Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You guys joke, but if it wasn't for the US holding them down, Canada probably would've been sucked out the polar hole in the ozone layer by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

gently caress texas. everyone from that hole deserves to be flayed alive

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

punakone posted:

There is currently some hubbub here over a possible Russian disinformation campaign waged against Finland:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/04/finland-and-russia

Similar things have apparently been going on in the Baltic states.

Times I want to know what the hell is going on with our intelligence people.

There has been a lot of strange stuff going on around the Baltic lately. For example Swedish intelligence recently noticed Russians have been buying up large amounts of local tourist maps, like as if they wanted to equip large amounts of personnel with them. Which makes little sense from a covops standpoint, because then why wouldn't they just buy one and make copies? Mind games with Swedish intelligence?

It appears Latvia and Lithuania has banned Russian tv for a period of 3 months, saying the channels "programs were biased and likely aimed to incite discord". So they are definitely worried about the threat of Russia trying to much poo poo up and incite the local Russian minorities.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/latvia-lithuania-ban-russian-state-tv-broadcasts

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Courthouse posted:

Mind games with Swedish intelligence?

They totally do this.

We were out with these bog standard boring naval home guard (like the national guard) vessels a few years ago, about to go into a tiny port for the night:

We found an empty Russian embassy car (untouchable) right at our assigned civilian berth for the night, just to rub it in that they knew our sailing plan and our berthing space and no unit is too small and boring to be without interest.

We retaliated by placing the cordon juuust on the other side of the car so whoever had to leave his car right there untill we left. :colbert:

Once a few men were "fishing" from a bridge over to a nearby military installation in the winter, but they hadn't even bothered to make a hole in the ice below.

I want you to see me see you.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/sapo-varnar-for-ryskt-spionage_3442778.svd

Säpo (Swedish intelligence) warns for Russian warplanes.

Sums up what courthouse posted, its in swedish though.

This is getting pretty interesting. Id like to believe that Russia seriously doesnt plan for anything like whats happening in Crimea to happen here or in the Baltics.

Though doesnt every state have opplans for stuff like this, even if it isnt happening?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
My dream scenario is that Russia attempts to do a South Ossetia/Abkhazia/Crimea type action to Estonia, Finland intervenes to help a buddy out, and the end result is Continuation War 2: Putin Boogaloo

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Think it's pretty obvious that the US never plans for anything.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Benagain posted:

Think it's pretty obvious that the US never plans for anything.

It's because we're really loving good at winging it. Chaos is the natural state of the American military, GiP is proof of this. Having a plan is the first step in having it used against you. We just scream some poo poo about the Alamo and go off on their asses like a rabid spider monkey. And that, my good human being, is what makes America great :patriot:

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

punakone posted:

Säpo (Swedish intelligence) warns for Russian warplanes.

Sums up what courthouse posted, its in swedish though.

This is getting pretty interesting. Id like to believe that Russia seriously doesnt plan for anything like whats happening in Crimea to happen here or in the Baltics.

Though doesnt every state have opplans for stuff like this, even if it isnt happening?

(I think you mean warplans)

Looking at Georgia and Ukraine, it does not seem like Russia had some genius plan laid out ahead of what happened. Rather they had the resources, planning and will to take advantage of the situation as it evolved. The Baltic is probably safe, but it seems that if the situation would suddenly and unexpectedly change Putin wants to have the option to exploit it as well. And less overtly, use the knowledge that he has the ability to act in a crisis to leverage influence in the area by convincing the near abroad that they'd do best to not antagonize Moscow.

Also, a bit of it is almost certainly tit-for-tat over Sweden selling the NSA access to Russian data communications.
(Sweden sits on the main cable that links Russia with the rest of the internet, representing some 80% of their internet traffic)
http://rt.com/news/sweden-spied-russia-nsa-759/

quote:

My dream scenario is that Russia attempts to do a South Ossetia/Abkhazia/Crimea type action to Estonia, Finland intervenes to help a buddy out, and the end result is Continuation War 2: Putin Boogaloo

The contingency plans for which calls for people like me to die first, so I vote no. :v:

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 8, 2014

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's because we're really loving good at winging it. Chaos is the natural state of the American military, GiP is proof of this. Having a plan is the first step in having it used against you. We just scream some poo poo about the Alamo and go off on their asses like a rabid spider monkey. And that, my good human being, is what makes America great :patriot:

gently caress yeah.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I recall hearing that Georgia/Ossetia was done with Russia's conventional forces and that Ukraine/Crimea was mostly Spetsnaz (and that this has a bit to do with the scenarios playing out very differently - recall that the Russians took a whole mess of casualties in Georgia). Are there any non-tinfoil sources that talk about this, whether supporting the idea or debunking it? Prima facie it sounds plausible given that Russia's entire force was sans-insignia. (I've also heard hyper paranoid :tinfoil: stuff about Spets from a couple of vets who were stationed at Grafenwoehr in the 80s, but who knows if any of that was ever true).

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
The situation in the Ukrainian east is escalating.

quote:

DONETSK, Ukraine (AP) -- Ukraine's government struggled to stay in control of the country's eastern regions as tensions flared Tuesday in three cities. While the government managed to recapture its regional headquarters and detain dozens of pro-Russian protesters in one city, it said "radicals" were keeping 60 people hostage and threatening them in another city.

Unknown "separatists" with weapons and explosives were threatening the hostages inside a security service branch in the city of Luhansk, the Ukrainian Security Service said in a statement Tuesday.

It was not clear who the hostages were or if they were security service employees. The building was seized Sunday by armed pro-Russian protesters.

