Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Watched the first episodes of Love Live S2 and had to watch the entire first season after that.

For anyone that hasn't checked out Love Live it's worth a look, but certainly isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's just funny, cute, and musical. Even the CGI dance routines aren't that bad.

For those that have seen it, season 2 is basically more of the same and deserves your attention. Maki is working so hard for you.

Captain Earth and Ping Pong will most certainly be filling in the rest of my week. When intro episodes are as good as those, I can only hope meteors don't smash into the studio and cause everything good to vanish.

e: Oh god new page.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I peeped the second episode of that flag show and they're really just throwing as many plot elements at the wall as they can and hoping enough stick.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Wixoss and Nanana are getting better, it seems. They might not have stood out in a better season, but I think I am going to watch them both.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mekaku City Actors is as SHAFT-y as gently caress and the opening shot is almost exactly the same as the opening shot in the Utena movie so I am going down the rabbit hole with this one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Watched the first episodes of Love Live S2 and had to watch the entire first season after that.

Why? Did somebody put a gun to your head?

Edit: Seriously, if someone is holding you hostage and forcing you to watch terrible anime signal us so we can send help.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Trailer for Takeshi Koike's Lupin III movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skw43XwX6oc

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

paragon1 posted:

Why? Did somebody put a gun to your head?

Edit: Seriously, if someone is holding you hostage and forcing you to watch terrible anime signal us so we can send help.

Trapped in moe factory. Please send help.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm told that Love Live is actually pretty good because it's an idol anime that doesn't sugar coat the profession.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Eej posted:

I'm told that Love Live is actually pretty good because it's an idol anime that doesn't sugar coat the profession.

Love Live isn't even about the idol industry or professional idols, really. Its about a bunch of girls who find out their school is going to shut down at the end of the year because there aren't any applicants, so they decide to form an idol club and give some performances to see if they can attract new students.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Of course there is moe poo poo. I don't hate moe though. It's ok.

The thing is that it has solid character interactions and is an earnest story of a group of students working hard to safe their school, to become good at something and to function as a team.

It also has solid humor of all kinds and the fanservice is minimal. I swear if a show with a ridiculous concept has almost no fanservice its a sign that it is good.

It also has a character who is a hardcore idol fan and always tries to act ultra cutesy in an idol way and everyone else is 'What the gently caress, girl?' and makes fun of her.

Edit:
The first episode of the second season was about the leader not wanting to enter a tournament, because she was afraid of pushing her group too hard like last time.

The second episode was about having a creative slump and how to overcome it and about team spirit.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 18, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eej posted:

You're thinking of Wake Up Girls, Love Live is basically anime Glee only less gay (unfortunately).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Opinions on shows.

Inugami-san: This sure is a 4koma adaptation. Kinda wanna punch the twintailed girl in the second episode. Dull and not that funny.

JoJo Part 3: Looking good so far, but there's already signs of the production team having to cheap out (that shot of Jotaro falling down the stairs was hilarious). Hopefully this won't get as bad as some of part 1 was. Still too early in the game to give it a real verdict, but looks good so far.

Captain Earth: Star Driver team makes Star Driver-ish anime. It's pretty fun so far, but I'm not a big fan of the character designs. The launch sequence for the Earth Engine was great. The ending of the second episode warmed me on the main character quite a bit.

The Mangaka and His Assistants: This sure is an adaptation of a Hiroyuki manga. I'm kind of disappointed they couldn't/didn't get the drama CD VAs to reprise their roles, we could've had a goofball ecchi manga artist voiced by Jun Fukuyama. It's the sort of really dumb crap that I can't actually get mad at for being bad because it's very self aware about the whole thing (and not in that "wink wink nudge nudge" sort of way light novels tend to do but with a big glowing neon sign with "THIS IS STUPID" in giant letters). It's a very low effort adaptation but I guess that kind of fits? Might watch more, might forget that it exists entirely.

Chaika: I couldn't find any overtly awful looking stuff about this after a two minute Google search so I gave this a try. So I'm watching this and I'm like "This is the chuu2est poo poo I've ever seen but its a nice setup for a fantasy adventure show I'm kinda curious where it goes from here" and then they introduce the non blood related overly attached younger sister character and had a scene with the goth lolita character covered in bread dough all suggestive-like and I'm like "WELP". I did last through the second episode, which was better. If it sticks with the action and avoids the dumb light novel style fanservice poo poo I can see this being enjoyable.

