Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

Is there any way to force units that can both sabotage and climb walls, to sabotage them? I'm tired of seeing my scoundrel scale a 10HP wall even though I selected the sabotage ability.

No :( I really need to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Elf 4 has turned into the single longest and most frusturating slug fest yet. It has turned into doom stacks vs doom stacks while my heroes desperately run around trying to help where ever they can. I have completely given up on trying to win the naval war, due to the sheer amount of ships the enemy seems to produce. I had 3 stacks of galleons and they were more or less completely wittled down after a couple of turns. Where is she getting the ships from :psyduck:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Thyrork posted:

Congratulations for living the dream, that of leading the fae realm against the foul mortal upstarts with their foul smelling technology and cold iron. :magical:

Hum... campaign idea...

I realize the chance is extremely low/non-existent but i would pay double price for an expansion/DLC with a fully fleshed out Fae race. Yeah it is kinda close to the elves but i just love the idea of building fairy rings as cities, maybe fairies and gnomes as T1, T2 unicorn as cavalry, maybe satyrs as polearm infantry? Nymph as support and of course, the leprechaun(or Treant if you want to be boring) as T3 :getin:.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If Leprechauns are re-added to the game pls give them a special chance to hit mechanic so the new generation can hate them just as much kthxbye

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Triskelli posted:

If Leprechauns are re-added to the game pls give them a special chance to hit mechanic so the new generation can hate them just as much kthxbye

Just give them physical resist 100%, same effect in my experience!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The neutral races own bones and the happiest day of my life was spearheading an human warlord army's assault onto some rear end in a top hat goblin's base with a golden dragon.

Second happiest: running an all-toadstool fairy strike force behind enemy lines as a way to mop up a troublesome leader's cities. T1 and T2 defenders can't do poo poo against toadstool's magic.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Elf 4 has turned into the single longest and most frusturating slug fest yet. It has turned into doom stacks vs doom stacks while my heroes desperately run around trying to help where ever they can. I have completely given up on trying to win the naval war, due to the sheer amount of ships the enemy seems to produce. I had 3 stacks of galleons and they were more or less completely wittled down after a couple of turns. Where is she getting the ships from :psyduck:

She has densely populated islands with every major city having "Iron Grip" cast on it, her production is pretty bonkers even before the Ai cheats on resources. That entire map is really a giant race to exploit as much of the neutral sites as possible before going for the Killing blow on her Throne City.

Also funny bug, I have a Item that gives a Hero the "Fire Cannon" ability. The first time it is used in every battle it attaches a big rock to the Heroes Arm, stays that way till I leave battle.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

MadHat posted:

She has densely populated islands with every major city having "Iron Grip" cast on it, her production is pretty bonkers even before the Ai cheats on resources. That entire map is really a giant race to exploit as much of the neutral sites as possible before going for the Killing blow on her Throne City.

Also funny bug, I have a Item that gives a Hero the "Fire Cannon" ability. The first time it is used in every battle it attaches a big rock to the Heroes Arm, stays that way till I leave battle.

I had the same experience the first time, but I just did it a second time to get the evil path after beating the campaign, and managed to pretty much completely cripple her for good by like turn 35-40, and then finished her off by like 45-50 - it's possible! If it gets too frustrating it may be easier to restart and be quick and merciless with your newfound knowledge of the map. That free fire giant can get y ou a lot of cities combined with some good heroes and elven archers.

And MAKE SURE to give reskar the ability to cast Vengeful Vines - it single handedly will win sieges for you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I just realized the dreadnought's engineers' blunderbuss can completely wreck wooden walls and the defenders with a few bursts. Guess I'm going to start using them before I roll out flametanks after all. :getin:

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

When the game was released I was suffering from a really bad cold and didn't feel like playing (because playing means thinking means pain and also sitting up straight - UGH!). That didn't stop me from playing some campaign maps. Now that I've recovered I've been able to delve a bit deeper into the game and it's truly amazing how many options for army customization there are. Playing on Emperor right now and at first I had trouble deciding which way to play my Dreadnought. There is so much synergy to be exploited it's not funny. Go Draconians for fire resistance to use with flame tanks? Dwarves also for a bit of fire resistance and super buff Infantry? High Elves for Sidearms on cavalry and long bow support? Orcs come with super tough infantry to protect your machines and benefit from all the anti-magic stuff the Dreadnought has. Goblins add another damage type and get upgraded Swarm Darters which should be great for early game.

