Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Panaflex posted:

Technically pre 1976 vehicles are not "exempt" but they are not required to be inspected. CARB states they should still have all original (if any) emissions equipment installed.

Regarding your F350, I would seriously consider buying yourself a new cat outside of California if you still have the ability to recieve shipments out of state. This is just in case a new cat is what it is going to take to get your truck in shape to pass. There are few aftermarket cats authorized for sale in California and they must comply with all sorts of nonsense, serial numbers on the cats, and what not. They are also three times more expensive. If you show up with a new cat and still have your out of state plates, the tech will probably not be bothered by it.

First, I realized I said the 7.3 in my last post, but that'd be the diesel and not the gas 7.5/460ci I meant. Dumb fingers.

I got the thing for free so the plan was, dump as much money into it as I'll get back from just scrapping it trying to get it running well enough to sell and if it wont pass smog, I'll at least break even. I'm at that point now so I'll be calling around to the junkyards tomorrow. If I had the time and didn't need the cash to put towards something that didn't get around 6mpg, I'd be selling it piecemeal because the entire drivetrain runs sweet other than emissions.

The truck was in the family since it was brand new, so it'll be kinda sad seeing it go, but maybe someone will be able to keep their car living because of mine. Like donating organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

poo poo, we had that happen to a chunk of CH-47 drive shaft. Had the thing strain-gaged to measure torque and it was in the calibration fixture and basically the fixture broke in the process of applying a load and we couldn't get the shaft out while it was still being loaded. Simplest thing to do turned out to be to get a bunch of heat guns and heat the shaft section up until the aluminum lost strength and twisted around like taffy.

I should have gotten a picture of that while it was still around, no idea where it wound up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's what happens when a truck's wheel explodes as it's driving past. The whole car was rammed against the kerb. There were chunks of alloy wheel and tyre in front of the building behind the car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

That's what happens when a truck's wheel explodes as it's driving past. The whole car was rammed against the kerb. There were chunks of alloy wheel and tyre in front of the building behind the car.

Great, now I will NEVER be able to pass a truck in the Miata with the top down ever again without rolling up the window first. And people wonder why I advocate the "Hammer Down Passing Method".

I need to bookmark that for the next time I get pulled for doing 90 while passing a truck.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Slavvy posted:

An old friend of mine used to be an HGV mechanic here in Scotland for Volvo/Scania. That picture would give him nightmares...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a irrational fear of truck tires after watching too many youtube movies of explosive tire failures.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
I used to work for a tech company that did stuff for Hannaford Supermarkets. They had these lovely metal Powervar UPS units under each lane. Under the belt. Where god knows what gets spilled on them. It was always sketchy when I would replace the battery and the thing would smoke check itself, with the customers in the checkout lane next to me looking at it like...huh, that's strange. I hated that job.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Slavvy posted:

Well that's nice. I'm already terrified of truck wheels after having a tire pop on a semi next to me while riding my motorcycle. Smell of burnt rubber and a thump to the chest help clear the sinuses in the morning and require a new pair of shorts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

Great, now I will NEVER be able to pass a truck in the Miata with the top down ever again without rolling up the window first. And people wonder why I advocate the "Hammer Down Passing Method".

I need to bookmark that for the next time I get pulled for doing 90 while passing a truck.

Keep the windows down, if one blows like that, windows up just means you'll take a faceful of broken glass immediately followed by a giant hunk of rubber to grind it into your skin, instead of just the giant tire chunk. You're going to have a bad day either way but I'd rather not dig glass out of my skin for the next 6 months.

I try not to hang out beside/behind semi trucks for a variety of reasons. It's much easier to end up in their blind spot, it usually means blocking a passing lane, you have much less maneuverability if something bad happens and less visibility so you can't see something happening as quickly in the first place, and you might get pancaked by a gator, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tater_salad posted:

I spotted the failure, old vehicle, California.

Fixed that. gently caress a bunch of Cali.

Send all those delicious non-rustbelt old cars out my way instead. :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I try not to hang out beside/behind semi trucks for a variety of reasons.
I usually clock the plates on any truck I'm goign to pass - foreign plates means a driver sat on the wrong sde of the cab, who could be more likely to not see me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kastein posted:

I try not to hang out beside/behind semi trucks for a variety of reasons. It's much easier to end up in their blind spot, it usually means blocking a passing lane, you have much less maneuverability if something bad happens and less visibility so you can't see something happening as quickly in the first place, and you might get pancaked by a gator, too.

