Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

To be honest, I'm slightly happy that he's dead. My informants were finding it hard to keep finding me when we moved every three hours.

Also the constant threats of poo poo explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Now I'm not saying we should take command over the girl's upbringing and turn her into a puppet Basilissa, cementing the Senate's dominion over the Roman government, but the opportunity is most certainly there.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

What, I'm sorry, I was on pilgrimage in Jerusalem for the last couple of years. What happened while I was away?

Why are there vikings everywhere and what happened to the Empress?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 19, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

And to think, he laughed at me and called me soft when I suggested we pass up the inn reeking of literal poo poo.

While I find it hard to shed a tear for the man, I am sad to see the emperor go. A ruler with the stones to tame an unruly lot like us is going to be hard to come by. May his daughter have the same force of will, but a more agreeable personality.

Ah well, at least now I can go back to sleeping in a comfortable Thracian villa bought with the fruits of Italian trade, instead of a piss-smelling hovel of an inn on the side of a road, like a peasant.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD

We must act fast while Yaroslavovich influence is weakened by his death. Proposal: To ensure stability in the Empire by improving the Empress' subjects opinion of her: Patrilinially betroth Tsaritsa Dobrava to the strongest Greek Komnenos candidate!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 19, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow was that a lot of assassination attempts in rapid succession.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sindai posted:

Wow was that a lot of assassination attempts in rapid succession.

Yes, someone has a lot of money to spend on assassinations.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It's possible, the pope is kind of a bastard.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Aren't Paid assassins different from plot assassins?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Hey, someone has to buy the metric tons of manure.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Amnistar posted:

Aren't Paid assassins different from plot assassins?

Yeah, I don't think money has any effect on plotted murders. Between short reign penalty and culture difference they probably didn't have a hard time finding willing plotters among the former emperor's court and vassals.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, I don't think money has any effect on plotted murders. Between short reign penalty and culture difference they probably didn't have a hard time finding willing plotters among the former emperor's court and vassals.

Short reign, culture difference, and probably substantially over the demesne limit. Combined with an intrigue of 2, he never had a chance.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Short reign, culture difference, and probably substantially over the demesne limit. Combined with an intrigue of 2, he never had a chance.

He, in fact, had 3.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Adept Nightingale posted:

Quickly, you fools, quickly! We can let his Kievan followers organize the funeral. For us, it is time to secure the child's education-- we have an opportunity here, managed properly, to make this child an ally of the Senate, and properly Greek besides.

I endorse the idea. If only the Emperor had listened to our advice about embracing the Greek culture, perhaps he could have forged a new dynasty equal to that of the Komnenians. But he was headstrong, and that was his downfall. This child Empress will be different, must be different.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Wait a second, since pretty much the entire senate was travelling with Tsar Yaroslav, doesn't that mean all but a few senators also perished in that Kievan shitstorm? Because if so, we have a child Empress ruling without a Senate, with only the Black Chamber to protect her from the Doukes.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lost Season posted:

Wait a second, since pretty much the entire senate was travelling with Tsar Yaroslav, doesn't that mean all but a few senators also perished in that Kievan shitstorm? Because if so, we have a child Empress ruling without a Senate, with only the Black Chamber to protect her from the Doukes.

You can't fit 400 senators in one inn, so only Yaroslav's favorite senators got to hang out with him. So maybe a dozen or so senators blew up, tops.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Well, that was fun. We should take a trip like that every emperor! ...Except maybe without the assassinations. And exploding buildings in general, thank goodness I never spoke too much, waiting for a good minute, and so wasn't within 3 inns of the blast. And without the deaths of an entire sect of the senate that goes mad in the face of a regime change instead of keeping their heads down and waiting to see if they still had jobs.

