Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burgeralarm
Jun 3, 2012

Warboot posted:

Finally gonna nut up and post something on this thread. My most recent finished project Molik Karn

Bringing it back from the last page, but I like this a lot. The armor highlights really pop and I dig the color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
So, taking the advice that it was a much too dark primer coat, I tried again. It's a little tough getting the hang of it, but I think I did better on this guy, even though I got the back too dark. I'm going to try painting one tonight, just have to think of a good color scheme.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I don't have much experience painting minis aside from batch painting some Dark Eldar I got my friend years ago. My friends and I got Descent, the figurines serving double duty in D&D, and while the minis being unpainted disappointed my friends, I saw opportunity. I got some acrylic paints and some brushes and went to town. These are a couple I've "finished" so far. (Finished in that they're done enough, but I'll probably come back to them.) Anyway, here are some first attempts at "real" painting of minis.

This guy has some mistakes on him. The belly just looks messy. I don't know how I would get a smooth transition from white to blue like in sharks you see on NatGeo. Tried drybrushing the white, but it was always too heavy. Some of the flashing is still there. I underestimated how much you have to cut away on these. The eyes were a royal pain to reach, with obvious results. I tried dry brushing some gold over the blue to get that strange look scales have. I think I did an okay job there. I also used some glossy ModPodge to try and make him look slick/wet.

This elemental guy was fun. The cloud tail looks a bit poo poo. The dark grey I put on as a first coat that you see in the recesses just looks black. And I was not about to try and get at all that flashing in there. I tried to get a neat transition from the fire into the rock, to look sort of like lava. Almost a success? The red of the fire looks more orange in the picture than in real life, and the white in the fire is too white. I tried following the tutorial in the OP. I am proud of the water, however. I think I did alright there.

I like the way this ogre dude came out. Again, some of the flashing is visible, and some I didn't attempt to get out because these preassembled models seem like kind of a pain. The fur pelt the guy is wearing I tried to make it look moldy or mildewy. I tried inking on this guy. I just really watered down some black acrylic, mixed it up as best I could and brushed some on, and repeated a couple times. It shows well in the neck folds, but not much elsewhere.

And because it was a fairly nice day, I went outside and tried some reverse-lens photos while playing with my toys in the grass. This knight does NOT look that glittery in indoor light. He looks like a disco ball outside. (I kind of love it.) I don't want to post the other two that are in that shot because holy god those eyeballs are awful. I dipped into the wrong paint for BOTH of them. AND did an awful job. Bright, fluorescent green eyes. Fantastic.

Anyway, I might have to get an even tinier brush than the ones that came in this pack. I'll have to try basing these, too. How do you all attack the flashing that's in fur and hair and such? Do you just sink time into it, or is there a trick? I got a bit to learn, but I'm already hooked. Thanks for looking, and sorry for all the words.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

For a board game they look quite good. I've found a good wash or 2 helps really pull this stuff over the top. I just found out about nuln oil which I'm now in love with, but any old wash is a good thing to get used to if you're looking on improving.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Weirdo posted:

Good to hear actually. I got my start on some warham ogres and they were great for learning flesh on.

~In my restless dreams, I see that town~

Good stuff, I never did get around to Silent Memories (console roommate moved out) but I'll have to check it out. It's a good thing I have a lot of dark browns and yellows to use for the industrial waste type motif. Also gotta grime up the weapons something fierce.

It's available on the Wii and as a totally playable not lovely PS2 port. You can probably :filez: a phony baloney fake PC port if you're desperate. Very different but very good take on Bloodrustica.

Dr. Sneer Gory posted:

So, taking the advice that it was a much too dark primer coat, I tried again. It's a little tough getting the hang of it, but I think I did better on this guy, even though I got the back too dark. I'm going to try painting one tonight, just have to think of a good color scheme.

