Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Cool file cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
File cabinet update: I got a closer look at it and it looked like a 4x5 (or maybe 5x7? I didn't have a ruler with me. Lens was labeled BAUSCH AND LOMB 8x5), not an 8x10. The (port? socket?) where the shutter release cable attaches to the lens board is smashed to gently caress and unusable. Definitely some sort of cocoon or egg case inside. Additionally, I read the price tag wrong and it's $55, not $35. I didn't pick it up since my two year old roaming around the antique store while I googled lens board / shutter release repair would not have been an ideal situation. Might still go back and grab it if y'all still think it's worthwhile.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

File cabinet update: I got a closer look at it and it looked like a 4x5 (or maybe 5x7? I didn't have a ruler with me. Lens was labeled BAUSCH AND LOMB 8x5), not an 8x10. The (port? socket?) where the shutter release cable attaches to the lens board is smashed to gently caress and unusable. Definitely some sort of cocoon or egg case inside. Additionally, I read the price tag wrong and it's $55, not $35. I didn't pick it up since my two year old roaming around the antique store while I googled lens board / shutter release repair would not have been an ideal situation. Might still go back and grab it if y'all still think it's worthwhile.

I wouldn't worry about paying for shutter repair since I am pretty sure that lens is not in a shutter.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

voodoorootbeer posted:

Definitely some sort of cocoon or egg case inside.

Yes. Buy this immediately. Then start a thread about all of the spiders.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

"Yes, officers, there's a man here pointing a very strange looking camera at the ATM machine in the corner...."

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Thinking about pulling the trigger on an SQ even though I've been holding out for a Pentax 67 (which is a bit out of my price range anyway), pretty good deal if prices on KEH are any indication. Going to take a look at the camera tomorrow, what should I watch out for?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Geektox posted:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an SQ even though I've been holding out for a Pentax 67 (which is a bit out of my price range anyway), pretty good deal if prices on KEH are any indication. Going to take a look at the camera tomorrow, what should I watch out for?

I bought an SQ-A a few months ago and this is what I looked out for:
Check if it comes with a darkslide for the film back, these are really handy.
Also it needs a battery to shoot at shutter speeds other than 1/500s, I wasted a whole roll before I figured this out.
Really just make sure you check the mirror lock-up, the SQ is really just a big ol' box without much going on.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Untitled by spikemccue, on Flickr

andi by spikemccue, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Nearly done making the 8x10, I managed to finish the lens board and the tongues used to hold the lens on this afternoon. Llus I received the knobs I ordered which make the camera easier to use and little less DIY. The photos are of the camera at full extension, 62cm/24in:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Picked up a Hacoflex TLR alongside a bunch of other camera stuff, and it turned out to be defective/sticky. i failed to find any repair guides, but taking it apart was easy enough and i've since fixed all the issues, although the flash/PC SYNC or whatever it's called fell out. something had managed to bend a part of the shutter, making it stick when fired. It now runs smooth as all get out. Had some issues putting it back together, owing to a lack of a lens spanner (which i really need to pick up). Have a picture of the shutter assembly and see if you can spot the bent bit:

meanwhile i'll be loading an expired roll of t-max into it and see how many light leaks it's got.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Niiiice. I like the first one.

So I got my Bronica SQ and seems everything works as it should, came with the 135mm PS lens, 2 backs and a WLF for $250 CDN, so really good deal, I think?

The guy also threw in 5 rolls of expired Provia 160. I figure I might as well use them to test the camera. Do I have to do anything weird exposure/development wise for expired film?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Geektox posted:

So I got my Bronica SQ and seems everything works as it should, came with the 135mm PS lens, 2 backs and a WLF for $250 CDN, so really good deal, I think?

The guy also threw in 5 rolls of expired Provia 160. I figure I might as well use them to test the camera. Do I have to do anything weird exposure/development wise for expired film?

Thats a pretty good deal for a Bronica SQ, if you like shooting wide the 50mm is good value, there is a 40mm but its a bit pricey.

As for the expired film, unless its been stored in a warm/hot place or 5+ years old I wouldn't worry about compensating too much, maybe 1/2 a stop, so shoot at 100 I guess.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Geektox posted:

Provia 100 or Portra 160? I'm pretty sure there's not a Provia 160. Either way, 1/2 stop extra exposure should be fine.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Am I correct in assuming all you need to do in order to shoot 220 on the Pentax 6x7 is flick that little switch on the side? I'm abroad right now and accidentally bought a ton of Portra 400 in 220 without realizing till I got here.

Is there any downside to it vs. 120? If not I might make a permanent switch. Twice the pictures yo! You even get 21 shots per roll on the 6x7 from what I've heard. I've got the OG 6x7 btw

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Am I correct in assuming all you need to do in order to shoot 220 on the Pentax 6x7 is flick that little switch on the side? I'm abroad right now and accidentally bought a ton of Portra 400 in 220 without realizing till I got here.

Is there any downside to it vs. 120? If not I might make a permanent switch. Twice the pictures yo! You even get 21 shots per roll on the 6x7 from what I've heard. I've got the OG 6x7 btw

In addition to changing the film type knob, you need to slide the pressure plate to the right so that the little window on the back shows "220." There are helpful arrows at the bottom of the pressure plate.

