Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Okay, Double Cross fans. I really liked how the book was described in the Fatal and Friends write-up and in the character generation thread. But I am not sure about using the default setting with my usual group.

I can kind of picture the Encroachment Rate (which I find very cool) being reskinned as % dragon or mindless undead or whatever, depending on the character, in a fantasy game. Besides redoing the table of NPCs, would this be an insane amount of work? Are the rules tied in so closely with the setting that reskinning them is far more hassle than it's worth?

Also, what exactly is in the Advanced Guide? Just more items, powers, and NPCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sionak posted:

Okay, Double Cross fans. I really liked how the book was described in the Fatal and Friends write-up and in the character generation thread. But I am not sure about using the default setting with my usual group.

I can kind of picture the Encroachment Rate (which I find very cool) being reskinned as % dragon or mindless undead or whatever, depending on the character, in a fantasy game. Besides redoing the table of NPCs, would this be an insane amount of work? Are the rules tied in so closely with the setting that reskinning them is far more hassle than it's worth?
The mechanics and fluff are pretty easy to separate out, so you should be able to keep most of the powers as-is. Although some Syndromes like Morpheus or Black Dog won't be as useful since they're a little more dependent on "technology".

quote:

Also, what exactly is in the Advanced Guide? Just more items, powers, and NPCs?
Pretty much. There are new "trait Loises" which are better powers you can take in place of one of your permanent Lois slots (so you have a kick-rear end unique power, but it's harder for you to keep your Encroachment down), villain-only powers, unique virus-powered items, and an expansion of the default setting with about twice as many NPCs. There's other stuff there too but that's probably the main thrust of the book.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The main changes would be to equipment; Morpheus and Black Dog would be the most heavily impacted if you don't have equivalent guns and vehicles for a few powers, and some Neumann powers are geared towards firearms. Overall, it wouldn't be severe, but the existence of guns is generally an assumption, and if bows or crossbows work differently, that'd be a change. There's some utility powers that rely on the existence of technology as well, so it depends on how you want to reskin things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Morpheus may not need that much of a tweak, if you assume that instead of guns you're making infinite throwing knives/arrows/whatever. I'm at work so I can't thumb through the book to really check though.

I wish they'd do a PDF. :(

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be fair you could probably just allow the Black Dog cybernetics stuff unchanged with the assumption that it's more "Slowly altering your body to be mechanical" instead of "Because I generate so much electricity that I can power supertech prosthetic that can't be powered normally" Marvel comics style transmode virus Techno-organic stuff. Though that makes that side of Black Dog overlap heavily with Chimera, I supposes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Or you're part golem or whatever. Alternately, on the more gruesome end, you could be part Frankenstein, powered by self-galvanization.

But yeah, weapons are mostly just damage values with a range and maybe a special effect, so it's mostly just a question of what the special effect for a crossbow or throwing knives would be, if any.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Or you're part golem or whatever. Alternately, on the more gruesome end, you could be part Frankenstein, powered by self-galvanization.

Both options are equally :black101:. If you wanted to be a little more mundane you could just fuse armor to your limbs.

Just skimming the Morpheus powers, the only ones that wouldn't really work for fantasy are Ace Driver and Vehicle Morph, unless you used them to turn horse-drawn carts into Spartacus-style death chariots or something.

Black Dog isn't as bad as it looks, though. There's only two powers that really directly deal with "cybernetics" in the core book: Cyber Arm and Cyber Leg. The "On Air & Tapping" and "Radio Wave Jamming" simple powers wouldn't fit either.

But really, everything else can probably be refluffed easily to fit the trad fantasy mold. You'd just need a different Job table and that's it.

Man, now I really want to play this. A fantasy world where there's no magic or weird races, then all of a sudden people with these powers start appearing. If I wasn't insanely bad at finishing any project I started, I'd try my hand at writing it.

e: You know, looking at the list of settings, I'm surprised there isn't just a traditional fantasy style setting already. I think DX would lend itself well to the kind of setting Exalted tries to be; super-powerful demigods in a world of mundanes, fighting demons and carving out empires.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Both options are equally :black101:. If you wanted to be a little more mundane you could just fuse armor to your limbs.