After some thought I decided go with High Elves because shooting Cavalry seemed great and Longbowmen seem to be a great cheap way to defend cities. I tried to come up with a better Specialization than the default one for the only High Elf Dreadnought, which is Air Adept, Water Adept, Creation Adept. I knew I wanted to keep Air for Seeker Enchantment. Creation Adept seemed to go well with the High Elf terrain preference. Water Adept I did not like. It didn't really add anything, although Freeze Water seems handy. Vengeful Frost is a nice early game spell, but not all that amazing when your starting hero has a musket anyway. Summon Baby Kraken seems superfluous when you already have access to Ironclads, although I haven't tried those yet. For my next game I will probably replace this with Expander. Dreadnoughts rely on cities to get their most powerful units so having cities grow fast at no mana cost should help with that. I also figure it increases the odds of the spells I actually want appearing for research.

Creation Adept has positively surprised me in the early game. I was struggling to clear neutral camps without incurring losses until I got Holy Cure, at which point I could aggressively level the Warlord hero I recruited at the start of the game and turn him into an unstoppable tank. I feel like leveling the Dreadnought itself is not as useful, since they only need a few levelups to enable most of their utility (Repair Machine, Rapid Reload, Throw Net). He needs to be casting Seeker Enchantment and Holy Cure anyway. Maybe this is a bit of a short term approach, but it seems like the main heroes scale mostly from research.

So I spent the early game pretty much just clearing camps with my two heroes and two Musketeers (my initial army died to carelessness) while exploring the map with Spy Drones. I constructed two additional cities and pretty much only built production enhancing buildings, walls and Longbowmen to defend.

For research I got Musketeers as soon as possible and then picked up spells and goodies that would help me clear the map such as Holy Cure, Flash Bang. Once I had constructed a few knowledge increasing buildings I started researching flame tanks. I got two of those and started aggressively taking cities and that is pretty much as far as I've gotten before I could finally pull myself away from the game.

Sorry for the blog post, but basically thank you for this great game Gerblyn!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Lorewise, how much time has passed between the first/second and second/third games? Also, is there a place with a good synopsis of the plot of the second game? I never finished it (finished the first a couple of times though), but I really like the lore of the games. The way the races have evolved in the third installment (especially the elves becoming murderous badasses) is really great.

Also, am I missing something about the end of the fourth (I think) commonwealth mission? After killing Laryssa and the evil draconian dude, Edward suddenly goes "welp some people are apparently trying to destroy the world, and also the emperor is now a bad guy so I better go kill him" without much explanation, and it seems kinda jarring to me.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Covski posted:

Also, am I missing something about the end of the fourth (I think) commonwealth mission? After killing Laryssa and the evil draconian dude, Edward suddenly goes "welp some people are apparently trying to destroy the world, and also the emperor is now a bad guy so I better go kill him" without much explanation, and it seems kinda jarring to me.

I felt it was pretty much the same thing in the elf campaign. dude magically appears, warns sundren of evil illumanti, something about them controlling the wars to kill everyone. Everyone just takes what he says as the truth, ether you believe him and be all goody two shoes. Or you just go down the path of mass genocide. :psyduck:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
A recap of 2 and Shadow Magic... eh, its not that easy to recap it without missing details.

Long short; A magical, demonic apocalypse, caused by a cabal of wizards who sought the ultimate seat on the throne of wizards, is thwarted by a cast of plucky heroes, spearheaded by Merlin.

Two thousand years passed.

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-story-so-far-part-i/

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-what-happened-after-shadow-magic-story-part-ii/

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-powers-and-lore-of-giants/

This happened. The dev journals do a good job of fluffing up the bit inbetween AOW2:SM and 3.