Also, wow. We need to improve the quality of our religious educators -- if we were to improve the qualities of our patron-ship and encourage a higher scholastic standard, maybe for a proposal for the next senate session, what do you suppose would be the best way to bring that about? Hand-inviting learned men and women from across the world?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hmmm, if this adult ruler couldn't make it, isn't his heir even less likely to do so, with the malus for being female and the disadvantages of regency? Though I suppose she and her brother might easily have better intrigue.
We might very well see a return to Komnenos or a change to a third dynasty by default if a couple more rapid deaths occur.
Rincewind: Any idea who's Tsaritsa's second heir? Not that I'm not loyal to her, it was her father's sins, but this isn't looking good.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 19, 2014

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Alright so here's the thing, the late emperor spent his entire first year of rule gallivanting around the world and not, y'know, cementing his newly unified and politically unstable realm and now we have a child empress. Don't get me wrong, empresses have done a lot more good for us in recent ages than their male alternatives, but the stability of our glorious ruling Russian dynasty is certainly in question amongst the less loyal Douxes of the empire (not that "a loyal Douxe" isn't something of an oxymoron). Some of our estemeed senators have suggested a marriage between our new empress and an eligible Komnenos male, of course I would not be so treasonous to suggest a patrilineal marriage, BUT a matrilineal one might provide the stability that a well-established name like Komnenos provides.To cement such a deal, and to show the good will of the new dynasty, a Komnenos guardian should be found to teach her grace until she is of age. Perhaps that chap with the eye patch and the pet snake?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Forget the Komnenians, they've had their time, and if our late Tsar was right about anything, he was right that the current crop is less than impressive.

What we have here is a prime opportunity to wed her - matrilineally, thank you - into the de Toulouses, and nip that revolt in the bud before it can begin. If my brush with death has taught me anything - I only narrowly avoided being at that table, thanks to a roadside injury due to all this damned walking we've been doing - it's that we need value in the current political theater, not in some romanticized past. The Komnenians no longer matter.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
PART TWENTY-SEVEN: The Secret Diary of Dobrava Yaroslavovna, Aged 9 (1358-1362)

They told me Daddy died, and that now I was empress of Rome and that my brother Yuriy was Grand Duke of Kiev.

I said that wasn't fair, since I thought noble girls are equal to noble boys, so why don't I get to go home like Yuiry does?

They said that because I'm older I'm the boss of him and empress of Byzantium-Kiev, but because of special Kievan laws I can't be tsar of both like Daddy was.

They always call things about Kiev "special" and "different" and "strange". I'm from Kiev! One time everyone in the Roman Empire was different, and they were all Turks and Greeks and Italians and Arabs and Bulgars and Croatians and Cumans and Pechenegs, but now they're all Romans. Why are Russians more different?

I asked them how Daddy died.

Nobody would tell me.

I was really scared about being Tsaritsa of Kiev-Byzantium, but they told me not to worry about it, since a trustworthy vassal would take care of things until I'm big enough to do it myself.

I got more scared.

Knyaz Sotan took me on his knee and told me he'd do all the things my daddy said he was going to, like make it so everyone could have their own Patriarch as long as they were good Orthodoxes and venerated St. Valeria and the Sainted Emperors a lot.

When we still lived in our nice castle in Kiev, Daddy always said that Order of the Sainted Emperors was just a bunch of political stuff real Christians don't need to worry about it. He didn't say that after he became Emperor, though.

Queen Basillike of Sicily came all the way from Neapolis to Constantinople just to take care of me! She's really nice and she's really smart. She tells me that books are really important and that the volumes of Greek, Latin, and Arabic in my library are as important to the empire as the swords my soldiers carry around. She said that I should write this diary so that people in the future will know all about me? I said that sounds like a lot of work. But I did it anyway.

But she also lets me play with real swords too so it's not very boring.

I like her.

The New Senate kept on sending my priests to the Golden Horde to try to convert the Khans. They never seemed to come back.

Queen Basillike told me that there are a lot of people in the empire who don't like me very much. But she also said that lots of emperors and empresses had vassals who didn't like them very much, so I shouldn't feel sad, since they still did great things anyway.

She also ordered new stables built up in Tuscany, so that when I came to Italy to visit her I could ride around on a beautiful strong horse just like in Constantinople.

I asked her for a bigger retinue, but she said that thanks to me getting the retinues of both Kiev and the Roman Empire I already had too many soldiers standing around and I should be lucky that nobody's taken away the extras. I guess she's right?

(nb: note that retinue cap =/= number of actual soldiers in our retinue, we don't have like a 34k standing army)

Rashka is part of the empire again! Everyone's really happy about it besides Basillike.

"You should always be suspicious when your vassals start to think they can do as they please without consulting the imperial government," she said.

"Aren't you my vassal?" I asked her.

She told me I was very smart and taking to my lessons well.

Yuriy's vassals thought they could do as they please, and they declared war on him to try to steal Kiev.

"Hello, my dear. My name's Leon. Knyaz Sotan had to go back to Crimea to do some very important things, so now I'm going to look after the empire for you, for a while."

I wish my doukes would stop talking to me as if I'm stupid.

I was right to be worried about vassals doing as they pleased. They're trying to do the same thing to me that they did to Yuriy. :(

Basillike said I need to get out of Constantinople because I'll be safer in my own duchy in Tuscany, and she needs to be back in Neapolis to order her vassals around. So we slipped out of the city by sea. I wondered if I'd ever see it again.

Komitas Branas isn't a Yaroslavovich. He's not even a Komnenos! If you go back far enough, he's descended from Emperor Kyriakos Komnenos. My grandmom was a Komnenos, so I'm a lot more of one than he is. But he's Greek and not Russian, and I guess that's all the doukes of Greece care about.

Note from Basillike di Chios: Our young empress is a bright young lady, but there are some things I want to clarify a few things about the outbreak of this civil war that might have been too subtle for her to grasp— although she does always surprise me.

Branas is just a puppet claimant of course— the real power behind the throne is Doux Helias II Altuntekin of Paphlagonia. He's a fascinating man, and were it not for his treasonous actions, I'd say I admire the tenacity of his dynasty. Maybe I still do? It's not his ancestors' fault that their scion stabbed his empress in the back.

The Altunekins epitomize the blurry line between "Greek" and "Turkish" in Anatolia. Their family is of Turkish descent— which is not terribly uncommon, of course. What's more interesting is that their line has ruled Paphlagonia for centuries— even back in the days of the Seljuk Empire! A remarkable ability to weather any political storm, to be sure.[/i]

Almost all of Greece and Anatolia are in revolt! But most of Italy is loyal, except for the Patriarch of Rome and the Katepano of Venice. Rome and Venice are pretty important! But my lands in Tuscany are safe, and Basillike is keeping most of the rest in line. So at least there's somewhere that's safe for me.

Basillike decided that her forces and my levies from Tuscany would try to take Rome first, so that we could be sure the Italian mainland would be safe after she marched east to link up with our other armies in Greece and Anatolia.

She says that our eastern forces are doing well, but I can tell she's worried since there's so many bad guys out there and more and more keep coming.

The fighting was especially bad around Constantinople. I'm glad I escaped to Tuscany!

At least Kiev stayed loyal! The princes of Kiev might not like my brother very much, but they like me better than Komitas, I guess. Look how many of them there are!

Money is running low, apparently. After we ran out, we were able to borrow more. But Basillike isn't very sure how long it'll last. We have a lot of soldiers to pay, and very little money coming in.

There's trouble in Italy, too— the Pope has turned his mercenary armies on the rebel Patriarch of Rome!

Note from Basillike di Chios: Ah, the Papal sack of Rome! As brutal as any of the great sackings of antiquity. Rome herself was famously spared from any fighting in Valeria the Apostle's war to claim it, and the only looting was the Pope withdrawing his personal fortune to the vaults of Orbetello.

This time, the fortunes of war were less kind of Rome. Imagine a hundred thousand mercenaries, who for decades have been living in ranshackle settlements across the Papal state that are halfway between real townships and armed camps. The world you thought you knew had fallen apart, the kings you had served for generations embracing what you saw as the most vile of heresies. Is it any wonder so many men who found they had nothing to lose threw in their lot with the Popes?

