Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I got a storm archmage over to the west. Died once but it was because I was eating and not paying attention, otherwise it's been very smooth. Unlocked both necro and corruptor. I think this character has a really good chance to get further than I have before.

What prodigy should I be looking for as an archmage? It seemed that most of the magic based ones didn't really make sense for them. I went with Dominant Will under the assumption that it will protect me against silence, but I have no idea what to do after that if I make it that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
Cauterize is great for not dying.

Spine of the World in combo with a Physical Wild Infusion is really good for not getting stunned, unless you're immune to that stuff already.

Both of the Draconic ... can be good; the active one is better if you're a Shalore and remember to use it before a fight. I am lazy and forgetful so it's not great for me personally, but in the hands of a better player it can be amazing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Cauterize is amazing. Meteoric Crash is a pretty massive spike on a pretty low cooldown.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is Aether Permeation any good?

Also, if you RNG the parts for it, I hear the Staff of Telos that you get from Secrets of Telos is absolutely nuts.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Magres posted:

Is Aether Permeation any good?
Not really, no. It can lower your resistances.

If you're using the Arcane Power variant in Nulltweaks, it's a bit better (gives you more Arcane resistance, lowers the Mana cost, same lackluster Spellpower boost but for 20 Mana that's fine). From the GIT codebase it looks like these changes were copied into the next version so when that drops both Arcane Power and Aether Permeation will benefit.

Magres posted:

Also, if you RNG the parts for it, I hear the Staff of Telos that you get from Secrets of Telos is absolutely nuts.
I've heard mostly the opposite, but I haven't actually tried it myself.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Dodge Charms posted:

I've heard mostly the opposite, but I haven't actually tried it myself.

The combined staff is mostly defensive. Got some pretty good stats, but the draw is 20% damage attunement to all. Especially good for classes like Necro where that translates into some giant HP chunk when you get hit by minion friendly fire or anyone who has lots of shields. (you still get healed through the shield)

Its appeal dropped a ton now that randart shortstaves are around and overpowered.

psy_wombats fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 12, 2014

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Magres posted:

Telos Spire of Power is a fantastic staff if you're using one of the elements it boosts (arcane, cold, acid, blight, light, darkness unless I'm mistaken, which is possible). If not, it's got really good side benefits but you're going to miss the huge damage boost from using an appropriate staff.

Benly fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 12, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The damage boosts on the Staff of Telos are nothing special but it makes you ridiculously tanky. Huge absorbs on several damage types and a transformation that converts half your damage into life drain.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Did it get nerfed? I remember it being absolutly nuts for corruptors for example, but that was a few months ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No. The damage mods look crazy the first time you see them but there's plenty of t5 staves that are better at offense.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

No. The damage mods look crazy the first time you see them but there's plenty of t5 staves that are better at offense.
Yeah from what I hear it's basically a great t5 staff, but not worth the cost of a whole Prodigy.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Damagewise it's good but not overwhelming. The reason I say it's a great staff if you have one of its damage types is just because if you have the right elements it's offensively good/defensively amazing while if you don't it's offensively nothing/defensively amazing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just started playing this game today. Played a couple different classes, but The Maze seems to be about the point where I keep dying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zerilan posted:

Just started playing this game today. Played a couple different classes, but The Maze seems to be about the point where I keep dying.

To the boss, or to random mooks?

If it's to the boss, make sure that if you get the alternate layout Maze (the one with holes down to the next level instead of stairs) you do the first three levels and then skip the fourth floor till later, especially if you're a spellcasting or ranged class.

If it's to random mooks, then don't do the Maze so early. Do all the starter areas first instead.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To the boss, or to random mooks?

If it's to the boss, make sure that if you get the alternate layout Maze (the one with holes down to the next level instead of stairs) you do the first three levels and then skip the fourth floor till later, especially if you're a spellcasting or ranged class.

If it's to random mooks, then don't do the Maze so early. Do all the starter areas first instead.

I've been going in the order generally in the goon zone guide, and usually it's the mooks that are the problem once a random purple border one shows up, usually minotaurs with their weird debuff effects.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I've been going in the order generally in the goon zone guide, and usually it's the mooks that are the problem once a random purple border one shows up, usually minotaurs with their weird debuff effects.

Don't open chests! At least not until you've assembled a good set of escape abilities that you can fall back on.

Minotaurs cause confusion, which is a mental effect, meaning your starter wild infusion won't clear it. You could get an anti-mental wild infusion if you wanted, although mental effects are comparatively rare so it might be a bit over-specialized elsewhere.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't open chests! At least not until you've assembled a good set of escape abilities that you can fall back on.

Minotaurs cause confusion, which is a mental effect, meaning your starter wild infusion won't clear it. You could get an anti-mental wild infusion if you wanted, although mental effects are comparatively rare so it might be a bit over-specialized elsewhere.

It's early enough that you could grab the first mental infusion you found, use it for the maze, and overwrite it with a better infusion afterwards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Open every chest. Learn through failure. Beat the game atop a mountain of your own corpses.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Hell yeah. I open every chest I find, especially in the sandworm lair. I don't know what it is about that place but I usually get at least one randart out of it, and I've gotten more than one tier 5 item on several runs. Voratun battleaxe on a level 12 berserker? If you insist, game! :getin:

The thing about chests and vaults is that they aren't going anywhere. Clear the immediate area or the whole floor first depending on how secure you feel. Have some oh poo poo abilities ready to go and make sure you're fully rested. If you're really apprehensive about it and it's a dungeon you can re-enter you can use your recall staff and tick the timer down to 10 turns before you crack it open. If things are ok, just cancel the port.

E: Disclaimer; I am bad at this game.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 12, 2014

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
To unlock Corruptor, is it points in 10 different spell talents, or just 10 points put into spell talents?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Zerilan posted:

To unlock Corruptor, is it points in 10 different spell talents, or just 10 points put into spell talents?

10 spell talents total.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I've lost several hours of play on two separate characters now. I save and exit and when I load the game it's a save from forever ago. Is there something I can do about that? I'm playing online, so is that related? I want to keep playing my in character necro run for the LP thread but I'm afraid his save will explode. :smith:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've lost several hours of play on two separate characters now. I save and exit and when I load the game it's a save from forever ago. Is there something I can do about that? I'm playing online, so is that related? I want to keep playing my in character necro run for the LP thread but I'm afraid his save will explode. :smith:

Are you playing on multiple computers? I think there is some sort of steam cloud sync issue that can do this to people.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dairy Power posted:

Are you playing on multiple computers? I think there is some sort of steam cloud sync issue that can do this to people.

Nah, but that might still be it. The game sometimes does Steam synching when I run it.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
Got my first winner today. I died a few times, all of which probably could have been avoided if I was paying more attention. I wasn't really threatened at all for most of the east until the High Peak/slime pit. On the High Peak I got a bit lucky at one point but otherwise beat them pretty easily. I didn't even realize until I got an achievement for not doing it that you can close the portals that the enemies come out of. Still not sure how you actually do it.

I then immediately died to the golem thing in one hit. Obviously I should not have messed with him! Didn't even get to use my new staff. Doh.

Gzuz-Kriced fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 14, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Got my first winner today. I died a few times, all of which probably could have been avoided if I was paying more attention. I wasn't really threatened at all for most of the east until the High Peak/slime pit. On the High Peak I got a bit lucky at one point but otherwise beat them pretty easily. I didn't even realize until I got an achievement for not doing it that you can close the portals that the enemies come out of. Still not sure how you actually do it.
Walk onto each portal and use the appropriate orb. I've still never closed one. :v:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
2nd win ever, with a staff reaver. All I can say is holy poo poo. By the time you have a pair of t3 short staves, it's crazy. By endgame I had 78% spell crit and bumped for about 1-3k and would do an easy 5k+ with corrupted strength and whatnot.

Now I can't wait to test with arcane blade/shadowblade some of the ridiculous stuff I picked up, such as a ring with GWF at level 4.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is there a way to regenerate shop inventories? I want to do a staff reaver but both the high elf and archmage city had no 1h staffs.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

DeathSandwich posted:

Is there a way to regenerate shop inventories? I want to do a staff reaver but both the high elf and archmage city had no 1h staffs.

Go back to the worldmap, find the save directory and delete the file named after the city you want to reset.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

Go back to the worldmap, find the save directory and delete the file named after the city you want to reset.

Are there any mods to do something like this? Maybe not every time you enter the level, that'd be a bit too scummy, but every time you level up would be a nice compromise between that and how it works by default.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any mods to do something like this? Maybe not every time you enter the level, that'd be a bit too scummy, but every time you level up would be a nice compromise between that and how it works by default.

If I understand correctly, the shops in the West get updated inventories at certain level breakpoints, but you have to have gone East first and gotten back. Do they keep the older stock as well?

E: Why does the Dwarf city not have any Dwarven steel for sale? My immersion! :qq:

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

If I understand correctly, the shops in the West get updated inventories at certain level breakpoints, but you have to have gone East first and gotten back. Do they keep the older stock as well?

I thought it was at three specific points in the plot, and there were no other resets.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought it was at three specific points in the plot, and there were no other resets.

They restock twice: After you kill The Master, and after you finish Charred Scar.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

E: Why does the Dwarf city not have any Dwarven steel for sale? My immersion! :qq:

Haha, if only Dwarven stuff wasn't relegated to Tier 3, or the humor of tier 3 being what's in the town closest to when you get out of the dwarven city.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe the Dwarves just hate you. That would explain the two suicide racial missions.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
This might be the best game ever. Been bumping around clueless for a few weeks, unlocking stuff, and I'm now on first 'serious' character. Level 47 corruptor with two of the prides left, which seems like smooth sailing. Still relatively clueless though, and the wiki's somewhat lacking. Any advice? (all my deaths came pre-bone shield - thanks, wikigoonguide). I have 8 class, 1 category and 5 generic points left, dont know what to do with the crystal forcus/heart, and not quite sure about gear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

The game caches that poo poo now so you have to go to the world map and then exit to the main menu if you want it to stick.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

dis astranagant posted:

The game caches that poo poo now so you have to go to the world map and then exit to the main menu if you want it to stick.

Last time I did this after my game crashed and the city bugged out it still didn't work; I'm guessing saves are ALSO saved through Steam, which screws this up a bit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Been playing at work since turn-based roguelikes are the perfect stealth games. Is there any way to change the size of the gameplay window so that your hotbar doesn't cover up part of the map? It's making it a real pain in the rear end to do anything on the bottom two rows of my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Been playing at work since turn-based roguelikes are the perfect stealth games. Is there any way to change the size of the gameplay window so that your hotbar doesn't cover up part of the map? It's making it a real pain in the rear end to do anything on the bottom two rows of my screen.

Yeah, go into the the tileset options and bump the tiles down a size. So much nicer.

• Locked thread