Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spoeank posted:

Pretty much this.

Although on defense I hope he at least uses his size to get rebounds. I hate tall guys that don't want to get rebounds while I'm banging with dudes 6 inches taller than me like some lovely Barkley imitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'm the jerk that purposely picks up the other team's point guard on d so I can turn around and dominate him in the post if I'm cold from outside. :getin:

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

In my experiences, best way to practice post moves is to do them quite a bit on your own and then when you're in a game you'll do one without even thinking. Thinking is what kills your post game. Watch Dwight in a game and you'll see that.

By post moves I don't mean anything advanced or even an iso move. Something you would pull out after catching a dump off pass. If you're under the basket then take a power hop/dribble to one side of the rim and practice going up strong. Don't release your shot until you are on your way down from your jump. Practice on your way down after you are winded from the Mikan drill.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

if you only shoot threes i hate playing basketball with you

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

BIZORT posted:

In my experiences, best way to practice post moves is to do them quite a bit on your own and then when you're in a game you'll do one without even thinking. Thinking is what kills your post game. Watch Dwight in a game and you'll see that.

This is it for me, and why the strong hand baseline spin is so tough for me to do. You have to be defended to practice it.

Working drop steps and baby hooks all around the basket is way funner to practice than 3 pointers though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

A thousand times this.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

mynameisjohn posted:

What if you only make the threes?

I have a terrible inside game, but I do drive and kick or drive and attempt to score so they don't just crowd me at the 3 line.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Regnevelc posted:

What if you only make the threes?

Slightly better but only excusable if we're really far behind and you don't miss.

Really all I ask is that people chase their shots and try to rebound. It's infuriating being 5'9 on a team of 6'+ dudes and being the only guy who scraps for rebounds. Take whatever shot you want but don't be a lazy dickhole after.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it's just way more fun when you play with people that shoot, but will set picks for you, play pick and pop, try and engage the defense a little, and drive to the lane and kick it out.

if you're "just a shooter" you're literally loving playing an entirely different game where you just sprint around and wait for someone to pass it to you so you can shoot, you're the bottom feeder of the basketball ecosystem and need to learn some skills or get the gently caress off the court. That game is the bane of my existence and it's even worse when they're actually good because then they will never take the time to learn any other valuable basketball skills.

There-in lies the difference between people that can shoot and "shooters".

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Doltos posted:

Slightly better but only excusable if we're really far behind and you don't miss.

Really all I ask is that people chase their shots and try to rebound. It's infuriating being 5'9 on a team of 6'+ dudes and being the only guy who scraps for rebounds. Take whatever shot you want but don't be a lazy dickhole after.

Well, I do chase my shots.

(not of liquor though, i'm not a pussy)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's always the tallest dude on the court that feels like he's a shooter (and is also scared to enter the paint). You're 6'3. You should be absolutely dominating the paint and the boards.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Am I forgiven for mostly being a shooter when I only have my right hand?

I try to set picks and cut and stuff but I have a hard time pulling down boards without my left hand.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Regnevelc posted:

(not of liquor though, i'm not a pussy)

Good man. I learned to conquer my whiskey face by 14.

RCarr posted:

It's always the tallest dude on the court that feels like he's a shooter (and is also scared to enter the paint). You're 6'3. You should be absolutely dominating the paint and the boards.

I had a friend that played with us that always wanted to be point guard. He was 6'2", the tallest out of all of us, and never wanted to be the big man on the team. It made sense because he played college ball and was always a point guard at every stage in his basketball career. It really sucked for me and everyone else but we never had to sit because we lost.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'm always one of the shortest guy on the court, because I am big and strong enough to not let the taller/bigger players bully their way to the basket that I play the post on D.

Needless to say they can shoot over me, but it's a 7-8 shot rather than 2 foot shot so it doesn't go in more than a quarter of the time.

E: it's nice being able to run them around on offense though so they are gassed about 4 possessions in.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I try to set picks and cut and stuff but I have a hard time pulling down boards without my left hand.
Lol yes

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Panzeh posted:

I hope you use your nub to stab away balls on defense

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doltos posted:

I hope you use your nub to stab away balls on defense

I've gotten steals with my left before but since my right arm is a bit longer it's usually my right that gets in the passing lane or whatever.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

RCarr posted:

Either that or the tallest dude is always trying to play point and gets stripped / turns it over.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

Either that or the tallest dude is always trying to play point and gets stripped / turns it over.

