Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chump Farts posted:

Holy gently caress they put War in the East down to 40 dollars. If you want a great game at an almost reasonable price, now is the time.

Why does this have to happen the week I just dropped a thousand euro on a new PC :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Drone posted:

Why does this have to happen the week I just dropped a thousand euro on a new PC :gonk:

:stare: that should have gotten you a pretty fast rig.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Koesj posted:

:stare: that should have gotten you a pretty fast rig.

Well, monitor + OS + accessories too. So a decent rig.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Just think of it as future-proofing your PC for the FSAA, volumetric lighting, lens flare and other 3D graphical bells and whistles of War in the West

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are the expansions pretty much required for WitE (kinda like how buying the non-Admirals Edition of WitP is pretty dumb)?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
No, not at all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just think of it as future-proofing your PC for the FSAA, volumetric lighting, lens flare and other 3D graphical bells and whistles of War in the West

I think his new rig might be able to render the four year campaign in the East in real time

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ArchangeI posted:

I think his new rig might be able to render the four year campaign in the East in real time

Drone's War in the East: Day by Day

(Things that will never happen. I'm not nearly crazy enough to LP a game every single day for several years, unlike some...)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Are the expansions pretty much required for WitE (kinda like how buying the non-Admirals Edition of WitP is pretty dumb)?

Nope! They're both very much "scenario packs" rather than expansions, with all patches/fixes/mechanics-changes being part of the base game. Since 99% of your gameplay is going to be in grand campaigns, Don to the Danube can be skipped completely, while The Lost Battles is worth it only if you really want to get the Sudden Death variant of the grand campaign.

Drone posted:

Drone's War in the East: Day by Day

(Things that will never happen. I'm not nearly crazy enough to LP a game every single day for several years, unlike some...)

To be fair, weekly turns of 4 years is just 200ish turns, so that's only the better part of one year if you do one a day

ArchangeI posted:

I just had a vision of Command Ops spanning the entire Eastern Front and running in real-time all the time for the next 4 years. You could probably make it an MMO with hundreds of commanders on either side.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 14, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

Don to the Danube's scenarios aren't great and since it basically a scenario pack don't get it. Lost Battles has some scenarios that are actually pretty cool and like gradenko said it has the sudden death variant which is fun but not essential. What we really need to do is figure out how to mod wite to let us split the fronts into different goon commands. Split the German and Soviet armies into North/Center/South, give each to a goon and go nuts. Even better get a non-wargamer to play high command so they give completely insane and unreasonable orders.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So what's the verdict on Red Thunder?

I don't have any of the other CM games as the infantry as a square block thing kinda put me off but it looks like infantry are now modeled separately like Close Combat?

How is the multiplayer community?

Is the AI competent in attack and defense?

Thanks!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Huskalator posted:

I don't have any of the other CM games as the infantry as a square block thing kinda put me off but it looks like infantry are now modeled separately like Close Combat?

Thanks!

It has a curious habit of reversing the attacker and defender in quick battles. dtkozl and I can't work out why.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

So much for the policy of not putting the premium games on big discounts. Seems like the last remnants of the old Matrix have been swept away, or something.

===

uPen posted:

Don to the Danube's scenarios aren't great and since it basically a scenario pack don't get it. Lost Battles has some scenarios that are actually pretty cool and like gradenko said it has the sudden death variant which is fun but not essential. What we really need to do is figure out how to mod wite to let us split the fronts into different goon commands. Split the German and Soviet armies into North/Center/South, give each to a goon and go nuts. Even better get a non-wargamer to play high command so they give completely insane and unreasonable orders.

You can already pass the save across multiple people. You do need an overall commander though either as one of the front commanders or a separate player altogether to make decisions on which front gets which divisions.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Huskalator posted:

The last of the original CM trilogy, which you appear to be thinking of, was released in 2003. Each soldier have been individually modelled since Shock Force which was released in 2007. Try the Fortress Italy demo. Multiplayer means finding an opponent in here or other forums or chat as there is no in-game lobby or service like Slitherine's PBEM++. If you like PBEM there is a tool for that that automates the file transfer via Dropbox.

AI is scripted so depending on scenario and designer's efforts it can be fairly passive or a good challenge, even if never close to a human player. Red Thunder added to this the concept of triggers, as earlier the programmed opponent had no means of reacting to player's moves.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It has a curious habit of reversing the attacker and defender in quick battles. dtkozl and I can't work out why.

AHA! AHA AHA AHA!!!

Dublish and I just had that on BN and thought it was our fault! I knew it!

Also: Scenario designers can make multiple AI plans so it'll pick different ones each time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

AHA! AHA AHA AHA!!!

Dublish and I just had that on BN and thought it was our fault! I knew it!

Also: Scenario designers can make multiple AI plans so it'll pick different ones each time.

It seems my install was slightly borked. Will report back later with test results.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I find that CM games need to be deleted and reinstalled every once in a while.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Huskalator posted:

Thanks!