Is it any wonder that, when turned loose upon a city that they considered theirs but had embraced heresy under a foreign master, their retribution would be severe?

Rome, decades after its reincorporation into the Roman Empire, was just barely beginning to regain some of its ancient splendor.

Now, it is a ruin once again.

And yet, with the Patriarch of Rome out of the civil war, I can send my forces east to fight with the Kievans and the few loyal Greeks. Perhaps there is hope?

While my brother was busy fighting for me, the Rurikoviches stole the throne of Kiev from him. Father always said the Rurikoviches and Komnenoi were our family, but I don't believe that.

Still, the Kievan soldiers fight in our armies, and with their help we have a huge numerical advantage over the rebels! Basillike said that the latest news was that the combined army of Byzantium-Kiev had engaged the largest rebel army in Anatolia! If they're victorious, we could win the war! And now would be a good time to win the war, since we've run out of money again, and we can't borrow any more until we pay the first bit back.

Basillike says that Kievan soldiers aren't actually very good at fighting Romans.

I don't think I'm going to be able to go back to Constantinople any time soon.

:siren: Assassination Scorecard: :siren:
Tsars Killed: 2
Badshahs Killed: 2
Sultans Killed: 7
Nosy Chancellors Killed: 2
Katepanos Killed: 1
Mad Bishops Killed: 1
Adventurers Killed: 1
Popes Killed: 2

:siren: Battle Scorecard :siren:
Badshahs Killed: 1
Sultans Killed: 1
Katepanos Killed: 1
That guy who killed our genius heir: 1

World Map, 1362

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Errr...there's an old saying among the Jews...

...God bless and keep the Basileus away from us?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

...Well. Let me be the first to welcome our new Emperor! All hail House Branas!

I would also just like to express my regard for Doux Helias -- and all the Greek Doukes, really. I hope this will usher in a new era of cooperation between us.

(Have the men prepare my barge, it's off to Tuscany with me. gently caress the Doukes.)

OOC: Good to see the thread taking on a more... Roman flair, Rincewind. Constant bloody successions and vague claims to the throne feel way more late empire than centuries of solid and competent rule.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 19, 2014

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Oh dear... is that Crimea I see standing independent? I think that is unwise of them. It appears the Horde will have a new meal soon.

And Venice too has decided to march from us! My heart, is that even Belgograd and Abkhazia that has marched from us? Oh, the treachery. While I still advocate for the existence and use of trade republics, even I feel shame at this.

Perhaps the Venecian Committee needs a new name? In the spirit of this restoration of cultural affairs, may I suggest the reformation of the Fraternalists?

(OOC: This is pretty much why I've always advocated more merchant republics. They splinter off in wars like these, makes things more interesting.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh god no flank commanders. Can you not fix that if you're in regency?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Rejected Fate posted:

Oh dear... is that Crimea I see standing independent? I think that is unwise of them. It appears the Horde will have a new meal soon.

And Venice too has decided to march from us! My heart, is that even Belgograd and Abkhazia that has marched from us? Oh, the treachery. While I still advocate for the existence and use of trade republics, even I feel shame at this.

Perhaps the Venecian Committee needs a new name? In the spirit of this restoration of cultural affairs, may I suggest the reformation of the Fraternalists?

(OOC: This is pretty much why I've always advocated more merchant republics. They splinter off in wars like these, makes things more interesting.)

Hahaha, poo poo, I literally didn't know that and was mystified about them breaking away in a claimant civil war instead of an independence one. Pat yourself on the back for that one. :v:

Sindai posted:

Oh god no flank commanders. Can you not fix that if you're in regency?

I think you can, I just forgot since I was running multiple armies around like three different theaters at once, had just merged a bunch of armies, and am very bad at CK2.