There's not really a downside to 220, but it's usually more than twice as expensive as 2 rolls of 120 for a given film. If I was in a situation where I knew I wouldn't be able to reload often, I'd buy a 220 back, but I'm not usually under that sort of pressure. From what I've read, it can also be more sensitive to light during loading and storage, so you need to be careful about keeping it out of harsh light when it's not in a camera.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 25, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The main downside is that it's now significantly more than twice the price per roll for only twice the exposures. It used to be exactly twice the price :sigh:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You get 21 shots if you're on a 67ii, sorry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Another downside is ease of purchase. I don't think any of the camera shops where I live sell 220 anymore.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Another downside is ease of purchase. I don't think any of the camera shops where I live sell 220 anymore.

Apart from a few specific film stocks that are popular with wedding shooters and studio pros, I actually don't think anyone even makes it anymore. Everything I've run into recently is cold-stored from the 2000s.

I know TXP 320 used to be one of the ones still available in 220, and I think Kodak and Fuji each sold a Portra 160-type color stock in 220, but both manufacturers have really trimmed their lines down at this point. It's entirely possible that even the wedding-shooter type film stocks are gone at this point.

Snapping up a bunch of Konica Color Professional 160 in 220 for $1 a roll is looking like a better and better decision all the time :smug:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 25, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apart from a few specific film stocks that are popular with wedding shooters and studio pros, I actually don't think anyone even makes it anymore. Everything I've run into recently is cold-stored from the 2000s.

I know TXP 320 used to be one of the ones still available in 220, and I think Kodak and Fuji each sold a Portra 160-type color stock in 220, but both manufacturers have really trimmed their lines down at this point. It's entirely possible that even the wedding-shooter type film stocks are gone at this point.

Snapping up a bunch of Konica Color Professional 160 in 220 for $1 a roll is looking like a better and better decision all the time :smug:

At this point it's Portra 160 and 400. That's it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've been buying expired or nearly expired Portra 400 in 220 from a local shop for pretty cheap. It's pretty nice to get more than 8 shots out of a roll if you're working with 6x9. I don't think I'd jump at paying full price for 220 unless I was packing for a trip and wanted to save space.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 26, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Went to Santa Monica for the weekend, need to send the E-6 off, but I did the one roll of b/w I shot and I still love Acros.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

My new toy just arrived and now I've joined the Chamonix Club!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Welcome. :respek:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Acros is pretty neat. I shot some up at Baw Baw on the weekend with the trusty GW690ii

Baw Baw by mr_student, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

alkanphel posted:

I'd love to own a Pocket Gowland for the weight, but the Chamonix cameras are just loving gorgeous.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd love to own a Pocket Gowland for the weight, but the Chamonix cameras are just loving gorgeous.

The Chamonix is 8 ounces heavier. I guess that's 20% more, but still...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yet again I forgot to switch off the Multiple Exposure lever on my SQ-A. Wasted about 4 good shots :smithicide:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Chamonix is really surprisingly light! Without the lens, it's lighter than my Hasselblad, and with the lens just a bit heavier only. And the quality in construction is quite something too, not to mention the looks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spedman posted:

Acros is pretty neat. I shot some up at Baw Baw on the weekend with the trusty GW690ii

This is sweet.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
One nice thing about the wista i was using for 4x5 is that there was enough space to keep a small lens attached while the camera was closed, which cut down significantly on setup time. is there enough space for this with the chamonix?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Genderfluid posted:

One nice thing about the wista i was using for 4x5 is that there was enough space to keep a small lens attached while the camera was closed, which cut down significantly on setup time. is there enough space for this with the chamonix?

Unfortunately not, the front standard is placed flush to the bottom when packing up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know if you can use SQ format lenses with a Bronica S2? My friend claims you can take off the mount that's on it and use them but I think he's wrong.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does anyone know if you can use SQ format lenses with a Bronica S2? My friend claims you can take off the mount that's on it and use them but I think he's wrong.

Looking at pictures of the s2 lenses, they have a twin bayonet mount, whereas the PS lenses have a 4 point claw. COuld you swap them over? I dunno. Seems like a lot of hassle.

Also, S2 is a focal plane shutter, SQ lenses have leaf shutters in them. Not the end of the world.

*edit* the internet informs me that you can get a mount adapter

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 29, 2014

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
finally scanning a bunch from some travel

Patient Dog, Berlin
by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Hauptbahnhof, Berlin
by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 3, 2014

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to buy a Crown Graphic or Speed Graphic on my trip to the US in late June/early July. I'll be in San Francisco and New York City - are there any shops in particular that are worth looking at, or should I buy something online and have it shipped to a friend over there? Shipping to Hong Kong directly is expensive and Graphics are really rare over here.

Better yet, is anyone here selling?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

breathstealer posted:

I'm looking to buy a Crown Graphic or Speed Graphic on my trip to the US in late June/early July. I'll be in San Francisco and New York City - are there any shops in particular that are worth looking at, or should I buy something online and have it shipped to a friend over there? Shipping to Hong Kong directly is expensive and Graphics are really rare over here.

Better yet, is anyone here selling?

Looks like Adorama has some in stock. If you had it shipped to you in SF, shipping would be free, and I don't think you'd get hit with sales tax either. I don't know what their used dept is like, so if you called you could see if you could pick it up in person when you're in NYC, as they're a NY-based store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Crawford Centre, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

• Locked thread