Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Zorak posted:

So Ping Pong the Animation turned out to be fantastic. It is an absolute treat to watch. As a sign of how cool it is, it has two Chinese characters with native Chinese voice actors speaking in natural Mandarin basically the entire episode and that is dope as hell.

And nobody has announced that they picked it up for the UK yet, which is really annoying considering the UK was explicitly excluded from the Crunchyroll listing. Someone has it, but they haven't started streaming it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Delusibeta posted:

And nobody has announced that they picked it up for the UK yet, which is really annoying considering the UK was explicitly excluded from the Crunchyroll listing. Someone has it, but they haven't started streaming it yet.
Funimation will often pick up all English speaking territory rights for a show and sublicense the UK rights to someone in the UK. Right now it just appears like they're sitting on them and the UK gets to suffer from their greed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I watched the first episode of Kindaichi R, and I really can't believe that this is a popular and long-running franchise. It is just so incredibly bland. Bland protagonist, bland female lead, bland mystery. Every single plot point required a different completely stupid coincidence. The modeling agent just happened to drive by a girl who just happened to be identical to a missing model and then when that bland girl got abducted the bland protagonist just happened to find the model in a nearby park who then randomly decided to trust him completely. See, if any of those utterly stupid events hadn't happened, then blandy wouldn't have been present at a murder mystery.

At least Detective Conan has the distinction of being completely nuts. This is just lazy. Oh, and blandy has a horrible nasal voice.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Knights of Sidonia is the worst thing I've seen in a while. The animation is absolutely atrocious outside of the one fight scene, and the story so far just seems like a very anime version of Starship Troopers, fascism included.

The whole thing about poorly animating ugly 3d models and removing three quarters of the frames needs to stop and I hope the show bombs really loving hard. Aside from the pretty backgrounds this makes RWBY look like Pixar. I am angry about anime.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Serious Frolicking posted:

I watched the first episode of Kindaichi R, and I really can't believe that this is a popular and long-running franchise. It is just so incredibly bland. Bland protagonist, bland female lead, bland mystery. Every single plot point required a different completely stupid coincidence. The modeling agent just happened to drive by a girl who just happened to be identical to a missing model and then when that bland girl got abducted the bland protagonist just happened to find the model in a nearby park who then randomly decided to trust him completely. See, if any of those utterly stupid events hadn't happened, then blandy wouldn't have been present at a murder mystery.

At least Detective Conan has the distinction of being completely nuts. This is just lazy. Oh, and blandy has a horrible nasal voice.
That's a shame, I was sort of interested in this since I like detective stuff.

Mercrom posted:

Knights of Sidonia is the worst thing I've seen in a while. The animation is absolutely atrocious outside of the one fight scene, and the story so far just seems like a very anime version of Starship Troopers, fascism included.

The whole thing about poorly animating ugly 3d models and removing three quarters of the frames needs to stop and I hope the show bombs really loving hard. Aside from the pretty backgrounds this makes RWBY look like Pixar. I am angry about anime.
Yeah, I disliked the manga so I definitely won't be watching this.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The OP of Sidonia is amazing though. If Paul Verhoeven was japanese and he made an anime adaptation of Starship Troopers that's probably what he would use.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mercrom posted:

You are full of poo poo. I agree that Sidonia's way of animating is janky and everything that feels stiff and they really, really should have stuck with traditional 2D. But I decided to watch a couple minutes of that lovely RWBY show to see the comparison and holy poo poo saying RWBY looks better than this is wrong, and if anything it's a ton loving worse.

If somebody asked me to watch RWBY and Sidonia, I'd choose Sidonia all the way.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

You are full of poo poo. I agree that Sidonia's way of animating is janky and everything that feels stiff and they really, really should have stuck with traditional 2D. But I decided to watch a couple minutes of that lovely RWBY show to see the comparison and holy poo poo saying RWBY looks better than this is wrong, and if anything it's a ton loving worse.

If somebody asked me to watch RWBY and Sidonia, I'd choose Sidonia all the way.
No it's pretty simple. RWBY looks like low budget PS2 animation. Sidonia looks like low budget PS2 animation that runs at 12 fps at best and sometimes drops to 6 fps.

