Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you vent rooms at the right time they won't be in oxygen long enough to actually take it out before attacking the doors because they're about to lose air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

IronicDongz posted:

But that's exactly what makes it so interesting! I absolutely hate grinding with no limit, it just leads to unfun gameplay. The 'timer' of the rebel fleet forces you to make meaningful decisions about where to go and when on each starmap, and adds a fuckton of tension to the overarching strategy of constructing your build to clear the final boss with. If there was no final challenging boss it'd be piss-easy.

Meaningful decisions? :psyduck:. You plan out a route that allows you to hit as many nodes as possible, it takes a few seconds per sector. You adjust it slightly to account for stores. The rebels catching up to you is pure murder in AE and I can't see it ever being worth it. I'd almost prefer it auto-drawing encounters from a deck of cards.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So one of the bundles this week is for a bunch of Roguelikes.

http://groupees.com/shinyloot3?source=indiegamesbundle

I don't really have experience with any of them, though, does anyone here?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Justin_Brett posted:

So one of the bundles this week is for a bunch of Roguelikes.

http://groupees.com/shinyloot3?source=indiegamesbundle

I don't really have experience with any of them, though, does anyone here?

ToME is the only one there I recognize and it's actually a free game, that is just for the steam version which iirc is identical to the free copy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

uPen posted:

ToME is the only one there I recognize and it's actually a free game, that is just for the steam version which iirc is identical to the free copy.

The steam version is identical to the premium version, which includes a few extras like being able to use a customized sprite for your character. Plus achievements (there are literally 1200 of them).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The standalone version has the same achievements.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

voltron lion force posted:

The steam version is identical to the premium version, which includes a few extras like being able to use a customized sprite for your character. Plus achievements (there are literally 1200 of them).

There's actually more like 144 achievements, but there's 9 versions of each achievement for the 9 different difficulty modes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Premium version also has an exclusive class.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Flatspace is awesome. Everyone should get it and try it out.

If you don't own ToME at this point, I don't know what to tell you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I noticed Flatspace has a sequel and I see people talk it up from time to time, but I haven't seen much else apart from "it's great!". Anyone care to write more about it?

Also, Tower of Eglathia looks so, so bad :psyduck: It's like babby's first roguelike in the form of a windows application with terrible writing (You are a man. You get a slight bonus to strength. Strength +1 :ughh:).

Jackster
Nov 10, 2012
Flatspace II is the same game as Flatspace, it just has an additional playable race + some new features. So don't buy the original Flatspace.

It's been several years since I played Flatspace, but here are some things that I remember.

Great things about Flatspace:
- It's set in space! Sci-fi is always cool!
- The combat system is great. It's real time, you fly around in a spaceship, dodging enemy lasers etc. Easily the best part of the game.
- There are many different ways you can play. If you want to, you can mine asteroids for minerals, be a trader or alternatively you can become a bounty hunter/cop/pirate/assassin, which are much more fun to play.
- If you get rich enough, you can buy anything, including the space stations.
- The soundtrack and graphics are pretty good. Then again, I played Flatspace back in 2006-2007 so I'm not really sure if they have aged that well.

Bad things about Flatspace:
- Unless you set the difficulty way down, the beginning is extremely brutal. If you fight against someone with homing missiles, you will get one shot killed unless you are on the easiest difficulty setting.
- It doesn't really have any clear goals and it can be really grindy. If you want to buy a medium sized ship, they usually cost 200-500,000 spacebucks, but doing a single quest usually gives you only 2000-3000 spacebucks. The fastest way to get money is through bounty hunting, but most of the guys with bounties have homing missiles, so..

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I've only spent a couple hours on Sword of Stars, but it wasn't all that enjoyable imo. It has a lot of really tedious features that promote grinding. Ammo for all of the weapons is in extremely short supply, which I found to be more frustrating than a fun resource management type deal. If you want to not starve, you'll pretty much have to look up recipes to make different foods online. There does seem to be a fairly large fan base, though. I may have just needed to put a few more hours into it and get the hang of it, but nothing really stood out enough to make me want to keep trying.

