Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
It ought to let let you search by album label. For example, type in Slumberland Records, then a list of all the albums released on Slumberland available for streaming. I never heard of spotify until now, but it's a pretty good selection. They even have some obscure Ralph Records releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Am I missing something, or did the latest update remove the ability to see all of an artist's songs in a list? Now I only see album titles, and I can play each album, but there's no option to, say, shuffle all their songs or anything.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

crikster posted:

It ought to let let you search by album label. For example, type in Slumberland Records, then a list of all the albums released on Slumberland available for streaming. I never heard of spotify until now, but it's a pretty good selection. They even have some obscure Ralph Records releases.

Try searching "label:"slumberland"".

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Wow, apparently there is a 10,000 song limit for this "Your Music" bullshit. What the gently caress is the point of that? The old starred list could be infinitely large and worked EXACTLY THE SAME WAY! Why call it Your Music if I can't save all of "My Music" to it. I am only halfway through what I had starred right now because of how time consuming they made the process of transferring this stuff to the new thing. I would just continue using starring to track my stuff, but they made it such a pain in the rear end to get to now.

Ugh... spotify.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

thetedster posted:

Try searching "label:"slumberland"".

Whoa.

No more checking label websites like a shmuck.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

inSTAALed posted:

Wow, apparently there is a 10,000 song limit for this "Your Music" bullshit. What the gently caress is the point of that? The old starred list could be infinitely large and worked EXACTLY THE SAME WAY! Why call it Your Music if I can't save all of "My Music" to it. I am only halfway through what I had starred right now because of how time consuming they made the process of transferring this stuff to the new thing. I would just continue using starring to track my stuff, but they made it such a pain in the rear end to get to now.

Ugh... spotify.

I knew something was up. God dammit. I thought stuff was just getting deleted in some bug. I have 29k on my starred list. :arghfist:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Honestly what the gently caress were they thinking with this new update.

I haven't been pissed until now. For some stupid reason they removed the ability to shift-click multiple songs from the 'Top Songs' section of an artist page. I use that so often to grab poo poo into a playlist if I'm interested in checking out a band. Now you can't do that, and you can't even loving drag a single item from that list into a playlist.

Seriously what the gently caress why would they do this?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

me your dad posted:

Seriously what the gently caress why would they do this?

:spotifail:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I am just going to ignore the Your Music stuff until they lift that limit. Starred stuff works how it did before (sort of), even if it isn't as easy as it was before Maybe they will make it worth using in the future (three years from now).

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

thathonkey posted:

Yep the new iOS is a train-wreck all around on my iphone 5.

same. it's a loving nightmare when I put my 300 track starred playlist on random and want to skip a track when at the gym.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Spotify just rickrolled me :psyduck:

http://imgur.com/wJaWqFN

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Everbody, we're actively monitoring your feedback.

A couple of things to note:

1. Like I mentioned, offline support for Your Music is coming on both desktop as wells of all songs on mobile.

2. We will also expose the ability to take control of the Songs and Albums tabs in Your Music by filtering Albums saves. You will be able keep albums and songs separate if you want to which will allow you to migrate Starred usage completely.

3. We're taken in your feedback that the it's annoying to have to hover on songs to see whether you've saved them or not. This will be addressed and you will instead always have static icons. Fix coming very soon.

4. We've also listened to your feedback on contrast issues with going from "gold stars" to black/white icons.

Regarding, Starred, you do have to understand that this feature was not used by everbody, only a small minority. Many many users have asked for the ability to build a music collection without having to deal with playlists.

We totally understand the need to be able to separate "saved" music from "favorite" music and will work to make things even better.

We know you love Spotify but keep in mind that we want to make the best music service for all our users, not optimize it for a select few.

quote:

Spotify dev has said:

"The limit of 10000 will probably not be raised, we're looking into separating album saves they don't count as songs. You will be alble to collect more albums without reaching this limit and also be able to filter out full albums on the Albums tab and hide full albums on the Songs tab to feel more in control."

:psyboom:

Dealbreaker. I need to find a new option then. Google Music?

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 15, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Really disappointed that they didn't mention the lag in the iOS version at all.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Am I crazy or has the iPad app not been updated?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

PaganGoatPants posted:

:psyboom:

Dealbreaker. I need to find a new option then. Google Music?

What the poo poo?

I don't understand why people would be saving all these albums if they weren't planning on having them show up in the songs list? This whole feature is completely perplexing.

I'm trying to figure out how people used spotify without starring things. Were most people seriously making individual playlists for every album they wanted to listen to or something?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

inSTAALed posted:

Were most people seriously making individual playlists for every album they wanted to listen to or something?

I've actually seen a bunch of people doing this yeah, never really got why

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

I've actually seen a bunch of people doing this yeah, never really got why

I guess I'm that guy. I can be a completionist with albums I like, so I want them "saved" with filler tracks. At the same time, I absolutely don't want those filler tracks in my "starred" or "song" collection - they're part of the album, but don't stand alone.

Separating the album and song "collections" is perfect for me, because not every song on a great album is a great song. I still use iTunes and smart playlists for much this same reason, though, so I may not be your test case.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 15, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

inSTAALed posted:

What the poo poo?

I don't understand why people would be saving all these albums if they weren't planning on having them show up in the songs list? This whole feature is completely perplexing.

I'm trying to figure out how people used spotify without starring things. Were most people seriously making individual playlists for every album they wanted to listen to or something?

Oh yes, nobody used this EXTREMELY PROMINENT UI FEATURE.

Someone please make :spotifail:, we need it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't understand why collections, "starred" or "saved" music is such a big deal, so count me in that number.

I have a number of playlists dedicated to certain artists or genres. If I want to listen to a specific album I just... search for it.

It's not like I'm ever just shuffling through ALL of the music I listen to, that would be really jarring to jump from like a KISS song to Miles Davis.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't understand why collections, "starred" or "saved" music is such a big deal, so count me in that number.

I have a number of playlists dedicated to certain artists or genres. If I want to listen to a specific album I just... search for it.

It's not like I'm ever just shuffling through ALL of the music I listen to, that would be really jarring to jump from like a KISS song to Miles Davis.

My only problem is the limit they put on it. Oh and also the difficulty/time it takes to populate "My Music." Really weird and buggy for me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
While I hate the new look, I don't really care about starred tracks and collections. Am I the only one who just goes directly to artist pages?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

Some people don't always listen to all of an album and actually like jumping around. Searching isn't practical while driving. Having a list of favorite tracks is useful. Having this be one click and immediately visually obvious is nicer than having to drag and right-click to a playlist you can't see.

"I don't use it or see a use for it so it can't possibly matter" is a recipe for terrible UI design.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

While I hate the new look, I don't really care about starred tracks and collections. Am I the only one who just goes directly to artist pages?

Sure, if I've never heard the artist before. But then I add the songs I like to a playlist because searching for the artist every time is silly.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I do actually do just that so it's not like nobody does. I don't find going from one genre to another to be jarring.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

HorseRenoir posted:

Ha! I almost never play from an artist page. The idea of shuffling an artist's entire catalog makes no sense to me - I'd rather play an album, or throw the "hits" into a playlist with all the other "hits." Guess everyone's a little different.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess I'm that guy. I can be a completionist with albums I like, so I want them "saved" with filler tracks.

You mean saved for offline listening or just "saved" as a playlist? If the latter why not just go to the album page directly instead of making a new playlist that does the same thing?

Personally I only use playlists for compiling a bunch of music around a specific theme - otherwise I just go directly to album or artist pages if I want to listen to something specific. I pretty much only use starring for tracks I like from artists I'm not familiar with that I find through apps like Hype Machine and Pitchfork, as a note to myself to go check out their other poo poo.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think the moral of this thread is that we all enjoy Spotify in different ways.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Quandary posted:

I think the moral of this thread is that we all enjoy Spotify in different ways.

