Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Nate RFB posted:

On the other hand I do rather like the romance in (new chapter) Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. despite one of the participants being kind of the typical rear end in a top hat male love interest shoujo archetype.

Probably because Touka is a total dork any way you slice it and thus a match made in Goon Heaven for Uka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Princess Jellyfish is getting a movie! If there is a loving god this means we'll get a sequel series in order to promote the movie.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New Horimiya.

Kinda wish the translation group didn't put a giant watermark on like every other page though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two new chapters of Kakukaku Shikajika! That's pretty hilarious about her college boyfriend.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Two new chapters of Kakukaku Shikajika! That's pretty hilarious about her college boyfriend.

Oh hell yes!

I got curious about what she looked like and found that she apparently does, in fact, wear her hair pretty much how she draws herself.

e:
lmbo "Plastic Hayashi"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 12, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Devil Tesla posted:

I gotta say, every time it broke back into the present day for her to bemoan past decisions was entertaining.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I read through Ao Haru Ride on a whim.

Ao Haru Ride is a bland, generic-rear end series that has set up something that might subvert the typical shojo nonsense but we all know how it'll end up because it's been alluding to it for the last like eight chapters. Don't read it. It initially starts out with promise but quickly dips into some of the worst aspects of shojo romance with will-they-won't-they shenanigans, actual near-progress interrupted by, among other things, classmates, phone calls, and stomach growling, and weird borderline-abusive stuff from the male "protagonist". My favorite line? The out-of-the-blue "I could rape you right now" as they lay on the grass together. It was to point out she should be more careful with her trust, but man, not exactly a tactful way to say it bro

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

I read through Ao Haru Ride on a whim.

Ao Haru Ride is a bland, generic-rear end series that has set up something that might subvert the typical shojo nonsense but we all know how it'll end up because it's been alluding to it for the last like eight chapters. Don't read it. It initially starts out with promise but quickly dips into some of the worst aspects of shojo romance with will-they-won't-they shenanigans, actual near-progress interrupted by, among other things, classmates, phone calls, and stomach growling, and weird borderline-abusive stuff from the male "protagonist". My favorite line? The out-of-the-blue "I could rape you right now" as they lay on the grass together. It was to point out she should be more careful with her trust, but man, not exactly a tactful way to say it bro

Too late I was already reading it. Though thinking about it, I do pretty much agree with you. Probably haven't noticed due to it updating so sporadically, but yeah, started with a decent premise and has gone downhill since. Not even sure how I started reading it other than when I binged through a bunch of shoujo series a while ago. Probably its ratings were higher back then hence how it fell into my list.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's pretty good actually. I'm looking forward to the anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coathat posted:

It's pretty good actually. I'm looking forward to the anime.
Care to explain what makes it a good series and not generic garbage?

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
drat son u ever just think about how i could pretty much just rape you right now and get away with it because of japan's culture of victim blaming drat poo poo yeehaw its yo fault for trusting me lol

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All you need to understand is that coathat has terrible taste in manga.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

It initially starts out with promise but quickly dips into some of the worst aspects of shojo romance with will-they-won't-they shenanigans, actual near-progress interrupted by, among other things, classmates, phone calls, and stomach growling, and weird borderline-abusive stuff from the male "protagonist".

I wouldn't even say it started out well, with all the weird, borderline grossness of "I'm just naturally so sweet and feminine and so every single girl in my Jr. High class loathed me, so instead I'll start high school as an uncouth slob, that way I won't be hated (because all women are jealous bitches that only care about how attractive they are to men and seethe when they see someone else so naturally talented at it.) Like all shoujo heroines, I pick the worst people to make friends with and require the services of the male protagonist to tell me that the people I hang out with are assholes! Luckily, now that I've scored the guy I want, I can pretty much forget about my initial goal of 'chicks before dicks'! Onward to the slow-motion mating dance!"

coathat
May 21, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Care to explain what makes it a good series and not generic garbage?

I like the art and while it's not breaking any new ground I like the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

musouka posted:

I wouldn't even say it started out well, with all the weird, borderline grossness of "I'm just naturally so sweet and feminine and so every single girl in my Jr. High class loathed me, so instead I'll start high school as an uncouth slob, that way I won't be hated (because all women are jealous bitches that only care about how attractive they are to men and seethe when they see someone else so naturally talented at it.) Like all shoujo heroines, I pick the worst people to make friends with and require the services of the male protagonist to tell me that the people I hang out with are assholes! Luckily, now that I've scored the guy I want, I can pretty much forget about my initial goal of 'chicks before dicks'! Onward to the slow-motion mating dance!"

Well, when I say promise, I mean more having a male protagonist who has genuine trauma issues, but no, it turns into exactly what you said. Also teacher/student almost-relationship because why not throw another shrimp on the barbie

I wonder if this Horimaya series is worth a god drat. I've read most of the good romance series, it seems, or the ones still running are monthly/only have a few chapters(looking at you, Ore Monogatari).

edit: I also liked that Kou's mom died of lung cancer metastasizing to the bone and not Mysterious Wasting Anime Illness.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 12, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Horimiya is good which is surprising since it runs in Gfantasy, but I've stopped following it because he new group working on it are bad and cover the thing in watermarks.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Horimiya is all right. It's just a couple being a couple with practically no drama, so it's a nice breather from the more dramatic shoujo. It's kind of like Bonnouji in that regard, though set in high school so you get some occasional high school dealings.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep reading Ao Haru Ride but I'm not really sure since I agree with pretty much all the criticism of it that was just posted. It occasionally has a nice moment, like the recent scene where all the friends watched the sunrise together and what's-his-face had something of an emotional breakthrough. Oh and I also like that the girl actually went out with someone else and made a pretty good effort at it even though it's obviously doomed so I think it has a few things going for it.