Its awesome when a tall dude is bearing down on you for a fast break layup and you're the only dude in the lane. Tall dudes suck so much at ball security and expect you to flee from their flying girth. You can stand your ground and poke the ball away as soon as they get nervous about crashing into you every single time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'm a tall dude (6'3) and have good handle and play point all the time and let me just tell you: it loving owns.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
6'3" is not tall enough to dominate one of those 5'11" really low center of gravity pickup ballers anyway.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

Where can I play where the tallest dude is 6'3? Last week there was a guy I hadn't seen before at the courts who was easily 6'8 and 250 and imposed his will on anyone in the key.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

THE RED MENACE posted:

Where can I play where the tallest dude is 6'3? Last week there was a guy I hadn't seen before at the courts who was easily 6'8 and 250 and imposed his will on anyone in the key.

I play behind the high school so we only have locals, HS kids, and the occasional street baller from Paterson/Clifton that can't stand his courts anymore. Most guys cap out at 6'3, and if they're taller, they're usually awkward goobers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dude last night managed to bust open both my upper and lower lip en route to giving me a hard poke in the eye, for gently caress's sake man :v:

If he hadn't scraped the side of my nose just below the eye before actually hitting the eye, I might not have closed it in time and who knows where I'd be today. As it is, a bunch of burst blood vessels = one very red eye

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I threw some wicked step backs, a few up and unders, and even a euro step in today's pickup. That's the first time i've felt that good since I tore my hamstring 11 months ago. Feels good to be back with you all again. It's been a long road.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Had the sickest pass last night. Drove the lane, guy knocked the ball out of my hands, I dove for it and saved it, threw it backwards as I was falling right into the hands of a dude who was jumping up in the air for some reason for an easy layup. Didn't even know he was there but everyone thought I did it on purpose.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Played like complete poo poo today missing big left and right. I really need to mentally get myself to get to the basket more in a 5x5. Anyone struggled with that as well and beat it?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If my game isn't working I usually just start running my man through screens non-stop to tire him out, and then I can usually get open on V-cuts and back door cuts for easy baskets.

I play primarily in the post if that matters.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
If only I had someone to set screens for me... I'll probably start calling my own screens.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone who plays a full pickup game without setting a pick should be banned for life.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm in a back brace for the next 30+ days and doing anything but like stationary shooting is basically impossible and even that feels really loving weird when you can't bend anything between your waist and your neck. This is really looking like a lost year as far as pickup goes for me

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I hit the court for the first time since I had my knee repaired. It was ugly. My handles are all busted, I've got no burst, and I get winded really easily. On the plus side my jumper still goes out to 17 feet so no rust there. Any advice for building my cardio back up?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The cardio builds back to your original state fairly quickly. The first time I played a pickup game after my surgery I had no lift at all and missed a lot of layups as a result. Within 3 or so games I was back to about where I was before. The cardio was back after a couple of games, too. Just make sure you drink a lot of water

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
First game of my league is tomorrow. I have to say, I am pretty excited. Pressed up some Jerseys today.

#21 and #3 not pictured. Pretty happy with how they turned out. Not bad for $10/uniform.

I also went to the local park with a couple teammates and ran some fundamentals. My weak hand dribble still needs lots of work, but my triple threat decision making is starting to come back. Hopefully half way through the season I will be going uncle drew on opponents.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Couple more questions for you pick up dudes.

When performing hesitations, crossovers, you name it, are you allowed to do a small hop with both feet off the ground? It seems like everyone uses this but I always that thought was considered a travel if you try to continue dribbling with it.

Second, my offense is pretty poor (mostly mental, since I worry wayyyyy more than I should about traveling and think too much instead of doing it), I have to rely on D to make up for it.

1. How do you keep a person out of lane when they are driving? What should your hands be doing during their drive, layup, where center of gravity should be, leg stance etc. I'm pretty average in height (5'9), so it's not like I can really use my height to compensate.

2. And I asked this before, but how do you D against post-up other than denying the entry pass? On the other side, anyone have any advice and exercises for learning how to post up and the techniques involved?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Couple more questions for you pick up dudes.

When performing hesitations, crossovers, you name it, are you allowed to do a small hop with both feet off the ground? It seems like everyone uses this but I always that thought was considered a travel if you try to continue dribbling with it.

Second, my offense is pretty poor (mostly mental, since I worry wayyyyy more than I should about traveling and think too much instead of doing it), I have to rely on D to make up for it.

