Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

morestuff posted:

Inland Empire.

Yeah, I'd love for Lynch to go back to feature film (I know he's been doing some shorts here and there), but if he's gotta go out on any movie then it might as well be that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I need to watch Inland Empire again. I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around it, it's just so bizarre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Inland Empire.

INLAND EMPIRE

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

morestuff posted:

Beef brains is where it's at.

There any good beef brain places in Chicago?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hewlett posted:

There any good beef brain places in Chicago?

Taqueria Traspasada at Chicago and Ashland, or California and Elston. They've got two locations.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 13, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

The heavy theory crowd should totally watch some late period WCW. Vince Russo, as inept as he is, keeps trying all this weird complicated meta poo poo. Wrestlers "not following the script", talking about jobbing, it's... Interesting.

nWo Souled Out is before him but it's fairly artistic too. Terrible, mind you, but a rare case of trying to give a PPV a theme and atmosphere of its own.

It's what happens when a wrestling company has unlimited money.

Nothing about it is interesting, it's all loving terrible and confusing and dumb, because none of it is real, but this part is pretending to be real, and now we're acknowledging that that part is fake but this OTHER part, this is totally real, but then it turns out that's fake too, it's asinine and stupid and Hogan legitimately quitting over being called a "bald son of a bitch" in a worked shoot is the funniest goddamn thing.

WCW can suck my rear end.

And Souled Out is a neat concept that stems from Eric Bischoff being a goddamn idiot and then, like all of his ideas, turns out to be dog poo poo.

edit Also I don't know who the heavy theory crowd is.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I make a point to drive 20 minutes from my house to go to Chipotle in a neighborhood where there is no other decent Mexican food because I legitimately think it tastes awesome :shobon:

But I get cravings for it the same as I get cravings for the authentic Mexican places around here. It's not like I'm gonna limit myself to eat at one and not the other. They're both good for different reasons.

I've been to a bunch of dingy looking Mexican restaurants, both here at home and in other states, under the assumption that they have the more authentic food, and they've almost universally been dogshit.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I make a point to drive 20 minutes from my house to go to Chipotle in a neighborhood where there is no other decent Mexican food because I legitimately think it tastes awesome :shobon:

Big shock, the guy who has bad opinions on literally everything loves crappy chain-restaurant food.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Noxville posted:

Big shock, the guy who has bad opinions on literally everything loves crappy chain-restaurant food.

Oh come on now. Yeah, I saw that typo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Has he talked about retiring?

He just can't get poo poo funded.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lynch could just do more "work for hire" like he did for The Elephant Man and The Straight Story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Frankly, the Elephant Man might be my favorite movie of his.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frankly, the Elephant Man might be my favorite movie of his.

It's up there.

What's everyone's thoughts on Dune? I say it's better than Return of the Jedi.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The best thing about Dune is the amazing atmosphere.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Mine will always be Mulholland Drive. That movie has bounced around in my head more than any other movie I've ever seen. It took me years just to figure out what I even thought of that movie. I eventually realized that the reason it stuck with me was because it's one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.

EDIT: I do wish we had more of a glimpse of its world, though. It's one of those movies like Inglourious Basterds or Dick Tracy where I feel like I've peeped at its inner workings through a keyhole. I know a good movie is supposed to leave me wanting more, but these movies leave me wanting a gently caress of a lot more.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The best thing about Dune is the amazing atmosphere.

Until Inland Empire, it was easily the most "Lynchian" film he ever made.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The other day I was on a date and we were talking about James Bond movies. At one point he asked me if Octopussy had a villain with eight vaginas. I think I found a keeper, you guys.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I guess I'll rep Blue Velvet as Lynch's best film.

Everything about it is nothing short of delightful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CPFortest posted:

I guess I'll rep Blue Velvet as Lynch's best film.

Everything about it is nothing short of delightful.

I like Blue Velvet, but "delightful" is a strange word to describe it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The other day I was on a date and we were talking about James Bond movies. At one point he asked me if Octopussy had a villain with eight vaginas. I think I found a keeper, you guys.

I never said that!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
All the Rocky chat made me rewatch Rocky IV. It is the platonic ideal of "cheap cash-in." I had somehow completely forgotten that it is 10 minutes of plot and 80 minutes of montage. But Rocky wins the Cold War by absorbing approximately 300 haymakers to the face and then managing to throw about 100 of his own in the 16th round, so it still rules.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If that's his last one, that's a hell of a movie to go out on.

It's wonderful to see all of his feature film career culminate in basically the exact thing critics had been accusing him of for years.

He just can't get poo poo funded.

How utterly bizarre is that. He's a goddamn household name in the film industry.

CPL593H posted:

I like this guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ChickenMedium posted:

All the Rocky chat made me rewatch Rocky IV. It is the platonic ideal of "cheap cash-in." I had somehow completely forgotten that it is 10 minutes of plot and 80 minutes of montage. But Rocky wins the Cold War by absorbing approximately 300 haymakers to the face and then managing to throw about 100 of his own in the 16th round, so it still rules.

Is Rocky IV even 90 minutes? It can't be.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I never said that!