You're fine, brah. I'm too stupid to understand what you mean by "too dark," but the spottiness in your spraycoat is common. About nine times out of ten I follow up a spraycoat with brushing on black paint by hand!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Asphyxious posted:

What I'd love to do is get 3 knights, 3 more Valkyries then kitbash them together and paint them to match but fuuuuuuuuuck that's a lot of money.

I know essentially nothing about knights, is it true you can run a list that's JUST knights? If so, chances are I will eventually end up doing a transformer themed version of that list for my brother.

Yeah, you can run an army of just Knights! So go ahead and :rodimus: it up.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Loving those Descent dudes! I think I know what my next board game painting project will be after Zombicide.

Rotten Cookies posted:

This guy has some mistakes on him. The belly just looks messy. I don't know how I would get a smooth transition from white to blue like in sharks you see on NatGeo. Tried drybrushing the white, but it was always too heavy. Some of the flashing is still there. I underestimated how much you have to cut away on these. The eyes were a royal pain to reach, with obvious results. I tried dry brushing some gold over the blue to get that strange look scales have. I think I did an okay job there. I also used some glossy ModPodge to try and make him look slick/wet.

It looks pretty effective for an area that's not going to be too visible during games, but for the smooth transitions you need to do some blending. Get a pallet (something simple like a tile will do) and put a splodge of your base colour on it. Mix in a little of your highlight colour, apply to mini. Mix in a bit more, apply in a slightly smaller area. Repeat until your mix is 100% highlight colour. It also helps to thin down your paint a fair amount, this will give a little natural blending between stages when applied to the mini.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I made a thing!

And it takes pretty pictures! I'm not the best painter, but I feel like I'm getting better...

Took a few more pictures...

I'm considering rebasing the whole army - as I've never really put much stock into basing, and now I feel like the sand and static grass kind of looks awful. I want to do something that stands apart from my warm color scheme (so green or blue maybe) while still being secondary to the model. Any suggestions would be great. Otherwise, I may just redo them with sand and some more static grass like this:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I was planning to order some more 1,5mm magnets to magnetize the rest of my Heavy Weapons and was considering buying some extra magnets for when I get a Leman Russ/Demolisher later on and I'm wondering which size of magnets would be the best to use there?
Now I was thinking 4mm ones because that seems to fit in just fine with the depression in the assembled Punisher Gatling gun without having to drill that or should I go with something bigger for stability's sake?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Asphyxious posted:

What I'd love to do is get 3 knights, 3 more Valkyries then kitbash them together and paint them to match but fuuuuuuuuuck that's a lot of money.

I know essentially nothing about knights, is it true you can run a list that's JUST knights? If so, chances are I will eventually end up doing a transformer themed version of that list for my brother.

Yes. Five knights as a primary detachment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's a tip to bring out the colors a little more, which works particularly well with a lightbox. Open the image in Photoshop and go into the lighting levels:

If you nudge the slider on the right back to the beginning of the peak, it kills much of the 'dinge' caused by the value of all that white space. (I can't remember the right words for these things, my photographer sister is somewhere laughing at these dummy-words.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Serious Gaylord or: How I learned to stop worrying and love stencils.

I used the Anarchy models HD digi camo no 2 stencil to do this. They're both good and bad. Good points are that they're easy to get off the sheet, easy to stick down and very easy to reposition if you get it in the wrong place and are very low tack so they dont take up the paint when you pull them off. And they are reusable.

Bad points are that they really struggle to stick to non flat surfaces. They can go over a slight bend no trouble, but anything sharper than may be 20 degrees they'll struggle with. The low tack, while great for repositioning, does mean theres a hell of a lot of bleed under. Its going to take me a fairly long time to fix all of that. Also again, while they are re-usable, some of the stencils have such thin pieces on there that its very easy to tear and stretch them out of shape so massive care must be taken.

But anyway, I'm enjoying this model immensely and now its time to break the brush out and spend the next 3 hours painting straight lines.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

moths posted:

Here's a tip to bring out the colors a little more, which works particularly well with a lightbox. Open the image in Photoshop and go into the lighting levels:

If you nudge the slider on the right back to the beginning of the peak, it kills much of the 'dinge' caused by the value of all that white space. (I can't remember the right words for these things, my photographer sister is somewhere laughing at these dummy-words.)

