Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Called "Pwnmeal" because it's making fun of nerds, to be fair.

If they really wanted to make fun of nerds, they could have tried a little harder. Or even at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm still a little unclear on what PAX is, apparently it's arguing about oatmeal and rape.

My roommate's there right now, I should ask if thus reflects his experience.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's a video game convention actually. Yeah I was as surprised as you were.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tonight Neil deGrasse Tyson was talking about an asteroid hitting the Pacific Ocean in 2036 not too far off the coast of California which would cause multiple consecutive typhoons that would wipe out the entire West Coast of the US. He said they've got a solution worked up already but funding hasn't even started, that the government is going to worry about that in the future. :eng101:

Does it involve a team of oil drillers?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My secret sin is going to anime conventions, though that's less for the anime and more for the actor panels and people-watching. Last otakon I wrote a short essay about capitalism inspired by the dealer's room crush, but then I lost my pocket notebook and all my notes. Its pretty fun actually if you have some people to hang out with and can appreciate a well made costume.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've never been to a con in my life. I really hate crowds and frankly, I don't see much point in paying to get ads shoved in my face for a weekend. I just don't see the appeal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surprisingly I've never been to a comic con.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I've never been to a con in my life. I really hate crowds and frankly, I don't see much point in paying to get ads shoved in my face for a weekend. I just don't see the appeal.

Comic cons can be fun if you're into comics. I'm not really interested in meeting celebrities or seeing movie trailers or that poo poo, but you can meet some neat artists and find some great comics for dirt cheap. The last Boston Comic Con was real fun, I might go again this year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jay Dub posted:

No joke, this is why I spent most of my time wandering the indie developer booths. I met a few of the Pinball Arcade guys from Farsight, and one of them said he spent the better part of a year trying to convince the team to do WhoDunnit? (IMO the best pinball machine.) Why they wasted season 2 on crap like Goin' Nuts and Class of 1812 when they had WhoDunnit? just sitting around, I will never know.

I'd like to go to PAX just because there's other game things that I enjoy that go to PAX, like WotC does a big Magic panel every year and Privateer Press sets up a booth and there's a Fantasy Flight Games both with LCG tourneys and poo poo, but ugh going to PAX.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Comic cons can be fun if you're into comics. I'm not really interested in meeting celebrities or seeing movie trailers or that poo poo, but you can meet some neat artists and find some great comics for dirt cheap. The last Boston Comic Con was real fun, I might go again this year.

I loving hate comics.

I would like to meet Steranko though, just so I can be sure he exists.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Don't get me wrong Whodunnit is a good table but it doesn't feature an unending stream of Universal Monsters based groan worthy puns. Puns alone put Monster Bash in it's own tier.

There are a couple more tables with that gimmick from later packs. ( at least 1 right?)

Do they have Pin Bot? I like Pin Bot. Brings me back to my childhood like nothing else except reading Calvin and Hobbes anthologies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BH6lIaAses

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sprecherscrow posted:

Do they have Pin Bot? I like Pin Bot. Brings me back to my childhood like nothing else except reading Calvin and Hobbes anthologies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BH6lIaAses

They have pinbot and it's sequel where you use pinballs to metaphorically have sex with a sexy female pinbot!

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

FishBulb posted:

They have pinbot and it's sequel where you use pinballs to metaphorically have sex with a sexy female pinbot!

Sex metaphor in pinball sounds like a woefully under-explored concept.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I heard that they're stepping up their game a bit this year and having coolers guests. Eric Powell will be among them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's mocking nerds by appealing to nerds.

I mean, I guess, but the whole joke is about how dumb GAMER F00D is. Satire is always going to be misinterpreted by some portion of people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I heard that they're stepping up their game a bit this year and having coolers guests. Eric Powell will be among them.

The guest list this year is certainly stacked, but whether it's significantly better than last year is a matter of preference. Last year had Mike Mignola, Brian Azzarello, Carl Barks, Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, Neal Adams, Mark Bagley, Lee Weeks, Erica Henderson, etc.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FishBulb posted:

My cousin has (or had) a non-functioning Bride of Pinbot table in his garage somewhere. I always wanted to buy it off of him and fix it up, but that seems incredibly expensive.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

morestuff posted:

My cousin has (or had) a non-functioning Bride of Pinbot table in his garage somewhere. I always wanted to buy it off of him and fix it up, but that seems incredibly expensive.

I would also like to own a pinball table or 2 some day but yeah they are pricey. Fixing them up isn't so bad if you don't mind a minor amount of labor, most of the parts are cheap unless you're replacing specific things like the figures in Monster Bash. There was a guy around here selling a Robocop table on Craigslist for months but someone finally bought it off him before I manned up enough to make an offer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The guest list this year is certainly stacked, but whether it's significantly better than last year is a matter of preference. Last year had Mike Mignola, Brian Azzarello, Carl Barks, Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, Neal Adams, Mark Bagley, Lee Weeks, Erica Henderson, etc.

I'm just hyped about Eric Powell. I've been a huge Goon fan since I was in high school.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm just hyped about Eric Powell. I've been a huge Goon fan since I was in high school.

