Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sekkira posted:

Was anybody recording it? I mean properly recording with a decent camera(or cameras) on tripod and audio equipment, not on their cell phone.

I'd love to watch that.
Well it was live broadcasting from the main auditorium to the secondary one where all the overflow people went. I'm not sure if that means it was also legit recorded or not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVSYA1RnSMQ

Haha, good laugh.

Sekkira posted:

Was anybody recording it? I mean properly recording with a decent camera(or cameras) on tripod and audio equipment, not on their cell phone.

I'd love to watch that.

While it is a little older this talk with Neil and Stephen Colbert (mostly out of character) is a good indication of the general tone of his talks, when not in a panel line-up anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh9RQCvxmg

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 15, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

euphronius posted:

The universe was so dense no radiation could escape.

I think.

From what I understand, it was more that the early universe was so hot that even what we think of as the basic building blocks of matter couldn't exist. It took a while for the universe to cool down enough to start coalescing into things like electrons, protons, and neutrons.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 15, 2014

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

drunkill posted:

While it is a little older this talk with Neil and Stephen Colbert (mostly out of character) is a good indication of the general tone of his talks, when not in a panel line-up anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh9RQCvxmg

Yeah, I've watched this a while ago and a bunch other talks he's done. Which is why I'd be interested in seeing the latest talk as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He talked about developing his character and the science behind the Superman comic he was in with DC Comics, as well as how the time travel scenario from the Terminator movies could have been simplified, among other topics. Stuff y'all really would have enjoyed :D

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He talked about developing his character and the science behind the Superman comic he was in with DC Comics, as well as how the time travel scenario from the Terminator movies could have been simplified, among other topics. Stuff y'all really would have enjoyed :D

Clearly you should have been transcribing every word for us, Rageaholic Monkey! :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If people are interested or want to lwarn more about radio astronomy and the future of the field I suggest you listen to a bit of this Q&A panel about the Australian portion of the Square Kilometer Array which is to be built over the next decade. It goes into the capability of the project and what it aims to achieve using terms you'll be familiar with due to watching Cosmos.

If you want to skip the intro go to ~1 minute 40 and watch for the film before the panel discussion for a ton of information.

Looking back to the Big Bang: the SKA telescope's unlimited potential: http://youtu.be/0mlPhCTnEDA

http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/uncategorized/ska-event-speaker-biographies/

drunkill fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

New episode!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
poo poo, he's playing Populous!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

There's your goddamn 6,000 years :dawkins101: :pseudo:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
They can do this kind of crazy stuff with rocks, but could only muster some half-assed pile of poo poo for photosynthesis?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

An episode on the development of carbon dating and refuting the Biblical age of the Earth; incoming conservative backlash tomorrow :getin:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

He's like Earth-Magneto....Earthneto

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pulling apart the layers of the Grand Canyon was a neat visual

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

William T. Hornaday posted:

They can do this kind of crazy stuff with rocks, but could only muster some half-assed pile of poo poo for photosynthesis?

I'm hoping there'll be lots of deleted scenes on the BR/DVD.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

He's like Earth-Magneto....Earthneto

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I feel ashamed that I forgot about him

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Hallucinations in the grocery store?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Way to go, dude. Freaking out your little girl.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hallucinations in the grocery store?
I think he's a germaphobe?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Kevin Durant with the most nonchalant blastoff ever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

achillesforever6 posted:

I think he's a germaphobe?

Leadaphobe actually.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Leadaphobe actually.

Canned-soup-aphobe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Oh god spectrometery, I hated that subject.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is "duck soup" some old timey thing?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh god spectrometery, I hated that subject.

Somebody call Mark Ruffalo.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

That dude seemed evil.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I got a Metalocalypse flashback from that scene

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

That dude seemed evil.
Probably forcing his data :argh:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

This is a very strange segment.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

God I can't believe its been nearly 4 years since I was in the forum

Hahahah I bet the Christians are going to love hearing that Christmas was made to convert Pagans.

E: Yeah being a mining slave in Ancient Rome suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 21, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
gently caress you, lead.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

we even had lead propaganda :allears:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Hahahah I bet the Christians are going to love hearing that Christmas was made to convert Pagans.

You say this like it isn't common knowledge.

They literally told us that in Sunday school.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Gay Electric Light

an awesome band name

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't have a kid's book without a pair of rubbers.

Sash! posted:

You say this like it isn't common knowledge.

They literally told us that in Sunday school.

You must have gone to one of those commie, liberal, fake churches.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If I didn't like my name I'd want a mod to change it to Gay Electric Light

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Looney gas!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

gently caress you rear end in a top hat lead scientist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I assumed lead was everywhere because of its low melting point, not a PR onslaught

• Locked thread