Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Tsaedje posted:

Is Magnussen even old enough to shave?

..A few tenths off Button, am i rite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would not be opposed to anti-lock braking, either.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Sulman posted:

Active suspension for 2017?

Please please please

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113465

Vettel is pleased.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Sulman posted:

..A few tenths off Button, am i rite

Still won't catch up :smuggo:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gently caress off red bull

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

He's not gonna run a Ford and run Chevrolet in NASCAR, and Stewart is a Chevy lifer so that's not gonna change.

Ferrari makes the most sense because it's kinda connected to Dodge now and neither are in NASCAR.

Put Kurt and Kyle in, at least for the first year or so :getin:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
No joke I think Kyle could be a decent, even good, F1 driver with some practice.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Gozinbulx posted:

No joke I think Kyle could be a decent, even good, F1 driver with some practice.

Too old, too tall, too heavy.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

^^^ That

and has Kyle ever even driven an open wheel car?

e: and if Haas insists on an American (which he will) it's gonna be Rossi

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

He's not gonna run a Ford and run Chevrolet in NASCAR, and Stewart is a Chevy lifer so that's not gonna change.

Jackie Stewart is associated with Chevrolet? Has Jackie Stewart even heard of Chevrolet? Vauxhall maybe.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Whitey Ford posted:

Jackie Stewart is associated with Chevrolet? Has Jackie Stewart even heard of Chevrolet? Vauxhall maybe.

I think he was talking about Tony Stewart. Gene Haas' partner in NASCAR

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Aqualung posted:

Ongoing operating losses, 2 restatements of financial statements within the past 2 years of being public - cool, how do I loan them money? Looking to loan as much as possible and be 100% unsecured.

If you give it all to me I'll make sure they get it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

haas' plan to use dallara in year one is obvious if he has any intention of making the grid in 2015 but it concerns me that he says things like "we plan to be a constructor in the long term" as if there was any possibility of him never building his own car

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

poopzilla posted:

^^^ That

and has Kyle ever even driven an open wheel car?

e: and if Haas insists on an American (which he will) it's gonna be Rossi

I hope it's Danica, just so we can finally not see her any more over here.

Rossi is a wanker.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol you are still bitter because Rossi said "i dont really follow indycar because the split killed my interest in the series", get over it

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Dudley posted:

Too old, too tall, too heavy.

Too tall I'll give you, but he's 28 and could probably slim down considerably. If there's anyone in the states that could get it done, he's gotta be among the names discussed

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Lol you are still bitter because Rossi said "i dont really follow indycar because the split killed my interest in the series", get over it

He's still a wanker regardless.

Conor Daly is cooler peeps.

Cheer on him to get that seat.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Rossi is a wanker.

I work with a guy who has been karting since he was a kid (he still is, early 20’s) and has won a poo poo load of races all around the west coast, he raced with Rossi and knew him pretty well. He said Rossi was always slow as poo poo and him and his buddies beat the crap out of him anytime they raced together. But Rossi would just go on and on about how he was gonna be in F1 one day and they were all “heh, ok.” But Rossi’s parents are fuckin loaded and sent him over to Europe and welp :shrug:

So agreed. But I still want an American back in F1

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Too tall I'll give you, but he's 28 and could probably slim down considerably. If there's anyone in the states that could get it done, he's gotta be among the names discussed

I love the dude, I really do, but there's just no way. Skill set is too different for him to even be in the top ten of Americans able to do something with the seat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kyle Busch has literally zero relevant road course experience

this is not 1961, you can not just jump from tin tops into single seaters anymore, especially if said tin tops run on oval tracks and not road courses.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

poopzilla posted:

I work with a guy who has been karting since he was a kid (he still is, early 20’s) and has won a poo poo load of races all around the west coast, he raced with Rossi and knew him pretty well. He said Rossi was always slow as poo poo and him and his buddies beat the crap out of him anytime they raced together. But Rossi would just go on and on about how he was gonna be in F1 one day and they were all “heh, ok.” But Rossi’s parents are fuckin loaded and sent him over to Europe and welp :shrug:

So agreed. But I still want an American back in F1

Everyprofessionalracecardriverever.txt

See the dude I just quoted in my last post.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

6675636b20796f75 posted:

Everyprofessionalracecardriverever.txt

See the dude I just quoted in my last post.

huh? Rossi is in GP2 right now. You dont think he has a chance at F1 with an American team coming online in the next 1-2 years?

vv i guess i did. I thought your point was that Kyle Busch doesn't have road racing experience? idg how that applies to Rossi

poopzilla fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 15, 2014

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

poopzilla posted:

huh? Rossi is in GP2 right now. You dont think he has a chance at F1 with an American team coming online in the next 1-2 years?

e: err sorry, i guess he's just just driving for caterham now and not in GP2. So he actually is in F1

You missed the point I was talking literally about poster I quoted in reference to your anecdote.

I like Rossi and Daly and hope they get a race seat in F1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

To keep things in perspective.

The last time a NASCAR driver was legitimately approached about a F1 seat was around '96 or '97 when BAR offered him a seat.

They told him they'd allow for, but first he'd have to go run CART for a year with Team Green.

Gordon declined for a number of reasons, but I imagine the main one was because his salary in Cup, along with sponsor dollars was likely enough for him to say "no" at that point.

I imagine the risk for him was likely to big as well. I recall reading that several times as to why Stock Car drivers generally stay within their own series.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

FuzzySkinner posted:

To keep things in perspective.

The last time a NASCAR driver was legitimately approached about a F1 seat was around '96 or '97 when BAR offered him a seat.

They told him they'd allow for, but first he'd have to go run CART for a year with Team Green.

Gordon declined for a number of reasons, but I imagine the main one was because his salary in Cup, along with sponsor dollars was likely enough for him to say "no" at that point.

I imagine the risk for him was likely to big as well. I recall reading that several times as to why Stock Car drivers generally stay within their own series.

It's not just stock car racers though. Each individual type of racing is a skill set in and of it self and it's pretty hard to just jump around to completely different forms of racing. See Kimi in WRC.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

this is not 1961, you can not just jump from tin tops into single seaters anymore, especially if said tin tops run on oval tracks and not road courses.

That's a bit of an overstatement, or at least a simplification. If you've got some kind of background in single-seaters I don't think it's impossible to switch from a tin-top to a single-seater and back again over a career - di Resta spent four years in DTM before his stint in F1, and while he wasn't great he wasn't terrible either.

Of course this doesn't apply to the various NASCAR drivers being discussed who haven't spent any time in single seaters at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DTM is basically where single seater careers go to die, lol. I mean, yeah, a bunch of developmental drivers end up there, but I think it's telling that very few of them actually get a seat out of it. RIP Gary Paffett.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Ilanin posted:

That's a bit of an overstatement, or at least a simplification. If you've got some kind of background in single-seaters I don't think it's impossible to switch from a tin-top to a single-seater and back again over a career - di Resta spent four years in DTM before his stint in F1, and while he wasn't great he wasn't terrible either.

Of course this doesn't apply to the various NASCAR drivers being discussed who haven't spent any time in single seaters at all.

True, but DTM cars are described as F1 cars with fenders quite often.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I know you Americans think your pretty swell and all, what being the worlds overlords, but us in Europe or especially the UK, gently caress it, the rest of the world think your loving idiots so the less Americans in my F1 the better.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I know you Americans think your pretty swell and all, what being the worlds overlords, but us in Europe or especially the UK, gently caress it, the rest of the world think your loving idiots so the less Americans in my F1 the better.

Is this ironic with the terrible grammar? You mean "you're", not "your" on two occasions. Seems like you're the loving idiot. :)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
americans are cool as hell

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

pik_d posted:

Is this ironic with the terrible grammar? You mean "you're", not "your" on two occasions. Seems like you're the loving idiot. :)

When the truth is confronted, the last resort is to nit pick at grammar and spelling to enforce ones superiority.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fine we'll go start our own racing series on the moon, which we own

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Jesus, it's like a "Worst thread" stereotype come to life.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its just banter

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

When the truth is confronted, the last resort is to nit pick at grammar and spelling to enforce ones superiority.

I think what you meant is "We invented the language, We can do as We like"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Not when you're calling people "loving idiots" it's not.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Wenn eines klar ist, dann ist es die Überlegenheit deutscher Ingenieurskunst. Uns wurde in den ersten drei Rennen eindrucksvoll dargeboten, dass dieses Jahr eindeutig Mercedes gehört!

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Well if F1 is the world’s pinnacle of motorsports, surely the country that’s in charge of the world should be involved. :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Riso posted:

Wenn eines klar ist, dann ist es die Überlegenheit deutscher Ingenieurskunst. Uns wurde in den ersten drei Rennen eindrucksvoll dargeboten, dass dieses Jahr eindeutig Mercedes gehört!

Germans even have dominated in American auto racing.

Earnhardt and the Unsers were both of German Ancestry. :smug:

(I'm of German ancestry too.).

• Locked thread