Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Kyte posted:

Wait what I'm literally staring at the source right now and I'm not seeing how it's hardcoded. I'm fairly sure this isn't a "fixed" source.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12835745&postcount=2

From the modder who is probably more familiar with the core .dll than Firaxis is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Two examples that have popped up in the last week:
  • It's been tested that ranged and siege units, when being attacked by cities, completely ignore their Ranged Defense Modifiers (such as Cover I or II) and just use their Ranged Strength to calculate defensive values. This means the Hwach'a is actually better for city sieges than the Trebuchet since it doesn't die in two hits, despite the design of the unit as an anti-Unit Siege Weapon! But this doesn't happen when Ranged units attack other Ranged units! Fixing this requires a new .dll which blocks out any other mods which replace the .dll.

tl;dr: Don't ever give your Archers or Catapults Cover I or II.

Seriously? That sounds dumb as all hell. I'll keep that in mind for my next game so I don't waste a promotion. And here I was thinking that I was protecting my ranged and siege units from city return fire when I was giving that promotion to them... Blargh.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vicevirtuoso posted:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12835745&postcount=2

From the modder who is probably more familiar with the core .dll than Firaxis is.

Dunno, I just find it weird 'cause it didn't mesh with what I had right in front of me. I respect WHoward and he knows infinitely more than I do so basically :psyduck:.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Next update being recorded/written. It feels good.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I've never played CiV multiplayer. Should I be bashing my head against a solid object or congratulating myself?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Blasphemaster posted:

I've never played CiV multiplayer. Should I be bashing my head against a solid object or congratulating myself?

It's actually pretty fun. I'd honestly say it's better than playing against the AIs. There's a Goon Civ group on Steam if you want to try it out: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 41: Maria's True Face

So, we weren't the future-most of everyone here…

I wonder how far ahead of us history stretches… plus, being called a bloodthirsty maniac and admired for it by a guy from the future is… it's really making me rethink things. *Sigh.* So, what's our status?

Neo-america is toast and we're turning their swords into plowshares. The Romans were pretty happy to regain some territory, though they're still pretty sore at us. Right now, I think we need to expand our naval forces. If we want anything to do with the countries on the other side of the world, we'll need to be ready for them.

Yeah. At the least, it's good to keep the drat pirates off our shipping lines. They've been giving us some trouble.

Hmph. So, it seems you are indeed a snake after all! Washington was an honorable man, you are a fiend for destroying him!

Hey! He was secretly my evil clone from the future!

Hah! I've heard that one before! Good day, sir!

drat…

"Washington" had a lot of friends, this won't look good to the world at large.

We'll be hunted…

Militaires Sans Frontiers, the earth-moving king is a danger to my people. I see now you are not afraid to soak your hands in blood. Join me in wiping him out! If you will not be paid in money, perhaps this will satisfy your craving for violence.

The Boss isn't in right now, your eminence, and frankly our navy is under-equipped and out of range of Inca land. We're not in a good position to help you out with the fight. Fortunately, MSF also specializes in logistics and planning. Even if we don't send physical troops we can cut a deal to support you during your war!

Hmph. I see. I suppose it's better than nothing.

(Logicstics? Strategies?!)

(We'll send him some napkins and chalkboards with football strategies written on 'em.)

Cusco and its mineral wealth belongs to ME!

GAAAH! drat YOU!!!!!! I'll bury you allll!

drat. Guess we really don't need to worry about the Incas after all.

Finally, efficient guns. The old ones were mere noise-makers compared to these beauties! Our fighting men and warrior women will be quite deadly now!

Nobunaga, things are only going to get weirder from here. The more we rebuild the future, the further and further from your era we'll get and the stranger the world will appear. Are you sure you still want to hang with us?

Never more sure in my entire life. Once, I laughed at the notion of so many things you consider commonplace. No more.

We need to make our navy stronger and faster--do I have to put it in writing? Exploring this world, expanding our naval trade, whatever it takes--sea power is the real power.

…I have come back from a world beyond death to serve you…

Heya, Frank! I was hoping you'd show up! EVA's still taking it easy back at the base after being captured by Solidus, I need to send you out on a special mission. But no more beheadings! At least, not THIS time.

What are you looking at? No, you can't borrow my swords! All three of these magic high-frequency swords are MINE!

Snake, my code name may be Iguana, but underneath this mask I'm really Norihiko Hibino!