Thanks! Great tip! I've just been dropping in and using the "Auto Tone" feature. I'll tinker with the levels and stuff and see if I can make the next batch look even better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I used the Anarchy models HD digi camo no 2 stencil to do this. They're both good and bad. Good points are that they're easy to get off the sheet, easy to stick down and very easy to reposition if you get it in the wrong place and are very low tack so they dont take up the paint when you pull them off. And they are reusable.

Bad points are that they really struggle to stick to non flat surfaces. They can go over a slight bend no trouble, but anything sharper than may be 20 degrees they'll struggle with. The low tack, while great for repositioning, does mean theres a hell of a lot of bleed under. Its going to take me a fairly long time to fix all of that. Also again, while they are re-usable, some of the stencils have such thin pieces on there that its very easy to tear and stretch them out of shape so massive care must be taken.

But anyway, I'm enjoying this model immensely and now its time to break the brush out and spend the next 3 hours painting straight lines.

Daaamn :aaa:
Now that's something I'd want to use for if I first had an airbrush and a lot of tanks to paint in a decent camouflage scheme.
Granted it does kinda remind me of Arma 3 but toss on some extra bags and poo poo to remove the clean lines and gribble it up I'm sure it'd be kinda amazing.

And now I want to paint another Valkyrie aside from all the tanks I want. Goddamn it. :sigh:
Although for the next one I probably should just buy some paint in a spray can. Which I probably should do for the tanks as well now that I think about it. Anyone know of a decent stand in for Castellan Green?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cooked Auto posted:

So I was planning to order some more 1,5mm magnets to magnetize the rest of my Heavy Weapons and was considering buying some extra magnets for when I get a Leman Russ/Demolisher later on and I'm wondering which size of magnets would be the best to use there?
Now I was thinking 4mm ones because that seems to fit in just fine with the depression in the assembled Punisher Gatling gun without having to drill that or should I go with something bigger for stability's sake?

You could just use two sets of 1.5mm magnets to make it so the top of the turret pops on and off the bottom. That way you can just put the weapon mounts in there loose and change them whenever you want. You might have to cut a couple magnet sized depressions in the bottom of the turret though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

You could just use two sets of 1.5mm magnets to make it so the top of the turret pops on and off the bottom. That way you can just put the weapon mounts in there loose and change them whenever you want. You might have to cut a couple magnet sized depressions in the bottom of the turret though.

Hm, I think that's a good plan for the normal Leman Russ turret since its guns all come as very separate pieces compared to the Demolisher turret.

My idea was actually to magnetize the pivot point (bottom left) that the Demolisher guns is mounted onto and then put a magnet on the back of each gun. With some minor drilling of course.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

And now I want to paint another Valkyrie aside from all the tanks I want. Goddamn it. :sigh:
Although for the next one I probably should just buy some paint in a spray can. Which I probably should do for the tanks as well now that I think about it. Anyone know of a decent stand in for Castellan Green?

You could try the Angel Green spray primer by Army Painter. It looks pretty close to Castellan Green and will probably save you a lot of time.

Looks good. I get a kick out of those tiny storm bolter straps. How and when are those guys (or just Termies in general) ever going to sling their weapons. :3:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 11, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Hm, I think that's a good plan for the normal Leman Russ turret since its guns all come as very separate pieces compared to the Demolisher turret.

My idea was actually to magnetize the pivot point (bottom left) that the Demolisher guns is mounted onto and then put a magnet on the back of each gun. With some minor drilling of course.

I don't think I actually had to even drill anything when I magnetized my Demolisher, the magnets were strong enough to hold through the plastic. I cut into the sponson guns a little for swappability but the turret gun swapped out easily on its own.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I don't think I actually had to even drill anything when I magnetized my Demolisher, the magnets were strong enough to hold through the plastic. I cut into the sponson guns a little for swappability but the turret gun swapped out easily on its own.

Oh yeah, the thing is hollow on the back. I kinda forgot that until you mentioned it. Although I think I have to drill a bit for the Plasma gun so it doesn't stick out but we'll see when I actually get a second Demolisher then.
Might just go with the 4mm magnets as well then.

AndyElusive posted:

You could try the Angel Green spray primer by Army Painter. It looks pretty close to Castellan Green and will probably save you a lot of time.

Yeah, I realize that painting the entire tank by hand might not be the best idea if I want alot of them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah that'd probably be a better idea for the demolisher, I've only ever magnetized the regular LRBT kit.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

w00tmonger posted:

For a board game they look quite good. I've found a good wash or 2 helps really pull this stuff over the top. I just found out about nuln oil which I'm now in love with, but any old wash is a good thing to get used to if you're looking on improving.

I just went back to the first page of the thread and did ctrl+F for "Wash" and the one of the first things was "Washes are the best things GW has done, c/d?" with resounding C. So yeah, I think I'm gonna try it. I'm pretty sure I tried doing this on the ogre, but the tutorial was calling it using an ink instead of a wash. After googling, these terms are almost interchangeable? Is diluting my paints an okay means of doing a wash, or are the ones the companies offer no-contest better?

Zark the Damned posted:

Loving those Descent dudes! I think I know what my next board game painting project will be after Zombicide.

It looks pretty effective for an area that's not going to be too visible during games, but for the smooth transitions you need to do some blending. Get a pallet (something simple like a tile will do) and put a splodge of your base colour on it. Mix in a little of your highlight colour, apply to mini. Mix in a bit more, apply in a slightly smaller area. Repeat until your mix is 100% highlight colour. It also helps to thin down your paint a fair amount, this will give a little natural blending between stages when applied to the mini.

Hey, thanks! I'll try and give this a go. I was pretty determined to make dry-brushing work, convinced it would look good eventually.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

I just went back to the first page of the thread and did ctrl+F for "Wash" and the one of the first things was "Washes are the best things GW has done, c/d?" with resounding C. So yeah, I think I'm gonna try it. I'm pretty sure I tried doing this on the ogre, but the tutorial was calling it using an ink instead of a wash. After googling, these terms are almost interchangeable? Is diluting my paints an okay means of doing a wash, or are the ones the companies offer no-contest better?

Hey, thanks! I'll try and give this a go. I was pretty determined to make dry-brushing work, convinced it would look good eventually.

Inks and washes are not interchangeable because the definition of "ink" varies from company to company. Covering a model with ink like you would with a wash could ruin your model unless you really know what you're doing. Depending on the paint sometimes you can turn pure acrylic paint into a wash-type consistency but it will lack the pigment concentration and flow of a wash. Save yourself the trouble (and sub-par wash) and just go buy (or make) yourself some wash. GW wash is really good. Army Painter Ink (which is actually their Quickshade wash) is also apparently good but I've never used it. Google APJ wash/magic wash if you want to learn how to make your own.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 12, 2014

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
No real content; just want to show off my last couple weekends' project: Crimson Slaughter:

Sadly running very low on paints, so I'll restart again once I restock. I need to find another P3 vendor in Vancouver.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, can someone remind me the best way to take apart plastic minis that have been put together with plastic cement?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Apollodorus posted:

Hey, can someone remind me the best way to take apart plastic minis that have been put together with plastic cement?

A knife. Super glue can be broken apart, plastic glue cannot.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

You have two options. If the glue was applied very sparingly you can SOMETIMES just snap the bond apart, I've gotten some eBay minis that I was able to force apart because they either used very little glue or the two surfaces weren't 100% in flush contact. Otherwise get out a nice new sharp x-acto blade and carefully cut the pieces apart.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That's what I figured. I realized I made some extra Space Marines with bolters...but I guess they are here to stay, there would be too much trouble involved in removing their arms.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

That's what I figured. I realized I made some extra Space Marines with bolters...but I guess they are here to stay, there would be too much trouble involved in removing their arms.

