Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Bishop posted:

Goddamn, that's got to be the best snowballing glitch narrative I've heard since the Corrupted Blood Plague. Speaking of which, anyone happen to know of any other incidents of status effects or whatever getting out of hand and becoming virtual epidemics in online games or is the Corrupted Blood one really the only time that's ever happened?

The Sims had (or possibly still has, I don't really follow that game) a similar problem where modded objects could spread like viruses through the house-sharing service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Bishop posted:

Goddamn, that's got to be the best snowballing glitch narrative I've heard since the Corrupted Blood Plague. Speaking of which, anyone happen to know of any other incidents of status effects or whatever getting out of hand and becoming virtual epidemics in online games or is the Corrupted Blood one really the only time that's ever happened?

What was the Corrupted Blood Plague?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Here's a wikipedia link.

You could have probably found that out yourself in like 5 seconds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lizard Wizard posted:

World of Warcraft had a high-level boss who could hit players with a curse called Corrupted Blood that would deal a lot of damage for a few seconds and spread from person to person. If a pet got infected and dismissed, it would still be infected when called back later - perhaps in the middle of a city. Corrupted Blood was strong enough to kill low-level players instantly and completely disrupted the affected areas, leaving corpses lying all over the streets. Blizzard had a hard time controlling it because of players deliberately targeting unaffected areas with virtual biological terrorism. Eventually they had to temporarily shut down some servers in order to stop the plague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHNo-NZKxI

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Back when WoW was still new, one of the earlier patches added in a relatively short troll raid, Zul'gurub. The final boss, Hakkar, had an ability that would cause a fair bit of damage (to a maximum level character) over time ... And would spread to anyone they happened to stand near. One of the classes in WoW, the Hunter, uses beasts that fight at their side, and at the time, they would retain their exact status if they were dismissed and re-summoned later. These beasts could be infected.

Cue someone's pet (I forget if it was intentional or not) being dismissed right after it got infected, then being brought back in one of the game's major population centers. From there, it spread like wildfire, rapidly killing anyone who wasn't fully leveled. Blizzard managed to fix the debuff so that it couldn't exist outside of Zul'Gurub, but not before it'd blanketed the streets with corpses.

Blizzard then decided to intentionally replicate it in the lead-up for WoW's second expansion, and took it a step further: anyone who was infected and didn't get cured of it would die, and come back as a zombie that could hit anyone else with the plague.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Regalingualius posted:

Blizzard then decided to intentionally replicate it in the lead-up for WoW's second expansion, and took it a step further: anyone who was infected and didn't get cured of it would die, and come back as a zombie that could hit anyone else with the plague.

Zombies were also members of a fake third faction, so players on both sides could talk to each other while anyone else only heard gibberish (moaning, ellipsis, and "brains") and cooperate to dick people over.

Unfortunately people whined about it a lot because it got in the way of them playing virtual commodities broker at the auction houses and nothing nearly that cool has happened since. :(

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

The Wolf Among Us - glitch of the year contender.

It's even better with the dialogue.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

President Ark posted:

Unfortunately people whined about it a lot because it got in the way of them playing virtual commodities broker at the auction houses and nothing nearly that cool has happened since. :(

That's pretty much WoW.txt sadly, aside from EVE it seems like most MMO players really hate the idea of anything interesting happening in-game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Holy poo poo, I'm dying...

"...if you continue to act... like you normally do."

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

King Vidiot posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm dying...

"...if you continue to act... like you normally do."

"Take it easy."

*begins pole dancing*

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
This is something they should sell as DLC.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

This is just amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HenryEx posted:

Here's a wikipedia link.

Well yeah, but the Wikipedia link is like ten paragraphs too long. You see the other responses in this thread? Those are good, clean summaries. The Wikipedia article was written by people way too invested in an online game and they have a goddamn section about using it as a case study for the spread of virulent infections.

It's like you're looking for, "well long story short it was some guys who were fuckin' around and they realized you could infect NPCs who would keep infecting themselves because they're invincible and any players who encountered them would die horribly." Instead, you get, "In an analysis of the Corrupted Blood incident, Charles Blair, deputy director of the Center of Terrorism and Intelligence Studies, said that World of Warcraft could provide a powerful new way to study how terrorist cells form and operate.[citation needed]"

v C'mon dogg it's not like you wrote the article, no need to defend it. It, like almost everything else on Wikipedia, is straight TMI.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Apr 16, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Are you, like, committed to read an article in full once you catch glimpse of the first letter?
Not sure why anyone would ever even consider reading the very informative three-paragraph summation at the top of the article and then go and look at the contents with "History" and "Models for real-world research" and think I definitely need to read that, too.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

HenryEx posted:

Here's a wikipedia link.

There's a typo in you lmgtfy.com link.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HenryEx posted:

Are you, like, committed to read an article in full once you catch glimpse of the first letter?
Not sure why anyone would ever even consider reading the very informative three-paragraph summation at the top of the article and then go and look at the contents with "History" and "Models for real-world research" and think I definitely need to read that, too.

I'm TERRIBLY sorry for making people discuss game glitches in the game glitch thread.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HenryEx posted:

Man I don't know how anyone wouldn't go read the whole page after seeing that the Wikipedia page on a bug in WoW had a section about real-life applications for epidemic research.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hahaha holy poo poo when he starts up again after the other guy leaves.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

An important part of the Corrupted Blood thing was that there were lots of NPCs, who could easily survive the debuff, standing in infection range of each other in the capital cities. So it wasn't "and then everybody died and respawned and went on their merry way until somebody did it again", the city was ruined until the GMs came in to fix it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

"I must go now, my planet needs me."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

If there could ever be something summarized as GameGlitch.gif this would be it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Holy poo poo. The woman goes to answer the phone, cut back to the dude - he's standing there normally. He turns his head, as if noticing that the woman comes back...

...and he immediately returns to air-poledancing.

He has to maintain his reputation

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Probably a tie between this and Heavy Rain's 'Shaun' glitch for funniest game glitch ever.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
She looks like she's trying very hard to not pay attention.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Okay I know this is the wrong place to ask and I'm afraid of a derail but I played the first season of Walking Dead and thought it was a masterpiece (not tried the second season so gently caress off with spoilers). Is Wolf Among Us worth a shot or no?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tracula posted:

If there could ever be something summarized as GameGlitch.gif this would be it.

It's a mod for Telltale games, not a glitch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tracula posted:

Okay I know this is the wrong place to ask and I'm afraid of a derail but I played the first season of Walking Dead and thought it was a masterpiece (not tried the second season so gently caress off with spoilers). Is Wolf Among Us worth a shot or no?

It's pretty good if you're into that type of game. Go check it out.

Internet Friend posted:

It's a mod for Telltale games, not a glitch.

Are you serious? Thanks for ruining it.

Looks like Heavy Rain is still the undisputed #1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tracula posted:

I'm enjoying it a lot. And unlike The Walking Dead it actually just works without me having to jump through hoops.

Walking Dead season 1 wouldn't run without compatibility modes being turned on and loves to delete my save after a new episode came out.

Which I guess is my funniest game glitch. The face that they never made Walking Dead season 1 stop deleting saves after a new episode.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tracula posted:

I've heard it is. If you like the Walking Dead, you'll probably like that too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tracula posted:

I originally bought The Wolf Among Us to fill in time gaps between The Walking Dead. Now I use walking dead episodes to fill in time between Wolf Among Us eps. I enjoy it a lot.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My face is hurting from laughter

RagnarokAngel posted:

I originally bought The Wolf Among Us to fill in time gaps between The Walking Dead. Now I use walking dead episodes to fill in time between Wolf Among Us eps. I enjoy it a lot.

Same. I'm finding myself enjoying The Wolf Among Us more than The Walking Dead, and I really, really liked the first season.

The Wolf Among Us is awesome, get it. The comic is good too.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Walking Dead was fantastic, but you really have very little effect on the story overall. It's amazingly written anyway, especially played as a mime (lots of events you think you can fail actually go through, sometimes hilariously- do the S1 part 2 dinner while mute). By part 5 people start getting really frustrated with you :haw:

Wolf feels like you have more sway in how it plays out, but playing as a mute sucks since Bigby has dialog he's gonna say no matter what. That's something I'll miss, anyway.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
So it turns out that if you get enough buckets in Visceral Cleanup Detail you get some... Interesting events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kVj0e33lE

Glitches happen full speed at 1:45 mark.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I believe you've found the bucket singularity :science:

e: one more

Velocity Raptor has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Apr 17, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

I punched him so hard he just froze in that position. I took out the rest of the gang afterwards. It's like the second time I've been able to pull it off.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Action Tortoise posted:

I punched him so hard he just froze in that position. I took out the rest of the gang afterwards. It's like the second time I've been able to pull it off.

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!"

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

WirelessPillow posted:

So it turns out that if you get enough buckets in Visceral Cleanup Detail you get some... Interesting events.
Good old Sorcerer's Apprentice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Never, ever interrupt Bouncy Time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76B-UCFqpc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
So there is this browser game called Citizen Burger Disorder, very, VERY, much in alpha. Its about making burgers and serve them, and when you deliver them, you get a couple of green boxes aka money. However, this is what happens when the burger is never "eaten", and the customer never leaves... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxhAgdqYRTM