Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WEAK and WILLING
Apr 24, 2006

I called into the Adam and Drew show, and they named the episode (#128) after my question!

I am more proud of this than I should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh nice, I'll have to check that one out, I haven't listened to Adam and Drew in a while. How easy was it to call in, were you on hold for long? Also who takes the calls, Matt or Gary or whoever is in the control room? I'm always curious as to what they do on the show besides Google 70's songs.

WEAK and WILLING
Apr 24, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh nice, I'll have to check that one out, I haven't listened to Adam and Drew in a while. How easy was it to call in, were you on hold for long? Also who takes the calls, Matt or Gary or whoever is in the control room? I'm always curious as to what they do on the show besides Google 70's songs.

I didn't recognize the voice, so it must have been one of the nameless guys in the control room. It was pretty quick and easy process. I saw a tweet that they were taking calls and immediately called in with a question I had been wondering about for a while. I was only on hold for about 10 minutes or so, but that was because they picked my call first. It could have potentially taken another half hour had Drew been less interested in the topic.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

WEAK and WILLING posted:

I didn't recognize the voice, so it must have been one of the nameless guys in the control room. It was pretty quick and easy process. I saw a tweet that they were taking calls and immediately called in with a question I had been wondering about for a while. I was only on hold for about 10 minutes or so, but that was because they picked my call first. It could have potentially taken another half hour had Drew been less interested in the topic.
drat yeah, Drew was into your question! Also very nicely done, I did not see that followup question coming. I haven't heard that particular topic discussed since Loveline.

WEAK and WILLING
Apr 24, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

drat yeah, Drew was into your question! Also very nicely done, I did not see that followup question coming. I haven't heard that particular topic discussed since Loveline.

Thank you, thank you. I would've named the episode "The Mason Gene."

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
That was great.

Is it just me or was the episode FULL of ads? Felt like they were doing one after another every 5 minutes.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

That was great.

Is it just me or was the episode FULL of ads? Felt like they were doing one after another every 5 minutes.

It wasn't just you. I think I fast forwarded 5 times when they would segue into another ad.

Today's show was fun with Big Momma Got it All meeting Brown Sugar.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
That was really great. It was so nice to see actual improvisation occurring without Adam saying "so here's the scene," and then constantly directing the flow. Jo and Jay are great at it by themselves and it showed.

Best thing on the show in awhile.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like the Mike Rowe episode too if anyone is picking them out one at a time.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I love Adam blowing smoke up Andy Summers rear end when he has poo poo on the Police on multiple occasions over the years. As I recall, he basically thinks the Police is lovely music, he hates their reggae vibe and I'm pretty sure he has called Sting a douche.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Adam seems fairly OK in what I've listened to of his newest appearance on Joe Rogan. I have to think he's talked about his airline-owning friend on his actual show, right?

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

visuvius posted:

I love Adam blowing smoke up Andy Summers rear end when he has poo poo on the Police on multiple occasions over the years. As I recall, he basically thinks the Police is lovely music, he hates their reggae vibe and I'm pretty sure he has called Sting a douche.

I know he's poo poo on Sting over the years, but I always thought Adam dug The Police?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
edit I'm dumb

Medullah fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 30, 2014

bartok
May 10, 2006

Paul Kersey posted:

I know he's poo poo on Sting over the years, but I always thought Adam dug The Police?

I think he just hates a few of their songs. Adam's real hate is reserved for the Steve Miller Band.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

YES they finally had Tracy Morgan in the studio in person. He does not disappoint, I could listen to him for hours.

Why is my president being interviewed by the host of Family Feud? Richard Dawson never said nothin to NOBODY! Why didn't Pat SAJAK get an interview with somebody?

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 9, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The chimp using keys drop is pretty spectacular and sounds like an inprov line on 30 rock.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
How ironic. Today's ACS has Adam trashing people for making their own movies and them being "big piles of poo poo."

This from a guy who has almost totally segregated himself from Hollywood and can't get a movie made without having it be a kickstarter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

How ironic. Today's ACS has Adam trashing people for making their own movies and them being "big piles of poo poo."

This from a guy who has almost totally segregated himself from Hollywood and can't get a movie made without having it be a kickstarter.

To be fair, him ripping on Jenny McCarthy and Matthew McConaughey (or however you spell it) for their films is spot on.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

There is a lot of attribution error among actors/artists, they think that problems are usually caused by limits on their creativity etc. So when they get control of a project and that project turns out terrible well it's tougher to externalize that.

Adam is making this point because he has heard actors complain this way a lot and also likes RANKING METRICS/exposing hacks, especially in ways that validate him :) It's hard to argue whether person X is better than person Y but looking at the things they spearheaded is a better metric than most.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah if The Hammer wasn't a solid movie it'd be a lot more hypocritical. But it's good so he makes a pretty valid point.

Any idea when the script to Road Hard will be distributed to the backers? I haven't heard anything about it since the campaign started. Unless I misunderstood and it won't be available until after the movie is shot and everything, even though that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think he makes a fair point when it comes to what does and doesn't get made. Adam Sandler can walk in at anytime and get a movie made. His movies over the last 10 years have been for the most part terrible. It doesn't sound like an industry that is willing to take chances on people.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Adam Sandler is a bad example because he has his own studio and enough money to do what he wants. That being said, Hollywood also banks on success--whether new or old. He has some great movies in the past, so he has clout today.

He doesn't talk about it often, but when Adam talks about his general demeanor towards studios, or how the treat him, or want him to do multiple takes or what-not, I feel like he's probably totally exiled himself from Hollywood, leaving him to have to do his own thing, which also makes him mad I'm sure. I'm honestly surprised he has the contractor show seeing as how he complains like crazy about that, too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It isn't the studios who Adam has burnt the bridges with, it's the distributors. And while he's right, distribution is a giant scam, they're also the real gatekeepers to the theaters. I have a feeling The Hammer would have done a lot better had it been released now since the distribution model has never been better for independent films and he probably would have been able to find a more favorable deal. He might actually be a lot better served this time to do a deal with one of the faux-indy distribution labels but I guess I can understand why he might be reluctant to sign up with one of them again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sandler has to have the easiest time selling his movies and getting them distributed.

"Imagine your audience watching 90 minutes of commercials for products they can purchase at your concession stand! The last movie I made has a 7% on Rotten Tomatoes and still managed to gross $41 million on its opening weekend."

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Catch a contractor is getting a second season, and all the newer episodes are going to be an hour now. Two big positives in my mind, that show feels rushed as gently caress so that will be good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

That's good news. Now maybe they'll show more of the actual building process. Right now it fees like 10 minutes of catching the guy followed by a quick 5 minute time lapse of the work being done.

Jo Koy hosted today's show in place of Adam. It's really really funny, the guy is great.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's good news. Now maybe they'll show more of the actual building process. Right now it fees like 10 minutes of catching the guy followed by a quick 5 minute time lapse of the work being done.

Jo Koy hosted today's show in place of Adam. It's really really funny, the guy is great.

Yeah, it's really good. Sort of looking forward to the next guest host, whoever that'll be. :allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've been a giant Carolla fan forever, I was downloading the Adam Carolla Show podcasts when they were just being uploaded after the radio show. But I think it's time for him to focus on the other things he's got going (movie, TV show, racing) and maybe scale back on the main podcast. There's so much filler in it now that I end up skipping half the episodes. I think getting it twice a week would be fine, at this point.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Adam was on the Chris Jericho podcast today and was talking about his start into podcasting. The story has changed quite a bit from what I remember.. and I've been listening from day one.

He days he was basically podcasting since he left Loveline with people listening online, and that he told everyone he was starting a podcast on his radio show before it went off.

Obviously he's going to minimize Donny's involvement.. but I'd thought it was Donny's idea, Adam was in the dark about internet broadcasts, and it was Donny who explained it and got him going. Jesus, it took forever before he understood the concept of it being free instead of a subscription.

Does any radio listeners recall this announcement? If not, this is the first time I recall him describing his podcast beginnings like this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's lying now. Even a couple years into the show he would talk about how Donny brought up the idea and talked him into it. That he had no idea how any of that stuff worked.