So campaign question: Its totally fine to bum around when i have my foe whimpering and research the hell out of stuff, yeah? :haw:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I wish unit, skill and structure information was available in the encyclopedia in the menu, any particular reason they don't include that stuff?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm just wondering, what is the typical early build order? Specifically, how quickly do people try to get new settlements up? Every game I've tried it seems when I meet one of the AI, I'm barely getting my 3rd city and they've gotten 5th or even more. For instance I tried a game as dwarf dreadnought, and thought I was doing ok. I met one of the AI players and he declared war. I was just starting to produce steam tanks in 2 cities and was building the upgrades for them in 2 more. I get near what I think is his main city, and see he has a tier 4 unit (I think? was a manticore rider). I figure I can probably deal with one of them, but as I sent around a scout I see another city with more troop buildup, and he had 2 stacks of that each had 3-4 of the manticores. I pretty much just gave up right then. That was around turn 30 or so, so I'm just wondering am I expanding too slowly?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

My first 2 things are usually a builders hut and a settler. Also I take my best units in a ball to go oppress independent cities and pick out a first city site asap. Then its usually archer of support unit spam for a bit to flesh out defenses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

I dunno, I've found sidearms to be very very useful - at close range it'll do like 15-20 damage, and musketmen are noticably less mobile than a teleporting unicorn rider or a flying griffon rider. When a unicorn rider teleports, they have no movement points left as if they ran max distance, which means they get in only a single attack which will most likely do considerably less damage than a pistol shot as well as incurring retaliation. This allows you to do something you can't do with musketmen - teleport behind the enemy walls, and shoot them all in the back. Then, on the next round, you are capable of melee, and are considerably more likely to kill them and win having taken off 15-20hp. That's the big thing that cavalry have one important thing they have that musketmen don't - the ability to win a melee fight during that two turn reload. Sometimes charging in is too risky, like being surrounded or an enemy with extremely nasty retaliation, or you don't have enough to get in melee range to a unit that has to die right now.

I mean, sure, it's not enough to take elf by themselves, but it's pretty drat handy/fun, and the +1 racial ranged damage doesn't hurt either. Plus, with the dreadnought skill that has +medal for archers, you can make silver medal longbowmen on top of musketmen - I find elven archers and musketmen are useful in pretty different situations. Elven archers have ludicrous range and the ability to fire every round, which makes them the best to man a wall. On the other hand, musketmen do massive damage with a single shot and can fire for full damage with only one action point, which makes them better on the attack, especially versus big, nasty targets who need to die fast.

With regards to quality muskets, I find orc muskets work pretty well as they get a solid 10 melee attack and good health. Also orc black knights are really nice units with their charge and lances, they can brutalize flying or mounted units and synergise well with pistols. Also orc shock troops are very solid melee units to mix with your muskets.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I'm just wondering, what is the typical early build order? Specifically, how quickly do people try to get new settlements up? Every game I've tried it seems when I meet one of the AI, I'm barely getting my 3rd city and they've gotten 5th or even more. For instance I tried a game as dwarf dreadnought, and thought I was doing ok. I met one of the AI players and he declared war. I was just starting to produce steam tanks in 2 cities and was building the upgrades for them in 2 more. I get near what I think is his main city, and see he has a tier 4 unit (I think? was a manticore rider). I figure I can probably deal with one of them, but as I sent around a scout I see another city with more troop buildup, and he had 2 stacks of that each had 3-4 of the manticores. I pretty much just gave up right then. That was around turn 30 or so, so I'm just wondering am I expanding too slowly?

It depends on the map size and the amount of AIs you've put in the game, but generally that sounds too slow. I like a builder's hall followed by a settler as well. Clear out nearby mines while scouting then go grab any independent cities nearby or get another settler out if I see a nice spot. Around turn 30 I'd want 4-6 cities to feel like I'm doing alright, which is usually when I slow down and plan to stomp on AIs.