And I'm Cynthia Harrel! And we'd like to sing a little song to you, about you! We call it "Snake Eater!"

I'm liking the sound of this…

Turkish Lancers? Sure, I guess you can join…we're kind of phasing out lances, though…

What…what the hell are you!?! This is…this is…a nightmare!!!

A nightmare…yes. Perhaps it is.

How the hell are the Babylonians kicking so much rear end? They're one of the world's oldest civilizations, they shouldn't be so cutting-edge.

Something's up.

We're kind of late to the draw but we blew away all of the pirates attacking our international trade routes! The seas are free again!

Wonderful! Snake! You and your men…and women, of course… you all need to dine with me since you're in the area. I insist!

Sure thing! Woof, there's a lot of snow in the air around here…weird.

Atchooo! That's not snow, that's pollen. Gah, my allergies…

Uhh…your highness…important question. Are you Maria the First, or Maria the Educator?

Excuse me? Maria the First, of course.

Okay.

(Snake, can you hear me?)

(What is it?! It's not polite to talk on the earphone radio when you're about to sit down for dinner.)

(How many people are with you at the table? How many MSF troops?)

(Bout a dozen of my best, Maria's honor guard, the guys around the castle…)

(Snake, that's not Maria. I don't know who she is, but it's another impostor. Maria wouldn't call herself the first if she was the first, and secondly, Maria I was seriously, dangerously mentally ill. Whoever this is, it's not her!)

Oh, no…

Something the matter, Big Boss?

Ummm…

I'm sending in the fleets to extract you! Get out of there!

Is there a problem? Come…let's talk… right now…

Snake, she's backstabbing us! Get out of there!

Next time: Maria Boss Fight

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I'd only play against people who know what they're doing, and have the time to do it.

Multiplayer Civ is a completely different beast due to people either not ending their turns (turn timers is a MUST) and all around just smarter play. You're not playing against AI's who don't know combat, you're playing against real thinking things. War is much riskier, and they're going for the same good plays you're going for.

For these reasons, the games also quickly get ruined if say, one of the 6 people playing says, "gently caress it" and bails. Instantly whoever happened to spawn closest to them gets a free punching bag to take over and becomes that much stronger. Same if somebody just happens to disconnect from the game because, although they can rejoin, loading them back in takes aaaaages in my experience.

That said, if you can get a competent group of friends playing, it can be really fun. Especially the last 30 or so turns where it gets tense.

E: Oh poo poo updates!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I really like your Nobunaga. He'd be all over experiencing strange and unfamiliar things from future centuries (and trying to come up with new applications for them). He's probably in heaven right now exploring Mother Base.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Can we hire Gillian Seed as a spy?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lord Justice posted:

It's actually pretty fun. I'd honestly say it's better than playing against the AIs. There's a Goon Civ group on Steam if you want to try it out: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

I've only played Multiplayer with friends in the same room as a LAN or over the Internet, with all of us on the same team beating up on AI teams, which is pretty fun as well. Easier since everyone is in the same room, so we can give each other advice and tell each other to hurry up if a turn is taking too long. Beating up on AIs is pretty easy though, especially when there's two or three of us on that same side.

However, I tend to play a technological game, and my friends seem to be more militarily inclined, so they sometimes drag me into wars when I'm not ready, since when one member of a team declares war on another team, all members of that team are at war with all members of the other team. So if AI declares war on one of my friends, I'm now at war with every Civ on that AI's team, sometimes putting me at war with a Civ I was trying to cozy up to or something, or with my army out of position near a formerly peaceful Civ that is now at war with me because someone on their team declared war.

Also, we tend not to race for the same Wonders, discussing which Wonders each of us want to get before we start on them. What's weird is that you still get the "Another Civ has built a Wonder message" along with the sound effect if someone on your team builds a Wonder. Not sure if the effects of the Wonder is shared amongst the team, but I'm guessing not. I go for Wonders that suit my playstyle and the others go for Wonders that suit theirs so usually there's no real overlap, but we can usually talk it out if more than one person wants a specific Wonder.

