Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Yeah its almost as stupid as a hero that's based on like, the clock intervals of night and day. Or a hero thats based around the foliage lol what idiotic mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Is HoN even played by many people anymore? The last thing I remember about the game was it taking on Dota's F2P model. How has the game changed since then?

But yeah that sounds kinda cool honestly, I like the concept of heroes changing the terrain on a global scale.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Clock heroes and tree heroes and water heroes are very dota.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Is HoN even played by many people anymore? The last thing I remember about the game was it taking on Dota's F2P model. How has the game changed since then?

But yeah that sounds kinda cool honestly, I like the concept of heroes changing the terrain on a global scale.

S2 stopped working on it and are...

making another dotalike instead

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Changing the whole map to water sounds pretty awesome to be honest

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

One hero I really don't understand the low winrate on is Bane. As a support he's really straightforward. You have a strong nuke, a good disable, and a powerful ult. Maybe I'm underestimating how much nightmare can gently caress up teams at low tiers though.

EDIT: drat, Earth Spirit has a 32% winrate now :stare:

He offers just about nothing when his ult isn't up, can't farm, can't support in every situation, and is kind of a one skill wonder.

On the topic of PA: I LOVE S/Y on PA. gently caress drums. If you want move speed and some hp to go along with it just spend another 4 minutes farming and get s/y.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

No Safe Word posted:

S2 stopped working on it and are...

making another dotalike instead

Hahaha. "A second generation MoBA".

"This isn't your daddy's MoBA!" *crashing sounds as a LoL clone is shown on the TV*

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can't hear you Lars I'm diving the second I get bracer sorry!!

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

killstealing posted:

Can't hear you Lars I'm diving the second I get bracer sorry!!

Oh gently caress yea. I start diving at level 6-7. But bracer? Eh I honestly just wait til magic stick + phase boots and some levels.
I'm not at all advocating sitting around and farming on PA. Anything but. My entire motto for playing PA is "Don't be a pussy". Phase + stick + (life steal of choice) + s/y is pretty easily attainable by 13-17 minutes.

King of Spit fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 7, 2014

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really enjoy playing support characters(have played quite a few games with windranger, and really enjoyed lich, AA and treant protector when I randomed them over the weekend) but am really kind of unsure how to properly play them in a support role. I'm still a bit of a "noob" at warding(don't really know the optimal ward placements), and don't deward because I don't even know where to look for enemy wards. I also don't really know how I'm really supposed to play as a support. Should I try last hitting in the lane, should I just work on assisting in ganks(as a disabling support) or keeping the a carry going(as a more hard support like treant), or what?

I honestly don't even really like playing carry or mid-lane(with the exception of death prophet mid lane, which I've done ok at).

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I got a beta invite to that Strife game and holy poo poo is it horrible. You and your lane partner share CS (meaning if either of you get it, both get full gold) and your mid player gets pooled gold from all the other lanes as well.

Instead of Roshan there was some Yeti guy you killed and then you release like a giant yeti in your lane that is a super badass creep and wrecks Rax really fast.

I don't remember anything else, I played like 2 games, got pretty much near perfect CS with my lane mate, crushed the enemy probably 10 times each in lane and ended with a win and like 500g differential. It seemed stupid when there was no punishment technique or anything.

Also the itemization is stupid and much more LoL stat-stick like. Strife is pretty much exactly what you would expect if you tried to make something "new" but had only ever played a shitload of LoL and Dota in your life and had no real original concepts whatsoever.

Also maybe I should expand on why I disliked the water hero, his utilization of water is as follows: His Q normally is a nuke that silences BUT IN WATER they take additional damage and ONE MORE SECOND OF SILENCE WOW. His W does nothing extra because it makes the puddles. His E gives him Attack Speed/Movespeed/Damage/Invisibility on water and nothing anywhere else. His R just makes the map water.

So I guess it is a cool idea but the only novel thing I'm getting out of it is that he just becomes like a Riki/Nightstalker hybrid when he leaves mid lane to gank. I wanna see some sort of slide mechanism utilization where a hero can make a patch of ice that does what that godforsaken greevil ice skating game was like.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 7, 2014

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Scorps posted:

I got a beta invite to that Strife game and holy poo poo is it horrible. You and your lane partner share CS (meaning if either of you get it, both get full gold) and your mid player gets pooled gold from all the other lanes as well.

Instead of Roshan there was some Yeti guy you killed and then you release like a giant yeti in your lane that is a super badass creep and wrecks Rax really fast.

I don't remember anything else, I played like 2 games, got pretty much near perfect CS with my lane mate, crushed the enemy probably 10 times each in lane and ended with a win and like 500g differential. It seemed stupid when there was no punishment technique or anything.

Also the itemization is stupid and much more LoL stat-stick like. Strife is pretty much exactly what you would expect if you tried to make something "new" but had only ever played a shitload of LoL and Dota in your life and had no real original concepts whatsoever.

Sounds like there are some concepts from heroes of the storm in there too(or the other way around), namely the releasing a giant yeti in your lane.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dunno I usually try to get boots/stick/oov/shield or PMS and then see if I can just go ham with wand + a bracer or don't need the bracer. I don't play PA a lot so I usually get the bracer to be safe (I think it's good even when not necessary because you can dive that much more) though. SnY is really good but I prefer the basher first. Bloodseeker syndrome and all that.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
If you aren't buy aquila on every agi hero you are doing it wrong.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think raw hp helps more early on because of her decent armor and high dodge% but I haven't run the math or anything. Dunno if I would go full Aquila but the RoB is always nice to have.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Aquila is +18dmg for agi heroes for like ~1k gold. Not to mention the other stats, mana regen, armor, and aura. I think it's worth it beyond the RoB (why wouldn't you get RoB)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Usually get the RoB but recently been trying PMS/OoV/phase drums because can't hurt to try different things and liking it. I do usually start with armor ring and upgrade it in between tho but at this point I don't even count RoB anymore much like magic stick etc, it's just core

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ya I feel you. Try Aquila, it's really legit post-buff.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah both RoB and Wraith Band are really nice early game but I've always looked at it as luxury, probably because it only takes up one item slot (muh slot efficiency). I'll buy one now see how it goes.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

killstealing posted:

This also translates to real life, for instance when I socked my friend in the face when he dozed off in a lecture today.

So your friend just let you hit him in the face and did nothing about it? I wish I was cool enough to do that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

goodness posted:

So your friend just let you hit him in the face and did nothing about it? I wish I was cool enough to do that.

You really picked that part of an obviously false story to call bullshit on? It says right there he was sleeping. At least comment on the likelihood of me having friends in real life, or the brawn to pick up my dragging knuckles. I'm sorry but get good buddy.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

goodness posted:

In this scenario ks is Tusk and his friend is a position 5 support so I mean what was he gonna do

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

killstealing posted:

You really picked that part of an obviously false story to call bullshit on? It says right there he was sleeping. At least comment on the likelihood of me having friends in real life, or the brawn to pick up my dragging knuckles. I'm sorry but get good buddy.

I wasn't calling bullshit, I was just saying you were an rear end in a top hat if you did that.

Your dota advice is great though, keep it up. Supports are the real man's carry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just played on a team with Pugna, Lycan, and Terrorblade.

Nobody should have that much pushing power.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I just played on a team with Pugna, Lycan, and Terrorblade.

Nobody should have that much pushing power.

Shadow Shaman, NP, Tinker, Pugna, Terrorblade :getin:

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Bane is one of the best supports in the game. His nightmare is a good cc andaetup tool, his dmg debuff at high levels is good and his nuke is like a 7000leaf dmg hp turnaround so idk how he can be a bad hero. On top f that hea got googot good base damage and a decent animatjon dor harasa. Hes atraaight up one of the best anti odflaner heroes in he game.

Forgive the apelling my phone keyboard sucks.

Only downside is he scales so so and its mostly singletarget so his teamfight is worse the more peolle you engage.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

goodness posted:

I wasn't calling bullshit, I was just saying you were an rear end in a top hat if you did that.

