Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

dreadnought posted:

So there's a film festival in KC this weekend.

Trying to decide if I should swing for the pass. I'm going to be busy most of Saturday evening at the Sporting KC game and probably also most of Sunday (for...Easter. Yeah, Easter. Let's go with that.), but it might still be worth the $30 to catch a few of these. Anything I should see, other than Enemy (which is opening here this weekend in at least one other theater anyway)?

I know this is really late and the thread has moved on (sorry - I can't read while
I'm teaching, so I catch up when I get home), but Why Don't You Play in Hell? is completely insane and loving awesome. It's like a blood-splattered Yakuza version of Cinema Paradiso mixed with American Movie. It owns and I hope tons of people see it.

I hated The Congress and thought Mood Indigo was a really creative mess that didn't work. So, take those for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

ClydeUmney posted:

I'm teaching, so I catch up when I get home), but Why Don't You Play in Hell? is completely insane and loving awesome. It's like a blood-splattered Yakuza version of Cinema Paradiso mixed with American Movie. It owns and I hope tons of people see it.

Oh is that the new Sion Sono? Sounds like a pee good watch.

Speaking of yakuza movies, has anyone seen Last Life in the Universe (2003, dir. Pen-Ek Ratanaruang)? I caught it recently and mostly dug it, but it made me realize that I've probably seen more deconstruction-y yakuza flicks than 'straight' ones, which I feel like I need to do something about.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Coneheads is not the deepest of movies intellectually, but I don't think it's possible for me to watch it and not grin the entire time.

In unrelated event, I hope that my tablet's charging cord broke, and not my tablet itself.

Edit: speeling is heard

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 16, 2014

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Coneheads is not the deepest movies intellectually

You don't say

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Superior Spider-Man 31 is the new worst comic book I've ever read. Holy balls.

Stop reading Dan Slott comic books.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

MisterBibs posted:

Coneheads is not the deepest of movies intellectually, but I don't think it's possible for me to watch it and not grin the entire time.

In unrelated event, I hope that my tablet's charging cord broke, and not my tablet itself.

Edit: speeling is heard

My girlfriend put this on netflix the other day. When Phil Hartman showed up I got really bummed out. While it's not really GOOD, it was still a lot better than I remembered it.

I got called a "yankee human being" at a bar in Texas once. I just laughed, said "Really?" and then hoped I wasn't about to get the poo poo beaten out of me. Luckily the dude (wearing cowboy boots and hat) just wanted to drunkenly yell a few more slurs at me and then walk away.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I imagine a southerner would get really upset if a british person ever called them a yank.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vincent posted:

Stop reading Dan Slott comic books.

I gotta be able to talk to people about things and be able to lie convincingly.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I imagine a southerner would get really upset if a british person ever called them a yank.

It'd be like that scene in In The Loop where Tucker tells Gandolfini never to call him English again, and Gandolfini just looks confused as poo poo as he walks away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGZinTeodc

DNS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 16, 2014

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

FishBulb posted:

Get it from Stroud's (KC crew knows what I'm talkin about )

Most of those chains are dire btw. Casey's? Yeah gas station pizza is awesome (gas station BBQ on the other hand). Pancheros isn't anything special, Pizza Ranch is garbage, Culver's is pretty boring.

Awwwww yeah, Stroud's does in fact own all of the bones. Best fried chicken in town, if you've got like an hour to wait to get it.

Pizza Ranch is one of those places that everyone should really go once in your life, just to believe it. The thing I didn't realize until I went there is that it's REALLY Christian. Like, the owners openly state that they opened these restaurants as a ministry to serve God and spread the word. Through an all-you-can-eat orgy of greasy chicken and stale pizza. There are tons of hidden crosses in the decor, and the only music they play is this Sirius station called "The Message." Every time I go there (there's one really close to me, and my dad really likes it, so we go there somewhat frequently), I'm tempted to write one of those totally bewildered, condescending "immersion pieces" about it.

Also, KC doesn't really have any great pizza places, and that's a little depressing. I mean, we have a lot of really good ones, but none that are like legendary status "you have to go here" kind of places. I always get a hearty chuckle anytime I hear about "St. Louis-style BBQ," but I'll admit y'all got your pizza game on lock. My favorite place in the city is Leo's, which is a St. Louis-style pizza place that, honestly, is so much better than Imo's* it's not really comparable.

*Disclaimer: I have been to Imo's like 3 times in my life, and only one of those was actually in the 'Lou.

dreadnought fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 16, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Minsky's is pretty good.

St Louis style pizza is an abomination though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Professor Clumsy posted:

Next time I'm in the US I am going to eat something called "chicken fried steak," I don't know how you chicken fry a steak. Also dessert pizza, which obviously doesn't exist despite TwistedLadder's insistence.

Come visit me in Texas. We have this place called Redneck Heaven where the waitresses have southern drawl, made up like trailer trash in skimpy clothing, where on entering one says "Welcome to Redneck Heaven! Y'all sit where yah like, but mah face is taken!" and then as you are eating your gigantic chicken fried chicken covered in white gravy with sides one waitress can come by and tweak your nipples, while another massages your shoulders, and then another for no reason twerks in your face while you're trying to eat. They also have minnow shots (which I will not do because I value life...sorta) where you take a minnow out of a shot glass filled with water, throw it into the shot of alcohol, and then pound it down before it dies so it dies going down your gullet instead of the alcohol.

They celebrate your birthday by whipping your rear end with a belt. Note, that is not me.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Minsky's is pretty good.

St Louis style pizza is an abomination though.

I completely accept that St. Louis-style pizza is disgusting to like 75% of the population, but I have a crack-like addiction to that Provel cheese. I also accept the fact that I have a gutter palate. I've been in college for six of the past seven years, so I'm at the point where I'll eat anything as long as it has cheese on it.

Minsky's is indeed dope. Papa Keno's was my favorite by-the-slice place but I'm not sure where any others are after the one in Westport closed. There's one in Lawrence still so they didn't completely go under.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gatts posted:

Come visit me in Texas. We have this place called Redneck Heaven where the waitresses have southern drawl, made up like trailer trash in skimpy clothing, where on entering one says "Welcome to Redneck Heaven! Y'all sit where yah like, but mah face is taken!" and then as you are eating your gigantic chicken fried chicken covered in white gravy with sides one waitress can come by and tweak your nipples, while another massages your shoulders, and then another for no reason twerks in your face while you're trying to eat. They also have minnow shots (which I will not do because I value life...sorta) where you take a minnow out of a shot glass filled with water, throw it into the shot of alcohol, and then pound it down before it dies so it dies going down your gullet instead of the alcohol.

They celebrate your birthday by whipping your rear end with a belt. Note, that is not me.

uh what

is this some sort of fetish club for southerners?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I Before E posted:

uh what

is this some sort of fetish club for southerners?

I don't know what it is. It's light fun and amusing but some are shamed to go there and don't want people to know, others are like gently caress it (me), and will hang for a bit of amusement. I had a co-worker go there who was being made uncomfortable because the waitress was overly friendly with him and flirting and he was like "Uhhh...what?"

I think half the point is they do shock stuff for attention. They had a day that was announced as "Wear anything but clothes day"

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

I know this is really late and the thread has moved on (sorry - I can't read while

I hated The Congress and thought Mood Indigo was a really creative mess that didn't work. So, take those for what it's worth.

No worries on the tardiness. The thread derailed really quickly after the original post, so I don't think anyone actually replied. That movie sounds bananas though.

I didn't look into any of these too much before I posted it, but I didn't realize Mood Indigo was the new Gondry. Your description of it sounds like how I'd describe Science of Sleep and Be Kind Rewind, which I enjoyed despite their messiness. Maybe I'll just YOLO it and grab the pass. I'd really like to catch Dazed & Confused, because 1) that movie owns and 2) Spirit is the Spirit is a pretty good band (that I coincidentally had to miss during the music portion of the MotM Fest due to a schedule conflict with another band).

edit: OH poo poo BREADCRUMB TRAIL. Slint doc by Lance Bangs? Yes please.

dreadnought fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 16, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Gatts posted:

So THIS is what people are talking about when they mention the patriarchy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Looks Delightfully Tacky Yet Unrefined.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

This sounds like the greatest place. God Bless America.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TrixRabbi posted:

It is an interesting wonderland. The waitresses can do nearly whatever they want and the customer takes it, sometimes enjoys it, sometimes is confused and frightened, however the place is owned by a man. Some of the girls look like they're having a blast being ridiculous and others probably want to go home and drop out of character.

Like no one goes in thinking "I'm going to get twerked to my face." but then it happens out of nowhere and you're like "Wait...for real did that just happen?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aight, so what's my dinner movie for tonight? Do I bust my Elia Kazan cherry with On The Waterfront or my Bresson cherry with A Man Escaped?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

dreadnought posted:

No worries on the tardiness. The thread derailed really quickly after the original post, so I don't think anyone actually replied. That movie sounds bananas though.

I didn't look into any of these too much before I posted it, but I didn't realize Mood Indigo was the new Gondry. Your description of it sounds like how I'd describe Science of Sleep and Be Kind Rewind, which I enjoyed despite their messiness. Maybe I'll just YOLO it and grab the pass. I'd really like to catch Dazed & Confused, because 1) that movie owns and 2) Spirit is the Spirit is a pretty good band (that I coincidentally had to miss during the music portion of the MotM Fest due to a schedule conflict with another band).

The biggest thing I'll say about Mood Indigo is that it takes a very unexpected tonal shift that I felt really didn't fit the movie around it. That being said, I did end up seeing a shorter American cut (about 90 minutes or so); apparently there is an international cut that is about 2 hours or so. So the international cut might make the final act work more/build to it better.

But I can't say enough good about Why Don't You Play in Hell?. It's not for all tastes - it's bloody as gently caress and it does whatever it feels like, genre-wise - but I loved it. It's like a gloriously insane love letter to celluloid that also features a lot of Evil Dead 2-style severed limbs.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aight, so what's my dinner movie for tonight? Do I bust my Elia Kazan cherry with On The Waterfront or my Bresson cherry with A Man Escaped?

On the Waterfront.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

On the Waterfront.

Yeah, this.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
On the Waterfront, for sure.

Also: Some dude left a black backpack at the finish line of the Boston Marathon and ran off screaming "Boston Strong" on this, the year anniversary of the marathon bombing. This is why we can't have nice things, people.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bresson sucks, Brando rules.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

TrixRabbi posted:

I just like the big "No Photos" sign in the back of that photo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Read On The Waterfront.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Read On The Waterfront.

Aw man, you mean it's got subtitles?

A Man Escaped it is.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

On the Waterfront, for sure.

Also: Some dude left a black backpack at the finish line of the Boston Marathon and ran off screaming "Boston Strong" on this, the year anniversary of the marathon bombing. This is why we can't have nice things, people.

drat it, every time I think people as a whole aren't a big bunch of dickheads.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bresson sucks, Brando rules.
Kazan was a snitch, Bresson fought the Nazis as a member of the Resistance.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A Man Escapes is soooo good, y'all are crazy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

penismightier posted:

A Man Escapes is soooo good, y'all are crazy.
I watched it in a museum once, and as soon as the 'FIN' came up, it got the LARGEST applause I've ever heard for a film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Coaaab posted:

Kazan was a snitch, Bresson fought the Nazis as a member of the Resistance.

Counterpoint: Au Hasard Balthazar and Diary of a Country Priest are two of the most boring films I've ever seen in my entire life.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Counterpoint: Au Hasard Balthazar and Diary of a Country Priest are two of the most boring films I've ever seen in my entire life.
I actually really like both of those films, but I can't blame anyone for thinking those movies were too overbearing and depressing.

A Man Escaped, though, I just mull over that movie for a little while and then think to myself, "Nope, it is perfect."

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A Man Escaped is light years above most of the rest of his work, that stripped-down rawness gives it so much freaky energy.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Just want to send out a general thank you to those of you who talked up Heaven's Gate. I watched it yesterday and thought it was great. I'd totally watch the 5 1/2 hour workprint version.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
To any Britgoons out there, the BFI in London is showing a bunch of great films from the early 30s throughout May. It's pretty hard to go wrong with their selections.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
bodyhorror.jpg

And come on, man, put the cartoon's name in the post! It's got skeletons and Mr. Hyde, I definitely want to check that out.

• Locked thread