We collaborate on tech, since technology costs are increased by the number of Civs in a team and the team pools science amongst all Civs towards that goal. We tell each other which tech we want to go for and decide whether or not to work together to get the tech in question faster or branch out to get more techs at the same time, or a mix of the two depending on the circumstances. We also have to decide who goes for a religion and if they'll spread it to all of us or if we can each go for an individual one. We also share maps, so we can see where everyone on the team is and what's going around with them. Although that can get a bit annoying with the snap to combat stuff that happens when you're doing your own moves, so be sure to turn on Quick Combat, even if you do like watching the little combat animations, since they'll definitely mess you or your teammate up when one of you is telling a unit to move and all of a sudden your screen is pulled across the map to watch some fighting going on involving a teammate's units and you don't even have something to do with it, but your cursor stays in the same spot and now you're sending a unit halfway across the world.

Still, it is very fun to do, although it can get a but hard to get everyone together again in the same room to start up the game again after one session and then saving it. We have so many abandoned games because of this...

Sum Mors posted:

I'd only play against people who know what they're doing, and have the time to do it.

Multiplayer Civ is a completely different beast due to people either not ending their turns (turn timers is a MUST) and all around just smarter play. You're not playing against AI's who don't know combat, you're playing against real thinking things. War is much riskier, and they're going for the same good plays you're going for.

For these reasons, the games also quickly get ruined if say, one of the 6 people playing says, "gently caress it" and bails. Instantly whoever happened to spawn closest to them gets a free punching bag to take over and becomes that much stronger. Same if somebody just happens to disconnect from the game because, although they can rejoin, loading them back in takes aaaaages in my experience.

That said, if you can get a competent group of friends playing, it can be really fun. Especially the last 30 or so turns where it gets tense.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my thoughts, albeit without teams involved. I also hate it when someone disconnects for some reason and then we have to wait for them to reconnect. We learned really quickly not to advance the turn when they're away because then their Civ is run by the AI and they tend to make stupid decisions. Happened to me once, when I once restarted the game to try and get rid of some graphical glitches that popped up when I Alt-Tab'd the game to check out some stuff online while waiting for a friend to complete his turn, and when I joined again, the AI had given away all my gold as well as GPT, putting me into a deficit when I was saving up, in a trade deal to another Civ on another team who I was trying to have nothing to do with for a Luxury Resource, even though my Happiness was in the low to mid single digits, which is perfectly healthy for my playstyle. Also got random disconnects sometimes when we are playing online and someone has a bad connection or the LAN setup is poor, so it happens more often than I want. Also, sometimes the game just restarts and everyone has to reconnect to the host again when the host's connection messes up in some way, so everyone has to deal with another loading screen and wait.

Never played to the endgame, though. Games tend to peter out once we get to Gunpowder units or right before that, depending on the time we start playing. Wish we could actually finish a game or get back to one we've started, but my friends and I can never really get all of our schedules to work out for that to happen, with all of us together at the same time and place and enough free time to finish out the game before one of us has to leave again.

Joined the Goon Civ group though. Hopefully, I can get a good game going then and actually finish one with Goons this time instead of my friends.

Also, update!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, if it isn't Maria, who is it? Seems like this game is full of people who aren't who they say they are. Pity for Snake that its likely that its the real Vlad. But then again, if its the real Vlad, he isn't a vampire.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Oh I really hope that Vlad's civ is literally the only civ friendly to you at the end of this. It'd be glorious.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

grandalt posted:

Well, if it isn't Maria, who is it?

She's a Snatcher. That part about the "snow" was a full scale reference to the SNOW-9 pollen. I find myself equal parts :allears: and :suspense: to see this fight now.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 17, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, I've never seen that "Backstabbed X" notifier in diplomacy before. What actually happened there?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

GhostStalker posted:

Multiplayer stories

Yeah, I've also run into similar issues with the multiplayer. The game is really not stable in regards to keeping things online. The AI stuff is especially stupid, as it can take your turn or finish your turn if you disconnect before you do anything or are in the middle of your turn. I believe Civ 4 allowed people to vote on whether to wait for someone to be AIed, not sure why they took that out. The best way is to keep save backups as much as possible, which isn't exactly with Civ's awful saving interfacing. Like not allowing you to move the text position cursor with the mouse so you need to use the arrow keys to move to one side, then delete the default name.

That said, I am running a game through the Goon Civ group, with a couple rules to hopefully help speed things up. Even still, games do take forever, and it's kind of impossible to complete a game in one sitting unless you want to be sitting there all day. So we split things up into 4 hour ish blocks per week, and hope people show up. If they don't, they're AIed. It's not a perfect solution, but it does allow the people who do show up to play. People can also take over AI slots if they're showing up in the middle of a game and didn't show up at the start as well. Which, while not great, allows people to play. It's a challenge if nothing else.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Huh, I've never seen that "Backstabbed X" notifier in diplomacy before. What actually happened there?

