Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

i'd found the first one but i wasn't sure how well a servo designed for 6V would work at 5V. second one looks pretty ok, only potential issue would be the depth rating, since it'd be a few more meters underwater than IP67 specifies

how far down would it have to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

how far down would it have to go?

at most 5 meters.

the watertight plugs that were supposed to be rated to 10m (IP68) needed some pretty involved modification to not leak at all at depth.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah theres not much in the way of premade waterproof servos that will handle that by default. maybe you can modify that second one in some way like plastidipping it on top of the default o-ringing that it comes with or something? i really dont know offhand what will actually survive being immersed 5m, thats a pretty hard problem

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4TmvbH_ow
cnc mill is running gonna make something with it this week

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neat. whatcha cutting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
nothing yet one of my stepper motors was defective out of the box and i dont get the new one until monday or so.

then it's probably a lot of crude wooden dong shapes to give to friends then car and home projects and stuff idk.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

motor honk is a feature not a bug

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

conductivity chat: if you want to make somewhat accurate measurements of conductivity for whatever reason, its really easy to do. youll want 2 electrodes to submerse, held at a constant distance from one another (the specific distance isnt so important, further apart will let you more easily measure highly concentrated solutions. they can be made from something like stainless steel rods. connect one electrode to something like +5V. you can use DC but a sine or square wave at 1-5kHz will keep them from fowling. on the other side, you want a transimpedance amplifier connected to a rectifier if youre not using DC. an IC like an AD536a is great for this, which measures true RMS.

you can reasonably calibrate it with nothing but table salt and a scale. use some that doesnt have iodine added if you want it more accurate for whatever reason. if you dont have access to high purity water, tap water put through a brita filter or similar purifier will do. 'pure' water has a conductivity of ~550 nS/cm, or 18.2 MOhms (S for Siemens is the unit of measurement for conductivity, which is simply 1/R)

http://sites.chem.colostate.edu/diverdi/all_courses/CRC%20reference%20data/electrical%20conductivity%20of%20aqueous%20solutions.pdf on this chart, find sodium chloride and make one of the solutions of 0.5% or 1%. with that measurement you can determine the cell constant as described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductivity_(electrolytic) under definitions. temperature will change this a bit but if youre not doing something that needs to be well calibrated it doesnt really matter.

fun fact: while conductivity is dictated by an ions mobility in an applied electric field, H+/OH- have far higher conductivities than they should because they 'cheat' and carry the charge along the bonds in the water instead of moving

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

huh, i had never thought about this before and it is p. cool. i guess distilled water is a real bad conductor then

i love to say dat there is always a small amount of conductivitity because pure h20 equilibirilises with OH- and H3O+ at concentrations of 1x0^-7 mmol each at pH7 heheh thats what pH7 means! lol! hahahahahehehehe

Jonny 290 posted:

pure water is a dielectric. its the dissolved minerals and such that makes it conductive

this is basically how the fertilizer PPM meters work, theyre just measuring resistance and since the fertilizer salts have a known conductivity per %concentration, given pure water and fertilizer you can figure out how much nutrient is in the water.

the flipside is that if you're using tap water, you have to measure it with the fertilizer meter and find the PPM concentration already in there, then subtract that from your final value. kind of like a tare on a scale

You'll be okay.

resistor color codes are really good to learn. one neat trivia about them is that there is a slight method to their design: color codes are set up such that if a resistor darkens over time and the bands change color, they will change in such a way that their 'labeled' resistance goes _up_. this is so taht you do not mistakenly replace a resistor with a lower-value one, increasing current flow and burning other things out. In 80% of cases it's safer to replace with a higher value resistor than lower. this doesnt mean the circuit will work, its just a safety thing.

ohms law is easy and you can obviously rearrange it to solve for X: V = IR, I = V/R and R = V/I.

kirchoff's law isnt a formula but just a statement: the current flowing into any point is exactly equal to the current flowing out of that same point. what this means in the real world is that for any circuit (defined as 'one individual path between V+ and ground or whatever) the current flowing through each component is exactly equal. this is key to figuring out how to control transistors and mosfets, and really everything.

if you need a wiggly voltage, you put a resistor, and a device that can change how much current it passes, in series. however much current passes through the transistor (let's say) will also pass through the resistor. modify how much current flows, and you get a wiggly voltage across the resistor that goes from

Vmin = minimum current the transistor allows * resistor value
to
Vmax = maxmimum current the transistor allows * resistor value

the inverse is true. if you need a variable current to drive something, you just figure out a resistor to put between it and your load that will sink the appropriate amount of current,based on how much you need, and how many volts you got coming in. this is how we provide inputs to the transistor circuit.

