Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
loving FINALLY got my first internship interview after like several dozen applications being sent out. gently caress (I feel like I'm going to throw up.)

quote:

This email serves as confirmation that you are scheduled to interview for the End User Computing Programmer Internship position on Tuesday, April 22nd at 1:30 PM.

:feelsgood: :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I've only had one interview for an internship too, and I didn't get it :ohdear: Good luck with yours! I might ask for goon help one of these days. Is it really hard to get an internship in general?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Cicero posted:

I'm not sure maternity leave is something that can be negotiated. Google sure gives a lot of it though (IIRC the doc I read said 22-24 weeks).

Most places would probably not be willing to negotiate "maternity leave", but you can negotiate for "I'm having a baby in 4 months and want a bunch of time off." One of my previous jobs, I said, "I can start in 2 weeks, but I have a week-long family event planned in 6 weeks." They were totally fine with that, of course.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Tots posted:

End User Computing Programmer

SharePoint and/or Excel automation. I'm so, so, sorry.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Place that interviewed a few weeks back is taking me to lunch today.

Seems this is one of those "Don't talk yourself out of a job, you twit" situations. Besides being quiet, what should one watch out for? Acting like you already work there?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Place that interviewed a few weeks back is taking me to lunch today.

Seems this is one of those "Don't talk yourself out of a job, you twit" situations. Besides being quiet, what should one watch out for? Acting like you already work there?

Do what you'd do when trying to pick up girls, unless you're a creepy PUA. Be friendly and engaged, ask them questions (and at least pretend to be interested in the answer), and don't dominate the conversation by talking about yourself. Basically, be a normal human being.

My rule of professionalism is: If I don't know the people extremely well, be one level of appropriateness above them. For example, if they use light profanity in conversation, I use none whatsoever. If they curse like sailors, I will let some light profanity slip. Some people are good at judging what the appropriate/inappropriate line is, but I'm not one of those people, so I play it safe.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 21, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ithaqua posted:

Do what you'd do when trying to pick up girls,

Basically, be a normal human being.

lmao

Alternatively, try acting like a normal human being all the time, jfc

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

coffeetable posted:

lmao

Alternatively, try acting like a normal human being all the goddamn time, jfc

That was what I was trying to say. I haven't had my coffee yet.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
And with that I'm off to hopefully move on up :yotj:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've been asked to provide a resume that more specifically details projects that I have written in a specific language. I do have a fair number of complex projects done in this language, so coming up with content isn't a problem, but I'm not entirely sure how to structure it.

I can provide a description of the problems that needed to be solved, then a description of what I did, etc, etc, but I'm not sure that's actually the best way to go here. I can also only provide source code for some of these, since some of them were done with a "you must give us the code and not keep a copy" clause in the contract.

Any thoughts/ideas about where to go with this?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

~

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 11, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Never underestimate the benefits of an easy commute. More than an hour, especially driving, really starts to cut into your energy for after-work stuff. Part-time remote work is becoming more commonplace in the industry, so it can't hurt to ask what their policies are on that.

I can't speak to the C/Python/*nix world; I work almost entirely within the Microsoft bubble. The Microsoft world is usually very pleasant to work in. The languages and dev tools are great, and (at least on the east coast) there are tons of jobs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've been asked to provide a resume that more specifically details projects that I have written in a specific language. I do have a fair number of complex projects done in this language, so coming up with content isn't a problem, but I'm not entirely sure how to structure it.

I can provide a description of the problems that needed to be solved, then a description of what I did, etc, etc, but I'm not sure that's actually the best way to go here. I can also only provide source code for some of these, since some of them were done with a "you must give us the code and not keep a copy" clause in the contract.

Any thoughts/ideas about where to go with this?

I've always been told to do that stuff as responsibilities, contributions and achievements even though all three seem to overlap a bit. An important thing is to use 'doing' phrases, like ' I performed','I completed', etc.

So a very short section might go 'A partner company asked us to improve their forums posting bot. I performed an analysis of the business requirements and identified issues with the implementation of the Whitenoise Post Generator and the Probation Evasion Module as well as architectural inefficiencies. I resolved these issues by designing and implementing a new Sulk Simulator to replace much of the previous framework. As a result of this work shitposts produced per hour doubled and time spent in the Leper's Colony fell to <1%.'

Idk if that's what you're looking for, has got me to interviews I probably shouldn't have though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So when they (Amazon, specifically) say appropriate interview attire is business casual, that means dark slacks, good shirt, definitely no tie, and a jacket made of a different material than the pants only if it's not warm, right?

Seems an obvious question but there's no harm in asking.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

Bongo Bill posted:

So when they (Amazon, specifically) say appropriate interview attire is business casual, that means dark slacks, good shirt, definitely no tie, and a jacket made of a different material than the pants only if it's not warm, right?

I wore a casual button down and nice jeans back in January. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Milotic posted:

SharePoint and/or Excel automation. I'm so, so, sorry.