That's when someone who declared friendship with you later denounces you.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Derek Barona posted:

She's a Snatcher. That part about the "snow" was a full scale reference to the SNOW-9 pollen. I find myself equal parts :allears: and :suspense: to see this fight now.

Snatcher is...semi-canonical in the Metal Gear universe, as well, which makes it even more fitting.

It's a shame it wasn't Catherine, though. I mean, listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXbSLqRdQq4

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Oh my god Speedball, if you cross Snatcher into this LP I will lose it.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
God damnit, it has to be a Snatcher... If Gillian Seed becomes a spy :allears:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

Sure thing! Woof, there's a lot of snow in the air around here…weird.

Atchooo! That's not snow, that's pollen. Gah, my allergies…

Oh man, Snake and them are in deep poo poo. poo poo that needs solving.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I really like your Nobunaga. He'd be all over experiencing strange and unfamiliar things from future centuries (and trying to come up with new applications for them). He's probably in heaven right now exploring Mother Base.

Yeah, he's really well written. I'm glad you didn't kill him off. Too bad you couldn't do that with Caesar or Solidus Snake, but I guess the former would never stoop to working with someone else over him, and the latter wouldn't really fit the narrative you have going on here so far. And I guess you can only have one enemy Civ leader join MSF, like Genghis did last time around.

Grey Fox showing up as a spy again, which was cool, along with the callback Snake had with him. Also, the Snake Eater Great Musician was inspired, though I'm sad it can't actually be represented in game.

Looks like Vlad won't need your help against Pachacuti there, since Babylon kicked Inca rear end. Looks like he'll be out of the game sooner rather than later, though it also looks like the Inca and Babylonians made peace in the same screenshot where you showed how far into Inca territory the Babylonians had gone.

Also, what choice did you pick with that diplomacy option with Vlad anyway? "Give us 10 turns to prepare?" or did you declare war right away? Since it seems like he responded favorably to it, whatever it was.

Lastly, backstab by Maria! Wonder what she thinks she can do against you militarily, but she does have Snake in her grasp in the narrative with him sitting down to dinner with her. Can't wait to see where you're going to go with this boss fight.

Hmm, why would Kaz pick up on the fact that Maria called herself "the First", anyway? Shouldn't the first ruler of a country with a name style herself "the First"? Or would they just call themselves by just their own name since they don't know if another ruler with the same name is going to come after them and then style themselves "the Second"?

In my experience, Maria hasn't really been all that crazy in her Civ incarnation in the games I've played with her in them. Granted, she's only been in two of my games, and she was pretty much a non-factor in one of them, getting beaten into irrelevance by Arabia almost immediately after I met her, losing her capital and second largest city to them in a series of wars, having others burnt down during those wars and retaining like only one small city on another continent than me which was pretty poorly situated.

In my most recent Alexander game that I just finished yesterday though, I was on the same continent as her, only like 2 Civs away with Siam as a buffer between us. She tended to be friendly all throughout the game, giving me Friendship declarations even as I was close to winning the game in a Science Victory, even after Siam turned against me at the same time because of my closeness to victory plus my large army that was up on my border with Carthage. She never went against me, but I guess being pretty much one of the second weakest remaining Civs in the game didn't really help and she wanted a protector. She had lost a newly founded and poorly situated city on another continent, like right next to what was Assyrian territory but had been conquered by the Zulus and Poland shortly before without any sea access and had it burned down relatively late in the game, and had lost a city she had settled on the coast next to Siamese territory away from her own earlier in game. She settled another city on the coast of the Zulus late in the game, who had become the second most powerful Civ in the game after me, with poor resources and was losing that to them as well before Shaka peaced out since he was also fighting the remains of Assyria, who were squatting in the two cities he had taken from Monty to eliminate him, before losing one to Poland. Shaka instead used Great Generals to snatch up all the tiles around the city, leaving her with only the city tile itself and sea access, no other land tiles. She also was losing a war to Carthage, the third weakest Civ left in the game after I took their capital, as the game was ending, losing her second city and getting it burned down after Dido settled a city away from her remaining cities on Maria's coast and was close to losing her own capital before being able to successfully defend it right before I hosed off to Alpha Centauri. Guess she wanted someone to protect her and knew that I hated Dido, and was pretty ambivalent about Shaka, so she tried to cozy up to me, but I didn't care to use my army to help her. Still, she was friendly from the start of the game too, so I dunno.

