Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Alt-Anna should never be allowed to meet Anna Classic. It'd be like matter and anti-matter.

(Alt-Storms is the third lamest Gundam Fighter :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
...is that a step up or step down from regular Storms?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I should have a post up in...the next 48 hours or so, finger has been getting better.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well, it never hurts to ask.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Obv while I have no prob continuing with the plot OOC, and while storms has no problems with a little pro bono work on occasion (esp the sort that saves himself from cosmic annihilation/reboot, I was wondering if I could get our next plothook in the form of a money-making opportunity. He ain't exactly salaried like most of the other PCs, nor does he have Anna's noir P.I. ability of sustaining an income free existence consisting of eating nothing but alcohol, nicotine, and bullets.

I was wondering if this next arc was going to be small scale investigation (and I have no problem with that), or if I could try to make this more proactive and larger scale.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Depends what you mean by larger scale. If you want a large-scale investigation of Kurokami you can coordinate with Trigger Warning and Privilege Threshold even, I am totally okay with everyone deciding to have their characters decide things that just happen to benefit everybody.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Can I not actually help Juliana or should I sit and let Kelly fix her?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Sorry for being dead, I got really sick.

What'd I miss in Trainseldritch?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Some plans to investigate this weird anime poo poo some more, ridiculous banter and Naomi joined the group. Naomi can probably fix up everyone's files in a day or so. I'm waiting for a post from everyone describing what they actually do with their day in Seattle.

That but stretched out over a page and a half.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

About one page.

But basically a lot of talking about manga, Kelly running off for a bit, Juliana getting hacked briefly. You can follow from Ettin's last post really, that's the most important thing to address right now.

e:f;b.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Glad to hear you're doing better.

1). Some phone calls confirmed that the "alternate Nazi reality" documents are a result of the botched ritual trying to change reality and failing. They were inserted into our reality a retroactive month ago because in the Nazi reality that's when those alert notices would have been posted. It's weird magic/time fuckery basically.

1.1). But we're still in the real, un-Nazified reality, it's not all a big trick. Some other, bigger things may have slipped through the cracks, though.

2). So for the moment we're on a bunch of watchlists because none of these three-letter-agencies know what the gently caress, but Naomi is working on fixing all this. Except it'll probably take her at least a day, during which we're stuck in Seattle because all our IDs are red-flagged like woah.

3). Naomi and Juliana hacked/eavesdropped on a chat conversation Kelly was having with a ~mysterious third party~ who sounds suspiciously like a Shinigami. When Juliana questioned her about this, Kelly panicked and bluescreened Juliana's body. It was pretty funny.

3.1) Oh and Ando gave Naomi a contract written on a roll of one-ply, that happened too.

4). The big important thing is that we're all in Seattle for a day and right now Ettin wants a post from everyone detailing what they get up to. Nobody's really kicking down the doors with guns looking to arrest us so you don't have to worry about the 5-0 pulling you over (I think). Shiro's looking to see what mystic secrets Seattle might hold and also poking around into the matter of her master's murder, Juliana's getting some corporate backing in her pocket, Naomi is doing her hacker thing, Storms is hustling, and Ando's being Ando.

e; beaten twice but I have so many more words to share, I declare mine a moral victory.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Christ, guys. We just stole somebody's blood and we're summoning the devil. You nerds are weird.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I had intended to get a post up today, but poo poo keeps coming up. Will get one up tomorrow.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I am going to be without electricity for the next day-ish. PT better be all posted up by then :argh:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I am in the process of getting my rear end kicked by an ice storm so I may not reply for a while depending on whether I lose power.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Let me know when you get on IRC Kai Tave, need to run something by you. (I should really get plat at this point.)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

For the record; gently caress snow forever

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ando:

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
ExoCute: Leveraging Dreamlands Solutions since just now.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Only True Thread folks: Should I punch things or should I go for placing something helpful?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Either could be useful, though I think we should be trying to place at least two advantages each turn, so Da'ud has stuff to invoke on defends. On the other hand, taking down attackers quickly means he doesn't have to defend as often.

I think this would be a good round to throw down a lot of advantages though, since most of the earlier ones got burned already and most of the opponents don't have much damage on them. Setting up for some heavy hits to try and knock out one of them next round would probably be the best way to go, especially if you can get some bonus invokes off successes with style.

