Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

getting the PPVs on the Network is the selling point for me. Everything else is a convenience.

Yeah, I was if anything more excited about the archives at first until I realized that I watch too drat much wrestling as is and really wouldn't take full advantage. Without the PPVs I don't think I'd resub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I wonder how long until they show Hard Knocks.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Not overly fussed about PPVs staying/going, but it is a sweet deal what we have, I hope they stay around. It's WWE's propery surely, so gently caress the TV people :colbert:

It's all about having that background noise and random current/old school programming on tv/ipad.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Deadpool posted:

I'm inclined to agree with Dave and Bryan in that next year Wrestlemania won't be on the Network and maybe not even Rumble or Summerslam. But I don't think they'll also raise the price. They'll probably do one or the other. I'd say it'll probably be removing the big PPVs.

It's probably a lot safer for them to just increase the price of the network to profitability rather than not show the ppvs. If the users of the network are predominantly hardcore fans like it seems then they aren't going to really care too much about the price increasing (even though they will whine about it)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also, as much as everyone wants to ironically watch Blackman's Bounties, I could see them dialing back their plans for original programming (other than the cheap "talking heads discuss a top 10 list" variety) to reduce costs. I'd have no issue with this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They've got a backlog of stuff to round out the network before having to worry about putting together new shows. Some of that legends house footage is from like 2009.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bleh, trying to watch the RAW backstage pass on VOD, thing works fine for 45 seconds then the TV PG logo comes up, and takes me to the 5 second content rating starter screen again when clicked on. Then refuses to load once that's played. Anyone else had this?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I can't decide whether I'm actually excited about Legends House or not. One thing that I found odd though. When looking up the series on Wikipedia, it claims that it's a 10 episode series that was filmed over 21 weeks. That's a really long period of time for a 10 episode reality series.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Acrolos posted:

I can't decide whether I'm actually excited about Legends House or not. One thing that I found odd though. When looking up the series on Wikipedia, it claims that it's a 10 episode series that was filmed over 21 weeks. That's a really long period of time for a 10 episode reality series.

The 21 weeks include a lot of naptime.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

getting the PPVs on the Network is the selling point for me. Everything else is a convenience.

Legends House. :colbert:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Xenoletum posted:

Them trying to go back to PPV for one or two events a year would be suicide as it would allow the cable companies to just straight up tell them to gently caress off.

This is the most logical reason why they won't go back to putting the big events on Cable/Satellite. They are already pissing off those televisions providers by taking all the PPVs to the network, which is a huge loss of revenue for them. Dish Network threatened to drop Elimination Chamber, and it wasn't even a Network PPV.

I could see Dish Network refusing to carry PPVs, leaving a huge portion of their fans without a way to watch the big events.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gfanikf posted:

Legends House. :colbert:

Legends House is so bad that they couldn't get a TV outlet to touch it, but they managed to sell Total Divas. Think about that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

This is the most logical reason why they won't go back to putting the big events on Cable/Satellite. They are already pissing off those televisions providers by taking all the PPVs to the network, which is a huge loss of revenue for them. Dish Network threatened to drop Elimination Chamber, and it wasn't even a Network PPV.

I could see Dish Network refusing to carry PPVs, leaving a huge portion of their fans without a way to watch the big events.

The problem is this really doesn't work for Dish unless DirecTV wants to do it, too. If DirecTV is happy just taking what amounts to free money, then Dish really isn't doing anything but potentially loving itself.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sportsgenius86 posted:

The problem is this really doesn't work for Dish unless DirecTV wants to do it, too. If DirecTV is happy just taking what amounts to free money, then Dish really isn't doing anything but potentially loving itself.

Who knows how it is going to play out by Wrestlemania 31, because that's very true too that SOMEONE might see it as some money being better than no money. But we all know that television providers are greedy assholes, and don't see airing only the big PPVs as "free money", but more like a bargaining chip of "Want us to carry your non network PPV? Then give us more non network PPV exclusives" which will further hurt the network.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Legends House is so bad that they couldn't get a TV outlet to touch it, but they managed to sell Total Divas. Think about that.

Legends House :colbert:

:mst3k:

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I agree entirely, I think they would lose much fewer subscribers if they raised the price to $15/mo as opposed to them moving Mania/Rumble off the network.

Maybe they could do a $14.99/month "premium" subscription that includes all PPVs and a 9.99/month subscription that doesn't include them. Most would simply opt for the $15 a month sub, but at least some of those that pay for the 9.99 subscription would still pay for at least Wrestlemania either by upgrading their subscription for 6 months, or by just paying for it on PPV.

MLB.tv should have the infrastructure in place to block accounts out, since they have to do so with the MLB contracts.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 8, 2014

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Blasmeister posted:

Bleh, trying to watch the RAW backstage pass on VOD, thing works fine for 45 seconds then the TV PG logo comes up, and takes me to the 5 second content rating starter screen again when clicked on. Then refuses to load once that's played. Anyone else had this?
Same here. Heard Bryan cut a really cool promo on there last night, haven't been able to see it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Who knows how it is going to play out by Wrestlemania 31, because that's very true too that SOMEONE might see it as some money being better than no money. But we all know that television providers are greedy assholes, and don't see airing only the big PPVs as "free money", but more like a bargaining chip of "Want us to carry your non network PPV? Then give us more non network PPV exclusives" which will further hurt the network.

It's hard to tell, but I would say Dish backing down and carrying Mania is probably a good sign for now at least regarding where the leverage is. It can change, but only if they do it together. If one decides to drop WWE PPVs and the other doesn't, it's only a matter of time before the one who drops them carries them again.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I agree entirely, I think they would lose much fewer subscribers if they raised the price to $15/mo as opposed to them moving Mania/Rumble off the network.

Why do people keep saying $15 dollars is fine? Do people honestly think that customers would just accept a 50% price increase inside the first year? Not even netflix have those size of balls.

Why would someone agree to paying an extra $60 a year, just ....... Because?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WWE should take their biggest selling point off the network (that in fact provides almost all of the real value) and then charge more money for it.

They're competing with Youtube and Piratebay whether they like it or not, and making themselves less competitive with that instead of providing an overall better service will do nothing but hurt the subscriber base.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Only way 15 is worth it is if they have live Raw and Smackdown. At 10 and not having the ppv's I instantly cancel. Not really interested in watching legacy content or really anything older than the past year. I really should have done more research I guess before signing up. Just my 2 cents as a new guy.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

Why do people keep saying $15 dollars is fine? Do people honestly think that customers would just accept a 50% price increase inside the first year? Not even netflix have those size of balls.

Netflix actually did the exact same thing by splitting streaming and DVDs and moving to tiered plans, just so you're aware

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The thought is that the vast majority of the Network user base is hardcore fans who want access to the catalog stuff and would be paying more than even $15 x 12 per year for shows anyway.

I could see a change to some kind of model where it's $6.99-$7.99 for access to the library and PPVs 30 days later and $14.99 for catalog plus the PPVs live.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Netflix actually did the exact same thing by splitting streaming and DVDs and moving to tiered plans, just so you're aware

Yes but no one except old people actually has a plan other than just streaming so no one gives a poo poo and those other plans may as well not exist.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think if there is a price increase the idea is that it'd be to like 11.99 or something.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes but no one except old people actually has a plan other than just streaming so no one gives a poo poo and those other plans may as well not exist.
There are people who will pay for the huge library just like there are people who will pay for the WWE PPV library

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pricing is usually done by forecasting. Since forecasting relies on variables, it is (easily) possible to miss the mark. If a price increase from the initial price point is what is required to support the network's infrastructure and expenses without removing prime content like Wrestlemania, then that's what will happen. Most people wouldn't agree to an extra $60 / year "just because", but if it was what was necessary to maintain the feasibility of the network then it isn't really "just because".

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I hate to be Wait and See Guy but maybe we should see what the numbers are in a few months before having to worry about them overhauling the network model.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jackie D posted:

I hate to be Wait and See Guy but maybe we should see what the numbers are in a few months before having to worry about them overhauling the network model.

