Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HGH posted:

Speaking of the wiki, after you mentioned there being comics I just had to look it up.

I don't know why but I can't stop laughing at the fact that this exists and how dumb it looks.
This looks exactly like the terrible early Buffy comics (the ones that ran when he show was still on). I wonder if that's the same company / artist. Not enough to actually check, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
SFDebris kicks off his public self-torture lessons with Kannazuki no Miko Episode 1.

It's not quite scraping the bottom of the barrel for schlock anime but no worries, we're only on episode one, it's sure to get much, much worse from here!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

This looks exactly like the terrible early Buffy comics (the ones that ran when he show was still on). I wonder if that's the same company / artist. Not enough to actually check, but still.

I believe the Buffy comics have always been published by Dark Horse, so it's not the same company.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

SFDebris kicks off his public self-torture lessons with Kannazuki no Miko Episode 1.

It's not quite scraping the bottom of the barrel for schlock anime but no worries, we're only on episode one, it's sure to get much, much worse from here!

Oh...Oh no. You guys said it was bad. I had no idea how bad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Christ, this is lovely. I kind of hoped there was a secret twist to it. but it really is a fan service and fighting series. Thebart is dull and the voice acting is generic. Also, I don't think I ever heard him that bored during a review.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I like his rating system.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/42983-top-11-good-things-in-the-star-wars-prequels

Wherein the Nostalgia Critic officially establishes himself as the anti-Plinkett.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

I like his rating system.

Yeah, that's weirdly the only part in the review where he seems to come alive, when he's talking about boobs. :stare:

The fact that his wife just left him too makes it all the creepier in hindsight.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah, but I did agree with a lot of the choices he made

He also recently did an Shut and Talk with Nostaglic Chick
http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/shut-up-and-talk-lindsay-ellis-6833264

Also for the helluv it here is the newest Happy Harry cartoon about Elder Scrolls Online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMRSRyYZtuk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I don't really think he's saying anything counter to what Red Letter Media did. He pretty much agrees with most of what they say and he's gone on record saying he won't review any of the prequels no matter how much people ask for them because he considers the Plinkett reviews to be the definitive statement on why the prequels were bad films so it's pointless for him to throw his hat in that ring.

The Shut Up & Talk segment is also very enlightening because you get to see how him and Lindsay diverged as critics over the years. Doug's more the comedian/entertainer critic while Lindsay's more the academic critic. I also love that she met Nella and Lisa on FanFiction.net of all places. :3:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't really think he's saying anything counter to what Red Letter Media did. He pretty much agrees with most of what they say and he's gone on record saying he won't review any of the prequels no matter how much people ask for them because he considers the Plinkett reviews to be the definitive statement on why the prequels were bad films so it's pointless for him to throw his hat in that ring.

The Shut Up & Talk segment is also very enlightening because you get to see how him and Lindsay diverged as critics over the years. Doug's more the comedian/entertainer critic while Lindsay's more the academic critic. I also love that she met Nella and Lisa on FanFiction.net of all places. :3:
I thought when she was talking about meeting them on Phantom fan fiction, I thought she meant The Phantom, not Phantom of the Opera.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

e X posted:

Christ, this is lovely. I kind of hoped there was a secret twist to it. but it really is a fan service and fighting series. Thebart is dull and the voice acting is generic. Also, I don't think I ever heard him that bored during a review.

I forgot how ugly that show was.

Now I remember. Like this art isn't even "generic" by anime standards, it's just BAD.

That poo poo is broooooooken. :saddowns:

EDIT: One of the upcoming series is called "Full Moon"?

You mean..."Full Moon o Sagashite"?

Yup, he really is being inundated with the weebiest stuff to ever weeb. That sucks. He's gonna get bored and burnt out real fast. Hopefully there's some interesting broad-appeal sci fi and fantasy mixed in there. The request I sent him still hasn't come up after all so idk.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 16, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm legit tempted to fire off a donation and request for anime now. I basically know about as much as your average internet denizen who owns a Bebop boxset, but even the well-known stuff I can think to suggest at least has some kind of justification, like I know there's some themes or something to think about, or it puts other stuff in context. I mean, jeez, I'm not sure if the equivalent would be Emanuelle In Space or bargain basement syndicated crap like Relic Hunter.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jay O posted:

You mean..."Full Moon o Sagashite"?

Yup, he really is being inundated with the weebiest stuff to ever weeb. That sucks. He's gonna get bored and burnt out real fast.

Wikipedia posted:

12-year-old orphan Mitsuki Kouyama is a talented singer who dreams of becoming a singer, but she is afflicted with sarcoma, which is curable only through a surgery that could ruin her vocal cords, and destroy her ability to sing. The tumor in her throat already affects her ability to breathe well and sing loudly. Her grandmother also hates music and is completely opposed to Mitsuki's wish to audition. Mitsuki’s dreams seem impossible to achieve, until one day she is visited by two shinigami, whom only she could see. The shinigami, Takuto and Meroko, inadvertently tip Mitsuki off that she has only one year left to live.
How is this not a Lifetime movie or something put out by the same people that made God Is Not Dead?

I really wan't to believe that this is someone's idea of a joke. At least he is getting some great lines out of it. "He pulls a sword out of the moon and become king of England" and "Nothing says True Love like groping your fresh corpse."

Maybe we should help him. QUICK! what's the worse Sci-Fi Stuff from Disney we can recommend to him. (Besides the obvious John Carter and Tron 2, which i haven't seen either)

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 16, 2014

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

BigRed0427 posted:

I really wan't to believe that this is someone's idea of a joke. At least he is getting some great lines out of it. "He pulls a sword out of the moon and become king of England" and "Nothing says True Love like groping your fresh corpse."

Maybe we should help him. QUICK! what's the worse Sci-Fi Stuff from Disney we can recommend to him. (Besides the obvious John Carter and Tron 2, which i haven't seen either)

Worse Sci-Fi stuff from Disney....
What was the tv-movie called with the girl who lived on a space-station in love with a guy in a rock band? I think they made a sequel where they teamed up and made first contact with aliens using like, the single song he had.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AriadneThread posted:

What was the tv-movie called with the girl who lived on a space-station in love with a guy in a rock band? I think they made a sequel where they teamed up and made first contact with aliens using like, the single song he had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTIcIzKjGjg

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nine-gear crow posted:

His fight entries are pretty much the opposite of what Red Letter Media said. But other than those two, his other entries aren't bad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

There was also the moonbase sequel and oh god why do I remember these dumb Disney movies, there was also like 6 Halloween Town movies. And the Even Steven's Movie, but at least that one was good. Also the Smart House movie with the house being played by Leela.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I really hope Previously Recorded becomes a series. It was nice seeing Jack and Rich discussing video games directly rather than just throwing in a side reference or two in the odd Half in the Bag or Best of the Worst.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
As someone said, if this is a troll or a joke on sfdebris it's super expensive one. I'm 99% certain it has to be weirdos who want the dude who gave a good review to some anime to review their favorite ones.

Christ, he has SIX more episodes of this? As funny and insightful as the guy is, there's literally nothing there to talk about. The first episode was just....generic anime bullshit. It's not even something absurdly bad, it's just generic trash.

Now that we know he's got ANOTHER garbage show coming up I really feel like the guy's gonna get burnt out. The boobs thing at the end was weird, but it felt like it was all he could really make a joke about.

Reading the description for the other show, like, there's barely even a sci-fi/fantasy connection. What on earth does he have to work with there. It's the equivalent of sending him a Lifetime movie to review except it's way longer than a movie and guaranteed to be creepy. Good job spending your money to make a dude who barely likes anime boredly review your favorite show I guess.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 16, 2014

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

nine-gear crow posted:

The fact that his wife just left him too makes it all the creepier in hindsight.

According to his Twitter, she's back and doing better.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

There was also the moonbase sequel and oh god why do I remember these dumb Disney movies, there was also like 6 Halloween Town movies. And the Even Steven's Movie, but at least that one was good. Also the Smart House movie with the house being played by Leela.

So much awful made for TV stuff yet I remember everything in detail. Ugh.

Actually, you could always send a request for The Black Hole. It's not as actiony as most sci-fi things but it's 70s as all get go. And probably one of the more risque things made back then. I recall the ending being censored where I live for some reason.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Looking back at those made for TV Disney movies is certainly something, but drat do I remember being hooked on them growing up.

Cant hate on Johnny Tsunami

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bad Wolf posted:

According to his Twitter, she's back and doing better.

Well that's good to hear. I hope everything works out well for them. Mental illness is a terrible monster to tangle with and I hope they get all the help they need going forward.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I watched that show back when it was a thing. I don't remember much about it specifically, beyond giant robots and more or less enjoying it. Watching his review of the first episode I don't remember it being so...blatantly exploitative. That doesn't mean a show like this still can't be enjoyable, if you accept the trashiness and go along for the ride. Godannar is an example that comes to mind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

How is this not a Lifetime movie or something put out by the same people that made God Is Not Dead?

Tron 2 rocked. It had Michael Sheen as Cyberspace David Bowie and Jeff Bridges as The Dude.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Deofuta posted:

Looking back at those made for TV Disney movies is certainly something, but drat do I remember being hooked on them growing up.

I was fond of Luck of the Irish, myself.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

cubs2084 posted:

Speaking of Luck of the Irish is the bad guy in that movie the same guy who played Detective Lassister on Psych?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

SgtSteel91 posted:

Speaking of Luck of the Irish is the bad guy in that movie the same guy who played Detective Lassister on Psych?

Yes. Yes, he is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Deofuta posted:

Oh yeah that was a cool one too I need a list to see all these movies to see if I can remember them

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/69/post/2014/04/demo-reel-bloopers.html

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

cubs2084 posted:

Thirteenth Year had Dave Coulier, everyone else loses.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Miss Wallace posted:

How about Don't Look Under the Bed? You know, back when Disney didn't care whether or not they scared the poo poo out of kids?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Miss Wallace posted:

Finding out that Alanis Morrissette's You Oughta Know was about him never ceases to amaze me.

"Really? Really?! Uncle Joey inspired this?! Dear god, woman - seek help!"

Then the lyrics conjure images that are as hilariously twisted as they are mind-scarringly :stonk: horrible until I am compelled to the station.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Nearly finished Lupa's charmed retrospective, and I'm only more and more glad I never watched Charmed. Also...if they gave Wyatt Leo's surname as his first name, does that mean that Wyatt's name is Wyatt Wyatt? That's just so evil guys, seriously. (I know it's probably Wyatt Halliwell, but that's still odd, why not just call him John Wyatt Halliwell or whatever?)
Interesting fact - the American trend of "surnames as first names" actually comes from people having names like John Anderson Bennett, because Anderson was their mother's maiden name, and then later in life they took "Anderson" as their nickname, hence people began to view "Anderson Bennet" as legit, instead of two surnames, because there was that dude going around calling himself Anderson Bennet, and lo, a trend was formed. Hooray! And that's why Paige is called Paige.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Beefstew posted:

How about Don't Look Under the Bed? You know, back when Disney didn't care whether or not they scared the poo poo out of kids?

Holy poo poo I loved Don't Look Under the Bed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I remember the 97 version of "That Darn Cat" airing around the same time as Luck of the Irish. I have fond memories of that one. I think I had a crush on Christina Ricci, but I mostly remember that a recurring joke in the film and a primary plot element was a pendant with the word "Hell" written on it, which I thought rather brusque for Disney faire.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

They made a movie called H E Double Hockey Sticks that was literally about a guy selling his soul to the devil to be a great hockey player. I believe there are several trips to Hell in that one.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 17, 2014

Kalvida
Jun 27, 2012

SFDebris' Episode 2 of Kannazuki no Miko

Why would someone request this?

The one who requested this posted:

Hope some of those charms show up sometime soon. Chuck doesn't sound too positive aside from Mako's extremely brief scene.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kazwell posted:

SFDebris' Episode 2 of Kannazuki no Miko

Why would someone request this?

Hope some of those charms show up sometime soon. Chuck doesn't sound too positive aside from Mako's extremely brief scene.

Spoiler they won't.

Like, I know the internet goes hyperbolic about anime sucking a lot but nah this one's straight up a garbage fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

They made a movie called H E Double Hockey Sticks that was literally about a guy selling his soul to the devil to be a great hockey player. I believe there are several trips to Hell in that one.

Hey, it has Carla! And Batman! And... Matthew Lawrence.

• Locked thread