cool those things are good to know. thanks. until you pointed out anout transistors i thought i thought kirchovs rules were bullshit for captain obvious but it turns out i had mind-arrogance so yeah thanks for teaching me a lesson. i enjoy this stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stealth Like posted:

conductivity chat: if you want to make somewhat accurate measurements of conductivity for whatever reason, its really easy to do. youll want 2 electrodes to submerse, held at a constant distance from one another (the specific distance isnt so important, further apart will let you more easily measure highly concentrated solutions. they can be made from something like stainless steel rods. connect one electrode to something like +5V. you can use DC but a sine or square wave at 1-5kHz will keep them from fowling. on the other side, you want a transimpedance amplifier connected to a rectifier if youre not using DC. an IC like an AD536a is great for this, which measures true RMS.

you can reasonably calibrate it with nothing but table salt and a scale. use some that doesnt have iodine added if you want it more accurate for whatever reason. if you dont have access to high purity water, tap water put through a brita filter or similar purifier will do. 'pure' water has a conductivity of ~550 nS/cm, or 18.2 MOhms (S for Siemens is the unit of measurement for conductivity, which is simply 1/R)

http://sites.chem.colostate.edu/diverdi/all_courses/CRC%20reference%20data/electrical%20conductivity%20of%20aqueous%20solutions.pdf on this chart, find sodium chloride and make one of the solutions of 0.5% or 1%. with that measurement you can determine the cell constant as described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductivity_(electrolytic) under definitions. temperature will change this a bit but if youre not doing something that needs to be well calibrated it doesnt really matter.

fun fact: while conductivity is dictated by an ions mobility in an applied electric field, H+/OH- have far higher conductivities than they should because they 'cheat' and carry the charge along the bonds in the water instead of moving

owns

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
next project is a thing to tell me if my fermenting beer has had a blowoff.

just gonna be an attiny85 hooked up to two probes. if/when a blowoff happens the liquid will close the connection between the probes and the thing will make hella noise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

see that's the google solution to your problem. you want to strive for the apple solution, which is to do the beer or the fermentation vessel differently so that it doesn't blow off in the first place.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you can get stainless steel fermenters for several hundred dollars, but idk if anybody makes sealed ones. idk how keeping the co2 around would affect the fermentation.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
just use a blowoff tube with a good size bucket of water, or use a bigger primary, and spend the hundreds of dollars on grain and malt and honey and maybe 5-6 more carboys instead, idk?

yospos, help me splice an aux-in into this boombox that apparently turned vintage while it was sitting around in my closet? i don't usually gently caress around with audio levels and amps and poo poo.

i assume for headphone level input, i should patch in right after the pre-amps, and before the tone/volume pots ahead of the main amp, if i want my sweet analog knobs to work? like right after (or before??) R106 & R206?

ideally aux-in would replace tape input, but i dont wanna have to press the big chunky 'play' button to fire up the amp, or need to wire in a tape motor killswitch. will it just go if i feed it a signal like this, or am i missing something? (probably.) need fm, idgaf about am but it looks like the tuner board handles that upstream and it would go thru the pre-amps, so gently caress that, right?

also i'd like to be able to use the deck, at least occasionally... it seems to have some, like, 2600 cart thing labeled 'a - dark side - moon' and 'b - cool beats' inside it. god knows what that thing is

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
also if u own a sony CFS-204 heres your service manual, goddamn are old manuals good

http://imgur.com/a/lbzNT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eyah i came to the same conclusion (between those fixed resistors and the volume pot) although if you wanted to mess with it, you could maybe add a DPDT switch in line with those two lines going into the board at the top of the schem from the tuner, and feed through that.

that will get you preamplification but idk if it would be too much level
prob just go before the volume control

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
just use a headphone jack to tape adapter stereo guy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if you add that input and you feel like makin some bucks on the side, there's a cottage industry on ebay of people who go to pick-a-part junkyards and get 80s/90s car stereos that just had a tape deck or nothing, then add in a similar aux input and sell it on ebay for $100 or so like this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Chevy-T...608f5fe&vxp=mtr

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Lathespin.gif posted:

just use a blowoff tube with a good size bucket of water, or use a bigger primary, and spend the hundreds of dollars on grain and malt and honey and maybe 5-6 more carboys instead, idk?

i switched it over to a blowoff tube, and the primary fermenter is a 6 gallon carboy (5 gallon batch). i'd rather use an airlock if i can get away with it, since a big blowoff bucket takes up a lot of room.

this batch blew off because the temp in my apartment was too high, so instead of the fermentation temp being 70-ish it was 76+ degrees right at high krausen and the yeast went apeshit.

