Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sean Young, iffy? She's always super solid in whatever I see her in.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah in retrospect 3 might be the best season so far, although for me the high points of 2 are higher and 4 feels the most well-balanced.

I love the way Buscemi plays their scenes together too, like he's just perpetually flabbergasted at how increasingly angry Rosetti gets for no reason.

In a lot of ways the whole show is worth it to see various actors pulling faces. Shea Wigham, Michael Shannon and Michael Stuhlbarg have raised it to an artform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed. But also, gently caress anything with James too. That was so loving pointless I almost stopped watching it. But we did get one good thing out of Windom Earle's plot, we got Ted Raimi dead inside a giant chess piece. Which was amazing.

e: BOB is indeed awesome.

Jeez I actually forgot who James even was for a second. I feel about him the same way as Hundu, but he's ultimately forgettable in the grand scheme of things, mainly because of where his plot goes. But that part where he and Laura Flynn-Boyle and Maddy Palmer perform that weird dreamy pop-rock song is strangely another one of my favorite parts of show. Just comes out of nowhere, and has that same bizarre "is this the 80s or 50s?" thing going for it that I love about Blue Velvet (and yeah I know Twin Peaks was the 90s whatever).

Also, Slice (heh) of Life: I think I have an audition for a short film in which I'd be castrated on camera. I hope I can sell it like Roger Bart did.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 14, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sean Young, iffy? She's always super solid in whatever I see her in.

Yeah, she has some really good moments but at certain points her acting just took me out of the film.

Trying really hard to be a redneck mother.

e: I think it's a combination of the writing for her and being slightly miscast in my eyes. It feels like she should be a terrifying force, I don't know. The words seem to come a tiny bit too forced, and maybe the character would have been stronger if a more imposing actress was chosen.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 14, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In a lot of ways the whole show is worth it to see various actors pulling faces. Shea Wigham, Michael Shannon and Michael Stuhlbarg have raised it to an artform.

The face Stuhlbarg pulls when Rosetti calls him a "smug kike midget, creeping around like a dentist with the ether" slays me every drat time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hahaha yes. It's like watching Derek Zoolander or something.

Its his perfect hair and he's always got that puss on. I honestly don't know if he's a bad actor or not, but I imagine him growing up and turning into Ben from Blue Velvet.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The face Stuhlbarg pulls when Rosetti calls him a "smug kike midget, creeping around like a dentist with the ether" slays me every drat time.

I'll never forget this but there's a good moment at the end of the second season where he's taking a phone call from Nucky and he hangs up the phone and there's a really weird pause where he feels triumphant. I don't know if it's the makeup or what but he looks like a drat ventriloquist's puppet. Its so creepy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Its his perfect hair and he's always got that puss on. I honestly don't know if he's a bad actor or not, but I imagine him growing up and turning into Ben from Blue Velvet.

The only other movie I remember seeing him in was A Few Good Men, and in that he was pretty much a stoic soldier who keeps his mouth shut the entire time so who knows.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll never forget this but there's a good moment at the end of the second season where he's taking a phone call from Nicky and he hangs up the phone and there's a really weird pause where he feels triumphant. I don't know if it's the makeup or what but he looks like a drat ventriloquist's puppet. Its so creepy.

A ventriloquist's puppet is exactly what he looks like. It's gotten even more pronounced as the show's gone on, and it made the bits where he tried to act all warm-and-fuzzy in season 4 extra creepy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

FishBulb posted:

There was a shooting at the Jewish community center today in the suburb I live in. They caught the guy that did it at my kid's elementary school screaming heil Hitler apparently.

Yeah I mean that's a thing that happened. loving nazis wtf

I hate Illinois nazis.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mad Men season 7A starts tonight! Who's ready to watch Don Draper continue to burn down his carefully constructed life some more?????

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I hope Don has lots of moments of somber enlightenment that completely fail to change him as a person.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Literally The Worst posted:

Mad Men season 7A starts tonight! Who's ready to watch Don Draper continue to burn down his carefully constructed life some more?????

Me?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I was a little worried that I might miss it for Total Divas, but luckily they don't overlap.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Supercar Gautier posted:

I hope Don has lots of moments of somber enlightenment that completely fail to change him as a person.

This but unironically.

I Before E posted:

I was a little worried that I might miss it for Total Divas, but luckily they don't overlap.

I can't bring myself to watch Total Divas until they do an entire season focusing on Nattie.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

TrixRabbi posted:

How's Japan been anyway?

On one hand, there's lots of amazing food, museums, and awesome shopping opportunities. On the other hand, things are expensive, I've always had trouble making new friends, and the latest semester of grad school is kicking my rear end.

But I think the most interesting thing I've found about being here is realizing just how much World War II still reverberates. The endless diplomatic arguments between Japan and Korea and China over wartime atrocities is still ongoing, and so much of the Japanese identity seems to be formed by being victims of the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima/Nagasaki. It's just something you never think about coming from a country where most people seem to actively avoid talking about the wars we're currently in, let alone things that happened seven decades ago.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Pick Hard posted:

David Bordwell's blog is a treasure trove, and his books ain't bad either.