What response did you chose to her prompt about moving your army into position near her territory? I assume you said that you were just passing through, since she was the one who backstabbed you and not the other way around, so you couldn't have declared war at that time, right?

If Maria really is a Snatcher, like a bunch of people here have said, then it all makes sense, even if I'm not really sure what that game was all about. I know the barebones of it, and the fact that it was developed by Kojima when he wasn't working on Metal Gear stuff, but not much more on top of that. Nice way to spin the narrative, though. Can't wait to see where you go from here.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 17, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GhostStalker posted:

In my experience, Maria hasn't really been all that crazy in her Civ incarnation in the games I've played with her in them. Granted, she's only been in two of my games, and she was pretty much a non-factor in one of them, getting beaten into irrelevance by Arabia almost immediately after I met her, losing her capital and second largest city to them in a series of wars, having others burnt down and retaining like only one small city on another continent than me which was pretty poorly situated.

She was crazy IRL.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
This is just some grand scheme by Speedball to have every other Konami IP crossed over with MGS/Civ 5 isn't it?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, he's really well written. I'm glad you didn't kill him off. Too bad you couldn't do that with Caesar or Solidus Snake, but I guess the former would never stoop to working with someone else over him, and the latter wouldn't really fit the narrative you have going on here so far. And I guess you can only have one enemy Civ leader join MSF, like Genghis did last time around.

I wouldn't be so sure about Augustus' willingness to serve under others. I mean, he didn't do much of it, but he was actually coequal partners with Antony for a long time and it was only Antony's increasingly obvious attempts to build an eastern empire around Ptolemaic Egypt that really ruined the balance of power there. (And, on a slightly more personal level, Antony spurning Augustus' beloved sister Octavia for Cleopatra).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

my dad posted:

She was crazy IRL.

I know that much from this thread, but I meant to say that I haven't really seen it represented in game, besides maybe some dialogue that comes up sometimes when you meet her and interact diplomatically with Portugal.

Patter Song posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about Augustus' willingness to serve under others. I mean, he didn't do much of it, but he was actually coequal partners with Antony for a long time and it was only Antony's increasingly obvious attempts to build an eastern empire around Ptolemaic Egypt that really ruined the balance of power there. (And, on a slightly more personal level, Antony spurning Augustus' beloved sister Octavia for Cleopatra).

Fair enough, I only wanted to state a possible reason why Speedball didn't have Augustus cooperate with Snake the way Oda is doing here now, though the way he wrote Caesar, joining up doesn't seem like an option that he considered was possible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

This is just some grand scheme by Speedball to have every other Konami IP crossed over with MGS/Civ 5 isn't it?

This makes me hope the end game just ends up being ZotE.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

LEGO Genetics posted:

I don't know how Suikoden would end up in here...but then everyone forgets about Suikoden. Even Konami.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hunter Noventa posted:

I don't know how Suikoden would end up in here...but then everyone forgets about Suikoden. Even Konami.

I can imagine gathering a bunch of key characters from all over history/Konami is the key to getting Snake out of the timeloop. Only with every star of destiny do you somehow magic your way into the best ending!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Ghostwoods posted:

So let's see if I'm getting this right.

In the MGS games, there's a guy who's your CO, and then your enemy, and then you. He's nicknamed Big Boss, because he killed a woman called just plain Boss -- which must make me Big Chicken Nuggets -- and he's the viewpoint of this LP. Plus he's Naked Snake, which frankly sounds like a Flasher Handle. (What? If hackers can have handles, why not flashers?) Then there's a guy who's you most of the time, except when he isn't, and he's a partial clone of Big Boss called Solid Snake, and when people just say "Snake", that's usually who they mean -- except when they're talking about Snake "I heard you were dead!" Plisskin, of course, who is the cause of all this malarkey. And there's a third guy who's also a partial clone of Big Boss, called Liquid Snake, and you're never him because he's just a douche. Ack, not literally. And sometimes he electromagically possesses your kinda-friendly gunslinger. Then there's a fourth guy -- a third clone -- called Solidus Snake, because I guess Plasma Snake and Gassy Snake were already both taken or something, and he is (or was) the President of the USA, and you're never him at all, even though he sometimes pretends to be Solid Snake, but you are sometimes his adopted son, who's named after a thunder god.

