Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Terrestrial science-grabbing was actually pretty intuitive to me. I remember after getting the update, I started a Career and launched my first rocket and got some "above Kerbin" and "low Kerbin orbit" science, splashed down in the ocean, then wondered if there was oceanic reporting/sampling. EVA'd, discovered there was, proceeded to scour Kerbin for biomes.

Since apparently asteroid chain bases are about to be big science money, I wrangled a class B yesterday and put it into a 200km orbit to meet up with my original class C base at 100km. A quick question, though; I reused one of my space station modules which brings up 15 girder lengths of scaffolding (with docking ports and solar panels) to attach to the four-clawed mini base I'd put on the class C, as shown here:

I also put Jeb, Bill, and Bob in the bigass unmaneuverable ship and deorbited them. However, I noticed that after detaching and speeding up time, the asteroid moved a little despite being attached by 3 claws, and shook the station. Since I was controlling an unattached nearby ship, when I sped up time again, the ship force-stabilized itself, and when I came out of time warp again, it rattled even more violently, exploding off the asteroid into little tiny pieces. I didn't really notice the asteroid-claw migration happening before I'd attached anything to the base, is it just something I'm going to have to watch out for as I add more things? I'm going to try and have a small, double-ended claw/RCS module to hook up this class C with the class B, and maybe give up this four-pronged monstrosity. I'm hoping that will add stability. For the moment, with the girder segments attached in a row, it's highly unstable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'd go with three prongs at an absolute max. Asteroids are bumpy and so the four attach points for your claws are unlikely to be on the same plane. This is likely to create tension. You don't have this problem with three attach points.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Here it is. It's not completed yet, but it's meant to replace Strechy SRB's when it is.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

sckye posted:

Actually, that's not really a concern. If you tip your rocket right, you don't need to touch the controls or use SAS at all, assuming it's balanced (and isn't a flying brick). It will continue to tip over gradually, the rate of which you can control with thrust. Also, the alternator on the engine will make electricity concerns a non-issue.

Do you not get that these are really unintuitive considering the rest of the game though? I know how to make balanced rockets, as I said, I've gotten to all of the planets, but it's crazy that the new experience requires new players to understand how to balance their ship perfectly and control their manoeuvring with gimballed thrust (the only way I can think of a player even learning about engines having gimbals is randomly right-clicking on liquid and solid rockets on the launchpad, it's certainly not covered in any tutorial).

Doesn't it make far more sense to give new players all of the assistance they'd need early on and then allow them to do without later on, than to demand they do it without aid and then give them ways of making it easier later?

As to using your rocket to charge your electricity, that's teaching players something that's completely counter-intuitive to how most people are going to be generating power through the rest of the game. Isn't it design 101 to make the first encounter with a mechanic consistent with how it's used in future?

I really hope this stuff is a first draft, because for someone who likes the game and stuck 150 hours into Sandbox mode, it's a series of arbitrary hoops to jump through, I can't imagine how confusing it'd be for someone genuinely new to the game who didn't know these mechanics.

RubberJohnny fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 20, 2014

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

From a few pages back;

Nazattack posted:

I'm playing Sandbox and Intersteller keeps nagging me about a tech tree update. :argh:

Are you using the latest version of Interstellar? Is there anything in particular you're doing that causes it to nag you? Its recent-ish update included a new tech node, so I'd updated my tree in my career save when it asked - after that, I haven't seen any popups from it.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

pun pundit posted:

I'd go with three prongs at an absolute max. Asteroids are bumpy and so the four attach points for your claws are unlikely to be on the same plane. This is likely to create tension. You don't have this problem with three attach points.

Only 3 of the four prongs are attached, but you're right, I had to get the thing swinging a decent amount before the second and third claws grabbed hold. I'll just aim to have a single linker between the two asteroids when I get them close together.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So, if youre not using ALCOR, go get it. The old version was good, the new version is basically the straight up gold standard of how IVA should be and basically makes this a new game.

about 3/4 of those panels are actual working switches. Everything from fuel reserves and meters to internal lighting, node control and all sorts of functional fidly bits, there's even switches for the external cameras where they will auto track your target. It is incredible, even the props are great. All sorts of landing manuals and clutter, it even puts the pilot names on the back of their seats.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I've asked this before, but is there any way of interacting with RPM/Alcor using the keyboard?