Purchasing ToME has a few non-cosmetic benefits: it opens the Stone Warden class for dwarves, which is a pretty interesting magic/nature tank that dual wields shields and you can use a vault to transfer items between characters.

I don't really know anything about the other games, but Crayon Chronicles looks like it could be a fun in a light hearted sort of way and Hero Siege looks like it'd be fun to local coop with a friend. I may do it even though I already have SotS and ToME.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dairy Power posted:

Purchasing ToME has a few non-cosmetic benefits: it opens the Stone Warden class for dwarves, which is a pretty interesting magic/nature tank that dual wields shields and you can use a vault to transfer items between characters.

Yeah, the free version always gets the "bonus" class whenever a new class comes out, then the new class becomes exclusive to the paid version. It's a nice idea.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Stone Warden has been the only 'new' class out for forever. Dunno when the next one is going to come out, but maybe their time is mostly taken up by developing the orc campaign.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Played an hour of Crayon Chronicles-- super simple, UI could be more convenient (only move with the mouse), and some in game things could do to actually be explained (where do I get my drat quest rewards? D: How much is my dodge actually increasing by?). My character was quickly out of depth in the second zone, though I had no clue what I was doing since it was my first playthrough obv. That said, it's fun enough and I really enjoy the art direction and humor. I'll play it a little more before passing any sort of judgment on it, but it's probably worth spending a buck or three on the bundle for.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Stone Warden has been the only 'new' class out for forever. Dunno when the next one is going to come out, but maybe their time is mostly taken up by developing the orc campaign.

I think there's a demonologist class slated to come out maybe next patch? I can't remember exactly, it's been a couple months I was engaged with the community.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Dairy Power posted:

I've only spent a couple hours on Sword of Stars, but it wasn't all that enjoyable imo. It has a lot of really tedious features that promote grinding. Ammo for all of the weapons is in extremely short supply, which I found to be more frustrating than a fun resource management type deal. If you want to not starve, you'll pretty much have to look up recipes to make different foods online. There does seem to be a fairly large fan base, though. I may have just needed to put a few more hours into it and get the hang of it, but nothing really stood out enough to make me want to keep trying.
Well, a lot of your post is right. And I say that as somebody who likes the game and played it for way too many hours. The thing about the Pit is that you're at the mercy of the RNG, and there's nothing that you can do about it. It ultimately doesn't matter how well you play, because if you don't get certain drops before a certain depth, you will not win. Period. Of course, playing well and knowing what to do shifts the odds in your favor a bit, but probability does not care about your efforts. If you don't get an armor for the tough floors, you're hosed. If you don't get a weapon for the tough enemies, you're hosed. If you don't find ammo for your good weapon, you're hosed. If you don't find enough food containers, you're hosed. And the list goes on...

Now, as said I like the game, but I also think that it was deliberately designed to be grindy and unfair, so that people play it longer. It was much less of a problem in the old version where you only had three classes and a much smaller drop-table. But while the expansion added some pretty cool stuff, the drop-tables have become huge and I'm convinced that nobody wanted to actually balance them. Especially in regards to some of the new enemies, and the decision to make the Pit ten floors deeper with a gently caress-you boss at the end. Like, it doesn't matter that I know how to conserve my resources, how to level my class, what risks I should take, and especially at what depth I stop clearing full floors - because the drop tables are my one and only god. I had way too many runs where all the armors I got(2-3 drops is the average) couldn't be worn by my race. Or where I just didn't get a weapon that can actually damage the final boss and his guards. And it was also a super good decision to crank up the equipment damage overall. It's nice that you found that combat armor, but whoops, two floors later it's broken and you ain't getting another drop. Deal with it.

