Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

penismightier posted:

"How dare you not recognize this guy only film nerds may know about." - A guy on a film board posting about the Cannes 2014 poster

To be fair, the 8½ discussion is happening concurrently with the Leprechaun discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Some 8½ posters (go see it, people)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I've seen Amarcord a million times and it's one of my faves, but just never got around to 8 1/2.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Were the Harry Potter checks finally enough that Warwick Davis decided he didn't need to do these anymore?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Erebus posted:

Were the Harry Potter checks finally enough that Warwick Davis decided he didn't need to do these anymore?

Too bad, he was the best part of those movies.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Seriously the Leprechaun films are genuinely enjoyable schlock and he was great in them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't he end up as the Executive Producer on the later ones?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sorcerer is about to be released on DVD and Blu-ray complete with a new master and I was actually inspired to watch it based on this poster.

It's considered one of the last New Hollywood movies and watching it you can't help thinking that there's absolutely no way it would be made today. The scene depicted on the poster is particularly incredible.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

ruddiger posted:

Bummin' around Troma's website looking to buy that Return To Nuke Em High Fantasia poster and ran across this thing.

That poster is loud as hell, and the trailer... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbxQ9XN8lPs

The best thing about that movie is the soundtrack. The second best thing is that they released a pan and scan VHS version.

The dude that made it has a new film coming out starting the head Cretin from Return to Nuke 'Em High

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0U_ULQohcM

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Sorcerer is amazing, largely because there's an entire hour where you have no idea how this movie can possibly get to the scene on that poster/be a remake of Wages of Fear.

It also has possibly the saddest single frame I've ever seen in a film. We never see that character again after that and it kills me.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sorcerer is the single greatest movie ever. I've never been so hooked by a film.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

Seriously, people didn't know who that was? Watch 8 1/2 you fucks. I've been searching for a decent replica of those sunglasses for years.

Here you go.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

wyoming posted:

The best thing about that movie is the soundtrack. The second best thing is that they released a pan and scan VHS version.

Where can you get the Taint soundtrack?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Where can you get the Taint soundtrack?

They've got it up on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/user494923

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wyoming posted:

The dude that made it has a new film coming out starting the head Cretin from Return to Nuke 'Em High

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0U_ULQohcM

Having seen Science Team, I can tell you that it's a really interesting movie, but people looking for another The Taint will be really disappointed.

The soundtrack, however, still owns.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Sorcerer is amazing, largely because there's an entire hour where you have no idea how this movie can possibly get to the scene on that poster/be a remake of Wages of Fear.

It also has possibly the saddest single frame I've ever seen in a film. We never see that character again after that and it kills me.

I remember watching Wages a few years ago and was actually disappointed by it since I saw Sorcerer first. Sorcerer really, really sells the desperation that the characters have got themselves into, which is actually something missing from Wages. Wages' South America is like a happy place with singing natives (you think I'm joking), while Sorcerer apparently takes place in a rough land where even down-and-out homeless people would hesitate to stay the night. And there's reasons why they've chosen to go hide out in a jungle filled with rebels and dripping with humidity and dread.

Also, I'm fairly certain that's the only other woman seen in the film. The only woman that shows up in the South American section is an old cleaning woman.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012

7thBatallion posted:

Sorcerer is the single greatest movie ever. I've never been so hooked by a film.
Now I'm really bummed I didn't catch it when it screened at the TIFF Lightbox this past week. And I loved Wages.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I hope it's the complete cut. The one I saw was an old 16mm print that had been sawn up to pieces that little made sense beyond "they're taking a truck to stop an oil refinery going up".

The bridge scene is pretty much the centerpiece of the whole film. Allegedly Star Wars' success killed this movie's initial reception. Theater owners would screen Star Wars to pull in crowds as opposed to Sorcerer.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

WebDog posted:

I hope it's the complete cut. The one I saw was an old 16mm print that had been sawn up to pieces that little made sense beyond "they're taking a truck to stop an oil refinery going up".

The bridge scene is pretty much the centerpiece of the whole film. Allegedly Star Wars' success killed this movie's initial reception. Theater owners would screen Star Wars to pull in crowds as opposed to Sorcerer.

The reason that cut exists was to squeeze in more screenings to hopefully make more money. The version about to be released is the proper uncut version. Dunno if it has the other cut.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

wyoming posted:

They've got it up on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/user494923

Thanks for this!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In the UK we got the good Sapphires poster with Chris O'Dowd standing off to the left with the right of the poster being taken up by the Sapphires themselves:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...F%3B2048%3B1536

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

S-Alpha posted:

holy trinity of tacked on entertainment subtitles

Revolution, and... rising?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

That point should be a big part of the movie. Slight spoiler since it isn't covered in the trailer Amy, the missing wife, is famous for being the inspiration for her parents' "Amazing Amy" children's book series.