Yeah Powell's dope although I haven't read the Goon in many years.

Aragones is easily the guest I find most exciting this year, although I'm kinda over waiting in line to get poo poo signed by people.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
poo poo, Amanda Connor is gonna be there? Goddamnit. Why can't it be in April/May like it used to be :(

Literally The Worst posted:

I'd like to go to PAX just because there's other game things that I enjoy that go to PAX, like WotC does a big Magic panel every year and Privateer Press sets up a booth and there's a Fantasy Flight Games both with LCG tourneys and poo poo, but ugh going to PAX.

The Tabletop part of the expo hall is pretty dope. I was at the Steve Jackson Games booth a lot. If I played Magic, I would have waited in line for their booth because it looked cool as hell.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Sprecherscrow posted:

Sex metaphor in pinball sounds like a woefully under-explored concept.

Let me tell you about a little game called Big Bang Bar, where you shoot ramps to bring a sci-fi go-go dancer to orgasm. Unsurprisingly, they didn't make very many Big Bang Bar machines.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah Powell's dope although I haven't read the Goon in many years.

Aragones is easily the guest I find most exciting this year, although I'm kinda over waiting in line to get poo poo signed by people.

I've never actually done that whole thing before, but I'd really like to meet Powell.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

poo poo, Amanda Connor is gonna be there? Goddamnit. Why can't it be in April/May like it used to be :(

Last year when they held it in August they discovered that putting the convention in the summer will bring more people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually done that whole thing before, but I'd really like to meet Powell.

Most of the people I met last year were kinda quiet and awkward, except for Carl Barks who shot the poo poo with us for a good long while and Lee Weeks who is straight up one of the nicest people I've ever met. I didn't get to meet Hill and Rodriguez cuz their line was way too long for me to wait in but my friend did and said that both of them were super rad people (which corresponds to basically everything I've heard about Joe Hill, dude seems like a genuinely awesome person).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Carl Barks seems like a chill guy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Carl Barks seems like a chill guy.

Y'know I actually got my Scrooge McDuck names mixed up, it was Don Rosa, the dude behind The Life And Times of Scrooge McDuck that I met. Turns out Carl Barks has, uh, been dead for 15 years.

But yeah, Rosa was chill as hell. Speaks very candidly about his relationship with Disney.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Jay Dub posted:

Let me tell you about a little game called Big Bang Bar, where you shoot ramps to bring a sci-fi go-go dancer to orgasm. Unsurprisingly, they didn't make very many Big Bang Bar machines.

I would play it, but only if Love To Love You Baby is playing on loop.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Last year when they held it in August they discovered that putting the convention in the summer will bring more people.

Yeah, I get it. I just won't be in Boston any more come summer. :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Y'know I actually got my Scrooge McDuck names mixed up, it was Don Rosa, the dude behind The Life And Times of Scrooge McDuck that I met. Turns out Carl Barks has, uh, been dead for 15 years.

But yeah, Rosa was chill as hell. Speaks very candidly about his relationship with Disney.

:thejoke:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Make your jokes less subtle; employ fart noises more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Make your jokes less subtle; employ fart noises more.

Knock knock
whos there
uncle boogeyman
uncle boogeyman who?
*farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha oh my god, there is now a True Detective / Family Circus mashup Tumblr.

http://timeisaflatcircus.tumblr.com

:allears:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
After reading the past few pages, I have the urge to give most of you swirlies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

wyoming posted:

After reading the past few pages, I have the urge to give most of you swirlies.

I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha oh my god, there is now a True Detective / Family Circus mashup Tumblr.

http://timeisaflatcircus.tumblr.com

:allears:

Your enthusiasm for dumb poo poo is somewhat endearing.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 15, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Pinball dude. It rules. The multiball music from NES Pinbot is on my workout playlist.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
So there's a film festival in KC this weekend.

Trying to decide if I should swing for the pass. I'm going to be busy most of Saturday evening at the Sporting KC game and probably also most of Sunday (for...Easter. Yeah, Easter. Let's go with that.), but it might still be worth the $30 to catch a few of these. Anything I should see, other than Enemy (which is opening here this weekend in at least one other theater anyway)?

dreadnought fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 15, 2014

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I believe that's the one that our old buddy Vaughn Fry is on the board for. In which case, they apparently stop judging the films after watching them for five minutes if they're bored.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Vargo posted:

I believe that's the one that our old buddy Vaughn Fry is on the board for. In which case, they apparently stop judging the films after watching them for five minutes if they're bored.

Oh yeah, I forgot he existed. What is he up to these days? Still the world's toughest film critic?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Vargo posted:

He's in Wichita. Kansas City isn't Wichita.

This one is put on mostly as part of a music fest, I don't think he has anything to do with it

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
He seems to be doing this 'failure at life' schtick now that's aimed at being self-deprecating but is just really, really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
His latest upload to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAJXQ5Ul7g

"Maybe many of you know - maybe three of you - that I have been sitting on a book deal for a number of years."

• Locked thread