Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah, I dont want to go programming modules or anything to crazy, but it would be nice to access more of the back end things, and do basics, transmitter programming, etc.

You might just want an MDI, then. (Provide your own XP based laptop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Viggen, could you please send me an e-mail? You should have my address from Paypal. I don't have your address and you don't have PMs turned on.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey Viggen,
Mats went out today, special bonus included.
I was delayed, as I brought my new daughter home on Tuesday.
Her first car trip was 196 miles in a Saab Wagon.
I'm in a very, very good mood.
Ill be back in a little while with the deteriorating driver passenger window scraper trim pictures, hopefully tomorrow.
Also. Enjoy the custom packaging!
Anyone got instructions for replacing the dinky Little lightbulb in front of the headlamp? 2008 9-5 wagon. Am I going to break something stupid taking the headlight lense out?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

West SAAB Story posted:

You might just want an MDI, then. (Provide your own XP based laptop)

What's the difference between the MDI and a (knock off) Tech 2? Besides about $100.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
I need to draw on all you NG SAAB guys.

How's this sound? 1999 SAAB 9-5 3.0 Turbo with 140k on the clock. The seller says the only issue is that the vehicle is in a soft limp home mode due to the throttle body traction sensor being messed up. The obvious remedy? Replace the whole TB and call it a day. How hard is it on these 9-5s? Also, aside from any basic cosmetic issues, he says the return spring on the ignition is bad. You have to manually return the key to the "on" position. I had this issue with a previous 9000, which required replacement of the tumbler mechanism, since it burned out the starter otherwise. Aside from that, it sounds like it's in decent shape and I got him down a few bucks from his asking price to $900.

Hit it or quit it?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Add in body damage/rust/questionable maintenance history and that would still be a $3-4k car here.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

What's the difference between the MDI and a (knock off) Tech 2? Besides about $100.

The Tech2 does everything itself, where the MDI is basically a smart interface to the software which runs on the laptop.

blk posted:

Viggen, could you please send me an e-mail? You should have my address from Paypal. I don't have your address and you don't have PMs turned on.

My PayPal is a mess, I don't know if I could find you even if I remembered the day I paid for the laptop - I use the one account for both personal and business. saviggen at the gmails.

Francis Baconator posted:

How's this sound? 1999 SAAB 9-5 3.0 Turbo with 140k on the clock.

You don't want a 3.0, even if it wasn't a basket case. It's asymmetric, is known to have issues with its oil cooler, and is about a 12 hour teardown to fix it. If it has a new radiator and headgasket, run for the hills. If it doesn't - run for the hills. The 3.0t was an answer GM asked nobody in particular, but felt that SAAB had to have a V6 to pit against Lexus and the like. You do not want this car.

some_admin posted:

Hey Viggen,
I was delayed, as I brought my new daughter home on Tuesday.
Her first car trip was 196 miles in a Saab Wagon.
I'm in a very, very good mood.
Ill be back in a little while with the deteriorating driver passenger window scraper trim pictures, hopefully tomorrow.
Also. Enjoy the custom packaging!
Anyone got instructions for replacing the dinky Little lightbulb in front of the headlamp? 2008 9-5 wagon. Am I going to break something stupid taking the headlight lense out?

Sweet. Thank you! Congrats on the mini-you.. she'll be nice and safe in your wagon SportCombi. Are you asking how to replace the Xenon? I don't quite follow the question.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

West SAAB Story posted:

You don't want a 3.0, even if it wasn't a basket case. It's asymmetric, is known to have issues with its oil cooler, and is about a 12 hour teardown to fix it. If it has a new radiator and headgasket, run for the hills. If it doesn't - run for the hills. The 3.0t was an answer GM asked nobody in particular, but felt that SAAB had to have a V6 to pit against Lexus and the like. You do not want this car.
How bad can it be for that price? :haw:

My main concern is the apparent lack of documentation and parts for the ailments I described.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

How bad can it be for that price? :haw:

My main concern is the apparent lack of documentation and parts for the ailments I described.

Just walk away slowly unless you plan on transplanting a B2x4/5 into it. The 3.0t was always a turd. You do not want that car, no matter how nice the seats are. Find yourself a nice 4 banger.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

My PayPal is a mess, I don't know if I could find you even if I remembered the day I paid for the laptop - I use the one account for both personal and business. saviggen at the gmails.

