Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As long as Levi doesn't know his own name then this is okay, for now. If there is any loving future indication he ever knew though, then yeah this is bad writing.I mean, I'd rather the characters not be related at all, but I will give Isayama some rope to strangle himself with before I decide if this is actually gonna be a bad thing or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
But wait, didn't some random guy, who wouldn't have insider knowledge immediately know Levi's surname? How would he know but Levi himself doesn't?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Wait wait wait isn't that cloaked girl at the end Annie??

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Petiso posted:

Wait wait wait isn't that cloaked girl at the end Annie??

[Joke about Isayama's drawing skills], but no, I don't think so.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

But wait, didn't some random guy, who wouldn't have insider knowledge immediately know Levi's surname? How would he know but Levi himself doesn't?

What random guy? Isn't it the other way around? Reebs said he'd never heard Levi's full name before.

Of course that begs the question raises the question of why Captain Evil saw any point to referring to him by his full name if we want to assume Levi (And by extension most other people) didn't know his own last name.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually, thinking about it, I actually really like this development, if only because Levi might actually get some character development now!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The day they capture Levi, rip his shirt off, and torture him is the day that AoT beats all manga sale records. Why am I spoiling a joke?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Considering that Captain Ackerman trained him and is the one who mentioned his surname, I'm pretty sure Levi knows as well. It's more likely he was aware of his connection with Mikasa but wanted to keep his distance for some reason, possibly because Ackermans may have connections with the MP Brigade or whatever it's called.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I just had a thought. Villain Ackerman said that Levi was his disciple, and we know that Levi was a street orphan once. Is it possible that Ackerman is a Fagin archetype, adopting ruffians and training them into deadly assholes? There could be an entire gang of biologically unrelated disciples with that last name.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Squidster posted:

I just had a thought. Villain Ackerman said that Levi was his disciple, and we know that Levi was a street orphan once. Is it possible that Ackerman is a Fagin archetype, adopting ruffians and training them into deadly assholes? There could be an entire gang of biologically unrelated disciples with that last name.

That's honestly my impression. Levi was an orphan that Captain Ackerman took in. Ackerman is probably related to Mikasa by way of her father.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 8, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This is probably insane, but in the big page reveal showing Capt Ackerman's face, he resembled monkey trouble to me. Then hearing his mention of some kind of anti-human 3DMG, with this taking place shortly after Monkey Titan took a 3DMG. This is probably in no way true but it's just a random thought that occurred to me.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is probably insane, but in the big page reveal showing Capt Ackerman's face, he resembled monkey trouble to me. Then hearing his mention of some kind of anti-human 3DMG, with this taking place shortly after Monkey Titan took a 3DMG. This is probably in no way true but it's just a random thought that occurred to me.

He has been a part of the anti-human task force or whatever since at least 3 years or so prior when he killed Historia's mom. The anti-human 3DMG is just a reveal of how seriously the MP's are about keeping the general populace under the thumb of the royals.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't think so. Grape Ape was surprised by 3d manuever gear, and why would Ackerman turn more humans into titans? The objective of the suppression squad is to "prevent war" by keeping the population under the royalty's control. The titans created within Wall Rose are much more vulnerable to capture and exposure to what the titans really are which goes against those objectives. It's beaten over our heads for 3 years now that losing Wall Rose means war between the surviving humans within the walls. Infact, the survey corps determined the truth of the titans because Monkey Trouble wasn't careful at all. Which is strange because he's listed as the most intelligent character in the series.

Captain Ackerman would be briefed on all manner of human technology and the goings on in the military. I don't think he's the beast titan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
At the risk of sounding a bit :catdrugs::2bong:, do you suppose that since there's humans who can turn into Titans, there might possibly be Titans who can turn into humans? Maybe Ape Escape isn't a Titan-shifting human at all, but rather a human-shifting Titan!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

At the risk of sounding a bit :catdrugs::2bong:, do you suppose that since there's humans who can turn into Titans, there might possibly be Titans who can turn into humans? Maybe Ape Escape isn't a Titan-shifting human at all, but rather a human-shifting Titan!!

Everything points to titans being some sort of non-natural being so I don't really think there is something that is first and foremost a titan. (Of course, they could have forgotten and consider themselves a Titan first, so then you could kinda say that those would be titans that change into humans).