EDIT: Also, reminder that under the "rules for weird situations" thing I posted earlier, we're going to be playing as Doukessa Dobrava for the rest of her life while she attempts to take back the throne. If she dies before she succeeds, then the narrative will switch back to whoever the current emperor is. Unfortunately, the AI can't be taught to follow Senate laws, so the power of the Senate might be in abeyance for a bit...

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 19, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

All hail Emperor Komitas!
(He may not be a Komnenus, but he unseated those bastard, bigoted Yaroslaviches, so now maybe we can have peace and unity in Byzantium-Kiev.)

Proposal: Maintaining stability and expanding the Emperor's personal demesne should be our primary concern, avoid a civil war at almost any cost, the Empire is hurting more and more from internal conflict. Then once things are secure retake the territories we lost during the civil war (Pope not included), starting with our land bridge to Kiev. If a civil war does occur, is it legal to take one territory from each traitor? If not we might want forge a few revocation claims or start a couple of easy wars to retake territory, a low-risk low-reward option, since it'll take a while for the territories to be useful.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 19, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

: Rome is restored!

: The foreign usurpers are overthrown!

: "Kiev-Byzantium"? More like "Roman Rome!"

: By the way, do you like our new flag, I made myself! It's the Branas family cipher. Doux Helias tells me it's super cool.

: It's very nice. Tell the emperor how nice his flag is, Senators.

: Hey, Helias, shouldn't there be more of them? I read in the Alexiad that Alexios appointed like four hundred of these suckers!

: Regrettably, the majority of the sitting senators willfully collaborated with the Yaroslavovich Regime by participating in his "New Senate". Many have fled the capital, no doubt sheltered by the Tuscan Pretender. Many others you have, regrettably, found it necessary to imprison.

: I did?

: You did, my Emperor.

: Wow! That was right smart of me, eh, Helias?

: Anyway, to those of you that are left, welcome! Where was I? Oh, right!

: Rome is restored!

: See? Says so right on the map. "Roman Empire"! Those stinky Russians up in Kiev needed to learn who's boss. It's us! First Rome!

: Okay, sure, the empire's a little smaller than it was before. The wicket Papal State seized the ancient seat of our civilization, and after the civil war, we lost...

: Ahem.

: ...after the civil war, we granted the Republics of Abkhazia, Belgorod, Crimea, and Venice their independence, in recognition for their exemplary service in sending that Russian pretender back to Italy where she belongs!

: Anyway, Rome is restored, and with it-- the Old Senate!

: Since really, what was all this New Senate business about? "The Committee of Venice?" "The Varanangian Committee?" That's all way too ominous sounding and spooky!

: So instead, I've brought all your old favorite parties back!

: The New Byzantines! Helias is really a Turk, so I bet he likes you guys, huh?

: The Old Romans! The party of Trajan II and St. Valeria!! Need I say more? I need not!

: The Mivlians! We've just lost a Pentarch, go get him back!

: The Komneni... Kom... Brana... Branassassins? Branasians? The Branas Party. Just... the Branas Party.

: I'll even bring the Discordians back! Have fun, guys!

: And also I don't go in for any of that "imperial fiat" business Yaroslav the Ruskie was all about.

: I believe... in votes!

: So, I am putting the following to vote:

The following paper is circulated amongst the Senators

Emperor Komitas I Branas posted:

do you like me
[ y / n ]

:siren: SENATE VOTE :siren:

The Senate is split between the reigning emperor and the covert supporters of the pretender! Do you participate in Komitas's restored new Old Senate, or hope for the restoration of the old New Senate of the Yaroslavoviches?

Do you support the Russian girl being tutored by a German-culture Sicilian, or the Greek emperor who was just installed in office by pretty much every non-Italian vassal in the empire?