I'm going to try and avoid invoking any aspects while I'm fighting Tsurugi here, barring any boosts I can gin up, but I can't really absorb consequences with my stress track gone. Hopefully I can knock him out quickly, been rolling solid attacks, and then I'll help place advantages.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, that's basically what I've been pondering. I feel like my choice really boils down to two options:

(A) Place advantages to help cushion the focus track, or

(B) Help you beat the crap out of Tsurugi.

I don't think anyone else is in real danger right now.

You want help or you wanna keep it cinematic and fight him one on one?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I kind of want to take him one on one if I can!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
For what it's worth, I (finally!) have mechanics on Limit Break, so I'm ready to soak any consequences that hit the focus track. Probably be better for Arthur to stay off the front lines next chapter, though! :v:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm probably just going to kick an advantage towards Da'ud. Maxi's toughness doesn't really help here, and I can't seem to do more than graze the bastards.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

have you tried eating a live orphan about it

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Good thinking. I spend a fate point to manifest a suitable orphan.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Big Mina and Da'ud at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aBP-JOZsU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Speaking of Da'ud, where is Mors Rattus? We're waiting on you!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Speaking of Da'ud, where is Mors Rattus? We're waiting on you!

I will get a post up by Wednesday! Sorry, these past two weeks have been unexpectedly hellish for internet stuff, between family visits, my ill-advised decision to begin an LP just before the ystarted and my little brother's birthday party this weekend.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

IGNORE ME

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So Ettin asked someone from Transeldritch to briefly summarize some Happenings that have been going on in Miami Seattle as we look into the defunct store Sleeping With the Anime. The relevant posts start here and include the following:

-A world map with various points highlighted, including Miami, Dubai, and Shanghai. WHAT COULD IT MEAN?

-A creepy wall full of pictures of cosplay maid and butlers with X's over all of them except for one Mizuki Hoshikuma, currently attending college in Shanghai.

-Some wiki poo poo for nerds, I dunno, I didn't really read it.

-A list of names that he assures me are totally common and contain no hidden puns or something like that.

Why did he ask someone to share this with everybody? :iiam:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hey guys. There's been a lot of discussion over if we should or could swap from DFRPG as a base to Fate Core as a base. Currently in my Dresden Files threads I've got a pretty solid set of house-rules and fixes that even out the power level of wizards to non-wizards, and fix things like 'Block' not really working at all in Core.

Ettin asked me to post my updated DFRPG ruleset in here to see if you guys like the idea. It means you don't have to redo your character if they were a caster! It does lower the maxiumum damage cap (which is needed, be honest), but it gives much more solid defensive options and balances cast shields vs. shield items. It also cleans up weapon damage a bit, making it work properly with Success With Style.

DFRPG 2.0, Now With Fate Core! posted:

OK, FATE core is out and it has a lot of good simplified mechanics in it. We are going to shamelessly lift some of those, and some of the terminology that goes with them.

TERMS TO KNOW:
Boost -fragile one use aspect.
Succeed with Style -succeed roll by +3 or more
"Free Invocation" -This is a tag. I'm gonna keep use tag instead of typing that poo poo.

First off, we're going to adopt the entirety of Chapter 6: Actions and Outcomes because it makes things super easy for me and super clear for you. This means your available actions are now as follows:

1) Overcome Obstacle: Rolling against a set difficulty to accomplish something like movement or other non-combat actions.

-Fail roll means you fail! Or succeed at a high cost and I make it interesting.
-Tie mean you succeeded but kinda sucked.
-Succeed means you do what you were trying to do.
-Succeed with Style gives you success plus a boost.

2) Create Advantage: AKA Manuevers, Declarations, and Assessments made easy. Any time you want to create aspects. Declarations not taking any in game turn is gone, that was kinda overpowered and we all know it.

-Fail roll means you get nothing! Environmental aspect attempts might still stick around with no tag if they're logical.
-Tie gives you a boost (fragile.)
-Success gives you an aspect with one tag.
-Success with style gives you an aspect with TWO tags. (nice!)

You can also use Create Advantage on an Aspect that is hidden or already in play, in which case:

-Fail means you get nada and GM can keep the secret aspect secret. You can still invoke it for a FP if you fail.
-Tie OR Success means adding a tag to the aspect.
-Success with Style means adding TWO free tags to the aspect.

3) Attack!: When you attack someone and/or thing.

-Fail roll means you do no damage.
-Tie means you don't cause any harm BUT you gain a boost.
**GM ruling: Since Weapon Damage in DFRPG already rewards ties, you only gain the boost IF you inflicted no stress on your tie.
-Success mean you hit and cause stress, you know the drill.
-Sucess with style means you hit and cause stress BUT you can also reduce the value of your hit by 1 and gain a boost.

4) Defend!: When you defend yourself from any of the above.

-Fail means you get hit with whatever it was.
-Tie grants your opponent a boost (note: same boost from the attack section.)
-Success means you avoided whatever it was.
-Success with style means you avoided it AND gained a boost.

I really like this new system because it means we're going to see a lot less flat attacking and a lot more scene aspects and movement and spellwork. It's also got a much more interesting system with how ties and overkill rolls are handled, and should be a lot of fun.

Regarding SHIELDS:

Shields become Create Advantage actions. When you cast a shield, it creates an aspect "Shielded". This aspect can be Overcome as normal, (with excess shifts taken as stress if the damage overcomes the shield.) A Shielded character must drop their shield if they wish to take any action besides a single zone supplemental movement. A shield may be cast as a reflexive action, but this consumes the free tag that creating the advantage would have otherwise generated. Reflexive shields must be activated instead of a regular defense roll. You can no longer roll Athletics and then fall back on a shield if you fail.

Duration has been removed as a game concept. All aspects, created by magic or not, last until they are removed from the scene (or used, in the case of boosts.)

Regarding EVOCATION:

"Overcharging" your spells (casting more shifts than your Conviction) now requires you to take a second hit on the Mental Stress bar equal to the amount of the overcharge, similar to taking Backlash. More power now means less power later.

Regarding MAGIC ITEMS:

Focus Items are gone as a concept. Refund their costs and beef up your enchanted items or potion slots. The +5 skill cap should apply to wizards too, and Focus Items are boring stat sticks people rarely mention in their posts. Enchanted items/potions are exciting and detailed effects that affect the story, your +1 Offensive Fire Staff just isn't.

Thaumaturgy Focus items are still allowable on a case-by-case basis, as long as they aren't combat related.

Regarding MAGIC SPECIALIZATIONS:

Specializations are now limited to +1 in any given stat. No more mini-skill tree. Take new evocation schools or bonuses in your lesser used elements, get better at new kinda of thaumaturgy. Right now there's too much benefit to just buying one thing over and over, and that makes things stale.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
^ Come on guys, thoughts? :colbert: ^

Also expect posting on the weekend, probably, a lot of games needed megaposts lately and I keep being busy when it's TE's turn. :negative:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My main thought: being a wizard cost me literally all of my Refresh. Now, while I appreciate that it still gives me a lot of fluff ways to create advantages, with the drastically lowered offensive abilities and the fact that it now provides only a new fluff way to create advantages that can, rarely, be used twice instead of once - since, remember, I have no Refresh and so I can't really activate aspects except when they're free - I kind of feel like being a wizard is, uh...not worth all the refresh it costs?

Like if you can explain to me how it's still worth that that'd be nice. Because I'm not seeing it?

I do agree that magic is pretty overpowered offensively and not worth much defensively, just...I also feel like I'd really like to get the bang for my buck that all of my Refresh is worth.

I also don't really see why the Shielded aspect needs a drawback to what you can do because...it's an aspect like any other and doesn't provide any special benefits once the free invokes are gone. A wizard is barely ever able to use aspects when they aren't freely invokable.

E: Especially since as far as I can tell the mental stress costs are still in. (And, in fact, have gone up.) So I still have limited use of my magic, but my magic can now not really do anything that any other combat skill can't, except that I have more flexibility in terms of what my aspects represent. Oh, and I can only do it four times, total, including defending myself from being shot. Less, if I want to overcharge, since I take two stress hits from that even if I can control it!

Which tends to involve big numbers! Ettin's bad guys tend to have pretty goddamn big numbers, such that if I can't use my big combat skill to defend - the same way any other combatant would - I am pretty much gonna get torn apart, because I had to spend all my Refresh and all of my skills on being half-decent at magic without my focus item, which is now gone, so I'm just half-decent.