Horimiya is cute and fun, and I like the art (which is why it really sucks to have watermarks all over it, ugh).

I mentioned that I was reading Stretch earlier but at the time it just had a few chapters out. It's in the same vein as those cooking manga where it's mostly SOL with the instructional gimmick somewhere in every chapter.I was mostly skimming past the "how to stretch" bits and in recent chapters the stretches have been more peripheral to the story which was an improvement IMO. Not really a romance but their interactions are pretty great.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Stretch has been nice so far. I'm having some difficulty telling if the leads are supposed to have feelings for each other or if I'm just reading too much into it. I think its the latter, but the artstyle really reminds me of some yuri mangaka I can't quite place, so I keep expecting it to develop that way.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You probably recognize it because it's by the guy who drew prism.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
After checking, yeah that's exactly who I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name. Makes sense that he's working under a new penname.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yesss, return of the best current manga. It's weird how much I relate to her despite being almost the opposite of a female Japanese art student. I guess the idiocy of youth can be universal.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Blhue posted:

Stretch has been nice so far. I'm having some difficulty telling if the leads are supposed to have feelings for each other or if I'm just reading too much into it. I think its the latter, but the artstyle really reminds me of some yuri mangaka I can't quite place, so I keep expecting it to develop that way.

Yeah, the casual slice of life is really cute in this one, and the character interactions are nice and genuine, with a hint of something deeper, much like in Prism

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
It's actually gotten me back into stretching yall should try it before bed it's really nice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's known more for its comedy and strange/unique setup (it was discovered in the Surreal/Absurd Daily Life Thread after all), but the manga Jitsu wa Watashi wa ("The truth is, I'm...") has turned out to have a pretty decent romance so far. At the very least, it's heartwarming as hell.

The premise is that the main character is terrible at telling lies as everything shows on his face, which becomes a problem when he learns that the girl he likes is a vampire. And that the class president is an alien (who rides her body like its a giant mech). And that the childhood friend of the girl he likes is a werewolf (sort of). And so on.

It's been pretty good so far! I don't know how serious the romance side of it will get but it's been a positive addition thus far, which I wouldn't have necessarily expected given the its setup.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 16, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would go so far as to say JWWW is more than just "pretty good" and is downright fantastic. The comedy is good, the faces and aesthetics are pretty good, for something with characters with huge boobs the fanservice is actually really tame(outside of one particular character, of course), and there actually feels like there's progression. We can only hope that it doesn't turn into a cash cow for the creator and they drag it out forever, though if they can make it as interesting as it's been so far, I wouldn't mind. It's super good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah. For something that really should, by all rights, be a crappy harem thing, it is really funny and not...a crappy harem thing.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

(it was discovered in the Surreal/Absurd Daily Life Thread after all)

Page 30 :ssh:

I'm glad it turned out to be pretty fun. Though I could do with a lot less of the newspaper girl.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Here's another bonus chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, featuring Iyo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nondevor posted:

Here's another bonus chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, featuring Iyo.
Pages 16-17 sure are something.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is Kakukaku Shikajika day!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The best day!

:ssj:

edit:
I just want to keep posting panel after panel, what a great way to start out today.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a new Taiyou no Ie on the manga site of your choice. It is a pretty great one with boatloads of progression and oogy woogy family bonding :3:. I am wondering if the series is wrapping up, they've been tying up a bunch of loose ends as of late. If Mao winds up going with Hiro, I hope it doesn't just end there, but it probably will.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a new Taiyou no Ie on the manga site of your choice. It is a pretty great one with boatloads of progression and oogy woogy family bonding :3:. I am wondering if the series is wrapping up, they've been tying up a bunch of loose ends as of late. If Mao winds up going with Hiro, I hope it doesn't just end there, but it probably will.

That doll she wanted was super phallic.

Also, the chapter was super cute.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two more chapters of Kakukaku Shikajika :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Haruna Lemon getting a shout-out got me curious. Her stuff isn't translated and probably never will be considering it basically portrays the lifestyles of Takarazuka otaku, but it's interesting. Here's a blog post that kind of explains what her manga is about, and here's a link to her webcomic for any intrepid Japanese readers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I caught up to Horimiya and it's a lot better than I thought it'd be. It's cute and really funny at times, and the romance feels pretty great. I wouldn't necessarily put it up on par with high-tier stuff like Bonnouji or Paradise Kiss, but as far as high school romance series go, it's definitely good!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love Kakukaku Shikajika so much, she's conveying a lot of complex emotions all at once and it's so cool.

I love her, I love the teacher and I love that fuckin cat.

e:
Manga Girl vs Painter Girl is amazing.

Allarion posted:

Haruna Lemon getting a shout-out got me curious. Her stuff isn't translated and probably never will be considering it basically portrays the lifestyles of Takarazuka otaku, but it's interesting. Here's a blog post that kind of explains what her manga is about, and here's a link to her webcomic for any intrepid Japanese readers.

And thanks for posting this! Even though I can't read it, I was totally curious about what her art looked like.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 26, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Another Kakukaku Shikajika chapter today, gets a little meta but I'm curious where this is going.

Also two Taiyou no Ie mini-chapters. What were you planning to do with the pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really love Basara and 7 seeds. I don't know why more people haven't read this author's work. Basara kind of reminds me of Rose of Versailles - most likely due to the main character - and it's nice to read shojo that isn't yet another high school eternal romance thing.