Yeah I think Meltzer/Alvarez were being weirdly pessimistic about future growth, I think good word-of-mouth and international numbers (when that opens up) gives them a good chance of getting 1 million before the year's out.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jackie D posted:

It's not happening anytime soon. People here are just discussing the possibility. This is 9-10 months away at the soonest.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

titties posted:

Pricing is usually done by forecasting. Since forecasting relies on variables, it is (easily) possible to miss the mark. If a price increase from the initial price point is what is required to support the network's infrastructure and expenses without removing prime content like Wrestlemania, then that's what will happen. Most people wouldn't agree to an extra $60 / year "just because", but if it was what was necessary to maintain the feasibility of the network then it isn't really "just because".

But they literally couldn't justify a 50% increase.

"Oh hey guys, we made a mistake on the original price and it now actually costs $15 for us to make money, so, y'know, that's that"

They can't just add 5 dollars on and expect people to just pay it. Especially since their trying to build a customer base to begin with.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

My only wish for the network right now is that they'd accelerate putting up old Monday Night Raws. I enjoy watching old PPVs, but watching them in a vacuum without being able to see the feuds build is annoying. Just pick a year and start putting up an episode a day so I can start following the plot. I'm fine if you rotate them off the network regularly, like monthly or biweekly, but let me see the build damnit!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah I think Meltzer/Alvarez were being weirdly pessimistic about future growth, I think good word-of-mouth and international numbers (when that opens up) gives them a good chance of getting 1 million before the year's out.

If not by year's end, then definitely by Wrestlemania next year. The major source of hesitation I kept seeing was that nobody knew how well the stream would work under high load at WM. Now that they've proven the Network can handle it people are going to be a lot more willing to subscribe for the next one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I still say Instant Queue is far far higher on my list of wants for the Network than even one more minute of content. Adding a bunch of nonsense with no logical way to remember what you've watched and how far into a video you were is madness. Macho madness.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The Wyatts Vs Shield should be fun as gently caress on Main Event tonight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

Yeah, I can see them making some small tweaks like not spending money on original programming or non PPV live specials but I don't think they need to be making major overhauls right now. They should see if they can get the break even down to 8-900,000 rather than making a major change.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sanguinia posted:

My only wish for the network right now is that they'd accelerate putting up old Monday Night Raws. I enjoy watching old PPVs, but watching them in a vacuum without being able to see the feuds build is annoying. Just pick a year and start putting up an episode a day so I can start following the plot. I'm fine if you rotate them off the network regularly, like monthly or biweekly, but let me see the build damnit!

They seem to be putting up a few a week from 1993, but that was hardly the peak of WWF, unfortunately. Hopefully the Monday Night Wars series later lets them put more Attitude-era Raw/Nitro stuff on.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

flashy_mcflash posted:

I still say Instant Queue is far far higher on my list of wants for the Network than even one more minute of content. Adding a bunch of nonsense with no logical way to remember what you've watched and how far into a video you were is madness. Macho madness.

They really need to add chapter support to every platform, a playlist/queue support, and also a resume watching on every platform. It would be awesome if they had every PPV listed like a season in Netflix, and instead of episodes, it would be the matches on the card. So you can just jump to any match you want at any time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DudeDeuce posted:

They really need to add chapter support to every platform, a playlist/queue support, and also a resume watching on every platform. It would be awesome if they had every PPV listed like a season in Netflix, and instead of episodes, it would be the matches on the card. So you can just jump to any match you want at any time.

I like that idea. Also if there were a way to index the content in such a way that you can select a feud/story and it'd show all the matches and segments across Raws, PPV's, promos, etc that played into that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fag Boy Jim posted:

They seem to be putting up a few a week from 1993, but that was hardly the peak of WWF, unfortunately. Hopefully the Monday Night Wars series later lets them put more Attitude-era Raw/Nitro stuff on.

Are those getting added episodically? Because I know they have a few full episodes of Raw and Smackdown, but they seem to be limited to randomly selected Greatest Hits like John Cena/Batistas first matches at the start of Ruthless Aggression and Steph and Triple H's vegas wedding.