I'm glad the contractor show is getting a full hour. It had potential but felt really rushed. It was also setup in a way that I don't know why they needed Adam in the first place. The other guy does most of the talking and his wife does the surveillance crap. I hope he's more involved in the 2nd season because he has some really funny one-liners in it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Adam was on the Chris Jericho podcast today and was talking about his start into podcasting. The story has changed quite a bit from what I remember.. and I've been listening from day one.

He days he was basically podcasting since he left Loveline with people listening online, and that he told everyone he was starting a podcast on his radio show before it went off.

Obviously he's going to minimize Donny's involvement.. but I'd thought it was Donny's idea, Adam was in the dark about internet broadcasts, and it was Donny who explained it and got him going. Jesus, it took forever before he understood the concept of it being free instead of a subscription.

Does any radio listeners recall this announcement? If not, this is the first time I recall him describing his podcast beginnings like this.
He may be talking about the fact that the morning radio show he did on KLSX after leaving Loveline was put online as a podcast. I'd bet good money though that at the time he didn't care or know much about it, if he was even aware of it at all. It was kinda crazy actually, they'd put up the entire 2-hour+ morning show as a podcast every weekday, without commercials or anything. I don't know how that made sense economically, but hey, terrestrial radio. Probably a lot of it was due to even fewer people knowing or caring what the hell a podcast was at the time, so I don't imagine their bandwidth was too expensive.

That's when I started listening though, right before the show got shut down, I'd heard he had a morning show and it could be downloaded online. I definitely remember hearing him talking in the last couple shows about how he was going to start recording something for the fans of the radio show and put it online, and that's when I followed him over. It was definitely Donny guiding him through the first year or so, he didn't have much of a clue what he was doing.

So it's probably just him summarizing the story as well as he can without talking about Donny, who he hasn't mentioned since their big fallout.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I used to listen to the morning show on podcast. Pretty much all the FreeFM shows were podcasted.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
How else would you get your daily fill of John and Jeff?

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Rick posted:

Yeah I used to listen to the morning show on podcast. Pretty much all the FreeFM shows were podcasted.

I found it while I was working in an Irish restaurant as a dishwasher/prep cook. A podcast version of a four-hour radio show is a great way to get through a shift like that. I'd also listen live online on my days off. I called in on what I think was the next-to-last show after doing a morning bong rip to talk to Kevin Nealon. Good times.

As far as I recall from that hazy time, there was no mention of a post-radio show podcast on the radio show.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Aw, man, the Dameshek episode cuts off during the NFL hot or not segment! Even better than the Jo Koy episode, in my opinion. I'm hoping for DAG next.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
From a legal standpoint, he's not going to say Donny came up with the idea or was guiding it when he's in a lawsuit where he argues that Donny did nothing.

Thanks for the refresher. It's been awhile and I never listened to his morning show. Just kept listening to old Loveline until he started doing the podcast and acted disinterested and clueless until he got the proper guidance.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

He was definitely aware of the podcast during the morning show. People would call in all the time from out of market and say they listened online and he said multiple times how great it was that people could download and listen anytime from anywhere

I remember when the show was canceled him announcing the podcast. There were not a lot of details but it was basically "don't worry, we're not going away for good. I am starting a podcast and we be available in some format in the near future. "

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ChaosMonkey posted:

I found it while I was working in an Irish restaurant as a dishwasher/prep cook. A podcast version of a four-hour radio show is a great way to get through a shift like that. I'd also listen live online on my days off. I called in on what I think was the next-to-last show after doing a morning bong rip to talk to Kevin Nealon. Good times.

As far as I recall from that hazy time, there was no mention of a post-radio show podcast on the radio show.

The best part about this radio show being a podcast was it was broken up by segment so you could skip the lame stuff super easily. Sometimes I would line up all the "What can't Adam complain about" segments in a row and laugh for a solid hour.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

vote_no posted:

Aw, man, the Dameshek episode cuts off during the NFL hot or not segment! Even better than the Jo Koy episode, in my opinion. I'm hoping for DAG next.

The shek episode was really good. I am also saddened by the early cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

iTunes cut it short but the player on his website has the last 8 minutes which you can skip right to.