Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

it's professor x not doctor x :spergin:

quote:

In graduate studies, he receives Ph.D.s in Genetics, Biophysics, Psychology, and Anthropology with a two-year residence at Pembroke College, Oxford University.[9] He also receives an M.D. in Psychiatry while spending several years in London.[10][11]

i think "doctor" would be acceptable for someone who got four ph.ds in two years and has an m.d. to boot

(i don't think you get m.d.s "in" something, you just get the degree and then specialize, but who am i to question stan lee)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what the gently caress are these words, like, seriously:

quote:

Obviously nothing like it exists on earth - though those of us who remember VMS might be deceived.

Whether we remember VMS or not, some of us are unhappy with the state of Earth software. Therefore it behooves us to consider an alternative. Since we have not yet established communications with the Martians (who retreated into tunnels as their planet froze), we cannot just FTP their code. We could, however, try to write it.
nerds ruin everything
americans ruin everything
poshos ruin everything

these idiots writing these stupid words

you just described yourself jellybrain shitlord

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
yo mr sa, i thought you might appreciate this http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.2862v1.pdf

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

goddammit, i bought a plain magnetometer chip when for just a few bucks more i could have gotten a chip that spits out compass heading directly. now i gotta do this vector poo poo

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Werthog 95 posted:

goddammit, i bought a plain magnetometer chip when for just a few bucks more i could have gotten a chip that spits out compass heading directly. now i gotta do this vector poo poo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dec 26, 2012

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

after doing the two lines of code it took to get a heading out of it, i discovered that it's imprecise as gently caress

so yeah, this

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

why would you quote me and not the original post

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Panty Saluter posted:

why would you quote me and not the original post

so that this question would be asked so i guess mission accomplished

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

think of it like a pointer to a pointer

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hubris.height posted:

so that this question would be asked so i guess mission accomplished

conglaturation i guess

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

conglaturation i guess

he was thinking of becoming a teamster but decided on yosposter instead

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
current cnc milling status

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

kwinkles posted:

NICE!

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
3d films look good while buzzed.

3d films make one vomit when hammered.

The more you know.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
remember that arcade game that was a half enclosed dome with some primary geometric figures in it that used tricky mirrors and poo poo to make the 3d look good ? it was a real basic street fighter type

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

remember that arcade game that was a half enclosed dome with some primary geometric figures in it that used tricky mirrors and poo poo to make the 3d look good ? it was a real basic street fighter type

it was definitely sega

i remember the white half height cab

fake edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holosseum

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

syscall girl posted:

it was definitely sega

ya that is it!

that poo poo at least worked

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
not work safe i guess?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

syscall girl posted:

it was definitely sega

never played that, but i played time traveler quite a bit. werent those the ony 2 hologram games?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

never played that, but i played time traveler quite a bit. werent those the ony 2 hologram games?

looks like it

the fighter was really popular the first time i saw it so i didn't get in line to presumably get schooled on some game i didn't know and then the lines kinda went away after the novelty wore off

gameplay was bad from what i've read

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kwinkles posted:

i really wanted to 3d print a dong but apparently thingiverse is a bunch of prudes and i'm not having a lot of luck finding a model of a dong anywhere else on the internet, surprisingly

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

enotnert posted:

3d films look good while buzzed.

3d films make one vomit when hammered.

The more you know.

did u forget to wear the glasses

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Progressive JPEG posted:

did u forget to wear the glasses

nah, had glasses on, they were working fine, but as buzzed went to smashed my brain stopped functioning properly, things got out of sync and fuzzy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

enotnert posted:

my brain stopped functioning properly

this is the whole point of 3d films. they trick your brain into seeing things that don't exist. maybe if your brain is stupid it goes "ehhhh, okay, whatever" but when you got a big brain like me it rejects the inconsistent data and gives you a bigass headache. confirmation that your brain is working right.

incidentally this is why 3d films will always be garbage until we get actual moving holograms

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

incidentally this is why 3d films will always be garbage until we get actual moving holograms

wrong, video signals pumped directly into each eye socket would come first

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

video signals into yr eyes wouldn't do it either unless the video machine has a way of reading the movements of your eyes and perfectly mimicking the natural changes in perspective and focus that would come with those motions. the nasty disconnect with stereoscopic 3d happens because the stereoscopic films only give you one of several cues you need, while all the others are saying 2d. video signals would do the same. holograms create the actual light pattern of the 3d object and let you look at it as if it were really there, so there's no mental dishonesty

like have you ever seen a really good transmissive hologram? the kind where you have to look at a glass window into a laser beam to see it? poo poo is phenomenal. it's like looking at the real objects just sitting there lit in speckly red light. if you're in new england the mit museum has a bunch of great ones.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fine, a loving electronic spike that pierces the skull in order to feed a massaged stream of data directly into and through the primary visual cortex

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
go on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

fine, a loving electronic spike that pierces the skull in order to feed a massaged stream of data directly into and through the primary visual cortex

do you even read? still not good enough unless it's a bidirectional i/o

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm actually completely illiterate.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

wrong, video signals pumped directly into each eye socket would come first

we already have this, good luck getting not shitass resolution though (hint you won't any time in the forseeable future) current bleeding-edge tech is like 100 pixels each eye

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im curious how the artificial retina projects overcome the bidirectional i/o problem. i'm guessing they just don't.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Bloody posted:

current bleeding-edge

well quit picking at it and let it heal

Dec 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

i'm actually completely illiterate.

a useful trait in yospos

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

3D sucks because your eyes want to focus on different depth planes while tilting on their horizontal axis. this can't be done on a screen that's a constant distance from the viewer.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sagebrush posted:

like have you ever seen a really good transmissive hologram? the kind where you have to look at a glass window into a laser beam to see it? poo poo is phenomenal. it's like looking at the real objects just sitting there lit in speckly red light. if you're in new england the mit museum has a bunch of great ones.

seen these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7BP00LuA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

computer toucher posted:

3D sucks because all 3d films are poo poo and they think gimmicky scenes throwing things out of the screen at you is a substitute for a plot