1. How do you keep a person out of lane when they are driving? What should your hands be doing during their drive, layup, where center of gravity should be, leg stance etc. I'm pretty average in height (5'9), so it's not like I can really use my height to compensate.

2. And I asked this before, but how do you D against post-up other than denying the entry pass? On the other side, anyone have any advice and exercises for learning how to post up and the techniques involved?

No one pays attention to traveling in pickup games but you just described a travel.

Don't worry about your offense and how good you are. Have fun. I have been the best and worst player in a pickup game and I know it weighs on your mind when you perceive yourself as the worst. The truth is hardly anyone cares. They notice but they don't care. And it's really cool when that guy does score. Just be self aware and don't shoot every time you touch the ball. That's really about it.

People have their own things they like to do on D. Depends on what you're comfortable with. I like to keep my hands wide to make myself wide. I am a fairly slow guy laterally so anything I can do to keep a guy from driving around me will help. If i find that my guy is a shooter then I'll keep one arm a bit higher up. I try to keep my knees bent at all times but not too low. And try to stay light on your feet. Don't sink into a spot. I'm sure there is a more technical term for that which I'm not aware.

Height can be somewhat neutralized by having a good low center of gravity. In post D you have to move your feet, which I don't think gets mentioned enough. Guys think it's all about keeping the guy out of the paint, and to an extent, yes that is part of it. Beat your guy to his spot. Move when he shoots his dumb hook shot. Dont just use your arms. Guys usually have maybe two moves they know how to do. You will almost always get burned once. Tuck it away and remember it. It worked really well because he probably only as that one move.
When a guy puts a shot up, get your arm up. Make him shoot around you. Defense in pickup is almost all mental but most guys just zone out unless the ball is in their hands. Denying an entry pass probably shouldn't be used very often if you're 5'9. You're begging to get burned. I would kill you all day with that.

I mentioned low post moves a page or so back, if that. To add to what I said on it, learn to use your body. If a guy is next to you and you're right at the rim, jump into him a bit, gather yourself a bit in the air, and now you have separation to get that layup in. Practice that by shooting close shots as you are well on your way down from a jump, as I said before. And always use your rear end to move people off of you. It's the old pro move and always works.

Hope all of that makes sense

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Played Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Talk about night and day.

Saturday I was ON FIRE. I could not miss. Played with a point guard who always had his head up, and would hit me the second I got open every time. I think the first game I was 8 for 9 with about 5 of those being open layups resulting from pick and rolls or back door cuts. Ended up running the court with my team, went 5-0 on the day. I probably shot 80% on the day, felt awesome.

Sunday I played again, this time with a rag tag crew who didn't really know basketball fundamentals. None of them set screens/cut/did anything useful. I could get great position on my man in the paint on every single possession, but no one on my team knew how to throw an entry pass. I ended up having to try to Kobe my team to the win every game, which didn't work out well, because I'm not a shooter/ball handler. I forced a lot of shots, and missed a lot of shots. A sad basketball day.

The best news is my ankle that I destroyed last year is holding up really well. I still tape the gently caress out of it, and wear a brace, just to be safe, but I may be able to stop doing that every game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

whoever picked 35 to pay homage to Kevin Durant is a wanker

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I'm the king at 5'9 defense.

The trick to remember first is that even the best street ballers loving blow at shooting. Just being in front of them will induce a miss more often than not. Getting to their spot before they do will also screw up their attempts to bang down low, and will often result in a lovely close range flailing shot. Keep your feet active and make sure your hands are up. 5'9 height with a hand fully up in the air gives you another foot and a half which is invaluable considering most guys jump like an inch on their jump shots.

If someone is driving on you on a fast break, hold your ground and try to poke the ball away while they initiate contact. Most guys are hesitant to plow right through you since that means they'll hurt themselves too. Occasionally you'll get the rumblers that lower a shoulder and try to knock you out of your spot, but all you have to do there is keep light feet, bounce back with the hit, and keep your hands up.

I hate that I'm 5'9. I feel like I'm a post player trapped in a short dude's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

I hate that I'm 5'9. I feel like I'm a post player trapped in a short dude's body.

Dude. I'm 5'9 and my game is entirely post play. Post play, rebounds, and defense. All day every day.

It makes me so mad to see 6'+ dudes who are scared to go in the paint. If I was their size I would be dunking on every one and swatting shots into different area codes.

• Locked thread