Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
we did a lil fake emergency blow during ours, those are so lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

For those of you not versed in life on a carrier in the PNW, tiger cruises are usually two tiered. On the way home from deployment, one Tiger Cruise will be from Pearl Harbor to San Diego, the other is San Diego to Everett/Bremerton. To make room, a lot of the guys with family can choose to leave out of Hawaii and take the first leave period. However, the cruise is chill as hell and its basically 10 days of making sure everything is order before you head out on leave as soon as you get back.

It ends up being close to a month of not dealing with day-to-day navy poo poo, and was pretty cool.

I am unable to wrap my head around a deployment that doesn't end in an ORSE

genderstomper58 posted:

we did a lil fake emergency blow during ours, those are so lame

Especially if you're the putz who has to ride the HPACs for hours afterwards

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So I'm almost done with HM A school, I just got my orders today. I'm going to be an 8506, lab tech. Any opinions from the HM's?

Why did you pick a c-school out of a-school? Bad idea IMO.

Lab tech orders are long too. Like, 3-4 years? So you can get stuck somewhere awesome or somewhere lovely. Every lab tech I met absolutely hated their job because they were so overworked. You can get some civilian equivalent certs to work as a lab tech so I guess that's good? Most I've talked to want nothing to do with lab poo poo when they get out but who knows.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Anyone here use an ecig? Picked up the habit in rehab and now it's pretty sweet. I now get what all the liking of tobacco is and how it just makes everything chill in its own way because this buzz is cool. Also, 86 days sober :toot:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

Anyone here use an ecig? Picked up the habit in rehab and now it's pretty sweet. I now get what all the liking of tobacco is and how it just makes everything chill in its own way because this buzz is cool. Also, 86 days sober :toot:

We call them e-dicks in our office. Congrats on the habit.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

Christoff posted:

Why did you pick a c-school out of a-school? Bad idea IMO.

Lab tech orders are long too. Like, 3-4 years? So you can get stuck somewhere awesome or somewhere lovely. Every lab tech I met absolutely hated their job because they were so overworked. You can get some civilian equivalent certs to work as a lab tech so I guess that's good? Most I've talked to want nothing to do with lab poo poo when they get out but who knows.

I didn't pick it. I asked to go 0000, but I have a 97 average and pissed off a bunch of my instructors, so now I get to be a lab tech.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Pandasmores posted:

Enjoy your lead vapor

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Pandasmores posted:

You're purposefully inhaling a vaporized version of a liquid that was designed in a lab to look like real smoke. What do you think is actually in the liquid? Smoke doesn't come in ready-to-vaporize liquid form.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
PENIS

Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalant System.

Enjoy suckin that penis, bro.

Also everyone I know that uses a PENIS is an incredible tool, and I am an a-school instructor and see tons of idiot navy kids using them. So congrats on being a giant douche.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

How anyone could pick up smoking after 20 is a mystery to me, that poo poo seems abnormal. I started smoking at 16 and quit at 23.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

DustyNuts posted:

How anyone could pick up smoking after 20 is a mystery to me, that poo poo seems abnormal. I started smoking at 16 and quit at 23.

I don't understand how a whole generation could grow up knowing how bad it is and even start. I mean, my grandmother smokes, doesn't wear a seatbelt, etc.... but that was normal back then...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I used to let the non-smoking sailors who worked for me take breaks just as often as the smokers did. Some chiefs didn't like it but it was one of those cases where I just played the noble card.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I used to let the non-smoking sailors who worked for me take breaks just as often as the smokers did. Some chiefs didn't like it but it was one of those cases where I just played the noble card.

I would periodically go topside to collect my sanity. I would stand in the smoke pit and not smoke. Called it a "fresh air break", but Chief didn't like them at first until I told him I needed to leave work so I could buy a pack of cigarettes so I didn't have to actually do anything while I was there... He really didn't like that. Then he realized 3/4ths of the division spent about 3/4ths of non-raining work days smoking.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

poopkitty posted:

We call them e-dicks in our office. Congrats on the habit.

