Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

This is nerd face nerdsploitation!
If it were black/gay/female people...:v:

I think that's the point. I mean, you had the programming company Hooli have a picture of starving Africans in their breakroom suggesting "We're such good guys"
And how many times did someone say that Silicon Valley is the "cradle of innovation" or at the beginning, that party with people who just got bought out. Even the CEO is his own brand of insufferable with his stupid feet-shoes and the board(VP, etc.) talking about how it was a "Life-changing experience" to meet with him.
I did like his observation about the makeup of Programmer groups. Four white guys and an IndianEast Asian.

There's a great thread in D&D about this. The woman who ran/co-opted/stole the #occupy twitter account who is also a software engineer is exactly like the people being parodized in the show: completely bought in to the company tech cult, better apps/software can cure all the world's ills, etc. She started a "campaign" to have Eric Schmidt named the CEO of America because Innovation! This show reminded me very strongly of that.

Uh the actor that is playing Peter Gregory is dead now?

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I loved it. I was around during the first tech bubble doing server architecture and now that I've been in software for 8 years and live an area (Waterloo, ON) that is full of start ups this really made me laugh.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

Uh the actor that is playing Peter Gregory is dead now?

Yeah, Christopher Evan Welch died of lung cancer in December. He filmed all of his scenes for this season before his death, but it's still a shame. It looks like he was going to be an important long-term character on the show. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if they'll recast or kill off the character? You know, to sound as callous as possible.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Man this show physically hurt. It's like injecting a year of reading Hacker News straight into my sensory cortex. I mean it had not-Peter-Theil, not-Eric-Schmidt, and even actual Erir Schmidt, and they're all as lovely as ever. I'm gonna have to keep watching just to see if they get absolutely every horrible thing about startup culture into this show's run.

Also why is Grindr becoming mainstream knowledge...it's kinda embarrassing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wasn't even aware until now that Grindr is a real thing.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

hcreight posted:

I wasn't even aware until now that Grindr is a real thing.

Tinder is the hetero version of Grindr. :science:

Edit:

Looks like they put up a site for Pied Piper.

http://www.piedpiper.com/#hello

Its responsive and everything.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 7, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Grindr has been extremely mainstream for maybe a year if not longer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Storgar posted:

This link is also painfully true. God I am going to go insane and die of boredom here. :cripes:

By the way, I forgot to ask. Is this being streamed on Hulu or Netflix? I really, really want to watch this. How can I watch this without HBO?

HBO released the pilot on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvkmsI54ss4

The gawker story about a man walking through the Bay Area via El Camino Real is spot on, it's basically 90% bland low density suburbia even though the cities like SF and Oakland have some actually unique spots.
Even though ironically the massive infusion of boring tech dollars is even changing the unique spots through things such as the Starbucks effect.

Also all the big name companies like Facebook or Google are jokingly referred to cult compounds by locals since the whole startup culture is pretty much focused at spending the whole day in
the parallel universe. It's pretty much why the companies provide such over the top amenities such as free lunch/shuttles/all types of snacks/full service gym since they want their employees to stay at work cranking out product and also develop a cult like admiration for the overpaid founders of the startup.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

etalian posted:

HBO released the pilot on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvkmsI54ss4

The gawker story about a man walking through the Bay Area via El Camino Real is spot on, it's basically 90% bland low density suburbia even though the cities like SF and Oakland have some actually unique spots.
Even though ironically the massive infusion of boring tech dollars is even changing the unique spots through things such as the Starbucks effect.

Also all the big name companies like Facebook or Google are jokingly referred to cult compounds by locals since the whole startup culture is pretty much focused at spending the whole day in
the parallel universe. It's pretty much why the companies provide such over the top amenities such as free lunch/shuttles/all types of snacks/full service gym since they want their employees to stay at work cranking out product and also develop a cult like admiration for the overpaid founders of the startup.