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

The quoted bit is about FAR, actually. I edited that in as a reply to the post below mine. Stock drag model is dumb and pretty easy to control. The game would benefit from a tutorial, but as Maxmaps said - they're working on that.

Balancing your ship should pretty much be common sense though? If you put a lot more weight on only one side of the rocket it's pretty reasonable to assume that your rocket is going to be spinning in circles if you try to fly that way. The Center of Mass/Lift/Thrust indicators are useful there. Again, tutorial would help.

The gimbal thrust vectoring is helpful, but not necessary. It's briefly explained in the lv-t45 engine description, the first engine that gets them, that it helps to aid in craft control. One of the earliest nodes you can unlock is the Stability one, which lets you put winglets on your rocket - and that's enough, again assuming you're not building a towering monstrosity. Flight Control comes right after with its reaction wheels and is on the same tech level as batteries, when you actually start needing them. I see it as more of a soft limit on how crazy you can get at the start than anything else.

The alternators never stop being a thing. Most of the engines have them on and they're meant to supplement, not replace energy generation.
For example: The first launch, you can't run out of electricity as long as you have fuel. Then you get gimballing and then electricity stops mattering, as long as you have fuel. (The trend being that if you run out of fuel at any point other than when you're already heading home, electricity is the least of your concerns.) Then you get batteries and solar panels and electricity is never a concern again, save for probe cores and transmitting science (which I view as useless, unless you're sending a probe on a one-way trip).

Me, I started playing the game with 0.22, right as science and career mode was introduced. Honestly, learning the orbital mechanics was a lot harder than learning how to do the sciency bits. The first time I ever only ever noticed I ran out of electricity was when I got in orbit around the Mun. That was with the lv-909, which has no alternator.. but it has a gimbal. So as long as you've got fuel, you've got control - and you can get back home.

A lot of :words: from me as well, so in short: the game can certainly be polished, but it is by no means inaccessible.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

So, if youre not using ALCOR, go get it. The old version was good, the new version is basically the straight up gold standard of how IVA should be and basically makes this a new game.

about 3/4 of those panels are actual working switches. Everything from fuel reserves and meters to internal lighting, node control and all sorts of functional fidly bits, there's even switches for the external cameras where they will auto track your target. It is incredible, even the props are great. All sorts of landing manuals and clutter, it even puts the pilot names on the back of their seats.

those look cool as hell. Question though: I've been using MFD and been really pleased with it, but one of its shortcomings is that it doesn't show the projected periapsis of an intercept body - for instance, if I'm orbiting Kerbin and want to go to the Mun, I can't find a display that tells me what my current Mun periapsis will be. Obviously I use manoevre nodes to do the heavy lifting, but for finetuning the periapsis I'd love an internal screen. It's one of the few things I need to use the map for. Does this offer that kind of functionality?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Spaceman Future! posted:

So this is where Kerbal meets Orbiter. Now I want my Delta Glider IV and my shuttles!

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Hremsfeld posted:

From a few pages back;

Are you using the latest version of Interstellar? Is there anything in particular you're doing that causes it to nag you? Its recent-ish update included a new tech node, so I'd updated my tree in my career save when it asked - after that, I haven't seen any popups from it.

The only save I have is sandbox, but I will make a career one and see if that will make it go away when I get home later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I’m interested in spaceplanes, what mods should I install?

FAR and Procedural Wings are obvious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KSP interstellar introduces some new engines which are interesting from a spaceplane perspective, such as engines which run entirely on air.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I never go beyond Duna and Eve because there's always a new patch and I always restart from scratch, but this time Operation MohoRockoExplo is a gogo. Trouble is, I'm having issues getting there quickly and efficiently; I can't manage to get an encounter from LKO and when I do get one, I arrive at speeds way beyond my nukes' capacity. So, what would be the non-:jeb: way to both save on fuel and spare my kerbonauts succumbing to space madness through X orbits around the sun? I like doing things like a real rocketman (i.e. push the buttons people smarter than me tell me to push) so I've followed Protractor (works fine for Duna and Eve) and other calculators, but Moho's crazy orbit and inclination seem to confuse things (the calculators or me. Or both. Probably mostly me, though)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Maybe Firespitter, it has propellers, both fuel-driven and electric-driven ones. The electric propellers should be useful for flying on planets with a non-oxygen atmosphere.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Early science can be easily had using the initial parts by building a small runabout type doohickey. Like this one, with three more engines than it needs for extra safety!