I'll do any loving thing to not have to be a line cook anymore, I don't even care. And this isn't permanent, I'll be working on getting some open source contributions under my belt while I'm doing it so I can hopefully get a job doing something worth while after I graduate.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I just got physical mail from a recruiter. I'm not even in a real major market. Whaddafuck.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
So, an 'assessment' that turned into hell care of VS not installing properly multiple times and then service references just not working multiple times had two lovely cherries on top:

The deadline I was not made aware of until it was already late came in and I was only 99% finished, aaaaaaaand the directions to email it in zipped up made the email bounce saying I was extensively infested or something.

I'm a bit miffed about that, but on the other hand, I just had a final round of interviewing which came down to "chilling out with the crew" which went very, very well.

What I'm asking is how common is it that poo poo conspires to botch up your best efforts at an assessment and make you look like an rear end? Meh.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

2banks1swap.avi posted:

So, an 'assessment' that turned into hell care of VS not installing properly multiple times and then service references just not working multiple times had two lovely cherries on top:

why were you installing VS in an interview :psyduck:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What's "hell care"? And is this an assessment at your current company, or for an interview?

If you got email attachment scanning problems, just changing the extension (and including a note for them to change it back) usually solves it. Alternatively you could, like, obfuscate it by having a zip inside a 7z inside a rar or something.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

coffeetable posted:

why were you installing VS in an interview :psyduck:

It was a take home kind of assessment.

Nevertheless, I did get to enjoy "can't get it online or locally should I try online again or here point me to a path deep in this tree of temp files :haw:" errors all day Saturday.

My sunday was losing my poo poo over service references until Ithaca decided to take pity on me and grace me with a skype which made it magically work.

:q: I love being a developer.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

It was a take home kind of assessment.

Nevertheless, I did get to enjoy "can't get it online or locally should I try online again or here point me to a path deep in this tree of temp files :haw:" errors all day Saturday.

My sunday was losing my poo poo over service references until Ithaca decided to take pity on me and grace me with a skype which made it magically work.

vagrant

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Holy crap why have I not heard of this yet, thank you!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Windows vagrant boxes are a bit more of a pain than Linux ones cause you have to put the box together yourself, but it's completely worth it to avoid devenv debugging.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Don't forget baseboxes, it lets you use packer to build fresh new boxes with whatever you want preinstalled on them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If you have to use windows, you can use Powershell's Desired State Configuration to set a lot of stuff up identically on multiple machines/VMs too.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you have to use windows, you can use Powershell's Desired State Configuration to set a lot of stuff up identically on multiple machines/VMs too.

Yeah, DSC is Microsoft's answer to Vagrant. DSC is very likely going to be a big part of Microsoft's release management/devops offerings.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

Yeah, DSC is Microsoft's answer to Vagrant. DSC is very likely going to be a big part of Microsoft's release management/devops offerings.

I disagree slightly. DSC is Microsoft's answer to Chef/Puppet/Salt as far as I'm aware. Vagrant is for setting up and tearing down VMs really fast. I mean, maybe you can make a Hyper-V VM with DSC but it doesn't really let you have that ease of "Vagrant Up" and it just poops a box out. If it IS the answer to Vagrant, can you point me to the doc on that, because that'd own.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Urit posted:

I disagree slightly. DSC is Microsoft's answer to Chef/Puppet/Salt as far as I'm aware. Vagrant is for setting up and tearing down VMs really fast. I mean, maybe you can make a Hyper-V VM with DSC but it doesn't really let you have that ease of "Vagrant Up" and it just poops a box out. If it IS the answer to Vagrant, can you point me to the doc on that, because that'd own.

I was wrong, Microsoft already has VM provisioning capabilities in the form of SCVMM and Lab Management. DSC just isn't an integral part of any of their tools yet, but I have a feeling it's going to change.

Note: I'm not claiming that System Center is good. I actually dislike it quite a bit.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
What is really interesting (and this is getting off-topic, I know) is that after having worked with Ruby/Chef/Linux based stuff after coming from a Powershell/System Center/Windows background, I'm starting to really feel like the Windows stuff is clunky and slow. Far from me to be growing a unixbeard over this, but I would argue that the *nix based tools for automation and virtualization are orders of magnitude more mature than anything in Windows land, and it really shows sometimes - for example, Vagrant. There is nothing like that for Windows that I'm aware of - a single-user templated VM provisioning tool that can easily be integrated with other stuff (see: test-kitchen for Chef for integration testing in literal seconds). Some of the virtualization stuff such as Docker.io with chroot implementations isn't even possible on Windows, and was mindblowing to me when I discovered it.