Just skimming the Morpheus powers, the only ones that wouldn't really work for fantasy are Ace Driver and Vehicle Morph, unless you used them to turn horse-drawn carts into Spartacus-style death chariots or something.

Black Dog isn't as bad as it looks, though. There's only two powers that really directly deal with "cybernetics" in the core book: Cyber Arm and Cyber Leg. The "On Air & Tapping" and "Radio Wave Jamming" simple powers wouldn't fit either.

But really, everything else can probably be refluffed easily to fit the trad fantasy mold. You'd just need a different Job table and that's it.

Man, now I really want to play this. A fantasy world where there's no magic or weird races, then all of a sudden people with these powers start appearing. If I wasn't insanely bad at finishing any project I started, I'd try my hand at writing it.

e: You know, looking at the list of settings, I'm surprised there isn't just a traditional fantasy style setting already. I think DX would lend itself well to the kind of setting Exalted tries to be; super-powerful demigods in a world of mundanes, fighting demons and carving out empires.

I had a similar thought. When I was reading the Exalted thread discussion about Limit, I was thinking that it could be a bit like Encroachment Rate, but with different ways of accumulating it. Then I decided that I'd just rather read through Double Cross and give that a shot, instead.

I was having a lot of run picturing re-skins of Encroachment Rate for different fantasy archetypes - consuming rage for a barbarian, being overcome by your own magic for a wizard, or getting to be a Cackler for a Discworld-style witch.

I saw on the setting list that there's a more samurai-type version, but I do really like the idea of doing a fantasy game where things are just starting to get weird - starting with our player characters, of course. You could do it as an alternate history, where instead of the Black Death Europe is hit with the Renegade virus instead.

Thanks for all the input - I'm pretty satisfied now that I'll be able to run some sort of game with it and will be picking up a copy soon.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The mailman just delivered Phantom Thief and I am super excited to give it a rundown. It's about 25 pages and has nice, big text and illustrations. Andy was a peach making these available and if the 7DRL wasn't this next week I'd get cracking on it right away.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish they'd do a PDF. :(

Just got the book, and I have to agree with that. I don't really expect my players to shell out for a copy, which means I'll probably be copying all those nicely formatted powers into a spreadsheet to print out for my own reference cards. Which seems like a shame, because they're so well formatted to start with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wonder how much it'd cost to have a deck of cards printed up through one of those print-on-demand services you see on BoardGameGeek.

How many powers/cards are there all told?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That'd be tremendously convenient, but is it strictly legal?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Finally, FINALLY got to reading the Tenra Bansho Zero rulebook and lorebook, some many many months after the fact.

HOT *drat* THIS IS HEAVY METAL.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Desty posted:

That'd be tremendously convenient, but is it strictly legal?

Having them printed out on cardstock would be significantly more elaborate and expensive than just photocopying them at the library, but as long as you're only reproducing them for personal use, I don't figure the method matters much. Of course, APS knew full well that this question would come up and has full decks of data cards on offer themselves (with full-color art!), which would almost certainly be the easier option...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Finally, FINALLY got to reading the Tenra Bansho Zero rulebook and lorebook, some many many months after the fact.

HOT *drat* THIS IS HEAVY METAL.

It's pretty great. Of course as say this I am currently statting up an Ayakashi for the create-a-character thread that is basically a gun that was used so much it and cared for for so long and so well that it became a person and is now kind of guilty about all the murdering it did, so I may be biased.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's pretty great. Of course as say this I am currently statting up an Ayakashi for the create-a-character thread that is basically a gun that was used so much it and cared for for so long and so well that it became a person and is now kind of guilty about all the murdering it did, so I may be biased.

Well, I know what concept I'm stealing when my friend eventually runs for my tabletop group.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Now you have me wanting to try and recreate Touhou characters in there. :v:

And recreate Raiden as a kijin. And make Metal Gear REX as a yoroi armor. And--- :suicide:

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Now you have me wanting to try and recreate Touhou characters in there. :v:

Hell, the setting's practically Space Gensokyo already!

(TBZ for the youkai hunting, GSS for the tea parties... hmmmm...)

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Hell, the setting's practically Space Gensokyo already!

(TBZ for the youkai hunting, GSS for the tea parties... hmmmm...)