Speaking of Gawker, Valleywag is always a fun entertaining read - http://valleywag.gawker.com/ that I assume this show will take a lot of cues from.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

Speaking of Gawker, Valleywag is always a fun entertaining read - http://valleywag.gawker.com/ that I assume this show will take a lot of cues from.

This is great, basically the crime blotter equivalent of tech startup weirdo stories.

Veskit posted:

Perfect pilot, and it really hits what it's like there, even down to the loving super ugly 50s/60s style house they're programming in. Makes me not miss home.

It's super crazy to me how well Mike Judge can portray such diverse worlds/regions so perfectly.

another fun fact for people not familiar with the Bay Area, it has really ancient housing stock since the whole ever increasing prices provides incentive to never build new houses or even make improvements.

So basically you get a ugly rear end ranch house from the 1950s or 1960s which would sell in a heartbeat around $1.5 to $2 million dollars in the more snobbish areas like Palo Alto.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 8, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

etalian posted:

It's pretty much why the companies provide such over the top amenities such as free lunch/shuttles/all types of snacks/full service gym since they want their employees to stay at work cranking out product and also develop a cult like admiration for the overpaid founders of the startup.

We also do it because really attractive perks may not cost the company much at all, but to a candidate might be what makes them choose us. Good developers can be a chore to find and hire, and some bite on silly stuff like expansive free beer selection or free Spotify premium.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dave posted:

Grindr has been extremely mainstream for maybe a year if not longer.

As soon as Stephen Fry brought it up on Top Gear it went mainstream. That was 2010.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Man, as soon as Kid Rock went "gently caress these people" I knew this was going to be amazing. I had to physically stop watching at some points because it was funny, painful, or a combination of both. Also the housemates are goony as gently caress.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

ultramiraculous posted:

Man this show physically hurt. It's like injecting a year of reading Hacker News straight into my sensory cortex. I mean it had not-Peter-Theil, not-Eric-Schmidt, and even actual Erir Schmidt, and they're all as lovely as ever. I'm gonna have to keep watching just to see if they get absolutely every horrible thing about startup culture into this show's run.

Also why is Grindr becoming mainstream knowledge...it's kinda embarrassing.

Was I sleeping when they mentioned Grindr?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Tinder is the hetero version of Grindr. :science:

Edit:

Looks like they put up a site for Pied Piper.

http://www.piedpiper.com/#hello

Its responsive and everything.
First time I heard of Tinder, I thought it was called "Timber" and was Grindr for Lumberjack Bears or something.

Also, that website is great. SaaS, "cloud", multi-platform functionality, it's really real. Nothing but buzzwords without coming off as "I'll create a GUI interface using visual basic and see if I can track an IP address" :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

First time I heard of Tinder, I thought it was called "Timber" and was Grindr for Lumberjack Bears or something.

Also, that website is great. SaaS, "cloud", multi-platform functionality, it's really real. Nothing but buzzwords without coming off as "I'll create a GUI interface using visual basic and see if I can track an IP address" :allears:

You are not far off about Grindr being for bears.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EL BROMANCE posted:

As soon as Stephen Fry brought it up on Top Gear it went mainstream. That was 2010.

That's where I found out about it. The best part is on some shots you can see someone rushing to turn off there phone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

etalian posted:

I feel like that would be more for Stubble. (Disclaimer: I've only known of Stubble for a couple of months. )

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

Not-Eric-Schmidt said he knows about Grindr: "I have gay friends!". I think this was after his assistant called it an app for gay people to find anonymous sex in public bathrooms.

etalian posted:

That's more Scruff's prescribed territory.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Certain people naturally didn't like being targeted by the show:
http://recode.net/2014/04/03/at-hbos-silicon-valley-premiere-elon-musk-is-pissed/

also

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Certain people naturally didn't like being targeted by the show:
http://recode.net/2014/04/03/at-hbos-silicon-valley-premiere-elon-musk-is-pissed/

also

quote:

I was just having a meeting with my information security team, and they’re great but they’re pretty loving weird — one used to be a dude, one’s super small, one’s hyper-smart — that’s actually what it is

:crossarms:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Then, Musk made the observation that the geeks are without the same social aspirations as those in the entertainment industry, an aspect which he thought the show completely missed.

“The parties in Silicon Valley are amazing because people don’t care about how they’re perceived socially, which I don’t think Mike [Judge] got. Hollywood is a place where people always care about what the public will think of them … and the show felt more like that,” he said. “I’ve lived in Hollywood 12 years, and I’ve never been to a loving good party.”

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Musk reached for a bacon waffle and proclaimed that he would take Judge to Burning Man this year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This looks like a fun party, no need to travel all the way to LA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J23ENOcTcc

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm not sure if I laughed harder at the bike meeting or the doctor pitching his start-up. The cast is phenomenal.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the meeting bikes are a real thing. Source: I work at Google.

Oh yeah, and the show is great.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The doctor by the way is played by Andy Daly who is starring in his own excellent show on Comedy Central, Review with Forrest McNeil.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Holy poo poo. This show keeps getting better and better after finding out that all of the absurd poo poo that happened in the pilot actually happens in that world. Seriously, bike meetings are a real thing? :wtc:

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I just saw the pilot and I am extremely disappointed (in myself). Nothing in this show made me laugh. I'm too used to the culture. :negative:

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
Really need to thank the show for helping make a point to a group of friends, the timing was impeccable.

I was in the US for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago and swung by to visit a couple of friends in San Jose, one of them worked at google, and the other with Facebook, I then had the chance to attend a really lovely but large party and literally everyone I met was part of some startup and it seemed surreal to me (some of them even tried to pitch me their startups). I was just with a group of friends talking about this weird crazy unique culture, then we decided to watch the show and It was incredible how spot on it was with everything I mentioned.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Wait, bike meetings are real? Hahaha wow. I also love that article about Elon Musk at the premier.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Living on the east coast and working for a few tech corporations has given me the scent of the kinds of people in this show, but not the full experience thankfully. Though I have been pitched startups by coworkers who literally could not give me a description of what their goal was. "Make app, get money" is the only goal most startups have it seems.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Wait, bike meetings are real? Hahaha wow. I also love that article about Elon Musk at the premier.

The burning man stuff was stuff right out of the onion. A self-congratulatory masturbation session for the one percenters.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

The way they travel in packs - that part's real as well.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

etalian posted:

This looks like a fun party, no need to travel all the way to LA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J23ENOcTcc

Minor point, but Silicon Valley is outside of SF, not LA.

Didn't anybody look at where the Poké Center was on Google Maps Pokémon? God.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Good show, it's like Big Bang Theory, but written by and for intelligent people.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

I was the only one in the theater who laughed at the ME3 finale joke
I totally missed this joke; roughly when was it?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm so excited for this show going forward, it's built entirely upon a King of the Hill dream team and the stellar cast full of comedians I really like.

It's too bad the guy playing Peter Gregory died, because even in 3 minutes of screentime it was readily apparent that he could play an incredible weirdo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sleepingbuddha posted:

Good show, it's like Big Bang Theory, but written by and for intelligent people.

The only real similarity between this and TBBT is that it has supposedly smart/autistic people as the main characters.

TBBT is "how do these nerds survive in the normal world" and Silicon Valley is " how do these nerds survive in the nerd world ".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Exploder posted:

Holy poo poo. This show keeps getting better and better after finding out that all of the absurd poo poo that happened in the pilot actually happens in that world. Seriously, bike meetings are a real thing? :wtc:

Yeah bike meetings are real, although they're rare. I've worked here a couple months now and have only seen one in-progress. Now I want to do one though.

In fact the bike model in the episode looks like the same one as on Google's campus. They may have borrowed it.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 8, 2014

• Locked thread