YGM

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

She's pretty. :woop:

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
9-5s should be from 2002 onwards. There was a minor facelift and changes done to the front suspension that is quite noticeable. Also the Vector seats from 2002 forward beat the poo poo out of the older seats. They are both comfy and hold you in place as you test those sway bars. Minor changes done to what the engine came with, etc, etc.

Had a trip to Gothenburg this weekend. Car preformed well. The hole in the exhaust drove me nuts. Researching stainless now. gently caress rust forever.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Double post!

It was worse than I feared. The suspension rod could be cracked off the pipe with ease.

Made this contraption from a 45 degree bend and a joint.

Welded the rod to a clamp as I only have flux wire in the welding machine. Not pretty but functional. I meant to tack the bend to the muffler but I had some feed issues with the machine so that will have to wait. I will crawl under and inspect in a couple of days, but at least the car is silent again.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

West SAAB Story posted:

The Tech2 does everything itself, where the MDI is basically a smart interface to the software which runs on the laptop.

Any advantage with either of them? Just from following the knock off Tech 2 thread on SaabCentral, it seems like quality is hit and miss, mostly due to bad PCMCIA cards.

I'm seriously thinking about investing in one or the other.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Any advantage with either of them? Just from following the knock off Tech 2 thread on SaabCentral, it seems like quality is hit and miss, mostly due to bad PCMCIA cards.

I'm seriously thinking about investing in one or the other.

I went with the Tech2 because of familiarity and the fact that it will work for all non-botique GM cars with the generic 32MB GM card. It's all in one, and as long as that works, it'll be fine. I won't be stuck with an XP based laptop which may or may not be just as difficult and dated to use - at least until I need to use WIS (which I've already virtualized).

If you get the MDI we could do comparisons, at least. I don't know of anybody who actually has gone that route.

Iskariot posted:

Not pretty but functional.

This is almost the SAAB owners mantra. For, you know, their own fixes vs $500+ in labor.

Did you get a time? I got stuck dealing with the local rent-a-cop who is nice, but won't shut up - so last night was a writeoff. Completely. Will try to schedule something this afternoon/evening. Going to take my generic OBD and just check that sensors are ready as well as probably half of that list.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some_admin posted:

You drat well keep whoever hotglued the poo poo out of those boxes away from your daughter! That was NOT going to open for hell or high water.

Thanks for the floor mats and the rearview - This is the first time I've seen a manual flip rearview that wasn't ratty - the one in the current DD had so much play that it was just easier to check the rearviews and do a headswivel. I didn't put up with that for long.. so now I can go back to stock w/o autodim if I want. :toot:

I'm keeping these mats fresh - they perfectly match my car for whenever I don't sell it.

Those candies look delicious - and I recognize your domain name, but I no longer remember why. Did you contribute to the Hekno thread? v:v:v

blk - going to try to catch her in-route tonight to Virginia City if possible.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

West SAAB Story posted:

...at least until I need to use WIS (which I've already virtualized).
I thought the same thing about the WIS and had been running it virtualized for years. But then I tried running it non-virtualized the other day and it works fine (NG900 WIS, Win 7 64 bit). Just go into the WIS directory and run TABMAN.EXE -- the installer program is what seems to be incompatible. Sure makes printing a hell of a lot easier.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mario posted:

I thought the same thing about the WIS and had been running it virtualized for years. But then I tried running it non-virtualized the other day and it works fine (NG900 WIS, Win 7 64 bit). Just go into the WIS directory and run TABMAN.EXE -- the installer program is what seems to be incompatible. Sure makes printing a hell of a lot easier.

Huh. Well NG900 WIS1 uses a different sort of format than CGM, doesn't it? I don't remember.

The issue I run into with later-WIS is that ActiveCGM is a dead product and trying to find a not-more-payware-plugin poo poo which uses ActiveX is really almost impossible.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

West SAAB Story posted:

Huh. Well NG900 WIS1 uses a different sort of format than CGM, doesn't it? I don't remember.

The issue I run into with later-WIS is that ActiveCGM is a dead product and trying to find a not-more-payware-plugin poo poo which uses ActiveX is really almost impossible.

Also I ran into a halfassed SID repair with Mouser bulbs in it. Whoever did it broke all of the tabs, didn't clean the LCD right, and completely hosed the daughterboard with swiss cheese hotglue. :zombie:

Dammit Q != E

Iskariot posted:

For WIS woes, I recommend https://www.virtualbox.org/ and XP. I bet you could get it to run under Win2000 as well. I'm currently running both WIS and EPC on a MacBook Pro. When support for XP runs out, simply disable all net access to the virtual machine for safety reasons.

Why do 2/3 9-5s come as automatics. :( Such a lovely job to convert to manual!

I'm relatively sure it'd run fine under 98SE. All you need for it is a few support libraries and an IE4 compatible ActiveX widget to embed. :zombie:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 16, 2014

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
For WIS woes, I recommend https://www.virtualbox.org/ and XP. I bet you could get it to run under Win2000 as well. I'm currently running both WIS and EPC on a MacBook Pro. When support for XP runs out, simply disable all net access to the virtual machine for safety reasons.

Why do 2/3 9-5s come as automatics. :( Such a lovely job to convert to manual!

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

West SAAB Story posted:

Can't say I've tried any other WIS version -- is it older or newer ones that use CGM?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

West SAAB Story posted:

You drat well keep whoever hotglued the poo poo out of those boxes away from your daughter! That was NOT going to open for hell or high water.

Thanks for the floor mats and the rearview - This is the first time I've seen a manual flip rearview that wasn't ratty - the one in the current DD had so much play that it was just easier to check the rearviews and do a headswivel. I didn't put up with that for long.. so now I can go back to stock w/o autodim if I want. :toot:

I'm keeping these mats fresh - they perfectly match my car for whenever I don't sell it.

Those candies look delicious - and I recognize your domain name, but I no longer remember why. Did you contribute to the Hekno thread? v:v:v

blk - going to try to catch her in-route tonight to Virginia City if possible.

Haa, yeah sorry about that. I ran out of packing tape, so you end up getting bombproofed box!
My current 9-5 came with that mirror, I had to order the compass/autodim mirror after I bought it. Glad it can do you some good!
I am almost always only a lurker, I have rare contributions to make knowledge wide, will be making an effort shortly when I tinker with the window trim.
Baby sleeps 3+ hours at a shot (during the day, anyway), this is much awesome.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mario posted:

Can't say I've tried any other WIS version -- is it older or newer ones that use CGM?

The newer ones, and WebWis may still be CGM based. I don't remember for sure if WIS1 was or not, but I'm thinking that it wasn't.

some_admin posted:

Haa, yeah sorry about that. I ran out of packing tape, so you end up getting bombproofed box!

That is strange. My 2K Aero also came with the manual no-dim rearview mirror too, but did have the autodimming sideview mirrors - and it doesn't have the winter package since it has no heated seats. :iiam:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 16, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Well, duh, where else are you going to get "Good Vibrations" other than a C900? :v:

E: Have to hit up Mouser - just rebuild 3 alarm cores, and have two more waiting. Built a couple more 9-3 and 9-5 SID test stations, too. I'm beat.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 19, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Just had an interesting call:

"So, [Mutual Acquaintance] told me you fix SIDs and alarms and the like."
'Yes. Is there something I can help you with?'
"Can you show me how? I'm a little broke and..."

Sometimes, I wish there was a real life lmgtfy.

I can understand not wanting to get raped on prices, but he didn't even ask how much I would charge before going straight into the spiel? Wanting to learn? That's cool. Wanting to learn to compete against me in the same market? Not so much. Hell, my alarm service is almost at-cost, just because I'd rather get the business than let BBA have it (and that I don't do enough bulk to get a really good rate on the batteries).

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Replaced the strut mounts and also the inner tie rod bushings while I was at it. The right hand strut mount rubber had become unbonded from the metal such that the rubber part of the mount would slide up and down just by muscling on the strut with the car raised. There was no danger of catastrophic failure while driving thanks to the top washer, but it was starting to make a hell of a racket. Managed to replace the mounts without having to remove the strut/knuckle assemblies, which would have been a bigger pain (separating ball joint, removing axle, etc.).

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
I saw this today and figured you Saab dudes might get a kick out of it. It is my favorite Saab that is not really a Saab.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm here for my quarterly SAAB problems. My 2007 9-3 wagon has decided it would be fun to not show me how much fuel I have. Sometimes the gauge will work, but always after a fill up, it will show empty, gas light on, and the DTE will show "---." After turning the ignition on and off a few times the DTE will finally show, but the analogue gauge is still at empty. The gauge sweeps during ignition on, so it seems like a simple sender issue, but the DTE showing miles left has me a bit confused. I haven't seen if the DTE is in any way accurate though. If it is the sender, is it easy to replace? Or would the tank need to come out?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Mgant posted:

I saw this today and figured you Saab dudes might get a kick out of it. It is my favorite Saab that is not really a Saab.