Of course, that's kind of a hyperbole, but very true at its core. The Pit is pretty much a game for people who have high amounts of patience, or masochists. And that's a shame, because it could be really good and the market doesn't exactly offer many RL games with guns and aliens. That's also why I've been playing it since the first release, because there's no alternative to it. I don't want to make the game sound worse than it is, but I just formed this opinion by playing it a lot so there we are. To be honest, nowadays I play it for a month or two, and then stop until I my hatred for the RNG has died down. Otherwise I would have deleted it a long time ago.

Okay, some tips for those that want to give it a try.

-Play on easy. Don't think you're cool because you know RL games. Play on easy until you have a couple of wins!

-Look up recepies on the Wiki. Otherwise you have to grind them out over a ton of games, which is awful. They get added to your PDA if you made them once. This is especially important to make better food items from the bits you find.

-Upgrade your Forage skill everytime until you hit 80, or 60 if you play a class with few points per level. It influences quality and quantity of what loot sources can drop.

-Melee trash enemies. Your pistol is cool and all, but don't waste bullets on a rat. The only exception to that rule is one shot per early character level so raising the weapon skill is cheaper.

-Don't wear armor in the early floors, except when there are shooty enemies around. Otherwise it'll fall to bits ASAP and you probably will need it past floor ten due to the awesome drop tables.

-Try to get as many drops before floor 15-20, and after that you should not clear complete floors. You just won't have enough resources for that. Figure out what rooms can yield which drops, and only go for things that you need.

-Don't be afraid to run away from large enemies. A lot of them are just bullet sponges that drain your inventory.

-Kill/avoid grey blobs and moles ASAP. Acid will damage things on your person and in your inventory.

-Get Psy defense. You'll need it.

-And lastly, stop playing when you get frustrated.

Phew, that sure were some words :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 13, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm assuming the "Sword of Stars" was a typo?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Nah, it's called "Sword of the Stars: The Pit" and is set in the universe of the SotS games. So it's just kind of a typo :)

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Ok just played an hour or so of Hero Siege. I'm not entirely sure why this is in a roguelike bundle.It's kind of like if you changed Risk of Rain into a twin stick shooter and set it on arena maps with waves of enemies coming at you. But then made the characters have persistent stats that carried over to subsequent attempts. And as you unlock higher level areas, you can choose to start from those areas, rather than from the beginning. I guess the maps and drops are procedurally/randomly generated, so there's that.

Anyway, the gameplay is very smooth. Baiting enemies into the traps on the maps is quite fun. I have no clue what is going on with the balance in the game-- the reviews I saw before buying the pack said the viking is terrible and the game is ridiculously hard and they'd played 15 times without making it through the first set of waves. I made it to second of four stages on my first run, starting from level 1 as as a viking. Everything was super easy until I was dead, though. So many damage numbers all of the sudden o_O. The artifacts you pick up as you play are fun and have a dramatic effect on your abilities. These ranged from a massive bonus to strength (+50, which is 50 levels worth of stats) to a passively activated cactus that grows out of the ground under enemies damaging them pretty heftily to an active use healing staff on a timer. It sounds like the local coop is still in the works, but its functional-- my roommates just left before I started playing, so I didn't get a chance to test that yet. Combat is very simple and all of the leveling is stats and passive benefits that gives you procs on your regular attacks, as far as I can tell. Overall, very simple but plays well and seems like it would be a blast with other people. I had fun playing it solo, too, though I don't know how often I'll do that.

Tin Tim posted:

Phew, that sure were some words :v:

Thanks for writing up those tips-- I'd definitely like to give it another go at some point. Mainly because I like guns and aliens, and as you said-- there isn't much of that in the roguelike market.

On that note, I found Bionic Dues to be quite a bit of fun. Guns and mechs is close enough to guns and aliens for me :D I also really liked how lethal the balance is-- most of your mechs are gone in a hit or two, but so are the enemies. And having four mechs to switch between is also a nice tactical touch.