Okay. :psylon:

I'm catching up on the thread and this is a few pages back but I had to quote it.

As someone who's only played Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge and Metal Gear Solid, this simultaneously made me laugh out loud, convinced me to never buy the rest of the games and left a desire to find decent (preferably screenshot because of the cutscenes) LPs of the rest of the series.

:golfclap:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Snake Eater theme. :allears:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

LEGO Genetics posted:

Retard me started thinking about how he'd go about putting Castlevania in. :downs:

Makes me think of when Psycho Mantis read my memory card and started telling me about my other Konami games at the time.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

LEGO Genetics posted:

PACHACUTI! Show yourself!

A single light illuminates the dark hallway. The shaded form of the Incan monarch stands with both hands behind his back.

Snake. You are one of the most peculiar Pachacuti I have ever met. But that is a great thing. I have a most peculiar way of settling our differences which I have always wanted to try. That arrogant Babylonian bastard refused to indulge me in this means of combat...but perhaps you will.

What the hell are you going on about?!

Suddenly, the single light is joined by a multitude of colored, strobing lights, all from a structure placed in the center of the room. A large, bright screen flashes vibrant colors while its speakers blare out fast-paced music. In front of those speakers and that screen lied a platform on which Pachacuti stood, with two distinct halves. Each half contained four panels, each with an arrow pointing in a different direction.

Snake...let's dance.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Incans held annual dance-offs to determine who would lead them in the following year.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Vicevirtuoso posted:

A single light illuminates the dark hallway. The shaded form of the Incan monarch stands with both hands behind his back.

Snake. You are one of the most peculiar Pachacuti I have ever met. But that is a great thing. I have a most peculiar way of settling our differences which I have always wanted to try. That arrogant Babylonian bastard refused to indulge me in this means of combat...but perhaps you will.

Suddenly, the single light is joined by a multitude of colored, strobing lights, all from a structure placed in the center of the room. A large, bright screen flashes vibrant colors while its speakers blare out fast-paced music. In front of those speakers and that screen lied a platform on which Pachacuti stood, with two distinct halves. Each half contained four panels, each with an arrow pointing in a different direction.

Snake...let's dance.

Dance!

Or DIE!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Valiantman posted:

I'm catching up on the thread and this is a few pages back but I had to quote it.

As someone who's only played Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge and Metal Gear Solid, this simultaneously made me laugh out loud, convinced me to never buy the rest of the games and left a desire to find decent (preferably screenshot because of the cutscenes) LPs of the rest of the series.

:golfclap:

Your guide to everything MGS, in LP format.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Snake...let's dance.

I would totally watch something like that. Someone make this happen!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

quote:

The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.

Sister Miriam Godwinson, "A Blessed Struggle"

quote:

Have we researched planet crackers yet?

Everyone else on Planet

Anyone who played SMAC knows full well that the best way to deal with Miriam was just to remove her. She was annoying, she was aggressive, and her faction trait was that for the first several turns she literally gains zero research points and then has a permanent research penalty afterwards. Which meant the AI playing her almost always fell laughably far behind yet still kept sending you death threats and ultimatums.

Sister Miriam Godwinson and her Believers were the Kim Jung Un and North Korea of Planet. Only there's no power bloc like China next door giving the Believers a nice diplomatic umbrella to hide under.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Alkydere posted:

Anyone who played SMAC knows full well that the best way to deal with Miriam was just to remove her. She was annoying, she was aggressive, and her faction trait was that for the first several turns she literally gains zero research points and then has a permanent research penalty afterwards. Which meant the AI playing her almost always fell laughably far behind yet still kept sending you death threats and ultimatums.

Sister Miriam Godwinson and her Believers were the Kim Jung Un and North Korea of Planet. Only there's no power bloc like China next door giving the Believers a nice diplomatic umbrella to hide under.

Or she murders the Spartans in 30 turns and steals the everloving poo poo out of everyone else's tech like she did in one of my games, ending up being a serious threat to me throughout the game. Her problem is that the AI isn't really geared towards the playstyle you need to have in order to succeed with the believers, so most of the time she ends up being pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Only there's no power bloc like China next door giving the Believers a nice diplomatic umbrella to hide under.

What, you don't like having a pet attack dog?

• Locked thread