The community is good and in terms of AI it is good with scenarios and campaigns, but the quick battle portion seems strangely incompetent. The map portions are a lot more realistic but then there are things like an entire village made up of houses with windows in the front and back but none of the sides, making firing lines ridiculous. Then there are the AI setups where they have the majority of the AI army deploying deep in some woods or behind a hill without LOS to the objective so you can just drive into the fucker without seeing the enemy. That garbage is all easily fixed though why they let these games released like this is anyone's guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dtkozl posted:

That garbage is all easily fixed though why they let these games released like this is anyone's guess.

Is Fortress Italy / BFN any better in that regard, since they're been getting patched for a while now?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
No its the same map makers but at least with BN and FI there are tons of user made maps to use and it is not like you can't mess with them yourself.

This issue Alchenar and I are having has bled over to my other pbem partner and it is really starting to make me angry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is hypothetical question, but if one were to make Combat Mission: World War I, and handwaving away the command-and-control realism concerns, what would be the smallest unit that a player might be able to command? Or would it still resemble Total War more, just with more fluid whole battalions?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Would a WWI setting allow CM's orders and simulation to shine through? I'm not a history expert (nor do I play one on TV) but as far as I know WWI didn't have the cool tactics and terrain usage that makes WWII CM so neat and fun and interesting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Would a WWI setting allow CM's orders and simulation to shine through? I'm not a history expert (nor do I play one on TV) but as far as I know WWI didn't have the cool tactics and terrain usage that makes WWII CM so neat and fun and interesting.

Late WW1 tactics were quite modern, but mostly I think CM engine would have to impose lots of heavy morale penalties to ensure that units act uniformly... rules for reliance on messengers would be needed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nenonen posted:

Late WW1 tactics were quite modern, but mostly I think CM engine would have to impose lots of heavy morale penalties to ensure that units act uniformly... rules for reliance on messengers would be needed.

It would probably also result in a pretty static battlefield; WWI was a fairly slow war interspaced with brief moments of frenzy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Neruz posted:

It would probably also result in a pretty static battlefield; WWI was a fairly slow war interspaced with brief moments of frenzy.

That's the whole point of CM though, you only play the action. Who cares if the front only moves a mile a year if you play the 8 hours when it moves that mile.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah, I wasn't presuming that CM would be particularly suited for WWI-era combat (except perhaps for being a really visceral artillery and machine gun simulator), I was just wondering how small-unit this hypothetical game would let you command if it did. Battalions? Companies? Platoons? Squads but only by 1916-and-onwards?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

If I remember my WWI history correctly, the successful offensives in the west worked by feeding more and more assault/infiltration teams to cement the gains of the initial waves.

I think a 2003-era squad approach would be appropriate, given the numbers & casualties required.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The pucker factor.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

dtkozl posted:

The pucker factor.

Cannister shot is the best.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The AI once canistered a house I had a squad in at a 45° angle. None of my guys flinched and most of the shots went into his own flank. Sadly I don't think he ff'd anyone but it was right in the middle of a squad.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Best joke of the thread.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We are rapidly hurtling towards the end of the current Decisive Campaigns game. Time to pick which scenario (Warsaw or Paris) we'll do next time and what settings we will use.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone should really do a post game wrap up for the thread. I would do it but as the Dutch it consisted mostly of falling back, triggering the polder flooding and hitting end turn as the whole country got overrun.

EDIT: I'll be away for most of the latter half of April so I may have to sit out the next game. Would have wanted to go take a German force again if I could still make it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 16, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Alchenar said it was all my fault we lost.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Talk me out of/into War in the East for $40, a game which I realistically know I will never end up playing, but is so beautiful in concept to own. :(

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Huskalator posted:

I'm not really that happy with it. The AI is pretty bad in QBs, and the interface is a total dog. It also runs badly.

Slyfrog, to talk you out of it, if you're not going to play it, spend the $40 on a trip out with your wife or something. You'll at least enjoy that once.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlyFrog posted:

Talk me out of/into War in the East for $40, a game which I realistically know I will never end up playing, but is so beautiful in concept to own. :(

It's not a perfect game but it's fun and the smaller scenarios are pretty easy to get into.

dtkozl posted:

Alchenar said it was all my fault we lost.

It was the allies fault as a whole, we barely coordinated on anything and we certainly didn't have any sort of plan. We were 4 separate governments all doing our own thing and now I'm the only one with an army left (barely.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can kill more than WITE's share of 40 USD hours just running the small scenarios, and playing as the Soviets against the German AI even all the way up to the Challenging difficulty level will still probably give you a win even if you're total newbie at the game, as long as you can stand moving all the units.

(a similar situation exists in WITP as the Allies vs the Japanese AI, but "going through the motions" in WITP is an order of magnitude more tedious!)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

It was the allies fault as a whole, we barely coordinated on anything and we certainly didn't have any sort of plan. We were 4 separate governments all doing our own thing and now I'm the only one with an army left (barely.)

It is amusing how with free setup and No Dyle Plan you still managed to end up with the BEF stuck at Antwerp while Panzers range up the coast and the French in total collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

uPen posted:

I agree 100% I just made the comment because he told me I should have taken over and told everyone what to do while we were playing scourge of war. Whoever is on the allies next time I think it would be best to at least elect a supreme commander so it doesn't happen again.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 16, 2014