Especially once Ace gets his CDL. :getin:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

That and my dad apparently repaired part of the emissions system using house plumbing. The guy said it was actually a brilliant hack but CA is anal about all of that system being stock.

The crankcase recirculation hose on my car had a dry-rotted rubber fitting to connect the hose to the air filter. The piece was only available from Ford for like 85 dollars with a bunch of other junk like the PCV filter attached, so I made a little cylindrical mold and cast a new one out of black 2-part urethane rubber. The sperg at the e-test somehow figured out that it wasn't a stock part (too shiny, I guess) and failed me until I replaced it with the ~real thing~. Jerk.

And guess what part of the car is starting to dry-rot again already!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sagebrush posted:

The crankcase recirculation hose on my car had a dry-rotted rubber fitting to connect the hose to the air filter. The piece was only available from Ford for like 85 dollars with a bunch of other junk like the PCV filter attached, so I made a little cylindrical mold and cast a new one out of black 2-part urethane rubber. The sperg at the e-test somehow figured out that it wasn't a stock part (too shiny, I guess) and failed me until I replaced it with the ~real thing~. Jerk.

And guess what part of the car is starting to dry-rot again already!

Buy another one, but only use it for inspections.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I had this happen with my focus idle air recirc pump or whatever crap emissions garbage hose it was. After a while they got lovely and would collapse on themselves or crack.

Because I live in a slightly less poo poo state I was able to replace with 6" of rubber hose instead of the $80 ford part that still would rot if used.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. If your APC branded battery backup product retails for less than 5 figures it's probably no better than some no-name chinese brand. Ant it's almost certainly using the same batteries.

This, we switched all our stuff (and our customers) to CyberPower.
Cheap, works great, and they actually warranty their poo poo.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

dietcokefiend posted:

Well that's nice. I'm already terrified of truck wheels after having a tire pop on a semi next to me while riding my motorcycle. Smell of burnt rubber and a thump to the chest help clear the sinuses in the morning and require a new pair of shorts.

Here ya go

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
1997 Dodge Caravan. The left front strut tower rotted to the point of decapitation:

I wasn't about to even try putting it up on the lift to find out what else was wrong with it, this one is done for.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd imagine major parts like a subframe falling out if you put that on a post lift.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I got a good one today. Subtle though.

Loader came in today, customer said that it was having steering issues. Road tech diagnosed it as a worn drive motor.

First we get it out of the machine. For those less familiar with hydraulics, the round bit sitting on top is what does the actual driving. Oil is directed into the ports in the centre, which forces out the rollers. They push against the lobes on the housing and you get rotation. They can also shift into "high gear" by shutting off oil flow to some ports; same amount of flow to fewer rollers = faster travel speed. From this distance everything looks fine.

It took us a couple minutes to notice this. You can just see tiny cracks running from some of the ports. They're pretty visible with the flash, but when I first looked I could barely see them. 6 out of 8 ports were cracked, most of those right from the centre all the way to the outside.

Doesn't look like much, but under thousands of psi of oil pressure, that thing probably opened up to resemble an exploded pie chart. Hence the steering issue.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Motronic posted:

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. If your APC branded battery backup product retails for less than 5 figures it's probably no better than some no-name chinese brand. Ant it's almost certainly using the same batteries.

And if it retails for 5 figures or more, it's still using the same batteries, just lots more of them.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Root Bear posted:

1997 Dodge Caravan. The left front strut tower rotted to the point of decapitation:

I wasn't about to even try putting it up on the lift to find out what else was wrong with it, this one is done for.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/Pages/advancetraining/strut-tower-repair-cap-kits.html

I don't even

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Root Bear posted:

The scary part is that Dorman makes a patch/repair kit for this problem.

It is a stamped sheetmetal strut tower replacement... and it attaches to the top of the tower. With 3 self tapping sheet metal screws and a dozen pop rivets. :stonk:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hillridge posted:

And if it retails for 5 figures or more, it's still using the same batteries, just lots more of them.

