Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

LogicNinja posted:

I hope there's a character walk speed slider or something because holy poo poo I almost quit IWD partyway through because walking everywhere took so loving long.

This is what you're looking for:

Dunno if it exists in IWD1 though; this is from IWD2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Krowley posted:

Dunno if it exists in IWD1 though; this is from IWD2.

It does. It also speeds up everyone's animations and makes things a bit difficult to follow at times, though, so I wouldn't recommend going beyond 40 fps maximum.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not in the Infinity Engine games, but rope kid said it will be an option in the game.

It's already in and helps a lot with exploration.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Not a big deal, but it seems to me, 'match speed to slowest' should probably be the default, and then ~power users~ can switch it off for specific circumstances.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If they're planning to include some kind of tutorial area it might make sense to make the default to not match the speed and then offer an option to switch it on during the tutorial. I'm pretty sure someone has already thought of that, though :)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fintilgin posted:

Not a big deal, but it seems to me, 'match speed to slowest' should probably be the default, and then ~power users~ can switch it off for specific circumstances.
It is the default. BTW it only matches speed for clicks made out of the combat state. If you initiate any movement while the combat state is active, everyone moves at full individual speed.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Is there anything that drains stamina besides being hit by an attack?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Camp time when you romance an npc. :heysexy:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Climbing the ladder while the theme song plays.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VanSandman posted:

Climbing the ladder while the theme song plays.

I hope in the included voice barks they have the bard class roughly humming the theme song (or main combat music) during attacks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

I hope in the included voice barks they have the bard class roughly humming the theme song (or main combat music) during attacks.
This would completely tip me over into playing a Chanter first.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILcBuUjmsJI

Comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gay1Cn2o4i8

2-3 years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HULQtKPN7E

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:allears:

Thank you for that. That's close. Very, very close.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

rope kid posted:

It is the default. BTW it only matches speed for clicks made out of the combat state. If you initiate any movement while the combat state is active, everyone moves at full individual speed.

Since it's only out of combat anyway, is there any particular reason that the decision was 'match to slowest' rather than 'match to fastest'? Especially in light of the fact that (if I remember rightly), there's no 'encumbrance' or other weight management minigame?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The fastest characters characters are extremely fast and you'd eventually be zipping around the maps in no time. I think it negatively impacts exploration when the pace gets accelerated.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
By "fastest characters" do you mean just monks or is there other stuff that increases movement speed? And does increased movement speed also apply when sneaking?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Please include this dialogue as some sort of easter egg, thanks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

The fastest characters characters are extremely fast and you'd eventually be zipping around the maps in no time. I think it negatively impacts exploration when the pace gets accelerated.

What about a trait where my character has a bum leg and incurs a movement penalty (but gain bonuses in other areas)? Because I like those traits for ~~powergamin~

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Considering the design purpose (e.g. reconciling the existence of D&D-ish healer classes and the freedom of party composition.), it would be safe to assume that Stamina is basically for taking damage. I think it's another case of simulationist interpretation gets in the shade of meaning of a certain use of vocabulary. Same goes to "Might" stat and "Clever" dialogue option.

Gyshall posted:

What about a trait where my character has a bum leg and incurs a movement penalty (but gain bonuses in other areas)? Because I like those traits for ~~powergamin~
Something like GURPS, which was an inspiration for Fallout system had such tendency, where the system allowed gamist players to boost up the stats of their characters in exchange for role-playing factors, but I highly doubt PoE will have such traits, judging from the info so far.

Sea Otter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 9, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Octo1 posted:

By "fastest characters" do you mean just monks or is there other stuff that increases movement speed? And does increased movement speed also apply when sneaking?
Barbarians get Wild Sprint, wizards can cast Fleet Feet, and there are other goodies that increase movement speed.

Increased movement speed only applies while running, and the scouting mode (used for sneaking and searching) is at walking speed.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I played Hordes of The Underdark recently. It was fun, but there was this annoying sequence at the end of chapter 2 where you cannot rest to recharge your spells and abilities. Attempting to save in one sequence also triggers a bug that prevents you from progressing.

All I'm saying is that I appreciate that multiple abilities recharge after every encounter in PoE, and I also hope that there are no long sequences with no room to breathe between setpieces.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This is basically how I played D&D, truth be told. Even had a Kant get angry and storm off because he was the only one who would make the "hard" choices. Needless to say, Planescape was a fun setting.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

The MSJ posted:

and I also hope that there are no long sequences with no room to breathe between setpieces.

Those can work fine as long as the player is warned ahead of time. The reason those sequences are a pain in the rear end is the game trains you to burn all of your strongest spells because you can rest between fights and you don't realise that you are unable to do so in a couple of the final areas until you have already wasted too many of your precious castings to proceed.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

rope kid posted:

wizards can cast Fleet Feet
Make it Fleet Street and have it require an act of cannibalism.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Here's a good interview with Feargus about the going ons at Obsidian: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3428795 on stuff like Oculus Rift, console development, and Paradox

quote:

What seemed to make more and more sense really was that split of: we can make sure that we put all of our time and energy and money into the game, and then we also get this publishing partner, which to be honest, they have a lot more experience as an organisation doing distribution, doing marketing -- talking to distributors in China and stuff like that -- than we would have, or even have time to do. So it just felt like a good fit.