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/

Bordwell's Ozu book is terrific.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was so happy that it was warm yesterday that I forgot to check if it was going to stay warm, or turn wet and cold, when I chose what clothing to wear today.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Speaking of Mad Men, this is one of the worst concepts for a TV think piece I've ever seen.

quote:

The disappointment that followed didn’t stem from any particular bloodlust, but rather from the implied reminder that Mad Men, unlike other, more interactive shows on the air, belongs to one man and one man alone. Fan theories don’t have to be right, but they are increasingly indulged by producers as a key part of the overall experience. When properly stoked and curated, these flights of fancy help keep series alive in the long hours between original airings and the even longer months between seasons. Yanking the creative reins away from viewers, Weiner maintained his firm control over Mad Men while at the same time revealing something rather telling about it: A show about a man losing touch with his era appeared to be slowly losing touch with its own.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
As a reminder, I have been saying for years that the successor to Mad Men needs to be a '60s dramatization about the Marvel offices, called The Bullpen, starring Bryan Cranston as Stan Lee.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

zVxTeflon posted:

The guy seems to be into lots of vagina maybe hes not right for you

But he couldn't resist my charms!

CelticPredator posted:

Bridesmaids is fine. But we have Identity Thief (fuckkkk), The Heat, and now that one movie called Tammy, which is about McCarthy playing a piece of poo poo who robs people...I think anyway.

If she's getting paid well, I guess. But eh. She can do better.

What makes me sad about Melissa McCarthy is that she's one of those fantastic actors who gets nothing but poo poo material.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DNS posted:

Bordwell's Ozu book is terrific.
What makes it different from other books about Ozu?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Identity Thief was terrible, but I wouldn't put the blame on McCarthy for that one.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Giving TV viewers exactly what they want led to Agents of Shield, so I'm gonna say Weiner is in the right here.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Coaaab posted:

What makes it different from other books about Ozu?

I couldn't say, having not read any others.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This writer is the worst.

Mad Men premiere was great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vargo posted:

As a reminder, I have been saying for years that the successor to Mad Men needs to be a '60s dramatization about the Marvel offices, called The Bullpen, starring Bryan Cranston as Stan Lee.

Who plays Kirby, who plays Ditko, who plays Roy Thomas?

"Matthew Weiner ignores the internet, therefore he's a poo poo and not a guy who knows what the gently caress he wants to do"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Who plays Kirby, who plays Ditko, who plays Roy Thomas?

Jon Hamm plays Steranko.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSpbu4CzUk

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, the ending to Three Outlaw Samurai is brutal.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/04/13/2014-mtv-movie-awards-winners-list/7683295/

Hey guys why aren't we talking about The Hunger Games 2 sweeping the most important awards show of them all?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I Before E posted:

Jon Hamm plays Steranko.

Jesse Plemons as Rob Liefeld in a flash-forward scene.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

Jesse Plemons as Rob Liefeld in a flash-forward scene.

No because I don't hate Rob Liefeld.

I Before E posted:

Jon Hamm plays Steranko.

Not interesting enough. Nicolas Cage.

edit: Jim Shooter is played by the guy who plays Pete on Mad Men. Alison Brie as the receptionest whose name escapes me.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Vargo, I finally watched Frozen tonight, and I caught this post from early on the movie's thread:

Vargo posted:

The whole soundtrack is available on Spotify now. Which caused me to go and listen to "Defying Gravity", and... I actually think "Let It Go" is better.

And I'm gonna have to ask you return your ears to the proper authorities, because you just lost the right to use them. For all of the complaints one can level at Wicked, and there are a number, if you don't get chills down your spine, bumps on your arm, and randomly stand and applaud at the final note of that song, you have no soul. Let It Go doesn't come close.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Yoshifan823 posted:

And I'm gonna have to ask you return your ears to the proper authorities, because you just lost the right to use them. For all of the complaints one can level at Wicked, and there are a number, if you don't get chills down your spine, bumps on your arm, and randomly stand and applaud at the final note of that song, you have no soul. Let It Go doesn't come close.

Glad someone's finally talking sense around here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not interesting enough. Nicolas Cage.

edit: Jim Shooter is played by the guy who plays Pete on Mad Men. Alison Brie as the receptionest whose name escapes me.

Roy Thomas is played by that kid from Game of Thrones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

Roy Thomas is played by that kid from Game of Thrones.

The one who plays Joffrey? Absolutely.

Steve Ditko will be played by the ghost of Ayn Rand.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Does this mean you hate Jesse Plemmons?

Explain yourself, Dickeye!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Raid 2 takes a while to get going, but when it does, it gets going

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Does this mean you hate Jesse Plemmons?

Explain yourself, Dickeye!

I hate his loving face. I don't mean that in a facetious way I mean I literally hate his face and want to hit it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

weekly font posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/04/13/2014-mtv-movie-awards-winners-list/7683295/

Hey guys why aren't we talking about The Hunger Games 2 sweeping the most important awards show of them all?

Oh my god it beat 12 Years a Slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh my god it beat 12 Years a Slave.

I went to church today with my family while I'm in town visiting, and I'll be damned if the the church's movie group, Films for Fun and Faith, isn't meeting to discuss that very movie. I dunno if "fun" is the word I'd use to describe 12 Years a Slave.

• Locked thread