Mekaku City Actors: 22 minutes of a shut-in MC being hosed with by Kana Asumi while crazy stuff happens around him because of magic eyes as animated by Shaft. OK I guess I'm down for now.

Akuma no Riddle: Somehow works a lot better as an anime than it did as a manga. Sugita hamming it up is always entertaining. Will probably stick around.

Ping Pong: Very well done to the great surprise of no one. Yuasa stylin on hitting balls back and forth, good times.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 18, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/news/2014/04/18/kiji/K20140418007998030.html

Japanese Labour Standards Bureau concludes that an A-1 staff member who committed suicide in 2010 did it due to depression from being overworked. He was working 600 hours a month. This guy wasn't an animator, but a line producer - basically responsible for coordinating everything, sort of the unsung heroes of anime production. A-1 is notorious for having awful scheduling on their anime production but that is still an insane amount of work (20 hours a day, what the hell).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

aers posted:

He was working 600 hours a month.

How is that even possible, that's 20 hours a day including weekends. Does he live in his office and just snatch 2-4 hours of sleep in the coffee room every night? :psyduck:

e: didn't see you say the same thing

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dear Japan. Please stop producing so much anime. Too much is just too much. Love, a concerned fan.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am just watching JoJo this season. I am tired of playing cat and mouse with lovely anime that might not be poo poo let me watch another episode or wait it was poo poo after all gently caress it. It was probably Space Dandy that turned me off with how underwhelming it was, or finding joy again in western animation (Adventure Time, Rick and Morty), but last season I decided that anime is not really for me, unless it does something cool that western studios don't really touch like JoJo.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rexides posted:

I am just watching JoJo this season. I am tired of playing cat and mouse with lovely anime that might not be poo poo let me watch another episode or wait it was poo poo after all gently caress it. It was probably Space Dandy that turned me off with how underwhelming it was, or finding joy again in western animation (Adventure Time, Rick and Morty), but last season I decided that anime is not really for me, unless it does something cool that western studios don't really touch like JoJo.

You're not a true anime fan until you've experienced anime burnout at least once. This sounds like a good plan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This season is kind of breaking me because there are a lot of 'eh, this is okay' shows that aren't bad enough for me to drop them. So I might go gently caress it and drop everything apart from Jojo and Ping Pong.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ping Pong and Mushishi are good, and I'm working through Jojo Part 2 so that I can join in on Stardust Crusaders eventually. That's three shows worth watching which really is more than enough. My only "eh" show is Captain Earth which I'll stick with until it probably gets stupid. I don't know why anyone is bothering with anything else to be honest.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Everyone should watch at least Ping Pong and Mushishi.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Watch only good things you like. Assuming there will be an above average amount of good anime or even watching dreck in the hopes it'll be good is kind of silly! Your time is precious, why bother?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Watch only good things you like. Assuming there will be an above average amount of good anime or even watching dreck in the hopes it'll be good is kind of silly! Your time is precious, why bother?

Jokes on you goon time is totally worthless! (I'm joking you're right)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zorak posted:

A lot of reviews this season seem to be "As long as you strip out the [EXTREMELY HORRIBLE poo poo], it's not 100% terrible! Maybe like 89% terrible! Heck it's almost maybe watchable!" Just catch up on old stuff instead, Japan has now made one billion cartoons so surely there's one enjoyable show out there that slipped through the cracks. At least one. Maybe not more than one. You know what just watch the first season of Big O again. Or Level E, or Lupin III which is on Hulu. That's my plan.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

A lot of reviews this season seem to be "As long as you strip out the [EXTREMELY HORRIBLE poo poo], it's not 100% terrible! Maybe like 89% terrible! Heck it's almost maybe watchable!" Just catch up on old stuff instead, Japan has now made one billion cartoons so surely there's one enjoyable show out there that slipped through the cracks. At least one. Maybe not more than one. You know what just watch the first season of Big O again. Or Level E, or Lupin III which is on Hulu. That's my plan.

You know it's a bad season when everyone, even reviewers, are giving shows 5X as much leniancy as they normally do.

I don't bother pity watching shows I don't like anymore, but I am moderately annoyed with this season just because I'm going to have a lot of free time to kill for the new few months and now I have to put slightly more effort into entertaining myself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If this season is bad how did we make it through Winter? I didn't finish a single new show during that. E: Wait, forgot Silver Spoon. So one new show that was a sequel season.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 18, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

If this season is bad how did we make it through Winter? I didn't finish a single new show during that. E: Wait, forgot Silver Spoon. So one new show that was a sequel season.