Sidonia has way better art and would probably look better than RWBY if it ran at full frame rate. But it doesn't.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sidonia has similar CG to Arpeggio, which I really disliked. But dang, it is nowhere near RWBY's level of awfulness by any possible metric.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Srice posted:

Sidonia has similar CG to Arpeggio, which I really disliked. But dang, it is nowhere near RWBY's level of awfulness by any possible metric.
If you used some kind of stock character models and backgrounds and ran the animation from both shows on those models at full framerate I'll bet they look similar in quality. RWBY would look more rough but Sidonia would look way more stiff.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I've read 6 volumes of the Kindaichi manga, and watched about, uh, 500 episodes of Detective Conan. Kindaichi is way, way more gruesome and bloody. Much darker arcs. This particular anime case doesn't seem interesting at the moment, but I'm sure it'll spin out of control and have headless corpses and axes in the face soon enough! Mostly I'm curious to see if their buddy's constant video filming will prove to be a ~vital clue~ later on. My arm would hurt so bad keeping it raised like that for six hours straight.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mercrom posted:

No it's pretty simple. RWBY looks like low budget PS2 animation. Sidonia looks like low budget PS2 animation that runs at 12 fps at best and sometimes drops to 6 fps.

Sidonia has way better art and would probably look better than RWBY if it ran at full frame rate. But it doesn't.

You are crazy. I did a comparison again, RWBY has characters CLIPPING THROUGH THEMSELVES in one clip I saw. Look at their hands, they barely spread them out and at times they're almost solid gigantic chunks that just move all together to save on animating. Literally the only thing that RWBY has going for it is that it looks slightly more fluid, and well, when you don't bother to actually make the characters move like people (they don't, at all) and have really weird cuts and angles to make it so that things don't look awkward as poo poo, you can accomplish that I guess.

But yeah, keep believing that RWBY is somehow better animated just because the framerate is slightly better.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

You are crazy. I did a comparison again, RWBY has characters CLIPPING THROUGH THEMSELVES in one clip I saw. Look at their hands, they barely spread them out and at times they're almost solid gigantic chunks that just move all together to save on animating. Literally the only thing that RWBY has going for it is that it looks slightly more fluid, and well, when you don't bother to actually make the characters move like people (they don't, at all) and have really weird cuts and angles to make it so that things don't look awkward as poo poo, you can accomplish that I guess.

But yeah, keep believing that RWBY is somehow better animated just because the framerate is slightly better.
You are 100% right about RWBY. The thing is I think Sidonia looks just as bad, minus the clipping, but with an average of a third of the frame rate to try to hide this fact. People are just so loving used to anime they see the choppiness and think it feels familiar and good.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

ultimatemegax posted:

Funimation will often pick up all English speaking territory rights for a show and sublicense the UK rights to someone in the UK. Right now it just appears like they're sitting on them and the UK gets to suffer from their greed.

Manga UK has a deal where they're the UK sublicensor by default for all Funimation licences. But yeah, they don't do simulcasting, which means we're out in the cold. With that said, Animax did pick up Soul Eater Not, another Funimation pick up, so who knows. :shrug:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mercrom posted:

You are 100% right about RWBY. The thing is I think Sidonia looks just as bad, minus the clipping, but with an average of a third of the frame rate to try to hide this fact. People are just so loving used to anime they see the choppiness and think it feels familiar and good.

Even the still screenshots look weird to me. It's like there is an inkling of depth to the models since they're 3D but they haven't been colored or shaded to reflect that depth. It's like they've been shaded and colored as if they were 2D drawings and that discrepancy stands out to me.

Also, I don't know much about CGI but why is it that the frame rate is so low? I figured that the computers and use of 3D models would allow for interpolation in between key frames thus more frames and less manpower. Or do they have such little time, money, manpower, and equipment that they can't afford the relatively longer setup and rendering times? Or is the software they're using so bad that they can't use or depend on interpolation? I guess computer generated motion blur isn't an option either?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Sanzigen, who did Arpeggio, have outright stated they made it low framerate to resemble non-CG anime.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Also, I don't know much about CGI but why is it that the frame rate is so low? I figured that the computers and use of 3D models would allow for interpolation in between key frames thus more frames and less manpower. Or do they have such little time, money, manpower, and equipment that they can't afford the relatively longer setup and rendering times? Or is the software they're using so bad that they can't use or depend on interpolation? I guess computer generated motion blur isn't an option either?
It's there purely to make the animation look less terrible. It evidently works on some people, and they can fill in the blanks of the animation themselves, but it's not for me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Edward IV posted:

Even the still screenshots look weird to me. It's like there is an inkling of depth to the models since they're 3D but they haven't been colored or shaded to reflect that depth. It's like they've been shaded and colored as if they were 2D drawings and that discrepancy stands out to me.

From what I saw in Arpeggio and how they handled things, I'd say that the models for human motion aren't good enough yet to look right if you want to rely on automated in-betweening. If the rate of movement is too constant then the movement looks mechanical, which you saw a bit in the first episode, especially with some of the minor characters.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

Sanzigen, who did Arpeggio, have outright stated they made it low framerate to resemble non-CG anime.