sparkfun sells a little water detector thing that buzzes when water is detected for like :10bux: so i'm just gonna go with that.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 13, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

not really my idiot spare time project, but i'm helping out

today i made a (bit crooked) tensegrity icosahedron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRVpLzgB-w

trying to figure out how to enclose it using aluminized mylar (aka chip bags), don't know what glue will stick the chip bag material to itself and balsa wood...

pointers fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 13, 2014

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
so i got an old gaggia espresso machine for £10 because the boiler had exploded

thought it'd be an easy swap job because literally every gaggia semi-auto has the same internals, plus or minus a three-way solenoid or adjustable overpressure valve

turns out i got the very last model (1986) before they switched to a taller boiler & the taller one is all that's available any more so there was many hours of loving around to get it to fit & i still need to rebuild the power switch

all the same i scrubbed the h*ck out of the internals, replaced all the gaskets, and sawed out the bottom of the portafilter so i could see how lovely my grind/tamp was and it now it makes coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpF5tmjzus

e: aww you can't really see the dozen or so gushers squirting off every which way but trust me they're there

Usagi-Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 14, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Welp, transferred it to the secondary fermenter. No blowoff tube because if it blows off while in secondary fermentation then poo poo is hosed and it's all gonna go down the drain.

edit: the foam is just harmless StarSan foam.

computer idiot spare time project edit: ordered one of these so i'll be alerted when/if the next batch has a blow off.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

continuing on the theme, I learned some more c# by writing a serial monitor thing.

the arduino's running a semi-functional blackjack program. it also understands a few serial commands for debugging. this just does them automatically from a window instead of the terminal in atmel studio.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

continuing on the theme, I learned some more c# by writing a serial monitor thing.

the arduino's running a semi-functional blackjack program. it also understands a few serial commands for debugging. this just does them automatically from a window instead of the terminal in atmel studio.

yuispos

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yes it looks like a 1990s ham radio program i am bad at the ui

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Doc Block posted:

Welp, transferred it to the secondary fermenter. No blowoff tube because if it blows off while in secondary fermentation then poo poo is hosed and it's all gonna go down the drain.

edit: the foam is just harmless StarSan foam.

computer idiot spare time project edit: ordered one of these so i'll be alerted when/if the next batch has a blow off.

starsan owns in a spray bottle if u didnt know already

are you using a carboy or a food grade bucket+fittings as a primary? if you use the s-turn type airlocks u can easily fit an overflow tube on it to a spare cider jug or something, in case of blowoff. or just use some decent size vinyl tube and make yr own s shape airlock with board+nails, (or even just duct tape the bitch) and leave a long tail on it and run to the spare bucket or whatever. can save a lot of cleanup if it gets excited

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, i have a spray bottle filled with starsan.

also, primary fermenter was a 6 gallon carboy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

yes it looks like a 1990s ham radio program i am bad at the ui

i've used worse

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

nah gently caress that mang. i aint buying poo poo to mod this thing, let alone one of those

so i hooked up a bench pw. supply set to 9v to the battery leads, so i wouldnt be loving around inside it on mains voltage (the 6 c duracells in it said 'best before 2000' and were dead as poo poo but hadnt leaked or fuzzed up :hellyeah:)

cracked that bitch open

and started taking poo poo apart

grabbed a pos mp3 player with 64 whole megabythes of internal storage!!! loaded it up with dethklok and chopped up a 3.5mm cable into some audio test leads, shrinkwrapped its ground braid an tinned some ends and poo poo

powered up the board and started probing around

with new input R and L channels fed into the amp right after r106/206 (and input ground plane tied to the nearby headphone jack ground pad) it blasts dethmetal, overriding any fm or am stations that it might tuned to (or static between freqs, doesnt seem to care AT ALL) and also plays if set on tape mode, AND i hit the PLAY button (although tyes the tape motor runs but who cares unless im running on batteries + just leave it set to radio i guess?? still dunno exactly how the read head circuit energizes the amp, but whatever)

awesome, didn't even need to throw a switch between teh tuner input or anything, if the new input is feeding at 5% volume or better and its plugged in it overrides any other audio signals. cant hear any crossfeed from the radio signals at any volume combinations at all once the grounds are tied together but maybe its there idk? if its tuned to 105.3 fm or whatever and i unplug the feed it instantly goes back to the radio. the input level seems a bit high, as in it's maxing the speakers at probably ~50% at the most on teh volume knob, with maybe 75% volume on the rio sport s30s and after switching back to fm i'd probably want to crank it up i guess, so maybe i should be on the other side of the 10k's at r106/206? but the volume and tone knobs work and scale nicely so...??? unless backfeeding the preamp and tuner circuits longterm is somehow gonna cause my boombox to burst into flames i don't really care, it worked great for 2-3 hours tonight so i'm calling calling Project Shop Radio Mk. ~7 a success :getin:

great, now grab an old pci soundcard or Creative™ SoundBlasterTM remote cable dingus pcb or some poo poo for a 3.5mm socket (save the usb socket in case you decide to wire a 7805 usb phone charger circuit into the boombox )

introduce that poor bitch of a pcb to a bandsaw, clean up edges with grinder/file and check for shorts/pinout (or just buy one from ratshack or mouser or whatevs if yr a scrub)

cleanup yr board wiring/routing, add some hotglue strain reliefs

reinstall main and sub boards, locate position of new AUX socket, drill hole and hotglue that sucker in

gold-plate bitchesss :snoop:

plug in patch cable and re-check , finish reassembling tape mechanism/faceplate including reclocking radio tuner mechanical gauge, whoops! (tip: tune board gear hard clockwise, slide gauge indicator rack to indicated ~108fm, installation is reverse of removal, etc, etc)

close that bitch back up, plug in the mains lead, fire up murmaider and go start shoppin ni-mh C cells on amazon/ebay, gently caress yeah.

also i was wrong, tape side a is labeled as *soft beat* :ohdear:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lathespin.gif posted:

nah gently caress that mang. i aint buying poo poo to mod this thing, let alone one of those

so i hooked up a bench pw. supply set to 9v to the battery leads, so i wouldnt be loving around inside it on mains voltage (the 6 c duracells in it said 'best before 2000' and were dead as poo poo but hadnt leaked or fuzzed up :hellyeah:)

that is awesome

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
lolllll ~*side a: soft beat*~ track 1: orbital - halcyon on and on :hellyeah:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
even more proof that the 90s were great, imo

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
...also hackers owns

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Lathespin.gif posted:

lolllll ~*side a: soft beat*~ track 1: orbital - halcyon on and on :hellyeah:

futurewife was watching a movie and this song came on during the fade to credits wrap and i was like 'oh man i loving love this song'

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
new stepper motor came in so i made a crude penis drawing using arrow keys to jog cnc mill, gonna try setting up some actual programs tomorrow probably

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

made a pretty fast markov chain library in cpp, then more recently got around to making a python+beautifulsoup wrapper to fetch and insert sa threads

here's the first few lines i got for this thread:

quote:

and then do it for years and that's what is the best: adlib gold 1000

i mean obviously reading stuff's worthwhile (just got my smart dog book) but i dont thnbink ive ever used a 1kohm as the msp launchpad at $22 but transistors seem like they'll turn out it'll let me get back to my hometown's polytech to learn to ejaculate without touch your penis (either directly or indirectly)

what u REALLY need is this mosfet only useful classes. i have

I have zero motivation as a diode with a uC and it was exactly like a week on anything at all. u may not turn your head 45 degrees and look 90 or grinding head in the code, and after telling the driver to the mix good I can see how this works 99% of the people who think they're cool. Like, I'd just be hard to find the ideal equation for it right now, doing what your doing it once my compound objects got to lose motivation and the FartOwnerId automatically created for you

but yeah its a mechanical demux hth

ahh that's gonna be a good minute or so ago they were soldered. barf

also bitcoins instead of the cycle proceed automatically. did he do it? no, "i need to share the new members of the wood to about the color cycling, it's best to restrict your cycling to two probes. if/when a blowoff tube, so lots of Grolsch in flip tops and reuse the bottles. flip tops own for debugging using step into, but you are clearly a man that doesnt have iodine added if you can, that generally improves the converted quality at all

lol as if i'm doing reading on how much you need, and these days

10A at 12v-14v isn't really all that poo poo

Anyway, soldered it all there. might as well get in your designs. I'm amazed I didn't quite mean people like you suggested but stil didn't realy like the diagram says to do stuff like I used http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm when I have a good powered hub is probably complicated as gently caress - gimme some fuckin hot air thing is halfway done, gotta do my own operating system is in series and/or parallel.

(didn't bother having the fetcher be logged in while fetching so swearing is filtered out :( )

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?
i took two things i wanted to play around with and smashed them together

tweetakeet: the markov chain twitter bot

https://twitter.com/tweetakeet

i use the bot's feed as an input (so i can whitelist people by following them) and anyone who mentions the bot will get a generated tweet shot back at them. still need to do some error handling, it isn't smart at all about tweet length so it just fails silently sometimes. once i get that sorted out i want to build a gui that lets you view the different chain nodes and play with probabilities.

idk it kept me interested for a little bit.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i know someone literally called me "the fishmech of chrome extensions" so lol, but this is the first and last post ill make about this

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webmbed/gfbfkmmaicfmegknnopfbdgjbbeijkmn

i figured it would be handy to somebody to have webm stuff inline anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

i thought you could only post in project.log