Born from jets.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Mgant posted:

I studied with a guy that owns a Turbo X with similar looks. Can't find any pictures of it though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm here for my quarterly SAAB problems. My 2007 9-3 wagon has decided it would be fun to not show me how much fuel I have. Sometimes the gauge will work, but always after a fill up, it will show empty, gas light on, and the DTE will show "---." After turning the ignition on and off a few times the DTE will finally show, but the analogue gauge is still at empty. The gauge sweeps during ignition on, so it seems like a simple sender issue, but the DTE showing miles left has me a bit confused. I haven't seen if the DTE is in any way accurate though. If it is the sender, is it easy to replace? Or would the tank need to come out?

You're going to have to take the tank out to do so. If you were closer we could stick my TechII on it and check the sender. :v:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
My 1998 9-5 2.3T (manual) has developed a weird loud, high-pitched rattle. The sound quality isn't the best, but you can hear it here, in the background: http://tindeck.com/listen/rjhl (it starts after a second or two).

It only occurs when I start moving, typically when I enter 1st or 2nd gear (but not always, and I've heard it after I've lifted my foot from the clutch). I can't provoke it to occur just by driving slowly, when idling or in neutral, or by driving over gravel / cobblestone.

During Easter I've:

1) Changed my wheels to alloys / summer tires.
2) Tried to diagnose my windshield washer (there's no liquid).

After this, I drove home (300 km) and didn't notice anything off. I've checked all the wheel bolts, they're fine.

Point 2) involved stripping back some of the hood insulation. When I did this, one of the clips broke. It sounds more metallic, but I suppose some clip plastic can be stuck in a fold in the hood?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

West SAAB Story posted:

You're going to have to take the tank out to do so. If you were closer we could stick my TechII on it and check the sender. :v:

That's weird, IIRC you can get at it from the back seat on the 9-5?

Ninja: I missed it was a 9-3, nevermind me.

I wonder why they made it so much more problematic to get at in the new 9-3?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

NFX posted:

My 1998 9-5 2.3T (manual) has developed a weird loud, high-pitched rattle. The sound quality isn't the best, but you can hear it here, in the background: http://tindeck.com/listen/rjhl (it starts after a second or two).

It only occurs when I start moving, typically when I enter 1st or 2nd gear (but not always, and I've heard it after I've lifted my foot from the clutch). I can't provoke it to occur just by driving slowly, when idling or in neutral, or by driving over gravel / cobblestone.

During Easter I've:

1) Changed my wheels to alloys / summer tires.
2) Tried to diagnose my windshield washer (there's no liquid).

After this, I drove home (300 km) and didn't notice anything off. I've checked all the wheel bolts, they're fine.

Point 2) involved stripping back some of the hood insulation. When I did this, one of the clips broke. It sounds more metallic, but I suppose some clip plastic can be stuck in a fold in the hood?

In spite of the wonders of on-street parking and no ramps, I poked around under the car and there's a big plastic shield below the car, at the very front (in front of the engine sump). It's held on with several Torx T20 screws. At the left-most side, the entire area surrounding the mounting hole (all plastic) had completely broken off, so it's nice and flappy. I hope that's it.

I can't actually hear the rattling if my windows are up and the radio is on, so I wonder how long it's been like that :(.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

NFX posted:

I can't actually hear the rattling if my windows are up and the radio is on, so I wonder how long it's been like that :(.

Most OG rattles are often fixed with a liberal application of loud.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

Most OG rattles are often fixed with a liberal application of loud.

Truth.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Welp, I applied some duct tape to hold it down, and it still rattles.

I can avoid the rattle if I let the clutch slip a little more than usual when I set off (and thus get a smoother start). It's not directly related to the gear box, since I've also observed it in reverse. On the other hand, I've tried driving at 40 kph in 5th gear, which makes the engine run at less than 900 rpm, resulting in a good amount of vibration. I heard nothing.

It only shows up when I'm at very low speed AND there's a lot of engine vibration.

edit: Here's the same sound, high pass filtered and amplified. Ugh.

NFX fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 22, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Have you checked your idler pulleys recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nope.

Is that even a thing on a B235E? Do you mean the chain tensioner?