You can either ##support Branas or ##support Yaroslavovich. IC, you can consider your votes private letters to either the Doux of Paphlagonia (for Komitas Branas) or the Queen of Sicily (for Dobrava Yaroslavovich), so the other side won't know about your loyalties initially. However, at the conclusion of this dynastic dispute, when I am again playing as the emperor or empress of Byzantium (i.e., after Dobrava either dies or reclaims the throne), the cache of letters will be discovered and your loyalties known! But this is mostly just to determine the overall disposition of the Senate, rather than mete out individual consequences. Mostly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
##support Yaroslavovich

She seemed pretty cool.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So, lemme see if I've got thish *hic* right, in the pasht, er, five years, one shar got blown to poo poo, heh heh heh, aaaaaaand anotherr one got the *hic* can... You shenators are pretty *hic* excitin', aren't ya? Y'know, it wash my brother who told me to wait for you guysh in *hic* Kiev, put it in that little will o' his... Hope he shoveled the poo poo that killed Yugoslavl 'imself, heh heh!

IIIII like you, Komi... Komita... Komita *hic*... I like you buddy! Leeeet'sh be friends!

##Support Branash

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

## Support Branas

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

##Support Branas

Maybe the Black Hand will remove her from power for us :)

EDIT:

I am enjoying my father's position back in the Senate. Those dastardly usurpers deserve everything that comes.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

##support Yaroslavovich

My family has been fighting the marching influence of the doukes for generations. I will not stand idly by and watch their puppet destroy everything we have worked to build. Mark my words, if this usurper is not overthrown and quickly, we will see our theme system collapse, and build the same kind of barbarous feudalism that so cripples Europe.

I trust that I will be well-compensated when all of this is over-- perhaps it's time to give the Senate a freer hand in administrating the traitors in Greece.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

In a troubling time such as this, the answer is clear. The Komnenus may have had their faults, but the country was never fractured under their rule as it has been now.

I suggest the Senate throw their support behind a Komenus claimant to the throne and attempt to place them back where they belong.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Finally a Republican Emperor!

##Support Branas

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 19, 2014

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

##support Yaroslavovich

I bear no ill will against Branas, but he is merely a puppet of the doukes. The doukes have ALWAYS been the enemy of the Senate and I shall never accept one of their puppets as my sovereign. That is unless he would throw of the yoke of the doukes and grant the Senate greater power. That I could live with.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Emergency meeting at my fortified Villa immediately!
How about the SENATE takes over Rome instead of pretender kings, and little girls that aren't even related to the Imperial Dynasty!
The time is now senators! Lets install the government that is not dependent on the first and the best king you can find, who's bloodline will vanish in a century or less anyway!
LET THE REPUBLIC RISE ONCE MORE!

Samuel fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 19, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Samuel posted:

How about the SENATE takes over Rome instead of pretender kings, and little girls that aren't even related to the Imperial Dynasty!
The time is now senators! Lets install the government that is not dependent on the first and the best king you can find, who's bloodline will vanish in a century or less anyway!

Foolish words Senator Samuel. Even if you manage to get the senate to agree to such a moronic plan, who would support the senate? Merchant Republic, Douxs and even the Theocracies would be against us and there is no guarantee the Roman Army would switch sides to us.

Perhaps you better go into hiding before you join my father amongst the list of dead senators.

OOC: I really want to see if I can make a mod that would simulate a senate in CK2 now.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Lord Windy posted:

Foolish words Senator Samuel. Even if you manage to get the senate to agree to such a moronic plan, who would support the senate? Merchant Republic, Douxs and even the Theocracies would be against us and there is no guarantee the Roman Army would switch sides to us.

Perhaps you better go into hiding before you join my father amongst the list of dead senators.

OOC: I really want to see if I can make a mod that would simulate a senate in CK2 now.

Ah yes, we'd make a wonderful government as a final authority. We, the senate who, when given a choice between two clear options, will search for a fourth or fifth option to vote for instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Samuel posted:

Returning to a republic would greatly destabilize the realm. Perhaps in our grandchildren's time or their children's time the Empire will be ready for the Senate to rule it, but not now. It would cause too much upheaval. Either we restore Empresses Yaroslavovich to the throne or we take control of the doukes puppet for ourselves. Regardless of which path we take we see our power increase while if we let the doukes continue on with their puppet we are diminished.

• Locked thread