Maid RPG for a wacky housekeeping sitcom set in the Scarlet Manor where the PCs are fairy maids trying not to do anything too suicidally dumb?

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 14, 2014

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Having them printed out on cardstock would be significantly more elaborate and expensive than just photocopying them at the library, but as long as you're only reproducing them for personal use, I don't figure the method matters much. Of course, APS knew full well that this question would come up and has full decks of data cards on offer themselves (with full-color art!), which would almost certainly be the easier option...

Yeah, I was thinking of making the reference Excel file (9 powers done so far! One review of the book said there's 180 powers - I haven't counted to keep from getting discouraged) and then just printing the relevant card for my players. If I'm getting really fancy, maybe put them in a card sleeve with a Poker card or a Magic land as backing.

I assume APS is the Japanese publisher? I'd love to see a deck for purchase, even without art - but I didn't see anything like that on Ver. Blue's website.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 14, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Maid RPG for a wacky housekeeping sitcom set in the Scarlet Manor where the PCs are fairy maids trying not to do anything too suicidally dumb?

Started out that way, then a creative use of Maid Powers managed to take Marisa into custody and the whole thing got derailed into preparing for her trial in the freshly-established Scarlet Court. Sadly, the group never was much good at coordinating schedules... :sigh:

Sionak posted:

I assume APS is the Japanese publisher?

"Adventure Planning Service", yep.

Sionak posted:

I'd love to see a deck for purchase, even without art - but I didn't see anything like that on Ver. Blue's website.

It's out of stock, but here's proof that one exists for Items, at least. I swear I saw decks for the other data types on sale somewhere once before, too, but can't find any trace of them now.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Conversation between me and Skype friends posted:

Friend: "What game is this and why should I care?"
Me: "It's Tenra Bansho Zero. You should care because mikos can command laser death satellites and you can make an Evangelion full of BEEEEEEES.
Friend: "SOLD!"

I love this game. :allears:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
The tragic thing to a sperglord like myself is that J-Tabletop games have such interesting settings tied to such questionable rules. I guess this is what FATE is for, but sort of the point of these games is running them as-is, with their rules quirks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I like a lot of TBZ's plot / metagames systems, and the world is rad, but the combat and skill resolution left me a bit cold.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 17, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Don't worry, friends! Come the Meikyuu Kingdom, mechanics will be interesting AND enjoyable! Can I get an amen?

In seriousness, I have to wonder if it's down to a difference in national culture or game culture. On one hand, you've got a situation where you basically play one-shots in wherever you can find enough space, whenever you can scrounge the time, so maybe there's not enough time to really suss out what's weird or not working with any given system. On the other hand, I feel like the authors of these systems make some assumptions that are just not in line with what I'm used to - I haven't had to reread rules sections of any of my wRPG books like this since I was into Rifts.

Or hell, maybe it's just weird translations sometimes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think Double Cross has a pretty solid and fun combat system, though it's subject to a high degree of system mastery. Honestly I think that it's mostly that a vast majority of RPGs have lousy systems anywhere you are. Though I have to wonder, given how Japanese marketing often works, how much playtesting JTRPGs go through.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Spoilers for Double Cross System mastery: Don't try to aim for High base encroachment+ almost no ways to gain it in scenes, it ends poorly. Also don't build around "I am a mecha pilot" as your sole gimmick.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I have a Double Cross system mastery question: Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Double Cross Resurrect is an Auto Action when Incapacitated that costs encroachment for HP, with no limit on how often it can be used except when you run over 100% encroachment right? So basically your remaining encroachment between your base and 100% can be treated as extra HP in addition to fueling your powers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think Double Cross has a pretty solid and fun combat system, though it's subject to a high degree of system mastery. Honestly I think that it's mostly that a vast majority of RPGs have lousy systems anywhere you are. Though I have to wonder, given how Japanese marketing often works, how much playtesting JTRPGs go through.

Yeah. I mean, at the end of the day, "most games are mechanically kinda crap and ill playtested" describes this hobby kinda regardless of what country you're in.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah. I mean, at the end of the day, "most games are mechanically kinda crap and ill playtested" describes this hobby kinda regardless of what country you're in.