EDIT:

Played more Hero Siege with my roommate. Fun as hell coop, but buggy as hell. Crashed a couple of times early on, and then once again on wave 78. Don't try to level while the other person is KO'd. But yeah, I'd definitely say this alone is worth 3 bucks if you have someone to local coop with and like twin stick shooters. Definitely not a roguelike in any sense though, imo.

Played a little more Crayon Chronicles and died at the start of the second zone again. I think you have to be extremely livable in consumable use? Gonna try a little more before going to bed. Kinda nice to have the excuse of recovering from stomach flu to let me play games all day. Kinda not nice to have had the stomach flu in the first place, though.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 13, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
While I just can't imagine that anyone here isn't feverishly subscribed to the Dungeonmans thread, I feel like I should mention it here anyway: Dungeonmans is in a new early access stage-- still Alpha, but access was opened to Beta backers because I didn't want to keep them waiting any longer.

Details and a whole mess of screens in the thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729&pagenumber=17#post428292733

But I'll post a screen or two here just because.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I played quite a bit of Hero Siege. The game is cool but it has one serious problem — bunch of bullshit things that instakill you because they have ridiculous damage, it's almost exclusive to traps. I can deal with any enemy or boss but if I step on the wrong trap I'm almost instantly dead (usually half a second to second). It really brings the game down, I'd rather it stepped up the general difficulty than having this kind of artificial "but roguelike!" kind of poo poo.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I played quite a bit of Hero Siege. The game is cool but it has one serious problem — bunch of bullshit things that instakill you because they have ridiculous damage, it's almost exclusive to traps. I can deal with any enemy or boss but if I step on the wrong trap I'm almost instantly dead (usually half a second to second). It really brings the game down, I'd rather it stepped up the general difficulty than having this kind of artificial "but roguelike!" kind of poo poo.

Huh, I wasn't having any issues with traps instakilling me. I mean, I could lose half my health fairly quickly to a trap, but they weren't instantly lethal other than maybe the very beginning of a game before I started collecting a ton of health upgrades.

I think they should be really high risk, though. Herding entire waves of enemies into traps is fun and ridiculously effective. I don't think it'd be quite so fun if you were at no/minimal risk yourself.

Maybe they've patched trap damage since you played? I've seen the same complaint elsewhere, but it just didn't seem true at all when I played the other day.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah, they might've patched it, I've yet to give it another go.

I don't usually use traps because I don't have problems killing the enemies on my own, but while running around the levels sooner or later I stumble into one of those volcano things that make me explode, not to mention the Diablo 3-esque rotating lasers (spawned by Arcane Enchanted champions in D3) which kill you super fast when they spawn on top of you. I've had a bunch of other insta-deaths when I didn't even know what killed me.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 15, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have an extra copy of Tales of Maj'Eyal on Steam, and the two people I know who have it on their wishlists haven't been online in a few days, so I think this is a nice place to share it. I'll edit this out when someone contacts me on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cirruspaxton

Edit: VVV It's all yours VVV :)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 16, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chinook posted:

I have an extra copy of Tales of Maj'Eyal on Steam, and the two people I know who have it on their wishlists haven't been online in a few days, so I think this is a nice place to share it. I'll edit this out when someone contacts me on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cirruspaxton

I would if you'd accept the invite.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
I just picked up DoomRL again for the first time in a long while, and finally encountered the Dragonslayer for the first time. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to pick it up, and all I can find on the internet is two year old posts on the official forum where dorks are circle-jerking each other over "OMG secrets tee hee." Anyone here willing to spill the beans?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

You are a nerd posted:

I just picked up DoomRL again for the first time in a long while, and finally encountered the Dragonslayer for the first time. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to pick it up, and all I can find on the internet is two year old posts on the official forum where dorks are circle-jerking each other over "OMG secrets tee hee." Anyone here willing to spill the beans?