Turn 30 is really fast for Manticores though, was this before the new patch or on emperor difficulty? Because I've barely seen any tier 4s before turn 70+ since on.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
If a hero has two rifles they should be able to fire every turn :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did they fix the broken rewards in the patch or something? I'm actually starting to find cool equipment. In my last game I got a hammer that did +3 fire +1 melee damage and two potions that basically gave a hero fire/ice dragon breath.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Did they fix the broken rewards in the patch or something? I'm actually starting to find cool equipment. In my last game I got a hammer that did +3 fire +1 melee damage and two potions that basically gave a hero fire/ice dragon breath.

I got a bowl of extra spicy dragon chili on the dwarven dreadnought elf mission that gave dragon breath - that item is amazingly awesome (especially when it's a dreadnought breathing fire as part of a line of five fire tanks). On my current random map my elf druid got 'essence of garlic' that gave gas breath, though I keep forgetting to actually use it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Not sure if this is a new bug or not, I selected my leader in a Tactical Combat and she had the wrong portrait on the top bar! She appeared to have the portrait of the last hero I had selected in the previous tactical combat. Switching between selected units did not fix the problem, but bringing up her details page did. Bormac Orcbane was very confused when her portrait was ... of an Orc. :I

Edit: Seems to be happening every time! I don't remember seeing this bug before, hope it wasn't a new one introduced in 1.09.

Also getting a lot of animation errors lately. I'll go to melee an enemy, the animation will play once, which deals the first hit but doesn't kill the enemy. Then the enemy will just keel over dead, the second swing doesn't animate and the damage indicator never pops up.

Also, Extra Small Maps. Please make them happen some day, regular small just aren't small enough!

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 11, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

jBrereton posted:

I wish unit, skill and structure information was available in the encyclopedia in the menu, any particular reason they don't include that stuff?

If I recall correctly, it was some kind of programming hack to make it easier to update the Tome of Wonders whenever new information needed to be added. Apparently the Tome of Wonders works by actually creating new units for display in the Tome, inputting its stats into the Tome so that any balancing change or whatnot done to the units and their skills and so on automatically updates in the Tome itself. Which is clever, but has the slight downside of not being able to view the Tome in the menu since the units aren't "loaded' there.

Speaking of clever programming hacks, minor irritation on my end: Please allow humans to pick their leaders before the AI does, it's annoying seeing the leader you want to use disappear because the AI decided to pick it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the game worth getting at this point? I mean, normally I would be interested in taking the plunge, but I just moved and money is a bit tight.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the game worth getting at this point? I mean, normally I would be interested in taking the plunge, but I just moved and money is a bit tight.

Uh, well, no one knows your financial situation. Are you unemployed? No, do not buy the game, because it will not help your job search efforts. Only you can answer this question for yourself!

Think about it this way, once you're settled in there will be a few more patches, and you'll enjoy it even more than we did. It's very good and stable as it is, though.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Unlucky7 posted:

I was asking a day or two ago and was told yes. For what it's worth, there's a dev posting here and he seems pretty aware of the issues people are raising, so it seems like the game will become even better over time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

THS posted:

Uh, well, no one knows your financial situation. Are you unemployed? No, do not buy the game, because it will not help your job search efforts. Only you can answer this question for yourself!

Well, not THAT tight :). But thanks!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
If you're looking at a list of games with intent to pick one, you wont go wrong buying this.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not sure if this is a new bug or not, I selected my leader in a Tactical Combat and she had the wrong portrait on the top bar! She appeared to have the portrait of the last hero I had selected in the previous tactical combat. Switching between selected units did not fix the problem, but bringing up her details page did. Bormac Orcbane was very confused when her portrait was ... of an Orc. :I

Edit: Seems to be happening every time! I don't remember seeing this bug before, hope it wasn't a new one introduced in 1.09.

Yeah, it's a known issue. It's rare and hard to reproduce, but once it's started happening it keeps happening until you restart the game I believe. I believe there's a case somewhere for someone to look into fixing it.

I'll make a case about looking into a new tiny map mode, I think I might already have one. Someone already suggested it.