On top of the fact that they were entirely understanding -- and never challenged us at all -- that’ it’s our product, it’s our IP. There’s no joint ownership, there’s nothing like that. It’s ours and it’s our decisions when it comes to what’s going to be in the game and what’s not.

And what's up with the Armored Warfare and Skyforge MMOs??

quote:

AusGamers: The recently announced Armoured Warfare seems like quite a big departure for Obsidian. Is that still your core of largely RPG-experienced developers that are working on that project, or more of a new team?

Feargus: It’s a little bit of both. We have a lot of people that have worked here for many years, and like anywhere, there’s lots of fans of League of Legends and World of Tanks and DotA 2 and DotA and all that sort of stuff. So in particular: someone who has worked for us since we started the company, is a guy named Rich Taylor; this is the stuff he loves. He’s even been programming these style of games since I think before he could drink, or drive.

As an example, he has 8000 games of World of Tanks under his belt, and he has contributed to every single game that Obsidian has shipped. So when this opportunity came up, he seemed like a great guy to put on it. We kind of moved people over onto it who were interested in working on it, then we fleshed out the rest of the team with other people that were interested in coming to work at Obsidian on it.

So what’s been really good is that we’ve been able, over the course of about 18 months, 19 months, something like that… sorry 21 months [laughs], we’ve been able to really take our time at building a team of people who understand free-to-play, and understand making big maps for super-fast tanks to run around and shoot far at, and it’s worked out pretty well.

AusGamers: And that’s with the same Russian publisher [My.com] that you guys are involved with for the Skyforge MMO, is that correct?

Feargus: That is correct, yes.

AusGamers: Are you able to elaborate on Obsidian’s involvement on Skyforge at all?

Feargus: Yeah, the thing is since we were already working together as two companies, and they’re kind of starting to set up their presence in America, and what they just wanted help with is, they said: ‘well, you already have all of the development infrastructure setup and all that kind of stuff, could we work on having you have a small team there, that in essence does sort of the Westernisation, and some work on the actual game itself there?’

They very much work very directly with that team, because it’s a team [at Obsidian] that’s never going to grow more than like 10 or 12 people, and there’s more than 200 people [at developer Allods Team] working on the game in Russia, and they’re the lead on the game. So really, a lot of it is us sort of helping them out. Also, for me it’s great learning a little more about that world of games.

Also found this short article about console versions of Pillars of Eternity (not ever happening) http://www.digitalspy.ca/gaming/news/a563603/pillars-of-eternity-unlikely-coming-to-consoles-says-obsidian.html#~oB4IwWnSya7cXd, which has a link to an amusing/horrifying prototype of Baldur's Gate 1 running on a PSX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGS34Lj7qA

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 11, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Whoa I'd totally forgotten until just now that Ultima 7 came out on the SNES.

Anyway.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Scorchy's url is broken, Here is the full article.

I feel like BG1 could have worked on a console but not the ps1, and not with that control scheme.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Clever Spambot posted:

Scorchy's url is broken, Here is the full article.

I feel like BG1 could have worked on a console but not the ps1, and not with that control scheme.

You say that, but that long ago EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE loving sucked. You'd have gotten used to it pretty quick, however they handled it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This week's update regards music and Justin Bell's composition techniques. There's also the ambient music for Dyrford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFYv7JhV5Lc

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Cool. Pretty sad and melancholy track.

Is this game out yet

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sounds like something out of Morrowind. That's pretty good, btw, although not really what I was expecting based on the teasers.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I was getting LOTR-ish vibes from it. A bit generic maybe, but hey, that's background music.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'm getting Arcanum main theme out of it, with little "milder" instruments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sounds like something out of Morrowind. That's pretty good, btw, although not really what I was expecting based on the teasers.

Now I'm curious as to what you were expecting

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Now I'm curious as to what you were expecting

Me, I'd say I was expecting something slightly more emotive or bombastic, but I guess I don't know if this fits before I've actually seen someone moving along the area and exploring it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Was expecting wub wub dub step and yngwie malmsteen tbh

e: with a verse or two from eazy-e

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Gyshall posted:

e: with a verse or two from eazy-e

That track's saved for chanters that run into their rival.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

That track's saved for chanters that run into their rival.

Rap battle that literally drops bombs? I can dig it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

evilmiera posted:

Me, I'd say I was expecting something slightly more emotive or bombastic, but I guess I don't know if this fits before I've actually seen someone moving along the area and exploring it.
I'd expect bombast for the theme song and fight sequences. I don't remember the general looping tracks from the IE games as being anything other than pastoral. Athkatla music was a little heavier on the brass and choral, but it was still pretty subdued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I think Arcanum's score is probably one of the only videogame soundtracks I'd describe as excellent, and it was very well performed/recorded, so I am not convinced PE's bears comparison to that just yet. Though it still sounds promising, and I'm sure I'll actually enjoy it once it has been recorded, since listening to sampled instruments always sounds boring/soulless to me.

• Locked thread