Whereas someone who's really good at fighting can still be really good at fighting, have a few stunts and have three times as much Refresh as I do, all without having to spend stress to fight.

e2: I already don't defend with magic, as a note - I run and hide in terror with my Athletics +2 and have, in the past, relied pretty much entirely on overwhelming offense and the rest of the party to not get torn to shreds. Defensively I kind of suck because using magic to defend costs stress, and since magic takes up so many of my skill points I am good at literally nothing else except nerding.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 17, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

1: Thaumaturgy, which is the actual point of being a Wizard (as in, the powerful and interesting stuff that is not just 'I cast Fireball') is completely unchanged.

2: Refunding the focus item gives you I want to say 4 more magic item slots? I'd have to look. Magic items under the new system are actually extremely powerful since duration has been removed as a concept you can put all their shifts into effect. They don't cost stress to cast on their first use. You can have quite a lot of them, and if your lore is decent they are individually very strong. If you don't have a shield item already you can use your new item slots to make one!

3: Evocation is balls-crazy stupid damage as written. You can very easily make a wizard who rolls +7-8 on the dice when the usual HARD CAP is +5, and that's before overcharge comes into the mix which can up weapon damage values to 8 or more, and then invoke past that if you want to. Your refresh might be low but if you feel starved for FP you need to be asking for or accepting more compels, you should have 2-3 going into any major battle. The removal of Focus Items and the nerf to Overcharge brings evocation damage down to like +6 on the dice and 5 weapon damage, 4 weapon damage if you skimped on Conviction. That is STILL higher than anyone else. And you CAN bump the weapon damage (in fact you can bump it one higher than you could previously, since you can up it by +4 instead of +3 when you double up) but it costs the additional stress box- so it has a real opportunity cost if you want to nuke something straight to hell. I'm not saying that it isn't a nerf to evocation, because it is. But maybe now Ettin won't have to make enemies so tough because you won't be hitting their Moderate Consequence on the first hit without even trying.

4: The shielding change is actually a huge buff to shields. Under the current system a shield must be pre-cast, it cannot be used reflexively at ALL, and if you want it to last more than a single turn you have to put shifts into duration. So you end up with a strong shield that might not even get used or a weak shield that might last a few turns. The new shield is an aspect, which means you can cast your shield reflexively, and hold onto it for as long as you like, you just can't do anything else until you drop the shield. (So if someone is beating your face in, you cast Shield, and then you don't have to pay for it if you hold it for 2 or 3 turns. It's active until you drop it.) It's basically a Full-Defense (even better for your guy, since you can do more than +2 shifts up from your athletics.) And you can activate it when you need it. Previously, shield ITEMS could be used reflexively for *reasons no one can explain* but a regular cast shield could not. I wanted to smooth out the difference between items and cast shields, while also making shields something you WANT to cast.

5: 'I defend myself by killing everything in 2 turns' isn't really defensible as a concept, and especially with Ntech, having one person who can do literally double the damage of another person just because they have evocation feels bad. My character abuses evocation too so it's a direct nerf to Shiro but it does mean Ettin has a lot more design space to work with when he doesn't have to worry about a 16 stress attack coming out of a character on the first round of combat.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 17, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Maybe my experience is different than yours but I've barely ever used thaumaturgy in Trigger Warning. When the action heats up there often isn't enough time or it just gets handwaved because of cinematic reasons.

And because Shielded is an aspect, it is practically useless to me because, again, I have literally 1 Refresh and barely ever have any Fate Points to use at all for invokes. So I still can't put it up reflexively because that automatically uses up my tag so I might as well not have done anything because I can't invoke it. But I still can't act while the aspect exists. Hooray.

I agree with you that Evocation needed a nerf, and that the massive offensive power was bad.

I just don't feel that I have anything left to really do in combat because the defensive "buffs" are unusable for me. I will have to look at enchanted items again to see what they can actually do, though.

Full disclosure: I never do full defense because it isn't fun to sit around and do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

quote:

But it does mean Ettin has a lot more design space to work with when he doesn't have to worry about a 16 stress attack coming out of a character on the first round of combat.

*cough* :ninja:

• Locked thread