Tomn posted:

If I recall correctly, it was some kind of programming hack to make it easier to update the Tome of Wonders whenever new information needed to be added. Apparently the Tome of Wonders works by actually creating new units for display in the Tome, inputting its stats into the Tome so that any balancing change or whatnot done to the units and their skills and so on automatically updates in the Tome itself. Which is clever, but has the slight downside of not being able to view the Tome in the menu since the units aren't "loaded' there.

I want to look into making some code to text dump all units out so someone can make a wiki out of it. Maybe dump all the data into an XML file or something? It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. We're doing so much in patches in stuff it feels like we're still in beta.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ugh, I'm going to have to start cranking out firstborn instead of crusaders, Trying to siege a dreadnaught is brutal as dwarves because flame tanks are strong as gently caress in sieges since they can attack every turn over walls onto your troops, and dwarves particularly have trouble with them since a lot of dreadnaught stuff is fire resistant so massing forge preists doesn't work. So far I've only managed to take cities by doing an equal mix of forge preists and crusaders and buffing the crusaders with the fire resistance buff forge preists give so the crusaders can actually get in range of the flame tanks without dying.

On that note, holy war is overpowered as gently caress. Literally doubles the attacking strength of almost every unit you have and turns even the lowly axedwarf into an instrument of doom.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

If you don't mind losing a couple of days or weeks of your life. It was already worth getting at the start, the core gameplay is thoroughly absorbing. There's a few of bugs, but nothing game-breaking and there seem to be some issues in the late game economy but nothing some tweaking shouldn't be able to fix.

Edit: VV Why the hell does that thing never drop for me, where did your find it?

Autsj fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 11, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Holy gently caress, there's a summon dire penguin spell.

Holy gently caress.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Deltasquid posted:

Holy gently caress.

Wait, how do I get this?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

alansmithee posted:

I'm just wondering, what is the typical early build order? Specifically, how quickly do people try to get new settlements up?

I find the easiest thing to do is just turn off the enemy settling altogether. It makes it easier to keep the game balanced.

I'd also found the Dragon Chilli before the patch, but I am definitely finding more interesting stuff now!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

THS posted:

Wait, how do I get this?

Vaults and the like, you know, treasure tombs with spell rewards.

:getin:

... we need a dire penguin emote.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 11, 2014

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm the only non-dreadnought in this game. The juggernauts, the juggernaaaauuuuu-

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
There's no way to set who leads a stack right? Would be nice to be able to swap that for healing leaders.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm the only non-dreadnought in this game. The juggernauts, the juggernaaaauuuuu-

What class are you? :haw:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

There's no way to set who leads a stack right? Would be nice to be able to swap that for healing leaders.

Nope, in fact, being able to swap in healing leaders is an example of why we never put it in:

1) I have 2 heroes in a party, Bob and Joe
2) Bob has Aura of Healing, I want him in charge when I press end turn so my units heal faster
2) Joe has Sacred Arms, I want him in charge when I fight, so all my units do more damage
4) So, when I’m fighting, everything is good. I put joe in charge, fight, then put Bob in charge after the battle
5) Then, someone attacks me, but Bob is in charge! The other player put their battle hero in charge, so he has Charged Army, but Joe is in second place so I’m missing my Sacred Arms.

So I see this, and then post on our forums asking for a way to set the leader before battle starts (not possible in Hotseat games, or PBEM games) or during a deployment, or in battle itself (not possible in autocombat, therefore not possible in many multiplayer games). Having everyone follow the same rules about who leads the armies sidesteps the issue. We're thinking of putting in a system where the game will automatically select the leader with the most army boosting upgrades to be the army leader, but I don't know which patch it will come in.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

We're thinking of putting in a system where the game will automatically select the leader with the most army boosting upgrades to be the army leader, but I don't know which patch it will come in.

That'd fix it, good to know its on the whiteboard. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deltasquid posted:

Holy gently caress.
Trivia: In AoWI Dire Penguins were the Frostling irregular unit.

• Locked thread