Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

People identify pretty strongly with being from the south, huh? I've been rewatching HK and Masterchef lately and I keep hearing "I'm a southern girl", "I'm from the South! Booyah!", "In the South we...". I'm not American so I'm just wondering why people from other regions seemingly don't care where they are from. Where's the midwestern or Appalachian pride?

Southern pride is something unique in the US. Southerners are taught from a young age to be proud of their upbringing and all that, and things like the Civil War only entrenched this idea. There's no shortage of shame in the US for being a southerner (how often do you see redneck stereotypes?), so the reaction is to double down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Anosmoman posted:

I'm just wondering why people from other regions seemingly don't care where they are from.

New Yorkers and Californians are other examples of people that like to never shut up about where they're from. :v:

It's more pointed than the people that just kind of lump in with "the south" but it's still obnoxious as hell.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm originally from Northern New England, and I'm obnoxious as hell about it :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anosmoman posted:

People identify pretty strongly with being from the south, huh? I've been rewatching HK and Masterchef lately and I keep hearing "I'm a southern girl", "I'm from the South! Booyah!", "In the South we...". I'm not American so I'm just wondering why people from other regions seemingly don't care where they are from. Where's the midwestern or Appalachian pride?

Americans who build their identity around where they're from are typically either from "The South" or from "New York" (read: New York City). Those types of people are equally terrible for different reasons.

People who don't build their identity around where they're from don't care where those people are from, either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 18, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
What Raditts said, and I don't think anybody wants to deal with an emotionally-stunted basketcase in their 40's who says that all they want to do is go home and cry to their momma.

Anyway, Southern cuisine doesn't carry the same stigma as, say, English cuisine: food so bad that even Ramsay himself campaigned to change the world's perception of it. The food is usually the first thing people compliment about the South (which isn't often).

So for Beth to say that she's not being taken seriously as a chef because she's a Southern woman is ridiculous. Besides, it certainly doesn't seem to have been a problem for fellow Southern girl Kashia.

Courtesy of the op, it turns out that Beth's hometown is about a 15 minute drive from where I live. I'm unsurprised by this.

gibbsocracy
Mar 2, 2014

by XyloJW

raditts posted:

Americans who build their identity around where they're from are typically either from "The South" or from "New York" (read: New York City). Those types of people are equally terrible for different reasons.

People who don't build their identity around where they're from don't care where those people are from, either.

Wait what weirdo places are you from where people DON'T have pride in where they're from (justified or not).

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Let us not forget Nutbush. Namaste.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gibbsocracy posted:

Wait what weirdo places are you from where people DON'T have pride in where they're from (justified or not).

I'm from Baltimore and most people around here don't have any particular pride about it. We have pride in the football and baseball teams but that's about it. Crabcakes too I guess.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I grew up 20 minutes outside NYC in the suburbs of New Jersey, and I don't have hometown pride per se, but it was pretty much one of the coolest places any kid could grow up, I'll say that much. That and I miss it sometimes. Being in NC still doesn't feel quite right, and I've been here eight, almost nine years now.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
"I can do this, I've cooked [dish] a million times!"

*fucks it up*

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'm from Baltimore and most people around here don't have any particular pride about it. We have pride in the football and baseball teams but that's about it. Crabcakes too I guess.
Don't forget The Wire. :omarcomin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WescottF1 posted:

Was that Sarah from Masterchef Jr. in the preview?

Pretty sure it was.

And what the hell was that thing Holly Marie Combs brought with her to join her at the chef's table? He looked like a reject from an 80's hair metal band. And not one of the good ones.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Pretty sure it was.

And what the hell was that thing Holly Marie Combs brought with her to join her at the chef's table? He looked like a reject from an 80's hair metal band. And not one of the good ones.

Google says Josh Cocktail.

Wiki says "Radical Something is an independent trio composed of Alex Lagemann (Loggy), Josh Hallbauer (Josh Cocktail), and Michael Costanzo (Big Red). According to Billboard.com the trio "blends hip-hop and rock with a decidedly Californian vibe".[1]"
:barf:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Mad Dragon posted:

Google says Josh Cocktail.