Earlier Tuesday, Ukrainian authorities battled with pro-Russian protesters but regained control over a government building in Kharkiv, the country's second-largest city, evicting the protesters and detaining dozens.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_UKRAINE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Still no reports of any well disciplined "militias" with no insignias showing up. So we are perhaps not quite in Crimea territory yet here.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Courthouse posted:

Still no reports of any well disciplined "militias" with no insignias showing up. So we are perhaps not quite in Crimea territory yet here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ST-eBMo9d0

quote:

Good morning!

I would like to appeal with an official statement from the headquarters of the Lugansk Region from the building of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) in the city of Lugansk.

First: here, in this building, of the SBU, in the city of Lugansk, there have never been, and are not now, representatives of the Russian Federation. There are no agents of the FSB or Russian citizens.

At this moment, there are residents of the city of Lugansk, and the Lugansk Region, and only we, citizens of Ukraine.

And we have here Afghan war vets, border guards, representatives of civilian professions, and we have only one, single lawful demand – we want to hold a referendum.

That is the expression of the will of our people, and we want to be heard.

If — and I see you have turned off the electricity, and are preparing a storm — against who? against us, combat officers, who only want to hold a referendum, then welcome to hell. We’ll give you a good welcome. God be with you, gentlemen officers!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Are there any non-tinfoil sources that talk about this, whether supporting the idea or debunking it? Prima facie it sounds plausible given that Russia's entire force was sans-insignia.

They had a bunch of eotech sights and other super nice gear, some of which is apparently only given to spetsnaz. Also they seemed pretty good in general, looking professional and continuously de-escalating on the fly, neither of which a regular unit can be trusted with. There was one guy who left his name tag visible and via social media he got tied however accurately to special forces but then again, internet "investigation."

So no firm proof, but lots of circumstantial evidence as far as I'm aware.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It also seems the Ukrainian parliamentary discussions on the proposed constitutional changes are going well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrLuUJqD3c4

A reminder if you're wondering who is who, the Euro thumbrule that if a politician doesn't wear a tie, he's probably a Communist, seems to hold true here

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Snowdens Secret posted:

the Euro thumbrule that if a politician doesn't wear a tie, he's probably a Communist

:v:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Bahgawd I always knew that there Obungler was a commie muslim fascist.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Booblord Zagats posted:

booblord for mod 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Merkel gets a pass

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Helldump Immunity. posted:

booblord for mod 2014

Only if I can be the sole mod of E/N.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So the army is cracking down on womens hairstyles. This is of course seen as an attack on blacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/politics/army-hairstyle-ban-debate/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

crappy news network posted:

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. Army's new ban on many types of ethnic hairstyles has African-American women who wear their coifs in dreadlocks, braids and cornrows in a twist.
The Army's regulations stipulate such guidance as hair "must be of uniform dimension, small in diameter (approximately ¼ inch), show no more than 1/8 (inch) of the scalp between the braids."
Dreadlocks "against the scalp or free-hanging" are banned. "Unkempt" or "matted" braids and cornrows are also considered dreadlocks and "are not authorized," according to the regulations that were updated this month.
It's that type of language, words like "unkempt" and "matted," that read to some African Americans, as code for racial bias.

Women should have the same standards for hair as the men, then see how they complain.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

ded posted:

Women should have the same standards for hair as the men, then see how they complain.

This but unironically.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

This but unironically.

All standards, not just hair

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

So the army is cracking down on womens hairstyles. This is of course seen as an attack on blacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/politics/army-hairstyle-ban-debate/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Just another incident of White Amerikkka forcing people of color to fit within white cultural norms. :v:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/04/08/north-korea-offical-executed-flamethrower/7475895/

North Korean executed via flamethrower.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Snowdens Secret posted:

This, my god this.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

North Korea leads the world in sick rear end excecution styles

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 9, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

gleep gloop posted:

North Korea leads the world in sick rear end excecution styles burns

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/08/us-iran-nuclear-usa-breakout-idUSBREA3719I20140408

quote:

Iran can produce fissile material for an atomic weapon in two months, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday told a Senate hearing in which he faced tough questions from lawmakers about negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program.

"I think it's public knowledge today that we're operating with a time period for a so-called breakout of about two months. That's been in the public domain," Kerry testified at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing.

"So six months to 12 months is - I'm not saying that's what we'd settle for, but even that is significantly more," Kerry said in response to a question about whether a "breakout" window of up to a year was the negotiators' goal.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

send in the jews

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pretty sure that's the Saudi plan in a nutshell

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Democracy has prevailed in Pakistan :hfive:

quote:

A nine-month-old boy charged with planning a murder, threatening police and interfering with state affairs in Pakistan has been granted bail after appearing in court this week.

Toddler Muhammad Mosa Khan was booked in February along with 30 other people, including a number of members of his family, after stones were allegedly thrown at police and energy officials during raids on homes in Lahore. Residents had been accused of not paying for electricity.

Apparently deciding that the nine month old was capable of - and had - taken part in the alleged stone throwing, Sub-Inspector Kashif Ahmed decided to arrest the child.

What followed were farcical scenes in which the toddler was fingerprinted and made to sit on his grandfather’s lap in court, drinking his bottle.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/ninemonthold-boy-charged-with-attempted-murder-in-pakistan-granted-bail-by-judge-9241959.html

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Nine months old and he already thuggin

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Neo Duckberg posted:

Nine months old and he already thuggin

:snoop:

Kid's a cold hard killer, straight out of the crib

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

orange juche posted:

:snoop:

Kid's a cold hard killer, straight out of the crib

Cradle 2 da grave

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Glass that duplicitous piece of poo poo country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Glass this duplicitous piece of poo poo planet.

• Locked thread