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I think it was implied/stated that Ymir was a titan, and regained the ability to shift back into her human form after consuming a human-titan.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I'm wondering if there are other, non-Titan sized transformations that are possible (Like say a guy made entirely of that hardened uncuttable material. Like Greed from FMA, I guess.)

Based on existing examples, such a thing might have to be the permanent? type since all reversible ones seen thus far never substantially alter their basic human form when inside a Titan, and to make that variety work you'd have to add a little bulk.

Unrelated: People have come up with so many wonderful names for Magilla Gorilla, I wonder if we'd be happier never knowing his true name just so the fun can continue forever. :allears: (I wonder if that trend picked up in any non-English speaking communities.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How many nicknames does he have by now??

Magilla Gorilla
Ape Escape
Grape Ape
Monkey Trouble

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cute n Popular posted:

I think it was implied/stated that Ymir was a titan, and regained the ability to shift back into her human form after consuming a human-titan.

It was never stated nor implied, its just a theory

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was never stated nor implied, its just a theory

Actually it was translated into exactly what Cute n Popular said. Right here. Read pages 5 and 6.

I haven't really seen any other translations so I can't compare.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

Actually it was translated into exactly what Cute n Popular said. Right here. Read pages 5 and 6.

I haven't really seen any other translations so I can't compare.

1) If they were human titans at that point why didn't they transform?
2) She finally became human again, after being stuck for 60 years in what she calls a nightmare, so 'her position is obvious' she wants to stay human not die and protect Historia.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
It's never been great, but the art this chapter was really rough in patches.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Kild posted:

1) If they were human titans at that point why didn't they transform?
2) She finally became human again, after being stuck for 60 years in what she calls a nightmare, so 'her position is obvious' she wants to stay human not die and protect Historia.

Yeah we debated it pretty extensively when that chapter came out, people were pretty divided about it. It's probably just a lovely translation but I like to think there is a connection but of course there is nothing concrete about it.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm most interested in what is going on with the royal family. If it's as simple as them impeding progress to maintain their status, I'm going to be disappointed.

It seems like a forgone conclusion that if you simply wait behind the walls, the titans will one day find a way in and kill everyone. So why are they really pursuing their agenda of impeding technology and keeping the public in the dark about the mysteries of the world?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

Magilla Gorilla
Ape Escape
Grape Ape
Monkey Trouble

I've been trying to work Curious George in, but the thread always moves past him before I get to post it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Because you get to live the good life in the mean time. This is kinda exactly how it works in real life, right? People are plenty content to treat the world like poo poo and let the future deal with it or die horribly. It doesn't seem that weird to me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm most interested in what is going on with the royal family. If it's as simple as them impeding progress to maintain their status, I'm going to be disappointed.

It seems like a forgone conclusion that if you simply wait behind the walls, the titans will one day find a way in and kill everyone. So why are they really pursuing their agenda of impeding technology and keeping the public in the dark about the mysteries of the world?

It seems "preventing war" is more important to the conspirators than the survival of the humans within the walls. Perhaps because the titans are humans they don't care if everyone in the walls is devoured, humanity will live on. Just as a mindless and uncaring shadow of what it once was.

Or they have weapons to defend themselves with that they aren't allowing the rest of humanity to have. When Captain Ackerman confronted Lord Reese he didn't seem overly concerned at their predicament. http://www.onemanga.me/Attack_on_Titan/52/41/ infact now that I read it again, he isn't treating Rod like a superior at all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Red Suit posted:

I've been trying to work Curious George in, but the thread always moves past him before I get to post it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Baron La Croix posted:

It's never been great, but the art this chapter was really rough in patches.
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/56/46

Erwin looks like he's wearing a barely-sketched Halloween costume muscle shirt here.

DrSunshine posted:

Magilla Gorilla
Ape Escape
Grape Ape
Monkey Trouble
GOING APE SPIT!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

While we wait for the crunchyroll translation to drop, there is new Spoof on Titan!

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I can't really say I'm too thrilled with this latest chapter

I mean, what the hell tipped these guys off? This wasn't just normal paranoia-level poo poo, this was full out "We know exactly what your plan is, and have countered it with the exact amount of force necessary to neutralize it perfectly". That goes well beyond normal black ops and well into "1984 level surveillance" or "We're actually loving telepathic". Especially given how much security that Levi's Group has indulged in, and how they were so sure of the situation that they cut the loving throat of a major, powerful contact without breaking stride.