The old requirement was "be berserking in order to pick it up" but I think the developer changed it to some far more convoluted achievement-related thing because he's in on the circlejerk.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Dragonslayer is one of the more ~well-kept~ secrets left in roguelikes anymore but that doesn't stop it from being dumb as hell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you have to understand the source code well enough to read how to pick it up

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The old requirement was "be berserking in order to pick it up" but I think the developer changed it to some far more convoluted achievement-related thing because he's in on the circlejerk.

Been a while since I've played DoomRL, but I had the impression that the convoluted thing was a way to make it guaranteed to appear (on Nightmare! in the Cathedral) and that picking it up was something more universally doable than berserking. Try dropping your equipment/inventory/etc?

TokyoHeadphones
Mar 18, 2014
I think Kornel (the developer) specifically stated he didn't want the secret out in the open, so it'd be kinda nice if players respected his wishes (no matter how dumb you might think it is. I mean IT IS his game and all). He didn't mind people giving out hints though, and I eventually did scrounge up the answer after combing through said 2 year old thread and experimenting a bit. To make it easier, here's a summary of the hints given (from memory. It's been a while since I played.)

1. There's 2 requirements: Be in a certain state, and fulfill a certain condition.
2. Anyone playing any class is capable of picking it up their very first game.
3. The Dragonslayer can be made to appear in Unholy Cathedral on N! with 100% certainty. Same with its counterpart Berserker Armor in the Mortuary. These changes were made for the exact same reasons why 100% certainty Nuclear weapons and the Lava Element were introduced to the game.
4. If you try to pick it up and fail, it gives you a ridiculously obscure hint on what you need to do.

Sorry for my dorky secret circle-jerking. Honestly for all the hype it gets, once you know what's up, it's kinda meh. I think he did say he was going to change the requirements whenever he finds time to push out an update.

Edit: Changed up hint 3 to get rid of a bigger spoiler with added bonus of sounding even more dorky secret circle-jerky.

TokyoHeadphones fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 17, 2014

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Decided to finally try to get a win in Dungeons of Dredmor on Going Rogue/Permadeath. It's not a hard game, but it's so friggin slow even with the speed turned up and the interface causes me to make all sorts of stupid errors.

Also, apparently Killer Vegan doesn't make the animals friendly when you go through a mysterious portal. So, I had to fight Muscle Diggles while taking massive vegan debuffs. The build was super solid, so even though I was only on floor 5, I would have been able to handle it if it weren't for the debuffs. Ugh.

I've beaten it on Dwarvish Moderation/Permadeath, but I don't feel like I can actually add it to my list of beaten roguelikes until I finish Going Rogue. Part of me also just wants to go back to learning Brogue (generally hit the mid teens, but i've probably only put 10 hours in the game total) since I think it's a superior game in most respects, but I'd also like to feel like I've completed Dredmor. Life is rough.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

TokyoHeadphones posted:

I think Kornel (the developer) specifically stated he didn't want the secret out in the open, so it'd be kinda nice if players respected his wishes (no matter how dumb you might think it is. I mean IT IS his game and all). He didn't mind people giving out hints though, and I eventually did scrounge up the answer after combing through said 2 year old thread and experimenting a bit. To make it easier, here's a summary of the hints given (from memory. It's been a while since I played.)

1. There's 2 requirements: Be in a certain state, and fulfill a certain condition.
2. Anyone playing any class is capable of picking it up their very first game.
3. The Dragonslayer can be made to appear in Unholy Cathedral on N! with 100% certainty. Same with its counterpart Berserker Armor in the Mortuary. These changes were made for the exact same reasons why 100% certainty Nuclear weapons and the Lava Element were introduced to the game.
4. If you try to pick it up and fail, it gives you a ridiculously obscure hint on what you need to do.

Sorry for my dorky secret circle-jerking. Honestly for all the hype it gets, once you know what's up, it's kinda meh. I think he did say he was going to change the requirements whenever he finds time to push out an update.