As you can see the parachutes enhance its safety by a large margin.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Is there any obvious reason why kerbal engineer wouldn't be showing me the delta-v information for my booster stages? That's kind of where I need it the most.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did you install the engineer update for 0.23.5 (which the spaceport thread calls "experimental")? Mine did not calculate dvs for the ARM parts until I did so.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

haveblue posted:

Did you install the engineer update for 0.23.5 (which the spaceport thread calls "experimental")? Mine did not calculate dvs for the ARM parts until I did so.
Since I'm totally unaware of what you're talking about, I'm assuming that I didn't. I'll give that a try.

edit: Yep, that was it. I guess. Because man, these are some terrible deltas...

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 21, 2014

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Realistic Progression Lite 19a is out now. However, keep in mind that

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Is there a consensus on the best graphical overhaul mod now? Searching on the spaceport for some of that 4k stuff is pretty hard... I'm finding the spaceport sucks unless you know exactly what you want to download

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Is there a consensus on the best graphical overhaul mod now? Searching on the spaceport for some of that 4k stuff is pretty hard... I'm finding the spaceport sucks unless you know exactly what you want to download

Use google. Seriously, it works way better than spaceport atm.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

double nine posted:

those look cool as hell. Question though: I've been using MFD and been really pleased with it, but one of its shortcomings is that it doesn't show the projected periapsis of an intercept body - for instance, if I'm orbiting Kerbin and want to go to the Mun, I can't find a display that tells me what my current Mun periapsis will be. Obviously I use manoevre nodes to do the heavy lifting, but for finetuning the periapsis I'd love an internal screen. It's one of the few things I need to use the map for. Does this offer that kind of functionality?

ALCOR has the same functionality on the screens as the MFD, RPM was actually designed for ALCOR its the same guy. So unfortunately the same functionality exists there. I havent found a good IVA method for node planning or advanced navigation, but once you have your planning done everything can be cone via the IVA toggles with a few small exceptions (no way to view individual tank fuel levels, just the stage, no way to undock), but the mod author has said he is working on those as well. If he could find a way to integrate the maneuver node planner into the IVA in a usable way and if the vessel view guy goes to the next level with his mod (tagging for fuel levels on parts, control of tweakables) then it could be a complete first person experience. Even as it sits it is like 90% of the way there.

Also, in IVA news, the Taurus HCV guys just did a first pass of an IVA:

Not as comprehensive but has a much better outside view. Id love to see something with ALCOR functionality and a windscreen like that.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Environmental Visual Enhancements and Better atmospheres together are insane. They also bump pretty hard against the memory limit and can cause instability.. but man they look nice.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Why do my totally symmetrical designs start spinning. :(

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I decided to get a bunch of science from minmus, but flying all the way back for each biome is a pain. So I built a space station.

And the lander is a little weird, probably inefficient, and after I got it out there I realized I don't get the crew report science. But it was fun to build and it is fun to fly, so!

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

That, unfortunately, is a 95% full Jumbomax tank in the background. Couldn't stay attached and standing with it. First Ike landing, first Duna landing on the red stuff (in the same trip!) and an uneventful return home for this big ol load o' science:

Fuckin' A, now on to building my asteroid base.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strudel Man posted:

You need more struts.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

First IVA only Mun landing! Pretty awesome, the actual altitude indicator on the terrain height map makes this so much easier.

Also, nailed the return

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

B9 Aerospace if it's been updated to work with 0.23.5, I didn't install it this time because I wanted to take the rocket route.

Strudel Man posted:

Are you using fuel lines?

Also strut your side mounted boosters. The radial decouplers will flex under thrust and induce spinning.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Strudel Man posted:

Bug in the latest release, my Duna mission partially failed because my lander couldn't dock to the main ship again, both started spinning without SAS on despite both having 0 throttle.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

whiteshark12 posted:

Bug in the latest release, my Duna mission partially failed because my lander couldn't dock to the main ship again, both started spinning without SAS on despite both having 0 throttle.

I encountered this today too. I'm pretty sure only the new huge parts do it

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I'm getting some spinning with smaller crafts that are totally symmetric and that use no fuel lines. What's the fuel lines thing all about? Are they really throwing things out of balance now? Also what has changed to induce all this spinning. It would be a pain if you now have to have perfect symmetry on lighter crafts now.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Overwined posted:

I'm getting some spinning with smaller crafts that are totally symmetric and that use no fuel lines. What's the fuel lines thing all about? Are they really throwing things out of balance now? Also what has changed to induce all this spinning. It would be a pain if you now have to have perfect symmetry on lighter crafts now.

I had no fuel lines and was perfectly symmetrical. We'll see what they find I guess.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I think it's the game messing up collision meshes, your best bet is to just rebuild the rocket from scratch, fixes the issue most of the time.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zaran posted:

I think it's the game messing up collision meshes, your best bet is to just rebuild the rocket from scratch, fixes the issue most of the time.

Or use the Engine mode of RCSBuildAid to see if your rocket is going to fly true in the VAB (pull the stages apart to see per stage). You'd be surprised at just how much torque one itty bitty box off to one side makes.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35996-0-23-x-RCS-Build-Aid-v0-4-6-ARM-patch-fixes

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Speaking of bugs.

This is a simple lifter with 4 liquid fueled cores attached radially, but somehow it turned into this upon launch.

The whole .craft file got screwed up somehow. Even when I tried to take it apart in the VAB, the game bugged out and had to be restarted.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

I never go beyond Duna and Eve because there's always a new patch and I always restart from scratch, but this time Operation MohoRockoExplo is a gogo. Trouble is, I'm having issues getting there quickly and efficiently; I can't manage to get an encounter from LKO and when I do get one, I arrive at speeds way beyond my nukes' capacity. So, what would be the non-:jeb: way to both save on fuel and spare my kerbonauts succumbing to space madness through X orbits around the sun? I like doing things like a real rocketman (i.e. push the buttons people smarter than me tell me to push) so I've followed Protractor (works fine for Duna and Eve) and other calculators, but Moho's crazy orbit and inclination seem to confuse things (the calculators or me. Or both. Probably mostly me, though)

Since no one has replied yet, I will!

Moho is a bitch for the opposite reasons Eve is: low gravity, no atmosphere, and you'll almost always have a high velocity coming in and you've got to nearly kill all of it.

Plan to bring a ton of fuel, more if you're going to the surface. Also, some extra to account for course correction. The hardest part is the encounter and braking. For the encounter, Moho's inclination will throw off Protactor's calculation. Get close, then adjust once you're outside Kerbin's SoI. For the braking, you'll have to kill around 5-6km/s. Multiple NERVAs should help shorten the burn.

Once you're in orbit, it's pretty standard. There's no atmosphere so it's like a Mun landing with higher gravity. I want to say it takes about 2km/s of dV to get back into orbit. Maybe a bit less. And then it's another 2km/s or so of dV to return to Kerbin.

So you're looking at 10-12km/s minimum just for getting into Moho orbit, land, return to orbit, and return to Kerbin. It's 2km/s for escaping Kerbin and getting the encounter. So now you're at 12-14km/s. It's not as tough as Eve but it's a good "medium" difficulty.

The good thing about it is you get frequent windows so if you fail or miss one, another is right around the corner.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Thwomp posted:

Moho is a bitch etc...

My Moho solution involved sending two spacecraft out simultaneously, one with a lab and another with a lander, with the plan of combining their remaining fuel in orbit, scuttling the excess bits, and flying back with nothing but a crew capsule on a heap of fuel and engines.

I ended up cocking it up and having to send a third ship just for refueling purposes. But after just a few years of unexpected added length, the mission returned to Kerbin a success!

This is why I don't play with the Life Support mod...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My moho solution is typically "exploit the poo poo out of nervas."

• Locked thread