Wiki says "Radical Something is an independent trio composed of Alex Lagemann (Loggy), Josh Hallbauer (Josh Cocktail), and Michael Costanzo (Big Red). According to Billboard.com the trio "blends hip-hop and rock with a decidedly Californian vibe".[1]"
:barf:

Random trivia: Alex lagemann and Michael Costanzo once played on the Cal Football Team.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
So with Twee permabanned is the game just done with?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So with Twee permabanned is the game just done with?

Safe to say so. He ended up getting banned before the end of last season as well.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Holy crap, that "fusion" menu is like Guy Fieri's wet dream. :stare:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Waiting for inevitable "Fiona would make a better manager/chef/owner!" comment.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I can't lie, if I crossed the threshold and saw what looks like the Tall Man out of Phantasm staring at me with bug eyes and mannequin named Fiona, I'd loving leave.

Edit: :stonk:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 19, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

That salmon looks like raw ground beef. And it looks as though their garage has spilled into the dining room. 30-40 year upholstery that smells like B.O., peeling wallpaper, flies...:wtc:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

One difference I always notice between KN and Restaurant Impossible - they always claim word has spread about Ramsay being in town, which causes the people to flock to the restaurant for a disastrous service, yet on RI they simply admit that Robert's brought the people in.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
This is gonna get shut down very soon...

:aaaaa:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"I don't think I'm a hoarder. I just find it hard to throw things away."

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I honestly don't know how you save this place or change the people who run it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is Fox seriously trying I Want to Marry a Millionaire again except with a regal look-alike? :psyduck:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I like the one girl there, "Prince Harry? Harry Potter? I don't care!" Just, wow. Even for a reality dating show, that're some impressingly low standards.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Is this a two-parter? Seems like they spent an awful lot of time on the junk aspect.

Edit: Apparently not. I know this show stopped being about the food a long time ago, but drat, you'd think with such a wacky menu they'd spend at least a couple minutes highlighting a decent dish or two to replace it.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
You're utterly incompetent. Here have a $65000 renovation!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

OmegaBR posted:

Is this a two-parter? Seems like they spent an awful lot of time on the junk aspect.

Last week's relaunch was less than five minutes, I swear.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

OmegaBR posted:

My TV guide has a different one for the second hour. They really are seriously neglecting the whole fixing the food aspect. Just show them being assholes and throw money at them.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

iastudent posted:

Seems like a trend that started last season. There were a couple where they pretty much skipped the redemption service. More time to spend on the train wreck aspect I suppose.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

OmegaBR posted:

One difference I always notice between KN and Restaurant Impossible - they always claim word has spread about Ramsay being in town, which causes the people to flock to the restaurant for a disastrous service, yet on RI they simply admit that Robert's brought the people in.

Honestly, if Ramsay came here to renovate a restaurant, I would at least consider going there and eating a presumably lovely meal for the chance to see him.

The relaunch dinner was really brief for this one, but apparently she didn't implode, so I don't know why you'd have to show a long service if everything went fine.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Heh, no kidding. The service was in trouble and bounced back in a matter of 20 seconds.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

iastudent posted:

This may have that one beat.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

surf rock posted:

Honestly, if Ramsay came here to renovate a restaurant, I would at least consider going there and eating a presumably lovely meal for the chance to see him.

The relaunch dinner was really brief for this one, but apparently she didn't implode, so I don't know why you'd have to show a long service if everything went fine.

It's not that I want to see a long service, so much as have some emphasis on the food itself beyond just putting all the plates out for them to sample, a segment that usually lasts 20 seconds itself. Nasty kitchens are the bones of the show, granted, but you see one, you've seen most. Show them how to cook at least one dish at least.

Another Greek place? I wish they'd do another Mexican or Japanese one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

OmegaBR posted:

Another Greek place? I wish they'd do another Mexican or Japanese one.

But Mexicans and Japanese people don't know anger. :v:

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
Her lips are driving me crazy. Bad collagen injection?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

kami posted:

Her lips are driving me crazy. Bad collagen injection?

They look like deflated balloons. She seems like a good woman, though.

:stare: :wtc: is that? Is he making brontosaurus burgers?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Microwave woman in the basement? Bizarre!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Brock Samson posted:

Microwave woman in the basement? Bizarre!

Everyone knows you grill woman :rolleyes: