Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hyperriker posted:

Are you trying to tell me there's an issue with officiating in the national rugby league rugby football league?

Normally they're not quite incompetent enough to forget how the final siren works.

Normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

What is wrong with the NRL at the moment and not being able to rule when games end? That's the third extremely questionable try that's been scored after the bell this year, and the first to cost a team two points.
Dragons need to learn how to tackle

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

bowmore posted:

And McKinnon needs to learn how to walk. But what does that have to do with what we're discussing?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Well, they finally learned how to score more than 1 try a game so there's a chance they can pick this up too.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Mills posted:

And McKinnon needs to learn how to walk. But what does that have to do with what we're discussing?

I shouldn't have laughed at this.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Mills posted:

:drat:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

I shouldn't have laughed at this.

I'm currently cheering on a team that includes Braith, I'm sure we're all going to hell for various reasons already.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Unsurprising but good news for the Knights, Mullen signed until 2018.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
That looked a lot like obstruction to me, it's the decoy's responsibility to avoid Sutton.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I can understand why they allowed it, but I dont hold with it. There is no excuse to run behind your own guy.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

:horse:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

There's another obstruction call I don't understand.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Checking in from the delta lounge at los Angeles airport to say lol at the Rabbitohs losing yet again :-)

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I hope Sky/Fox get their poo poo together before the first grade game. The U20s game keeps cutting out.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The Warriors reserve grade coach must be loving his options right now - Mateo, Townsend, Hurrell, Locke, Tuimivave, Lolohea et al.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I've got a good feeling about the Warriors tonight. C'mon the 'riors!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I've got a good feeling about the Warriors tonight. C'mon the 'riors!

We don't win at Woolongong (or v the Dragons in general), staying within 16 would be an achievement.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

We don't win at Woolongong (or v the Dragons in general), staying within 16 would be an achievement.

I still believe.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Neilsen is so draining. This guy played multiple games of origin and wasn't out of place ffs.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Nielsen needs to go back to his home planet and die. Tompkins is cool though.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Yep, as expected obstruction rules still apply when the Warriors have the ball.

edit: wtf Merrin clearly lost that into the tackler, to the extent that a supporting player came in to hold the ball as well to make it less obvious.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Neilsen has been attempting that play since he came to the club, finally.

Also gently caress off Dugan you got trampled.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Only 10, it wasn't a complete blowout :negative:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

It's blowing my mind that Neilsen isn't just some random not good enough kid from South Auckland. I've seen people on fire with more composure than him.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

This game swings between brilliant and godawful.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Really don't understand how that wasn't a try to Waqa.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

Really don't understand how that wasn't a try to Waqa.

They hosed up the call onfield and there was nothing clearly showing the ball grounded over the line so the video ref had no choice. Great stuff from Canberra at the end and gently caress Melbourne of course but that call cost Melbourne the game.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress Melbourne always applies, and they can't complain about being robbed after the Dragons game last week.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

gently caress Melbourne always applies, and they can't complain about being robbed after the Dragons game last week.

To me last weeks call was a big drama over a split-second timing issue, not worth the histrionics it lead to. This one was pure incompetence.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Gotta say the Roosters/Sharks game was decided more by gently caress-ups than actual good play - Carney's horrible cross-field kick that Kenny-Dowell picked up for a 95m try, and some missed tackles by the Roosters to let in a Sharks try as well. But the Tuivasa-Sheck beat-5-tacklers-and-spin-move was a worthwhile highlight. Putting him at FB long-term could really up the Roosters' game.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Tuivasa-Sheck has been a better fullback than Mini for at least 12 months. When Mini's bad, he actively hurts the team. But you can't mess with the captain and all that bullshit. To their credit, they are changing positions when the Roosters are in possession in the attacking half, so they can at least see their future. I don't know why they're being mentioned as a destination for Tedesco, they're set at fullback for the next ten years.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Smorgasbord posted:

They hosed up the call onfield and there was nothing clearly showing the ball grounded over the line so the video ref had no choice. Great stuff from Canberra at the end and gently caress Melbourne of course but that call cost Melbourne the game.

I agree but I'm biased. I also was getting more and more frustrated with what the refs will allow smith to get away with so call it karma. He blatantly took Croker out to protect Slater late in the game. No penalty of course.

Melbourne have bigger issues than a bad ref decision if they can get bamboozled by a prop forward from about 25m out anyway. I do love Paul Vaughan though. He will fix a lot of the raiders issues by himself in the lumbering prop department.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9963636/Benji-Marshall-to-return-to-NRL

Benji's on his way back to the NRL, team TBC. I thought he said he never wanted to play against the Tigers, so this sounds odd.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Nice pass, Hayne.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Nice pass, Sandow

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

This is 14-6 if the Eels had a little more red zone composure.

E: Does anyone else see the sponsor's name on the back of the Eels' jersey and see "CUNTBET"?

Jono C fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 21, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Listening to abc radio in bed in New York City at 4am, come the gently caress on tigers!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I don't know if radio can convey the hilarity of the last 5 minutes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Listening to abc radio in bed in New York City at 4am, come the gently caress on tigers!
Enjoy the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've only seen two of these games and I'll be damned if I'm reading through the boring-rear end Wikipedia entry, so: Why do players typically just charge ahead with the ball instead of trying to create an opening through passing? Is there a limit to how many laterals/back passes you can make, or are they just worried about the possibility of a turnover?

• Locked thread