Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008
/B/anal.

dukeku posted:

Posting more bad photos from the art world circlejerk that can't actually produce anything good in my favorite thread.

Austin Granger

/b/anal

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
edit: okay, thanks!

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 27, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'm sure this guy has come up before, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any ideas as to how to emulate this style of very sharp detail with vibrant colors, completely enveloped in black. I have a tripod, a Canon T2i, a Canon 50mm 1.8, one removable flash, and can rig a cylindrical backdrop if need be. I'm aware it's dumb to come at very technical photography with a bunch of basic stuff like this, I'm just wanting some advice on where to start with this style of portrait photography.

Mario Gerth

Ask here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170705

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Musket posted:

Its clear whom the Taste Makers are ITT :snoop:

I use my Tastemaker to open 35mm film canisters and bottles of beer.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Bottle openers for 35mm is for wimps, gotta Hulk Hogan it

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

How will putting the film in my shoes help?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

8th-snype posted:

How will putting the film in my shoes help?

35mm silver jerky, delicious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spedman posted:

I've done this a few times and always end up cutting my soft hands on the sharp metal and getting blood on everything. Bottle openers are the way to go.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
So I saw a bunch of new posts to the thread, came over expecting cool photos, but found a lot of bullshit.

Here -- Man Ray (good Surrealist photography)

And Mark Seliger (contemporary portraitist)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I think sometimes people have problems with appreciating (especially) fine art photography in this thread because frequently people just post cherry picked images from what is usually a long narrative of artistic vision (sometimes expecting people to click through to a webpage).

That in itself can make it quite difficult to identify with the photographer's vision for his or her composition - there are a number of pictures out there (and in this thread) that on their own are merely "good to great", but presented alongside the rest of the photos, or with some background, are elevated to a level beyond what they alone depict.

The opposite is also true.

There's also the differences between objective and subjective appreciation of art. Neither is invalidated by the other, but both should be applied to an object to properly gauge its quality. There's also the quandary of the philosophy of art and aestheticism, decadence and symbolism's merits have been argued ad nauseous ever since the movements began.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Gregg Segal's None of the Above. Here's some context, nerds

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
All those misshapen heads remind me of Florida.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Cool.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Went to the Robert Frank exhibition at Stockholm Fotografiska Museet. If you haven't already, you should get hold of a copy of The Americans.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

David Pratt posted:

Went to the Robert Frank exhibition at Stockholm Fotografiska Museet. If you haven't already, you should get hold of a copy of The Americans.

They re-released it in a smaller size. You can get it for like $30 on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Americans-Robert-Frank/dp/386521584X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395155803&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+frank

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

At first glance I could swear the sign said "Jumbo Hot Dog 18+" and I was seriously wondering what the hell kind of pervert diner that was.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Don't worry, the other sign stipulates absolutely no fillers.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

Don't worry, the other sign stipulates absolutely no fillers.

This is not an issue.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

ansel autisms posted:

Some more cliquish garbage from Robert Adams, who has only been admired because of his fantastic ability to take poo poo photos for idiots:

All from the series A Question of Hope.

I just saw the Robert Adams and Cartier-Bresson retrospectives in Paris yesterday in Jeu De Paume and Centre Pompidou respectively. I learned that I really really hate retrospectives. I came out feeling like I knew less about the photographer then before. Adams in particular was hard to understand. He's a ridiculously prolific photographer so if you only know him from his work with the New Topographics, you're going to absolutely be lost.
I picked up this book at Jeu De Paume so I hope I won't be that lost anymore.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Graciela Iturbide is one of my favorites. I like that she doesn't seem worried about telling the truth. I haven't read any interviews of her, mostly because I don't want to be disappointed.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Klaus Pichler's "Just the two of us":

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

More here: http://www.boredpanda.com/snail-macro-photography-vyacheslav-mishchenko/

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

From Emil Kozak's series Big Black Nothing, where he walks until he gets scared, takes a picture, and then turns around and walks back.

[ MOD EDIT: Changed filenames to reduce image leeching, since the guy's site isn't obviously a CDN or something. Fix file extension to view images. ]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 19, 2014

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

trip9 posted:

From Emil Kozak's series Big Black Nothing, where he walks until he gets scared, takes a picture, and then turns around and walks back.

This is beyond awesome, and thank you so much for pointing this guy out to me. I wish I could reciprocate, but I guess we'll have to hang on for a bit.

Edit: I just noticed that you're stealing the guy's bandwidth. Not cool! Download these pictures and upload them to imgur or something, quickly -- before SoundMonkey catches you!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

trip9 posted:

Vice posted this guy's work a while back, and I loved it then as much as I do now. They can be hit or miss on whether the work they post is any good (in my opinion, a lot of very...hipster-friendly(?) photography posted by them), but this really caught me. They had an interview too. Here's that: http://www.vice.com/read/emil-kozak-tells-us-the-stories-behind-his-big-black-nothing

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I like these and I want to know where I can gather strawberries and boletes in the same place.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

I like these and I want to know where I can gather strawberries and boletes in the same place.

Yeah my new goal in life is to become good at macro shots like this because they're pretty phenomenal.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They're all just staged on a tabletop. Grab some moss and start shooting.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

They're all just staged on a tabletop. Grab some moss and start shooting.

There's obviously some staging being done, but it's not in-studio.

The Article posted:

Mishchenko shoots his unwitting models in their natural habitats

Getting good light on your subject in a dense forest requires a lot of scouting and patience, so at least that took some serious work.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Setting up a table outside isn't particularly difficult.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Looking at the EXIF on some of these (http://vyacheslav1964.35photo.ru/photo_697861/) he shot these on a Fuji superzoom? I didn't even know they could focus that close.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Is this the same guy who does terrible things to frogs to get his macro shots?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Spedman posted:

Is this the same guy who does terrible things to frogs to get his macro shots?

IIRC that was a guy from Indonesia. This guy is certainly not capturing normal garden snail behavior, though, he's just picking them up and putting them in weird places, and then waiting for them to start trying to get off of whatever unsuitable-for-a-snail thing they're stuck on.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
More of a video about a picture, but it's about an awesome photo from another photographer:

The History Behind Microsoft XP’s “Bliss” Background

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Some unknown named Stephen Shore

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Shot of a back of a head. Amateur!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Santa is strapped posted:

Shot of a back of a head. Amateur!

That railing is in the way, too. Terrible. What was he thinking?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's awfully derivitive of Eggleston and Friedlander's backs of people's heads.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

It's awfully derivative of Eggleston and Friedlander's backs of people's heads.

What!?! They are completely different! Do you even art bro?:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

what the gently caress is art

• Locked thread