FIHGT W HUBBY
Aug 16, 2009
So I received an offer from a big corp in the bay area for $80k. Since apparently negotiating has no down side, I'm going to try and do it. But I don't think I have any leverage really. I'm an unexceptional new grad and the next best competing offer I have is for $60k in Seattle (with no relocation! hosed up but true). How much is it OK to negotiate up? I was thinking of asking for $85k and $5k relo (up from $3k). And how should I word it, since I don't have leverage? Also, who do I negotiate with. There's no recruiter, just the team manager (who has been my main contact, and read me the verbal offer over the phone) and this man in India who is my HR guy but he just kind of sends me copy+pasted form emails, and I he think drafted my offer letter.

The Seattle company is giving me "a day or two" to decide on their offer. Is that normal? I thought offers were considered "exploding offers" even when you're given like a week to decide. I feel like they're being shady by rushing me. A manufactured sense of urgency like this is normally a sign of a scam, so it's really making me not want to work for them.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

Bongo Bill posted:

I wore some nice pants, an oxford and a sweater, that's just my style though. Half of my interviewers were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Got the job no problem, your dress code isn't going to make you or break you if you can handle the whiteboard.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

FIHGT W HUBBY posted:

So I received an offer from a big corp in the bay area for $80k. Since apparently negotiating has no down side, I'm going to try and do it. But I don't think I have any leverage really. I'm an unexceptional new grad and the next best competing offer I have is for $60k in Seattle (with no relocation! hosed up but true). How much is it OK to negotiate up? I was thinking of asking for $85k and $5k relo (up from $3k). And how should I word it, since I don't have leverage? Also, who do I negotiate with. There's no recruiter, just the team manager (who has been my main contact, and read me the verbal offer over the phone) and this man in India who is my HR guy but he just kind of sends me copy+pasted form emails, and I he think drafted my offer letter.

That number isn't quite where I'd like to be, somewhere closer to 90-95k would make this decision much easier.

No? Would you consider meeting me somewhere in the middle?

No? How about a signing bonus?

No.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

FIHGT W HUBBY posted:

The Seattle company is giving me "a day or two" to decide on their offer. Is that normal? I thought offers were considered "exploding offers" even when you're given like a week to decide. I feel like they're being shady by rushing me. A manufactured sense of urgency like this is normally a sign of a scam, so it's really making me not want to work for them.

Both of those salaries seem rather low for their respective areas (depending on how close to SF you're talking about). I would do some research and try to figure out how far the money will go in each place and what the implications are for living location and such. For example, how far away from work are you going to have to live in either place to find something affordable (and/or how many roommates), think about gas costs, etc.

Regardless, I would simply counter-offer with 15% more or so and hope that you can negotiate down to 7-10% more. You can cite some crap about median salaries or whatever if you want but I'd probably just go with how biochemist is phrasing it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
As I posted a few days ago, I had an interview last week that I'm cautiously optimistic about. One of the questions that I was asked was what my salary expectations would be. It's a C++/.NET place and I have experience programming, but no relevant employment experience. So I said that I'd expect to be paid what they would generally pay a new graduate joining them, with the assumption that it'd be reviewed after 6-12 months.

Supposing they do offer me a position, what kind of figure should I be expecting them to offer me? I'm just looking for a very approximate figure so I know what to expect. This is in the north of England, specifically, near Sheffield. Cost of living here is low, so I wouldn't be getting the sort of salary someone starting work in London would get.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

Supposing they do offer me a position, what kind of figure should I be expecting them to offer me? I'm just looking for a very approximate figure so I know what to expect. This is in the north of England, specifically, near Sheffield. Cost of living here is low, so I wouldn't be getting the sort of salary someone starting work in London would get.
In London as a fresh graduate going into a dev role I would not accept less than £30k. £35k is possible but could be harder to find. Not exactly answering your question but maybe it's a guideline if you can figure out what the typical London -> Sheffield salary ratio is.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Hammerite posted:

As I posted a few days ago, I had an interview last week that I'm cautiously optimistic about. One of the questions that I was asked was what my salary expectations would be. It's a C++/.NET place and I have experience programming, but no relevant employment experience. So I said that I'd expect to be paid what they would generally pay a new graduate joining them, with the assumption that it'd be reviewed after 6-12 months.

What's your email? While I was trying to work out what the hell to do with myself last summer I made a spreadsheet of possible gradschemes, and it has a pile of software positions & salaries.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

coffeetable posted:

What's your email? While I was trying to work out what the hell to do with myself last summer I made a spreadsheet of possible gradschemes, and it has a pile of software positions & salaries.

edit: Thanks!

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 22, 2014

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tunga posted:

In London as a fresh graduate going into a dev role I would not accept less than £30k. £35k is possible but could be harder to find. Not exactly answering your question but maybe it's a guideline if you can figure out what the typical London -> Sheffield salary ratio is.

This is much higher than the salaries I've been seeing, granted my undergrad will have been in a non CS science. Most seem to be a fair bit under 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, well I know a recent CS graduate who got £27k for a tech support role so I'd expect devs to earn more. Maybe he was lucky and/or exceptional, who knows. I have been looking for mid-range positions but have come across stuff at both end of the scale and haven't seen anything much below £30k.