I'm only an rear end in a top hat in real life when playing my lawful evil D&D character, sorry.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
The worst mindset people have in regards to supports is that they're "supposed" to die a lot. If you're 1/13/12 at the end of the game, it means you're bad as a support. In pro games, supports don't voraciously feed when they're losing, and neither should you.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

killstealing posted:

I'm only an rear end in a top hat in real life when playing my lawful evil D&D character, sorry.

Lawful Evil is the best alignment for smug

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Dr. Carwash posted:

The worst mindset people have in regards to supports is that they're "supposed" to die a lot. If you're 1/13/12 at the end of the game, it means you're bad as a support. In pro games, supports don't voraciously feed when they're losing, and neither should you.

This is one thing I am pretty good as as a support. My support games that don't consist of "my teammate fed axe/bloodseeker/legion commander/bounty hunter/other-carry-who-can-instantly-gank me" usually end with me along the lines of (2-4)/(2-4)/(20-30), which I view as being a pretty successful support, even if I don't ward/deward as much as I'm supposed to.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Someone has to be the bait bro

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

If you win the game, who cares what your stats are. :v:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I think new players should try some games as carry if only to imprint the importance of farming on them. That way they will try to get gold on every hero no matter their role because there is no such thing as a hero who doesn't benefit from gold and if you believe otherwise you are terrible. Looking at you, badsupports.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Carwash posted:

Yeah, that's bad, but you can still have a good game and finish 2/10/24. Especially if they have heroes that can just punish the poo poo out of squishy supports in teamfights or if you're a support that they want to immediately take out at the stasrt of a teamfight because you can make a huge impact in it (see: Enigma, Disruptor, Shadow Shaman, Warlock, Rubick, etc.).

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah, that's bad, but you can still have a good game and finish 2/10/24. Especially if they have heroes that can just punish the poo poo out of squishy supports in teamfights or if you're a support that they want to immediately take out at the stasrt of a teamfight because you can make a huge impact in it (see: Enigma, Disruptor, Shadow Shaman, Warlock, Rubick, etc.).

If you are a big teamfight impact support, and you getting picked off first then no, you are not having a good game.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Firebatgyro posted:

If you are a big teamfight impact support, and you getting picked off first then no, you are not having a good game.

Yes if you're only dying then yeah, but if you get your teamfight stuff off and then die after while the rest of your team picks off everyone else then it's fine. Just pointing out the other side of "dying a lot isn't the goal but you can still die a lot and have done kind of okay in some circumstances"

Like I think I did okay in this match as a veno but finished 7/16/34

Still ended up with the most hero damage on the team (and almost second most in the game)

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

No Safe Word posted:

Yes if you're only dying then yeah, but if you get your teamfight stuff off and then die after while the rest of your team picks off everyone else then it's fine. Just pointing out the other side of "dying a lot isn't the goal but you can still die a lot and have done kind of okay in some circumstances"

Like I think I did okay in this match as a veno but finished 7/16/34

Still ended up with the most hero damage on the team (and almost second most in the game)

Uhhh, I hope you realize that your Veno game is awful. That is a pitiful amount of damage for a Veno when the game is that long. This is exactly what I'm talking about, actually. You fed like a motherfucker and did a low amount of damage (for a veno). They also only had 1 BKB and no pipe, so it's not like your damage was being mitigated.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
If your team is losing, you will feed as a support, because you will die in team fights.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Carwash posted:

Uhhh, I hope you realize that your Veno game is awful. That is a pitiful amount of damage for a Veno when the game is that long. This is exactly what I'm talking about, actually. You fed like a motherfucker and did a low amount of damage (for a veno). They also only had 1 BKB and no pipe, so it's not like your damage was being mitigated.

You clearly watched the whole game replay (in 8 minutes) so thanks for your insight.

e: the game is older than I thought so the replay isn't available, but hey still good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If your team is losing, you will feed as a support, because you will die in team fights.

No.

No Safe Word posted:

You clearly watched the whole game replay (in 8 minutes) so thanks for your insight.

e: the game is older than I thought so the replay isn't available, but hey still good job

I don't need to watch the replay to know you died a lot + did no damage. Check dotabuff. Your damage was low, especially considering you were against a a team that had only 1 BKB and no pipe.

• Locked thread