Yeah, this. I'd say that TBZ had a decent amount of thought put into it, it's just that there's only so much playtesting and whatnot that can be done on this kind of budget.

At any rate I've seen more versatile systems do what they did much, much worse (like Shadowrun 5E :v: ). I think for all intents and purposes TBZ is *acceptable* at what it does.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Isn't the version of TBZ we got the second iteration, though?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Desty posted:

Isn't the version of TBZ we got the second iteration, though?

Yes, I believe so. Good point.

I dunno. Too busy being ecstatic about EVAs-full-of-bees to complain too much about the system. Especially when it's either that or suffer D&D edition war arguments elsewhere.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Even the second edition of Tenra that we got is about 14 years old- The original was published in '97 and TBZ was in 2000. So to put it into a historical perspective it hit its stride just when d20 was getting started over here. Judged from that perspective I think it's pretty solidly designed!

As for Double Cross and resurrection: Based on wording, I -think- resurrect only works if you're incapacitated. So it kind of does? So basically you have an extra pool of HP that only kicks in if you've get knocked out every fight until your encroach hits 100. You're almost certainly better off having someone around with one of the other healing powers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Even the second edition of Tenra that we got is about 14 years old- The original was published in '97 and TBZ was in 2000. So to put it into a historical perspective it hit its stride just when d20 was getting started over here. Judged from that perspective I think it's pretty solidly designed!
To my knowledge, there was no d20 craze, since d20s are unpopular in Japan, in Japan so it's not like that would have had an impact on their designs.

Unless you just meant its really old so some of its bad design choices could be forgiven.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Covok posted:

To my knowledge, there was no d20 craze, since d20s are unpopular in Japan, in Japan so it's not like that would have had an impact on their designs.

Unless you just meant its really old so some of its bad design choices could be forgiven.

The second one, mostly. I mean, it came out six years before Spirit of the Century and everyone trying to add Aspects to other games, even, just as a for-instance.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Hello thread. I'm going to be in Tokyo next week and am super excited about checking out this Yellow Submarine store! I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations for me while I'm there. I should be spending some time in Kansai while I'm in Japan as well, so if people know any places in Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto then I'll check those out too!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

cadenza posted:

Hello thread. I'm going to be in Tokyo next week and am super excited about checking out this Yellow Submarine store! I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations for me while I'm there.
Hmm, I guess I can repost my "Someone told me these RPGs are interesting but I don't have personal experience so take it with a grain of salt" list a couple of pages back.

"Endbreakers, Alshard, Sword World, Barna Kronika, Monster Maker Legend, Beast Bind, Night Wizard

Meikyuu Kingdom supplements since it's still up in the air as to whether those will get translated."

And in recent TRPG news, Kantai Collection TRPG was released (created by the same author as Meikyuu Kingdom so pedigree there) and Log Horizon has its TRPG adaptation released... just today actually.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Davzz posted:

Hmm, I guess I can repost my "Someone told me these RPGs are interesting but I don't have personal experience so take it with a grain of salt" list a couple of pages back.

"Endbreakers, Alshard, Sword World, Barna Kronika, Monster Maker Legend, Beast Bind, Night Wizard

Meikyuu Kingdom supplements since it's still up in the air as to whether those will get translated."

And in recent TRPG news, Kantai Collection TRPG was released (created by the same author as Meikyuu Kingdom so pedigree there) and Log Horizon has its TRPG adaptation released... just today actually.

Maybe he was asking for other RPG stores to visit :shobon: (I'm no help in this regard)

Thanks for the tip about the Kantai Collection TRPG, I'll look into picking up a copy when I head to Tokyo in a couple of weeks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey everyone who likes Double Cross, this got posted by Ver. Blue on G+ today:

quote:

Hello. It has been a while since my last post, but I do have good news today. After an extensive negotiation period, we have the green light to release PDFs of Double Cross.

Details concerning distribution sites and pricing are still being worked on, but the PDFs will be available soon. We will make an announcement via our social media pages when we begin digital sales.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101235997413051519555/posts/Pzz3uUUXxqG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Davzz posted:

How would a Kancolle RPG work, anyway? It seems like something that would work better as a strategy RPG or Warhammer 40k-style game than a straight up RPG.

• Locked thread