Edit: Changed up hint 3 to get rid of a bigger spoiler with added bonus of sounding even more dorky secret circle-jerky.

The whole circus around this "spoiler" is completely loving retarded and irritates me to no end. What started as a joke by the developer has become a toxic poison coursing through the veins of that community.

gently caress it. IIRC, you have to be berserk with nothing in either hand to pick it up the sword, and then you cannot equip anything else into either of them again. To wear the armor, you need to have the sword equipped and be at critical hp (maybe under 10 or under 20%, something like that). The armor increases in value as your hp gets lower (it goes up to like 20 or 25 protection), and increases the dragonslayer damage from 8d8 to 9d9. To make the sword appear in a normal runthrough, you need to kill the angel of death in the church on N!, and I think you also have to use only melee weapons up to that point. There might also be a damageless condition, I don't remember. It's a similar thing for the armor.

TokyoHeadphones
Mar 18, 2014
Well alright, I suppose nothing's sacred on the internet anymore. I did consider just blurting out the answer since it's pretty old by now and it's likely to get changed up next version. Still, you should at least spoiler tag it, and give people the option of choosing whether they want to figure it out for themselves or not. As simple as the answer is, it's a lot more satisfying to figure it out yourself than just having someone tell you.

That said, my understanding of the requirements differs from yours. I'm not 100% certain, since it's been a while for me, but what I recalled was:

To make Dragonslayer/Berserker Armor appear on respective stages,
1. Play on N!
2. Have 90%'ish kill rate (but I don't think it had to be only melee)
3. Have almost damage-less run

To equip Dragonslayer,
1. Be berserked
2. Be naked

To equip Berserker Armor,
1. Just have Dragonslayer equipped

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I assume part of why FTL gets hate from a lot of roguelike players is because it's partially twitch-related. Once you learn how to time weapon combos using the pause feature, lots of non-sensical combinations open up, and it's why the Stealth ships are really not the challenge ships (looking at you, Engi-B, you worthless turd). You can beat the flagship with ion weapons and beams, missiles alone, a droneship, both cloaking ships EASY, without cloaking easily depending on your weapon/boarding capabilities, etc. I mean, reading the last few pages, you'd think you NEED cloaking, 4 shields, 2 defense drones, and burst laser 2's firing alongside Pegasus missile launchers. You absolutely don't.

The one thing I will 100% admit to is the tedium of the game at points because the most reliable way to expand your capabilities regardless of the RNG is killing crews with minimal damage to their ship, which usually means knocking out their O2 plus weapons and/or engine then waiting for their crew to asphyxiate (unless you have a boarding crew you can use in which case it's time for :black101: in space).

It's for that reason that the Engi-A ship is possibly the greatest in the game. You can asphyxiate people all day erry day and the Ion Burst II it starts with fires fast enough that if you can cycle it properly, it'll keep two systems disabled at a time, especially if you knock out their helm control or board to keep the enemies off the helm so that they can't dodge anymore. Once I got to see how Engi-A deals with things (it has the non-lethal Burst Ion II and the seemingly-unreliable Attack Drone I) it helped me a lot to think about how I could apply various unorthodox tactics to other ships.

drat you all for making me want to go play some FTL. Don't you know I have Netrunner decks to obsess over?!

E: Also if you don't say :whatup: to the Rebel fleet on the way to the boss before sector 8, you aren't really cutting it super-close space-bandit style. You also get more loot (from the extra sectors, not from the fleet itself, they give you nothing except 1 fuel if you kill them but you really just need to jump away) which is why I agree that the timer style is pretty fun. Time to install that expansion...

E2: mother of god the unlock system finally makes more sense, this is amazing; now you just have to beat the game with the previous models; and TYPE C SHIPS!

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 17, 2014

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

TokyoHeadphones posted:

Well alright, I suppose nothing's sacred on the internet anymore.

The secrecy around the dragonslayer/berserk armour is just really silly and doesn't add anything to the game. It feels like an old MUD where the advanced classes/super strong items are hidden behind quests with goofy syntax hunts where everyone winds up telling everyone else the answers at some point anyway. I figured having nothing in your hands was probably part of the secret given the circumstances in the comic, but I don't remember anything from Berserk about him picking up that sword for the first time in the buff.

If he keeps changing it to be secret, well, that's his business I guess? Plenty more anime to equip in this game. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

I assume part of why FTL gets hate from a lot of roguelike players is because it's partially twitch-related.

It's not so much that, for me, as it is that there are absolutely encounters where your only practical option is to minimize how much you lose. This includes stuff like "a rebel defector beamed aboard your ship!" where no matter what you pick there's even odds that you'll get hosed over, and also fights where the enemy has some perfect combination of abilities such that all you can do is hope your helm and engines don't get destroyed/ionized before you can jump away, and even when you do manage to escape you've taken 10-15 hull damage in the process.

I mean, some damage is to be expected, and there are absolutely games where I lose and it's entirely my fault. But there are several encounters in FTL where it feels like I have no particular agency, and personally I find that infuriating. The usual excuse that gets trotted out when I say this is that there's something I could have done earlier to be better-prepared for that encounter, but there's enough such encounters that all have different "preparations" that it is impossible to be "prepared" for all or even most of them.

That said, I do like the game. I just wish there was something between Easy and Normal, because Easy is too easy and Normal is way too loving hard.

EDIT:

SuicideSnowman posted:

But running into an automated ship or a Zoltan ship as the Mantis B on the first or second jump really is obnoxious.

I had a run the other day as Stealth A where the first three ships I ran into had drone-based offense, no joke. Very carefully-timed cloaking can get you to almost get your weapons charged before the drones can fire anything, but if they hit your weapons, then you're hosed, hooray!

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 17, 2014

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's not so much that, for me, as it is that there are absolutely encounters where your only practical option is to minimize how much you lose. This includes stuff like "a rebel defector beamed aboard your ship!" where no matter what you pick there's even odds that you'll get hosed over, and also fights where the enemy has some perfect combination of abilities such that all you can do is hope your helm and engines don't get destroyed/ionized before you can jump away, and even when you do manage to escape you've taken 10-15 hull damage in the process.

I mean, some damage is to be expected, and there are absolutely games where I lose and it's entirely my fault. But there are several encounters in FTL where it feels like I have no particular agency, and personally I find that infuriating. The usual excuse that gets trotted out when I say this is that there's something I could have done earlier to be better-prepared for that encounter, but there's enough such encounters that all have different "preparations" that it is impossible to be "prepared" for all or even most of them.

That said, I do like the game. I just wish there was something between Easy and Normal, because Easy is too easy and Normal is way too loving hard.

It's really the first couple sectors where you can get screwed over I've found. Generally if you make it past those, there's a lot less bullshit to deal with because you should have taken care of many of your weaknesses by then. But running into an automated ship or a Zoltan ship as the Mantis B on the first or second jump really is obnoxious.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Most of people's problems are just spending way too much scrap on stuff like shields and reactor, mostly just to feel 'totally safe' or reduce micromanagement. Learning to use that extra scrap for things that actually have better bang-for-the-buck payoff like medbay, doors and piloting, even at the cost of taking slightly more damage or more micromanagement, have a huge impact on the outcomes, and are the primary 'skill', I think.

If you're not taking damage, or not micromanaging your reactor and living on no-oxygen for most fights, you're probably overspending on defense/reactor, and under-spending on event-boosting or utility stuff.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Unormal posted:

If you're not taking damage, or not micromanaging your reactor and living on no-oxygen for most fights, you're probably overspending on defense/reactor, and under-spending on event-boosting or utility stuff.

This just makes me think that FTL's design is flawed. Why would the optimal strategy be to neglect your defenses, get shot up, and leave your life support off in a starship survival game? It's completely counter-intuitive.