I think the current moral is that a lot of us are enjoying it a lot less thanks to the recent update :mad:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Earwicker posted:

I think the current moral is that a lot of us are enjoying it a lot less thanks to the recent update :mad:
Yeah, I mean I haven't been affected much by their interface changes, but it's obvious that Spotify has repeatedly disrupted their users' experience with little to no usability benefit. Like we'd see griping about changes no matter what, but Spotify really seems to go the extra mile in not actually providing what their customers want.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I really do wonder what their developer culture is like.

I'm guessing it involves lots of drinking and crying. Reviews on Glassdoor are good though, so maybe they're all just delusional.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

scroogle nmaps posted:

I'm guessing it involves lots of drinking and crying. Reviews on Glassdoor are good though, so maybe they're all just delusional.

What's strange is that several of their developers frequent /r/Spotify and comment, so they are well aware of things.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Earwicker posted:

You mean saved for offline listening or just "saved" as a playlist? If the latter why not just go to the album page directly instead of making a new playlist that does the same thing?

Personally I only use playlists for compiling a bunch of music around a specific theme - otherwise I just go directly to album or artist pages if I want to listen to something specific. I pretty much only use starring for tracks I like from artists I'm not familiar with that I find through apps like Hype Machine and Pitchfork, as a

Not to keep this going unnecessarily, I like to have the option to browse through my albums since I often stumble across an album that I'm in the mood for but wasn't actually looking for. For me albums are the entire purpose of collections - any individual song I like would just go into a playlist.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

scroogle nmaps posted:

I am not sure in what way you mention this, but in this kind of big companies it's not the developer's job to decide what a feature will look like or what kind of customer will cater to.

(performance issues are definitely the developer's job, though)

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

They haven't bothered to fix the Activity Feed on top of all the recent bullshit...it used to at least show what my friends are listening to which was pretty cool, but now it's just showing what some artists I didn't even know I was following are listening to. Or would if it wasn't completely dead and pointless to begin with.

Like I still love Spotify a lot for what it has to offer and gladly pay 5€ a month for a shitton of music but the program itself is so broken and full of dumb ideas

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

quote:

Regarding, Starred, you do have to understand that this feature was not used by everbody, only a small minority. Many many users have asked for the ability to build a music collection without having to deal with playlists.

This smacks of the same philosophy that iTunes 11 operated with iTunes DJ. Only a minority used it so we removed it, even if it completely broke the whole point of iTunes for those users.

I must admit though, I'm the kind of person who prefers managing music via collections instead of playlists, and it's why I found Spotify so difficult to manage and operate (gently caress putting an album into its own playlist and gumming up the actual playlist function) but I'd never think that they'd REPLACE their whacky design philosophy with a method that's been around for decades.

They couldn't do both?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
The starred playlist is basically just a collection of music if you star full albums. It works the same way I always used iTunes. Playlists were just what I used to put specific stuff on my phone, basically.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Am I the only one really happy with the update? Finally I can collect albums I like in a way similar to iTunes. Previously I starred albums, but that was a mess especially on iOS and I have a separate playlist for songs I really enjoy at the moment (which seems to be how most of you used the Star function).

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Eight Is Legend posted:

Am I the only one really happy with the update? Finally I can collect albums I like in a way similar to iTunes. Previously I starred albums, but that was a mess especially on iOS and I have a separate playlist for songs I really enjoy at the moment (which seems to be how most of you used the Star function).

Me too, I actually thought that's what the star was for. A quick way to list a song that's in your head at the moment, to be unstarred when it's played out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So was this a forced update? I'm using the Linux version and mine hasn't been updated. Sounds like that's a good thing.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

caiman posted:

So was this a forced update? I'm using the Linux version and mine hasn't been updated. Sounds like that's a good thing.

It will be eventually most likely. I applied for the beta and got it on all devices/platforms at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is anybody else running into an issue post-update where hardly any of the art will actually load? it's odd because I can play songs and the cover art in the bottom left usually loads but in the main pane for discover or artist views none of the art loads. Really annoying and makes it almost unusable.

• Locked thread