You can try twisting the arm off at the shoulder, that's actually a pretty weak joint. I'd just leave them as they are though, it's probably not worth potentially shearing the arm in half especially if there is glue on the front palm part.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 12, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Digicam Valk/Vende is awesome.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Took a few more pictures...

These went from being poop marines to being awesome Marines.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Post 9-11 User posted:

These went from being poop marines to being awesome Marines.

Thanks! I think?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Pretty sure you posted the blurry blobby poop brown Marines and I said I couldn't tell if they were good or not because of how bad the photos were.

Here's lookin' at you, pal. Good Marines.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I have some questions for all the painting goons in this thread. As a kid (maybe 20 years ago) I painted a few Ultramarine squads but never had much technique beyond 'paint them blue and roughly outline with yellow'. Now I want to get back into painting minis but have no real idea where to start.

I bought some cheap plastic 'gangers' and 'troopers' off eBay (picture below) and also managed to win a dirt cheap eBay auction for a couple of dozen old Eldar minis that haven't arrived yet.

So I've got some minis but what paints should I use? I'm in Australia if that matters but don't mind buying stuff online. Is there a paint starter box I can get from somewhere that will have enough colours for me to be able to paint my not-Necromunda minis in a decent style?

And are there some good tutorials (videos or written) on how to paint? Like, I need to know everything from scratch because I don't have a ton of artistic ability but I'm very enthusiastic and enjoy this sort of craft / hobby stuff that requires attention to detail and finesse.

Minis:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

http://paintingclinic.com/ is a good start.

HardHead
Nov 4, 2009

Bouncer, Hey bouncer.

cyberia posted:

I have some questions for all the painting goons in this thread. As a kid (maybe 20 years ago) I painted a few Ultramarine squads but never had much technique beyond 'paint them blue and roughly outline with yellow'. Now I want to get back into painting minis but have no real idea where to start.

I bought some cheap plastic 'gangers' and 'troopers' off eBay (picture below) and also managed to win a dirt cheap eBay auction for a couple of dozen old Eldar minis that haven't arrived yet.

So I've got some minis but what paints should I use? I'm in Australia if that matters but don't mind buying stuff online. Is there a paint starter box I can get from somewhere that will have enough colours for me to be able to paint my not-Necromunda minis in a decent style?

And are there some good tutorials (videos or written) on how to paint? Like, I need to know everything from scratch because I don't have a ton of artistic ability but I'm very enthusiastic and enjoy this sort of craft / hobby stuff that requires attention to detail and finesse.

Minis:

Army painter has some pretty decent starter kits.Here's where you can get them in australia.
That page also has a pdf with some useful advice for beginners.

These guys seem to have the entire range in stock.
http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/Army_Painter_Starter_Sets_s/1415.htm
http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/Quick_Shade_Dips_s/309.htm
http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/Army_Painter_Sprays_s/310.htm

HardHead fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 12, 2014

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Hi. I've been taking a breather from sculpting. Now I'm starting up again, slowly. I'm doing work on the dire bat and some head sculpts for practice.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

burgeralarm posted:

Bringing it back from the last page, but I like this a lot. The armor highlights really pop and I dig the color scheme.

Thanks, I really feel he is my best paint job to date. I'll post some more of my stuff once I get my table set back up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That head makes me want to see a tiny Han Solo, in classic pose.

e: v awesome.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 13, 2014

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

ijyt posted:

That head makes me want to see a tiny Han Solo, in classic pose.

Knight models have you covered.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/267013?browseid=8834910

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

I've actually had OK luck with non-acetone nail polish remover on glue that was a day old :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Thanks for those links.

If I was to get something like this set, would it be appropriate for painting plastic, metal and finecast minis? And what's the best primer / undercoat to use for the three different materials?

• Locked thread