You had your chance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Literally The Worst posted:

I never said that!
CPL was using you. For your butt. We all knew it. But it's hard to tell someone these things.
I'm glad all the arting I've been trying to do will pay off someday.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Is Rocky IV even 90 minutes? It can't be.

It is in fact 90 minutes on the button.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How utterly bizarre is that. He's a goddamn household name in the film industry.

Lynch was a household name, sure, but Inland Empire didn't exactly set the world on fire critically or commercially, and it's been like thirteen years since Mulholland Drive. I'd be wary of giving him money if I were concerned with the bottom line, too.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I would absolutely love it if Lynch went into comics. I really, really wish it was more of a norm to see filmmakers pull a Joss Whedon/Mac Rauch/Mitch Hurwitz and continue their stories in the form of comics and/or novels when budgets preclude them from telling their stories on screen. I would do horrible, debasing things to see Lynch continue Twin Peaks in graphic novel form.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mitch Hurwitz wrote a comic book?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

morestuff posted:

Mitch Hurwitz wrote a comic book?
That's why I added novels. He's releasing a Clarissa Explains it All novel later this year.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CloseFriend posted:

I would absolutely love it if Lynch went into comics. I really, really wish it was more of a norm to see filmmakers pull a Joss Whedon/Mac Rauch/Mitch Hurwitz and continue their stories in the form of comics and/or novels when budgets preclude them from telling their stories on screen. I would do horrible, debasing things to see Lynch continue Twin Peaks in graphic novel form.

http://www.davidlynch.de/angry.html

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

That's why I added novels. He's releasing a Clarissa Explains it All novel later this year.

Looks like that's Mitchell Kriegman, not Hurwitz.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The guy seems to be into lots of vagina maybe hes not right for you

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

morestuff posted:

Looks like that's Mitchell Kriegman, not Hurwitz.
Goddammit. I always confuse my Mitchells. So neither of them tormented their neighbor Mr. Wilson?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CloseFriend posted:

Whedon doesn't actually write the Buffy/Angel comics, as far as I'm aware, as evidenced by them coming out on time. It's just another property that was licensed to IDW.

I'm about to start synchtubing a movie called Deception of a Generation. It's an 80s "documentary" on how cartoons are Satan's way of corrupting our youth. You should watch it with me

edit He-Man is an occultic forerunner.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 13, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm not sure whether I want to watch The Third Man tonight or the Scooby-Doo movie where he teams up with John Cena and Sin Cara, and Sin Cara speaks only in acrobatics, which John Cena has to translate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

I'm not sure whether I want to watch The Third Man tonight or the Scooby-Doo movie where he teams up with John Cena and Sin Cara, and Sin Cara speaks only in acrobatics, which John Cena has to translate.

Its the Scooby Doo movie.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I need to watch Inland Empire again. I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around it, it's just so bizarre.

Wikipedia posted:

Lynch shot the film without a complete screenplay. Instead, he handed each actor several pages of freshly written dialogue each day.[3] In a 2005 interview, he described his feelings about the shooting process: "I've never worked on a project in this way before. I don’t know exactly how this thing will finally unfold... This film is very different because I don’t have a script. I write the thing scene by scene and much of it is shot and I don’t have much of a clue where it will end. It’s a risk, but I have this feeling that because all things are unified, this idea over here in that room will somehow relate to that idea over there in the pink room."[8]

Interviewed at the Venice Film Festival, Laura Dern admitted that she didn't know what Inland Empire was about or the role she was playing, but hoped that seeing the film's premiere at the festival would help her "learn more."[3] Justin Theroux has also stated that he "couldn't possibly tell you what the film's about, and at this point I don't know that David Lynch could. It's become sort of a pastime—Laura [Dern] and I sit around on set trying to figure out what's going on."

I really, really liked his album from last year, The Big Dream.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can't someone make a movie where Melissa McCarthy isn't a horrible piece of poo poo? Like, I see her actually act when she needs to, and is totally convincing..but gently caress all of her characters man. gently caress them all so hard. I just watched The Heat and she was such a horrible person throughout that I had zero sympathy for her. I didn't feel bad for Bullock's character dealing with her either because she apparently became stupid once she met up with McCarthy. I don't know. It wasn't that funny to me.

Characters who are terrible people can work, but you have to play them perfectly. Kenny Powers works because everyone hates him, and he doesn't control a single thing. McCarthy's character doesn't work because she bullies people around and takes over everything and everyone. It's not funny. It's obnoxious. Her first scene turned me off of her character entirely. She had no business loving that guy's life up because he wants sex and is lacking in logic or class. So what? Unless her character's back story was her previous husband did the same thing...but it wasn't, so there was no point other than being needlessly mean spirited. I don't get her comedy. I don't like these gross mean people she plays because they're always set up the same. Massive piece of poo poo, but hey, if you tolerate her, you'd realize that she's actually a broken person or some poo poo. No. You tell me that first so when she's acting like a piece of poo poo, I don't have to wish her character would get hit by a bus.

Sorry. TLDR: Melissa McCarthy should do more then being a horrible piece of poo poo in movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Watch Bridesmaids.

Or Gilmore Girls.

• Locked thread