Man, I loved winter. D-Frag, Noragami, Space Dandy, Seki, Zvezda and a bunch of good continuing shows. Winters was the funnest season in ages for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seki was good, but I just couldn't bring myself to see it through to the end after having read the manga previously. Actually Silver Spoon has that problem for me as well, where I really struggle to see what being animated brought to the table over the outstanding original iteration. We'll have to agree to disagree on the rest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really liked the fight on the bridge in episode 2 of Chaika. The mc is skilled, but not overpowered. He simply outfought the guy without any special tricks, but even then it wasn't one-sided or easy. Also, a sword was actually used to cut a guy and being stabbed in the arm was a debilitating wound. Blades being dangerous but not essentially magic is incredibly rare in anime. The anti-tank rifle magic is dumb and slow, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I really liked the fight on the bridge in episode 2 of Chaika. The mc is skilled, but not overpowered. He simply outfought the guy without any special tricks, but even then it wasn't one-sided or easy. Also, a sword was actually used to cut a guy and being stabbed in the arm was a debilitating wound. Blades being dangerous but not essentially magic is incredibly rare in anime. The anti-tank rifle magic is dumb and slow, though.

Yes! I was watching that scene, thinking, "This is pretty cool. It's too bad that blades never cut anything in anime." Then the show read my mind!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I get the feeling that's the point with the magic - setting up a baseline where even basic effects are slow and clunky so that doing things the old-fashioned way is still handy and so it looks all the more impressive when someone starts breaking the rules, like how the starter villain accomplished fast magic by turning his house into a giant wand.

Of the stuff I'm watching this season, Jojo is still the same ol' David Production goodness with slightly more of a budget and is therefore amazing. Chaika is interestingly offbeat fantasy even if (a) the author apparently copy-pasted a good chunk of stuff from their previous work, Scrapped Princess, and (b) the lead did indeed feel like she was assembled from a nerdbait checklist, but those are relatively minor complaints when compared to the bizarre poo poo so many other shows this season are afflicted with, and I don't expect any further unpleasant surprises (the author was previously able to write actual family relationships in SP, so taking the incest route seems unlikely even if the male lead's sister is a bit odd about her brother). Captain Earth may end up as a trainwreck, but the team behind it has a solid track record and it looks beautiful. Akuma no Riddle is fun, unpretentious trash. Probably should give Ping Pong and TWISB a go, too (maybe Mushishi as well, but it may be a little slow for me, and there's that giant backlog to get through, too).

Most of the above shows have caveats, but they're fairly minor ones, the sorts of things you could find in Jojo if you poked hard enough. I can't say I'm watching anything at the moment that I feel I have to force myself through.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

is this the part of the season thread where we moan about how bad everything is? It's like clockwork I swear

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

is this the part of the season thread where we moan about how bad everything is? It's like clockwork I swear

This year has been legitimately not-great so far, compared to the last couple years. On the other hand, it's probably not a significantly worse year for anime than, say, 2010, and there are still some watchable shows.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

This year has been legitimately not-great so far, compared to the last couple years. On the other hand, it's probably not a significantly worse year for anime than, say, 2010, and there are still some watchable shows.

Thanks for responding with a sentiment that's parroted ad nauseam in every season thread I guess.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This season is better than some worse seasons and worse than some better seasons.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That is every part of every season thread.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

That is every part of every season thread.

True, maybe I should have said making the same sweeping generalizations about media instead of talking about the shows.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
People whine about stupid poo poo. There, I made the biggest sweeping generalization.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i dont think there has been an anime season where i havent enjoyed at least two or three shows. sure a lot of poo poo gets made but you can pretty much tell what is going to awful just based on the premise and who is making it. plus at least one nerd is going to watch it and let you know his or her thoughts on it

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

True, maybe I should have said making the same sweeping generalizations about media instead of talking about the shows.

But I'd have to actually watch the shows to talk about them. It's easier to just whine vaugely instead. Stop burdening me with your unreasonable expections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No tell us more about how this food is still good as long as you scrape the mold, dog poo poo and phlegm off it. I don't disagree that there aren't likely a couple of good shows in this batch like ping pong, but people aren't talking about ping pong, they're talking about "you know this anime was PRETTY gonnaputpeopleinjailforwatchingit, but if you just cover your eyes during those parts the rest is pretty mediocre, I figure I'll watch at least all of it".

For the life of me I just wont and will never get it. Just watch the good poo poo. People you dont have to watch every show, the hurdles I'm reading are ridiculous.

• Locked thread