I wonder if the movie is going to follow the book's POV structure. I hope so.

Gillian Flynn is doing the script and said the movie is going to deviate from the book format wise but I'm not entirely sure what exactly that means. The fact that Flynn is the one doing it gives me hope.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Gillian Flynn is doing the script and said the movie is going to deviate from the book format wise but I'm not entirely sure what exactly that means. The fact that Flynn is the one doing it gives me hope.

It must be strange for Flynn though. It's like hey we want you to script a version of your book, and we got David Fincher on board! But uh...no one likes your ending so you're going to have to think up a new one. Laters!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Went to a Kenneth Anger screening last night, I wish there were more posters for his movies. His titles are always so evocative. Invocation of My Demon Brother. Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome. Rabbit's Moon. Scorpio Rising. Lucifer Rising. Kustom Kar Kommandos. Such great names.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mister Chief posted:

Sorcerer is about to be released on DVD and Blu-ray complete with a new master and I was actually inspired to watch it based on this poster.

It's considered one of the last New Hollywood movies and watching it you can't help thinking that there's absolutely no way it would be made today. The scene depicted on the poster is particularly incredible.

Oh, man. Can't wait to get that. I saw Sorcerer at the theater when it came out and goddamn was it intense. One of the last 1970s "feel bad" movies. Incredible visuals, fantastic soundtrack. Roy Scheider at his best.

Edit: Ha! I thought this seemed familiar...

Dick Trauma posted:

If you haven't seen this movie please do so immediately. I saw it at the theater when I was around 10 and it cemented my love for gritty movies. I miss Roy Scheider.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 18, 2014

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
As someone who has never seen "Wages of Fear" (I own it, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet) or "Sorcerer", which should I watch first?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Origami Dali posted:

As someone who has never seen "Wages of Fear" (I own it, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet) or "Sorcerer", which should I watch first?

I'd say Wages of Fear first. It feels like a much lighter interpretation of the material, whereas Sorcerer is an amazing downer of a film with glimmers of hope. I think the difference between both would be better appreciated if you start out with Wages. Much like I feel The Thing is better appreciated after watching The Thing From Another World first.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I saw this movie at Sundance and while it wasn't that great, I rather like this poster:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

This seems a bit lazy. I kind of like it, but I can't help but think about Photoshop filters when I look at it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Kramjacks posted:

This seems a bit lazy. I kind of like it, but I can't help but think about Photoshop filters when I look at it.

Is that official? That looks worse than something I could make in 20 minutes and I'm loving terrible. That movie looks amazing too, which makes it much worse. They could've easily aped the 80s style in the poster to match the movie.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Ariza posted:

Is that official? That looks worse than something I could make in 20 minutes and I'm loving terrible. That movie looks amazing too, which makes it much worse. They could've easily aped the 80s style in the poster to match the movie.

Its the poster they used on imdb. Here's another some site listed as "official", still kind of generic.

Edit: And here's another one that has creases in it for some reason.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 19, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh, man. Can't wait to get that. I saw Sorcerer at the theater when it came out and goddamn was it intense. One of the last 1970s "feel bad" movies. Incredible visuals, fantastic soundtrack. Roy Scheider at his best.

Edit: Ha! I thought this seemed familiar...

That's probably were I first heard of the movie. :ms:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That color is currently discontinued, as is every other color in that style (which I didn't want, if it was a little cheaper I may have settled for the tortoise shell, but I can't even get that), welcome to my hell. I used to have a google alert for that model number.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Someone did some cool "posters" for Game Of Thrones, I assume they count enough for this thread? I like them knowing the context, but I'm not sure how they work if you don't know. They at least seem artistically and aesthetically interesting, even if they're a little reliant on blood dripping.

This last one's a little spoilery for season 1:

Whole album here (may include SPOILERS): http://imgur.com/a/H7BT2
EDIT: the source is http://beautifuldeath.com/ (definitely spoilers)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 19, 2014

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

VagueRant posted:

EDIT: the source is http://beautifuldeath.com/ (definitely spoilers)

If you go to the site and click on each poster you get to see all the fan submissions.

You know you want to.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

If you go to the site and click on each poster you get to see all the fan submissions.

You know you want to.

They're all goddamn amazing.

Clint Eastwood nooooooooo :ohdear:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I don't much care for Game of Thrones, but that is loving great.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Some of the fan ones are real rotten but the gifs are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90UPb4i3SxQ