Yeah, we call them robot dicks in mine.

"Where's Gary?"

"We went out to suck off Bender"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

I didn't pick it. I asked to go 0000, but I have a 97 average and pissed off a bunch of my instructors, so now I get to be a lab tech.

Well at least you didn't piss them off and get Psych Tech, so there's a bright side to it.

poo poo, I even dropped my GPA to like 80 trying to get them to take it away and they were like "lol no".

Meh, if sucking on a robot dick is going to cool me down when deep breathing, lifting, and meditation fails while also keeping me from wanting to eat poo poo away or purchase copious amounts of alcohol then I'll deeply inhale Bender's holy vapors, from Mom with love. That's weird that you guys get smoke breaks though. Guess because we are "healthcare professionals" and are asked to maintain an example of it when around the hospital we aren't allowed to have breaks.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If i ever became a chief I would be the biggest rear end in a top hat. I would gather up all the smokers after work and have them police the parking lot cigarette butts. Non smokers would get to go home early. That's why i'm never going to be a chief.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Pandasmores posted:

Well at least you didn't piss them off and get Psych Tech, so there's a bright side to it.

poo poo, I even dropped my GPA to like 80 trying to get them to take it away and they were like "lol no".

Meh, if sucking on a robot dick is going to cool me down when deep breathing, lifting, and meditation fails while also keeping me from wanting to eat poo poo away or purchase copious amounts of alcohol then I'll deeply inhale Bender's holy vapors, from Mom with love. That's weird that you guys get smoke breaks though. Guess because we are "healthcare professionals" and are asked to maintain an example of it when around the hospital we aren't allowed to have breaks.

Yeah man if it keeps you off the booze that's cool. First impression is you're a giant tool though. I assume you've accepted that but good on you for trying to get better. Lesser of evils or something but seriously e-cigs are better than drinking yourself to death or being fat.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 19, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/8f/8f39a431cce96575b362c98c3bcdaa37996c7872846a67eedc986d9bae93e5bc.jpg

addicted to e-cigs. sounds legit.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I used e-cigs to quit real cigs almost three years ago. I don't think I have used an e-cig in like 2 years. They can be a good way to stop smoking in my opinion, but why the duck would you choose that for a bad habit? It's not like they are a satisfying source of nicotine, I mean gently caress, you are in the navy, go buy a can of dip.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

bengy81 posted:

I used e-cigs to quit real cigs almost three years ago. I don't think I have used an e-cig in like 2 years. They can be a good way to stop smoking in my opinion, but why the duck would you choose that for a bad habit? It's not like they are a satisfying source of nicotine, I mean gently caress, you are in the navy, go buy a can of dip.

Yeah drop that queer pretense and do something self destructive! gently caress your neighbors wife!!! Suck start a shotgun! GOOOOOO NAVY!!!!!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
if you were in the navy and didnt heavily use tobacco you were prolly a pussy qu**r

E: problematic word censored for Whip

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

genderstomper58 posted:

if you were in the navy and didnt heavily use tobacco you were prolly a pussy qu**r

E: problematic word censored for Whip

If you don't dip cope you're a human being. Keep that Kodiak buckshot for your queermo kids, pussy.

Edit: Buckshot = bullshit . That is all.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Kawasaki Nun posted:

If you don't dip cope you're a human being. Keep that Kodiak buckshot for your queermo kids, pussy.

Edit: Buckshot = bullshit . That is all.

i brought skoal on deployments due to plastic cans :( :( :(

but yeah if you didnt dip cope long cut or snuff you were a piece of poo poo imo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

genderstomper58 posted:

i brought skoal on deployments due to plastic cans :( :( :(

but yeah if you didnt dip cope long cut or snuff you were a piece of poo poo imo

I used to dip shoal before I realised the sexual tyranasauraus I could be by dipping cope and.not being a pussy. No regrets

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Add to great privileges of being an officer: not having to fit in by dipping like an inbred hillbilly.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Add to great privileges of being an officer: not having to fit in by dipping like an inbred hillbilly.