I can understand them being competent, but this goes well beyond competence and approaches supernatural power. The only 'Mistake' that they made was not killing off the guy's son (Who, given their hypercompetence shown, they should have been well aware that he was just hiding behind a tree). And I expect to find out they left him alive intentionally to set up another major victory down the line.

I mean, hell, if they had dudes this good all along, how did humanity lose in the first place? It would explain why they're not feeling terribly threatened by the Advance of the Titans though, if they're just letting them purge the population, then they'll unleash their supersoldiers to reclaim the walls, and the cycle begins again

Alectai fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 9, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Alectai posted:

I mean, what the hell tipped these guys off? This wasn't just normal paranoia-level poo poo, this was full out "We know exactly what your plan is, and have countered it with the exact amount of force necessary to neutralize it perfectly". That goes well beyond normal black ops and well into "1984 level surveillance" or "We're actually loving telepathic". Especially given how much security that Levi's Group has indulged in, and how they were so sure of the situation that they cut the loving throat of a major, powerful contact without breaking stride.

I can understand them being competent, but this goes well beyond competence and approaches supernatural power. The only 'Mistake' that they made was not killing off the guy's son (Who, given their hypercompetence shown, they should have been well aware that he was just hiding behind a tree). And I expect to find out they left him alive intentionally to set up another major victory down the line.

I mean, hell, if they had dudes this good all along, how did humanity lose in the first place? It would explain why they're not feeling terribly threatened by the Advance of the Titans though, if they're just letting them purge the population, then they'll unleash their supersoldiers to reclaim the walls, and the cycle begins again

I assume they have a man on the inside?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

There's almost certainly a traitor. I suspect Jean. Desperate to join the MPs, smart and ambitious. He may not know the suppression squads secrets, and he may be having doubts about his role, but he's my goto Judas candidate.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
The Crunchyroll simulpub is out.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Squidster posted:

There's almost certainly a traitor. I suspect Jean. Desperate to join the MPs, smart and ambitious. He may not know the suppression squads secrets, and he may be having doubts about his role, but he's my goto Judas candidate.

I don't. It would go against alot of his character development. Jean may be uneasy with what the survey corp has become, but he is even more aware of how terrible the interior MP are. Hange may have turned herself into a mad torturer but everyone in the interior MP are mad torturers.

My thoughts are that the interior MP were tipped off by Ralph and Sanes suddenly disappearing. That poo poo don't happen without any good reason, they were told it was a "tragic cart accident", and I don't think a suitably paranoid organisation would buy that. So they went in with their best men and best counterops, and found what they suspected. No need for spies or magic. The regular MP are good at dealing with the general populace, the survey corps are the best at dealing with titans, and the interior MP are the best at dealing with dissidents.

The interior MP don't need to know that the survey corp's plan is to coronate Historia. All they need to do is gut the top level leadership of the survey corps, send the rest to die with the titans, and that should take care of the stability problem. And even if the survey corps crown Historia, they're definitely not going to have the loyalty of interior MPs, who are probably briefed with enough state secrets and are sufficiently motivated that individual members will melt into the general populace and launch continuous attacks at any new regime, even if the interior MP's leadership is crippled.

(why yes, I have recently finished GITS: SAC)

Edit: you don't even need a spy in the survey corps. A spy in the merchant's organisation is enough. The survey corps hosed up, their allies were leaky as gently caress.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 9, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alectai posted:

They probably were been planning to kill Dimo anyway. Since their introduction they've been serious about making sure loose ends get tied. When you have a puppet king in your pocket and are able to make subtle threats to someone who is suggested to be a ringleader of the conspirators they've obviously got a lot of power.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 9, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't think Jean is the traitor either (like Phobophilia says, it goes against all of his character development), but he got a few shots subtly framed around him this chapter and he's clearly not happy with any part of this situation. To go back to an earlier conversation, I could see him and Erwin/Armin being opposed at some point in the future.

Also, :lol: at Eren's eagerness to have Historia punish Levi if she becomes queen.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Ackerman trained Levi and therefore knows his habits, strategies and line of thought. No magic here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

Magilla Gorilla
Ape Escape
Grape Ape
Monkey Trouble
Funky The Monkey.

Edit: Mighty Joe Young.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

And here I was, happy that for once I'd be able to sleep tonight after reading the latest chapter. But I just had to check the manga thread for the reactions to the revelations! :argh: