Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There's this place in Jersey I went to that charged by the hour (I think it was like $7.00) and then let you play whatever the hell you wanted on freeplay. It was really cool and I wonder how much money he was pulling in. My friends and I easily got roped into two hours when we only intended one.

Plus the novelty of getting to play something like Lethal Enforcers holding two guns (hey, it's freeplay) was frigging awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

There's this place in Jersey I went to that charged by the hour (I think it was like $7.00) and then let you play whatever the hell you wanted on freeplay. It was really cool and I wonder how much money he was pulling in. My friends and I easily got roped into two hours when we only intended one.

Plus the novelty of getting to play something like Lethal Enforcers holding two guns (hey, it's freeplay) was frigging awesome.

Out of curiosity, how many other people were there at the same time, roughly?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

From what I saw, about nine or ten while we were there. It really wasn't a huge place, but I'd say he had around 30 machines. And pinball machines, which people seemed to be flocking to.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
By the hour? You're getting ripped off. In the Chicago suburbs we have $15 for all day free play on over 400 machines. :smug:

Arlington Heights is more like a 30-40 minute drive :confused: vv but it is pointedly convenient that the next poster decided to elaborate on my post in great detail.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2014

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Similar to this, there is Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, IL near Chicago. You pay $15 to get in for the day, and every machine is set to freeplay. They've got hundreds of different machines, from retro games like Pac Man, arcade classics like TMNT, X-men and the Simpsons, and even modern console only fighting games they've built custom cabinets for (and they have some of the best MK players in the country).

There's always a bunch of people every time I go, and they must be doing at least kinda well since they're currently aiming to expand. If you're a fan of arcades or retro gaming and live in or anywhere close to the Midwest, I urge you to go check it out (I swear I'm not a shill I just love this place so much)

https://www.gallopingghostarcade.com

And if you want a full Game Center CX/Japanese experience, you can stop by Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights ~20 minutes away for Ramen/Japanese Candy/Cooling Pads/Manga/etc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

My local arcade is five dollars for all day play. They make most of their money renting it out for parties.

I've got to go back this weekend. They just got a Q*Bert complete with knocker but the power supply went on it just before I arrived the other day. Also, this time I'm going to remember to bring a Dragon's Lair cheat sheet.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, this place may very well have had day passes too (I can't remember), but we only intended to stay there for the hour. *Whoops*.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The arcade I go to sometimes is 25 cents for pretty much everything and is almost all classics. I think it makes all its money in beer and tacos.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Caitlin posted:

By the hour? You're getting ripped off. In the Chicago suburbs we have $15 for all day free play on over 400 machines. :smug:

We got something similar over here in London. Heart of Gaming charges about a tenner for all day free play. Small joint but it's got enough games.

400 machines though sounds like a blast.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I think it makes all its money in beer and tacos.

How long do you think it will take until they figure this out and just focus on the beer and tacos?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

univbee posted:

How long do you think it will take until they figure this out and just focus on the beer and tacos?

Theres a place right across the street that focuses on beer and all you can eat tacos. The games are their hook! Their huge space wasting electricity consuming hook.

Theyve got Aerosmith pinball and Ghostbusters and Mega Man Power Battle and Popeye and Combat and Star Trek TNG Pinball and Magical Drop and
and
and

Metal Slug!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

and
and

Metal Slug!

I was pleased when my local place added Metal Slug X...

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

The real solution is to turn your arcade into a bar. One opened down the street from me in San Diego and every night since (about 4 months ago) it has been packed to the brim. Probably the most succesful bar on the street, at least for right now.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That's a monetary solution but a terrible one if you're actually into playing games because the machines end up in disrepair extremely quickly and the clientele tends to start to suck once they get good and drunk. At least it's been true of every barcade I've been to - beware the pinball tables. They're extremely delicate machines and drunk people just love to beat on them. Bleh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

That's a monetary solution but a terrible one if you're actually into playing games because the machines end up in disrepair extremely quickly and the clientele tends to start to suck once they get good and drunk. At least it's been true of every barcade I've been to - beware the pinball tables. They're extremely delicate machines and drunk people just love to beat on them. Bleh.

Yeah, there's a barcade in town here as well, right off the college campus. The machines are unplayable. The non-drinking retroarcade (which is pretty busy with kids every time I go there which is always nice to see) has rough machines but they're typically working to repairing them rather just letting them rot (though they still don't have a good monitor for Spider-Man).

Sadly, no pinball there. They had sports themed, psuedo-pinball table briefly but had trouble with it so they got rid of it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

The real solution is to turn your arcade into a bar. One opened down the street from me in San Diego and every night since (about 4 months ago) it has been packed to the brim. Probably the most succesful bar on the street, at least for right now.

If You're Going to a Resort Town Try This One
*Music begins*

In Breckenridge, CO, there's a restaurant with an arcade. A few pinball machines, a couple racing games, shooting, fighting, classics. Obviously it gets its money from being a restaurant in a tourist location, but every time I've been there the machines were busy. The food itself is good (except for the fact that they use dark gravy for a chicken fried steak - sacrilege!). I got a chance to play Joust, Battletoads, and The Simpsons. Check it out!

*Music ends*

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andorra posted:

In Breckenridge, CO, there's a restaurant with an arcade.
"'Jeb's Ganja Emporium: No Medical Card Required'... I don't have a medical card, let's go inside!"
:mad:

quote:

The food itself is good (except for the fact that they use dark gravy for a chicken fried steak - sacrilege!).
HERESY

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Andorra posted:

If You're Going to a Resort Town Try This One
*Music begins*

In Breckenridge, CO, there's a restaurant with an arcade. A few pinball machines, a couple racing games, shooting, fighting, classics. Obviously it gets its money from being a restaurant in a tourist location, but every time I've been there the machines were busy. The food itself is good (except for the fact that they use dark gravy for a chicken fried steak - sacrilege!). I got a chance to play Joust, Battletoads, and The Simpsons. Check it out!

*Music ends*

Speaking of the music, a friend linked me this if anyone ever just wants to sit back and chill for a while.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

I'm guessing the barcade in Lakeview? I went to 3 of them in Chicago and yeah, the games were badly maintained. Not only that none of them have Neo Geo!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

I'm guessing the barcade in Lakeview? I went to 3 of them in Chicago and yeah, the games were badly maintained. Not only that none of them have Neo Geo!

There's more than one barcade in Chicago and they're all kind of terrible (in my opinion) for one reason or another. Your options, however, include Emporium Barcade (overpriced, mediocre selection, I heard they expanded and got better but TOKENS FOR GAMES WHILE I'M DRUNK?), Headquarters Beercade (bigger but more crowded, at least the games are on free play but last time I was there half the pins were busted and you had to try to snake them from people, expensive drinks) and the new one, Logan Hardware (can't speak for them since I haven't been there yet but my outlook is not good).

I'd really rather just drive out to Brookfield and hang out at Galloping Ghost. If I want a drink I can walk half a block to Brixie's down the street, who has cheap drinks and a decent selection and just come back to GGA.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I went to Galloping Ghosts about a month ago. The setup is pretty nice (a bit cramped maybe) and as a whole the place was in much better condition than most arcades you'll probably find (hello Tilt you miserable chain of poo poo). I was still disappointed though, as some of the shmups I wanted to play had displays that were in pretty sorry condition, the older fighting games were all jammed in generic cabinets with buttons and sticks that aren't very great. And I didn't find out until I got there that the pinball wing isn't open all of the time.

The triggers on Revolution X not working was the worst part though, of course. :saddowns:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23tGeK3zu0

Famicom Remix 2 Challenge. No kids this time, though :(

Edit: This is also just part one of the challenge.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 16, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Champeenship posted:

It's part one of two, so the next part should be up soon.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Champeenship posted:

Thanks for letting us know. I love watching GCCX raw videos as well.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 16, 2014

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Caitlin posted:

There's more than one barcade in Chicago and they're all kind of terrible (in my opinion) for one reason or another. Your options, however, include Emporium Barcade (overpriced, mediocre selection, I heard they expanded and got better but TOKENS FOR GAMES WHILE I'M DRUNK?), Headquarters Beercade (bigger but more crowded, at least the games are on free play but last time I was there half the pins were busted and you had to try to snake them from people, expensive drinks) and the new one, Logan Hardware (can't speak for them since I haven't been there yet but my outlook is not good).

That's too bad because here in Oregon, there's a total of four "classic" barcades doing the alcohol/restaurant thing and I've enjoyed my visits to them. (Ground Kontrol in Portland, The Coin Jam in Salem, Level Up in Eugene, Game Over in Lincoln City). Granted, not all of them are going to have 100% working games because poo poo happens with games that are two to three decades old. Going forward I think barcades are really the only chance of having things that are the closest to "true" arcades that actually manage to stay in business. There have been a few other attempts to have retro arcades in the Portland metro area in the last few years, all of them failed... two of them didn't serve food/alcohol, and the other was smaller and had very limited hours and wasn't in as keen a location as downtown Portland.

Of course, Portland's also secretly a mecca for pinball with over 500+ machines spread out amongst the metro area (a lot of them in straight up bars, but even some bars have a dozen machines)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Champeenship posted:

I busted up laughing at that Kirby's Adventure remix challenge with the giant Mario 3 Boos. Famicom/NES Remix 2 seems like it might be craizer than what I've seen of the first game (I don't have a Wii U, so I can't play it and see what the rest of NES Remix 1 looks like :().

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

It's part one of two, so the next part should be up soon.

NoJ usually uploads these kinds of videos around the same time they update the eShop on Wednesdays, so it will probably be the same time next week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

We got something similar over here in London. Heart of Gaming charges about a tenner for all day free play. Small joint but it's got enough games.
Well I'll be in London in a few weeks and I guess I know where I'm going.

Was in a small barcade in New York last year and it really is true about the controls, somehow every other game I tried I ended up with something or other busted. Final Fight becomes interesting when you can't walk left. The novelty of having actual arcade machines somewhat outweighed it, though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Caitlin posted:

I'd really rather just drive out to Brookfield and hang out at Galloping Ghost. If I want a drink I can walk half a block to Brixie's down the street, who has cheap drinks and a decent selection and just come back to GGA.

Yeah they're all pretty awful but unfortunately when I am in town for work I lack a vehicle so going to Galloping Ghost is pretty much impossible. Agreed regarding Emporium and Headquarters. When did Logan Hardware become a beercade? When I lived in Lakeview I used to go there to play games but it was a record store. It'll be sad if the games get the barcade treatment because the games were well maintained back then.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

flyboi posted:

Yeah they're all pretty awful but unfortunately when I am in town for work I lack a vehicle so going to Galloping Ghost is pretty much impossible. Agreed regarding Emporium and Headquarters. When did Logan Hardware become a beercade? When I lived in Lakeview I used to go there to play games but it was a record store. It'll be sad if the games get the barcade treatment because the games were well maintained back then.

If you are not a creep and provide gas money it could be possible to get a ride there from nice goons who like going to arcades! :v: Just sayin'. Since we are both upstanding members of the RG thread.

Logan Hardware becoming a beercade is VERY recent, within the last month or two, and I don't know how much I care about making a trip to see it specifically now that it's converted.

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2014/02/11/logan-hardware-arcade-bar-opening-monday.php

February yeah.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Caitlin posted:

If you are not a creep and provide gas money it could be possible to get a ride there from nice goons who like going to arcades! :v: Just sayin'. Since we are both upstanding members of the RG thread.

Logan Hardware becoming a beercade is VERY recent, within the last month or two, and I don't know how much I care about making a trip to see it specifically now that it's converted.

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2014/02/11/logan-hardware-arcade-bar-opening-monday.php

February yeah.

The sad part about Logan Hardware is that although they have a unique selection (flagship would probably be 6p X-Men I guess), it's kind of arbitrary which ones are in good condition and/or which ones are free play. The pinball selection is pretty decent, I finally got to play Pinbot even though I played the NES version of it a ton when I was a kid.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is Mega Man X.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is Mega Man X.

I told you guys it was the next Mega Man game in line.

Also, I guarantee that it's going to be a two parter.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I told you guys it was the next Mega Man game in line.

Also, I guarantee that it's going to be a two parter.

Or one where he gives up.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kakaricho posted:

Or one where he gives up.

If he can beat the NES titles he should have no issue with X. It's the only MM I can beat personally

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah, this challenge won't be that tough, but Mega Man games are a big enough draw that they're going to make one a two parter.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I wanna see the staff take on Mega Man Power Battles. That would make a rad DVD extra or something

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

I wanna see the staff take on Mega Man Power Battles. That would make a rad DVD extra or something

Or Mega Man Soccer. Staff battle!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Tatsujin posted:

The sad part about Logan Hardware is that although they have a unique selection (flagship would probably be 6p X-Men I guess), it's kind of arbitrary which ones are in good condition and/or which ones are free play. The pinball selection is pretty decent, I finally got to play Pinbot even though I played the NES version of it a ton when I was a kid.

Slightly late to this conversation now that there's actual GCCX news, but it's worth noting that this isn't the original Logan Hardware: that only moved down the street. This is a different business called Logan Arcade. Pretty nice the one time I went there, though we'll see how it holds up when I go back there this Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh man, I hope the Mega Man X challenge comes quick, I want to see that so bad.