I don't think that's a terrible idea, but in practice it doesn't work too well. My theory is that they're trying to direct the animation the same way as traditional 2D, and I feel like that doesn't work well. I haven't seen the first episode of Sidonia, but if they're handling it the same way then I imagine it looks just as awkward.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I couldn't stand watching Arpeggio, if Sidonia is the same style I'll probably have to write it off.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kanojo ga flag wo orareta: I'd had hopes for this since the concept sounded interesting, but the writing felt a little weak to take advantage o the premise. I'll give it a few episodes to see how it goes.

Puchimasu !!: I've never really liked the idolmaster franchise, but this is the least offensive form I've seen as well as one of the better paced short anime out there.

Akuma no Riddle: Didn't really do it for me. The characters seemed overdone somehow and the premise was kind of wishy-washy. There's still a chance it could improve, though.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Surprisingly good. The world was a bit generic in the way fantasy anime tend to be, but I like all the main characters a lot.

Mangaka-San to Assistant-San to: I actually kind of liked the 4-koma of this but I just don't know that it works animated. Gags that were okay for a second get dragged out for ten. Also sexual harassment.

Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin: Surprised by how good this was. Hadn't expected that much for how many settings they crammed into the premise, but was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. Might be my top pick after obvious stuff like Jojo and Mushishi.

Seikoku no Dragonar: I dropped the manga of this because I found it generic and boring; I haven't seen any evidence that the anime version will be any better.

Captain Earth: It hasn't really hooked me yet, but I like the mecha design, the astronauty theme, and the ridiculously overblown gattai scene. I'll give it a chance.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 11, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

I've read 6 volumes of the Kindaichi manga, and watched about, uh, 500 episodes of Detective Conan. Kindaichi is way, way more gruesome and bloody. Much darker arcs. This particular anime case doesn't seem interesting at the moment, but I'm sure it'll spin out of control and have headless corpses and axes in the face soon enough! Mostly I'm curious to see if their buddy's constant video filming will prove to be a ~vital clue~ later on. My arm would hurt so bad keeping it raised like that for six hours straight.

None of that disproves any of my assertions about the franchise. It can be gruesome and bloody but still have a lazy narrative dependent on coincidences and bland characters. Unless this was all anime-original content I can safely say that Kindaichi isn't for me.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Eej posted:

That's totally not an anime PTRD but an anime .50 cal anti-materiel rifle of some sort.

PTRD is the only anti-mat rifle with a side mounted scope afaik.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Eej posted:

That's totally not an anime PTRD but an anime .50 cal anti-materiel rifle of some sort.
What do you think the PTRD is?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fingers of Fury posted:

PTRD is the only anti-mat rifle with a side mounted scope afaik.

Her scope is on top though.

Pitch posted:

What do you think the PTRD is?

A .57 cal anti materiel rifle which looks totally different from the one shown in the anime!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/04/11/senpai-notices-moe-top-level-domain :cripes:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I want to like Sidonia, because it seems like a really unique world, but man that animation is rough. The guardians from Reboot had better facial expression.

Coffin Sniper seems to have a fun world, even if I think the cutesy robot protagonist could get old really quickly. I liked the combat mode toggling and the loose fantasy setting - it feels very D&D. Now if only someone would make Rat Queens the anime...

Even So, The World is Beautiful is the show I'm most interested in. Fun characters and a very likeable protagonist, and the promise of court intrigue and mild politics.

And of course everyone should be watching Mushishi.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've been saying for years that moé culture is a deep nuanced thing that I am happy to have dedicated my life to, and I am glad that the fat cats that run the internet have seen sense.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ping Pong: Yuasa series can be deceptive. They invariably strike me as something to definitely watch but never really hook me right away regardless, and usually have to end before I can even begin to formulate how I feel about them. Ditto here, pretty much. Wasn't blown away, can't tell whether the art is stylish or just ugly, and the dickhead characters were turning me off at first, but at least the show isn't shy about doling out comeuppances early, and choosing to focus on the lazy and talented as opposed to the feckless underdogs is a neat choice.

Captain Earth: This is the kind of show three episode tests(which are typically bunk in my experience) was made for. The second ep is available(EDIT:whoops, no it ain't! Sorry) as I type this, but the pilot p much came off like a more generic, more self-serious rehash of something these guys literally just did. This one could really go anywhere, but what I saw didn't inspire confidence.

Irregular at Magical Whatever: Good...just, great. Great use of your Iwasaki there, guys. :thumbsup:

Nanana's Buried Treasure: Nice music in spots, but couldn't really pay attention to ten minutes of this, which is somehow less time than I gave Daimidaler :psyduck:

Chaika no Hitsugi: Back in the day, Scrapped Princess seemed nice and pleasant and had some surpisingly skillful storytelling. I then drifted away from it for whatever reason and never saw anything beyond the pilot. That'll probably happen here, despite all of the above being, again, true. Like with Captain Earth and World is Still Beautiful, I dunno how much raw execution alone is gonna do it for me this season. That execution has to really be something special.

Haikyuu!: Simplistic sports show with some pretty intense animation and great direction. Could easily see keeping up with this as a more fun, more kinetic counterpoint to Ping Pong.

Kawai Complex: Great comic timing and a brave willingness to have an "unlikeable" cast (for an anime comedy) squandered on a show that's not actually very funny. It might even be TOO good at comic timing, because the first ep never seemed to stop. Some parts just ramble on and on to the point I assumed this was based on some gag strip or something.

Knights of Sidonia: It's a shame it already looks like discussion of this thing will be dominated by WAHHH CGGGGG because this is easily the most intriguing, if not my favorite, show of the season by a landslide. What I was expecting to be a lame attempt at a slickly-produced Starship Troopers pastiche turns out to be way more interested in establishing an eerie, Texnohlyze lite atmosphere and letting that speak for itself. The pilot is just one long stream of cold, sci-fi weirdness that just keeps stacking, the setting is fascinating, and there's loads of grim, almost Urobochi-esque little details to catch, but unlike his writing, the show doesn't waste so much time calling attention to them, which I personally find far more compelling.

The cg's a lil odd and framey in places, but they try to make it look more like a normal anime than something like Appleseed, and I think it has enough nuance and expression to work, if in a slightly off, unsettling way that loops around and manages to positively serve the story. The closing minutes tempered my excitement a tad when the aliens finally show up and they drop a lot of ANIME on us all of a sudden(hey there jealous rival. whaddup fiery tomboy pilot), but depending on how they let the chilly atmosphere gestate and how everything pays off, this show could be amazing. Hard sci-fi is something anime desperately needs more of.

So yeah quit yammering about the cg and just give it a shot, already.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 12, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Part of the reason behind the cg complaints is that the art and plot are BOTH great in the manga its adapting. Which I highly recommend checking out!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Eej posted:

Her scope is on top though.

???

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
GO TO TFR

The samey-ness of the character designs in Sidonia is really bad. I *think* there are a bunch of identical clones of one girl, but I legitimately wasn't sure. Is the manga available stateside, or is it a scanlation only thing right now?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mushishi and Ping Pong are shaping up to be the highlights of this season.
These are in my three episode test: Soul Eater Not, Akuma no Riddle and Hitsugi no Chaika
This is probably mediocre poo poo that I'll still watch to the end: Love Live, Is the Order a Rabbit? and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Eej posted:

A .57 cal anti materiel rifle which looks totally different from the one shown in the anime!
It's a PTRD covered in Nerf plastic and blue LEDs. It's a top-loading single shot; only the Russians and the Japanese tacked the stock on a pipe underneath the barrel like that, and the PTRD firing pin hook is pretty distinctive.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime guns are deep.

So I got round to peeping the new Jojos. Looks like David production got a bit more of a budget, which is good. On the downside though, I preferred the colour palette they were working with in the first season, this one seems more "generic anime".

Still, you should all be watching jojos.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

aers posted:

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Mercrom about animation, but yeah, that's retarded.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Squidster posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
GO TO TFR

The samey-ness of the character designs in Sidonia is really bad. I *think* there are a bunch of identical clones of one girl, but I legitimately wasn't sure. Is the manga available stateside, or is it a scanlation only thing right now?

A lot of literal clones yes. 8 out of like 12 current volumes are out in the US, and theyre being released rather quickly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alas, I am slain by TFR.

And if Chaika follows the footsteps of Scrapped Princess, that show is gonna slay me over and over again between the halfway mark and the end of the show. :smith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Mercrom about animation, but yeah, that's retarded.

Seriously, there are times to reduce the framerate a bit, but not during zoomed in motions. Like the walk to the robot, you're zoomed in to the character's boots and it just looks choppy.

The clones have legitimate reasons to be there, it's not hard to say that this society has abandoned old conventions of bioconservatism and are going around freely modifying themselves for a number of economic and social reasons. Total modification isn't available for everyone, not everyone gets immortality, but variations on the baseline are probably fairly cheap. And there's also been time for these new conventions to settle in, which instead of giving it that cyberpunk "transitional" state, lets us set up a status quo and then smash it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Eej posted:

Alas, I am slain by TFR.
Well you're hardly the first.

• Locked thread