Counterpoint: people don't open up about things quite like they do on the smoke deck at night.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Counterpoint: people don't open up about things quite like they do on the smoke deck at night.

I didn't say I didn't use tobacco, I just didn't have a wad of dip in my mouth and a gross plastic bottle in my coverall pocket at all times.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Dip bottle? I thought all the cool pros like the MAs here just swallowed their dip.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

I didn't say I didn't use tobacco, I just didn't have a wad of dip in my mouth and a gross plastic bottle in my coverall pocket at all times.

True, my roommate knocked his bottle over a time or two and goddamnit.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn't SNUS for Officers? You don't even have to get your delicate hands dirty.

Tobacco is stupid, and using it as an excuse for anything (avoiding another addiction, having a social life) is stupider.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

poopkitty posted:

Isn't SNUS for Officers? You don't even have to get your delicate hands dirty.

Tobacco is stupid, and using it as an excuse for anything (avoiding another addiction, having a social life) is stupider.

What if smoking gets you out of work

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cole posted:

:chiefsay: Go clean something or get back to the Army thread :chiefsay:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Schlabbalabba posted:

I would periodically go topside to collect my sanity. I would stand in the smoke pit and not smoke. Called it a "fresh air break", but Chief didn't like them at first until I told him I needed to leave work so I could buy a pack of cigarettes so I didn't have to actually do anything while I was there... He really didn't like that. Then he realized 3/4ths of the division spent about 3/4ths of non-raining work days smoking.

I did this. I'd also try to be the guy to do the cal shop / test gear run etc to get some fresh air, or just get lunch off-hull when I could. Screw being belowdecks all day in port. Mind I'd also be raring to start the day's work at like 0630 so by lunchtime I was generally done with the day's non-busy work anyway.

We had a couple officers who dipped, although at least one was prior enlisted. The submarine air was so full of oil and amine and other crap, and sub life so unhealthy in general, that the argument that smoking or tobacco use was bad for you sorta fell on deaf ears.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cole posted:

Shipmate if you've got time to lean

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Cole posted:

Man, you need to learn, Shippie. Carry a PMS card, a clipboard, and a green tool bag. Walk fast to a destination. Relax there. Walk to another one. Relax. Repeat as necessary.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Who the heck is Cole and why did the forum explode because of him?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Man, you need to learn, Shippie. Carry a PMS card, a clipboard, and a green tool bag. Walk fast to a destination. Relax there. Walk to another one. Relax. Repeat as necessary.

I was the DCPO for Radio on my last ship (lol) it was great, anytime work came up I just grabbed a toolbag and an MRC and walked off muttering about something I had to do, I promptly hosed off to one of the spaces where people I knew from engineering or combat systems hung out. I spent a good month worth of days hanging out in the control room below the forward RAM sponson. 50 degree AC in the Persian Gulf owns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Who the heck is Cole and why did the forum explode because of him?

Army guy that just got out. Toxxed himself that he wouldn't post in the army thread for a month. Whip is just loving with him.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
loving Army always has to ruin it for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I did this. I'd also try to be the guy to do the cal shop / test gear run etc to get some fresh air, or just get lunch off-hull when I could. Screw being belowdecks all day in port. Mind I'd also be raring to start the day's work at like 0630 so by lunchtime I was generally done with the day's non-busy work anyway.

We had a couple officers who dipped, although at least one was prior enlisted. The submarine air was so full of oil and amine and other crap, and sub life so unhealthy in general, that the argument that smoking or tobacco use was bad for you sorta fell on deaf ears.

In Groton, at least twice a week, a few of us in Nav Div and eventually the whole division would go to the bowling alley, get lunch, and go into the pub and watch The Price is Right on the big screens... Eventually, at 1100, none of the screens would be on sports, we got them all changed over to PiR and after a while they were always on PiR even when we weren't there. It became the thing. While we were there, we would play Super Chexx, table tennis, shuffleboard, etc. It is actually my fondest memory of being on subs...

• Locked thread