Hey now, those batteries may have been QA'd, or passed QA! (Given from what I understand they're all made at a handful of factories, then at the end there is the official sticker person who adds the branding.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hillridge posted:

I was so hoping I was right, but I just checked and the "new" APC bigger stuff like the Symetras absolutely are using the same drat batteries. That's just shameful.

I really thought I'd recalled them being built like proper datacenter UPSes.

I'll stick with my Liebert NXes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Motronic posted:

Oh, but they fixed that! It's no longer a problem!

(so the component manufacturers keep saying, and so we all keep finding out is a load of crap - guess it's time to blame it on counterfeits again)
No they fixed the problem where an inordinate amount of them failed early. Capacitor rot as a failure mode is incredibly common especially in older devices because of the inherent problems of having a device that relies on water to operate correctly. I just dealt with a 200V power supply that I assumed was going to catch on fire because my initial assumption was that the electrolytic capacitors were completely devoid of any water.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 18, 2014

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

kastein posted:

It is a stamped sheetmetal strut tower replacement... and it attaches to the top of the tower. With 3 self tapping sheet metal screws and a dozen pop rivets. :stonk:

I've installed plenty. They work like a band-aid on a gangrene limb.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

kastein posted:

Looking through that website, it seems like Dorman specializes in making parts to fix things that break all the goddamned time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A Melted Tarp posted:

Looking through that website, it seems like Dorman specializes in making parts to fix things that break all the goddamned time.

That seems like a pretty loving good business plan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Couldn't you make a strut bar that runs the length of the car and bolts into the chassis?

I'm so glad I tackled the rust on my Audi before it got worse :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A Melted Tarp posted:

Oh, they do.

The problem is that their execution and/or quality on some of the parts isn't really the best. Like, say, this one.

Another example: I've recommended their XJ/MJ trans cooler lines to probably 50 people (part numbers 624-300, 624-301, and 624-334.) Then they changed chinesium suppliers and the quickdisconnect barbs are now misformed and require extensive cursing to seat, if they seat at all, and tend to pop back out when you need them most, so I don't recommend them anymore.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How to replace a window regulator latch assembly (I'm now told), German style:

Don't know the car, looks like some sort of VAG.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly I love that idea. You know how many times I've had a pinch weld rot out?

Look ma, no pinch welds!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

No they fixed the problem where an inordinate amount of them failed early. Capacitor rot as a failure mode is incredibly common especially in older devices because of the inherent problems of having a device that relies on water to operate correctly. I just dealt with a 200V power supply that I assumed was going to catch on fire because my initial assumption was that the electrolytic capacitors were completely devoid of any water.

That's...not how it works. Capacitors from like the 50's and poo poo have electrolyte that dried out after decades, but aluminum electrolytic capacitors are entirely sealed. Devices from a decade ago failed due to the "capacitor plague", where stolen (incomplete) electrolyte formulas were used by lovely no-name manufacturers. Over time, this bad electrolyte broke down and generated gas, causing the capacitors to vent. Other (good) capacitors fail due to being exposed to temperatures or voltages they are not rated for, which can also cause them to break down and vent.

But they aren't filled with water. They are filled with electrolyte. It's what capacitors crave.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 19, 2014

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fucknag posted:

Honestly that owns. Look how easy it is to replace anything inside that door.

Would that have any issue with structural rigidity however?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

tater_salad posted:

focus idle air recirc pump
THANK YOU for posting this phrase. This led me to websites that said replacing this might actually fix a longstanding idle problem I've been having.

Occasional inability to idle on it's own when it's above 50f out and the engine is re-started when warm when sitting for 5-90 minutes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
No - the internal metal skin is the stressed member.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Root Bear posted:

I've installed plenty. They work like a band-aid on a gangrene limb.

-Strut tower caps-

My boss at a shop I used to work at had me do a set of these once. I made him add labor to weld them in because I sure as hell wasn't going to just rivet them in, and I added a little extra flat stock here and there and bathed those things in primer and paint afterwards.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What is it that makes them rust so badly? Do they trap a lot of wet muck up in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Fucknag posted:

Clever! There are more parts on the inside than the outside if the door anyway. There is also no issue with getting the interior to fit correctly after the repair. No squeaks or rattles and perfect fit. No issue with wiring. Looks like a Skoda to me btw.