Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Crosspost from the Warmachine Thread, my light cavalry (mages with pistols riding horses, oh my) is done:

I painted the grey horse about half a year ago, before I knew anything about wet blending, and it shows - might work on some of the shadowing there some time in the future. The dark horse in the back is not all black, it's a dark brown with shading, the photo just doesn't pick up on it for some reason. Very happy with how the unit turned out, and the different horses bring a lot of personality to my otherwise uniform looking Cygnar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Titan comics certainly had the Princeps of a Warlord titan sitting in a command chair and being able to unplug, though being in charge of a Titan was addictive and it is implied that some Princeps had gone insane or died due to prolonged withdrawal. However that was part of Warhammer Monthly so may not be canon.

Knights are certainly simpler constructs with weaker machine spirits comparatively, so may not even need implants, just an MIU helmet or similar. I'm not up on the current fluff though.

In any case, rule of cool. The cockpit looks good and that's what's important. Maybe the radome got shot off and the pilot had to go manual, it's a character flaw.

Back onto painting chat, that Horus simply owns, great work Gaylord!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is warhams, you can explain basically any canon inconsistency with the fact that the Imperium is loving huge and insanely variable in its tech. Both Titans that you have to be wired into for life and titans that you can walk out of for a cup of coffee can coexist.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Knight codex has a short story where a pilot basically just sits in his command chair in a medieval style meeting room, has a plug connect to his brain, and then does an anime style chair-drop through the depths of the building straight into the cockpit of his suit.

God dammit, why isn't there an animated .gif of Roger Wilco spinning around in the captain's chair? Maybe synching with a Titan is like this:

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Yeah, titanicus had all the types of princeps from walking around with coffee to the guy stuck in a sealed casket being wheeled around. [Some sort of meeting with too much political bullshit about who's the leader of the pack that I glazed over after the technical descriptions were done.] So far all the junk about wraithknights says its twins, one living, the other dead and in a soul stone. How that's common enough a thing to have wraithknight legions scouring crone worlds for soul stones I don't know, but whatever. Or maybe it is supposed to be like anime where even though the guy knows nothing about piloting a wraithknight he just gets tossed in there because ~he's the only one that can do it~. Ugh, now I'm picturing whiny eldar teens in priceless war engines.

From the descriptions Hemlock fighters I think just have a spiritseer pilot that can get out easily enough, aside from being mentally connected to a PTSD generator while flying around.

Anyways sorry for words, I'll have actual pictures of stuff tomorrow;done my scratch built tank, touched up the paint on my giant walker, finished terminators I got in the mail, and made landmine tokens. Figures by the time I think to oath something I've already gotten halfway through it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

God dammit, why isn't there an animated .gif of Roger Wilco spinning around in the captain's chair? Maybe synching with a Titan is like this:

Someone needs to paint up an Inquisitor like Roger, he's the perfect counterpoint to grimdark.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

VolatileSky posted:

Yeah, titanicus had all the types of princeps from walking around with coffee to the guy stuck in a sealed casket being wheeled around. [Some sort of meeting with too much political bullshit about who's the leader of the pack that I glazed over after the technical descriptions were done.] So far all the junk about wraithknights says its twins, one living, the other dead and in a soul stone. How that's common enough a thing to have wraithknight legions scouring crone worlds for soul stones I don't know, but whatever. Or maybe it is supposed to be like anime where even though the guy knows nothing about piloting a wraithknight he just gets tossed in there because ~he's the only one that can do it~. Ugh, now I'm picturing whiny eldar teens in priceless war engines.

From the descriptions Hemlock fighters I think just have a spiritseer pilot that can get out easily enough, aside from being mentally connected to a PTSD generator while flying around.

Anyways sorry for words, I'll have actual pictures of stuff tomorrow;done my scratch built tank, touched up the paint on my giant walker, finished terminators I got in the mail, and made landmine tokens. Figures by the time I think to oath something I've already gotten halfway through it.

poo poo. Eldar war machines are Evangelion.

Glad I decided to build Grey Knights this time around.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Does Horus come off the scenic base like the other primarchs if you ever wanted to have a royal rumble game with some of the best painted primarchs in one Free For All to claim the title belt imperium?

They're all still removable so I can, one day, have all 18(19?) royal rumble winner takes on Emperor match.

I'm pretty sure Perturabo would win.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

serious gaylord posted:

They're all still removable so I can, one day, have all 18(19?) royal rumble winner takes on Emperor match.

I'm pretty sure Perturabo would win.

If Fulgrim gets three models, can he do the Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love thing?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Love the Titan talk, need more of that in the 40k thread honestly.

If I could just stop playing Diablo these would be done! Hoping to finish them tonight.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath thread:

My first ever finished models. Stoked as heck, they look pretty great. :3:

Here's what I did to them, in case anyone else wants to paint dudes that are kinda but not really colored like real Earth Marines:
  • Primed with Army Painter's Matt White Undercoat
  • Webbing and boots in AP's Desert Yellow
  • Guns in P3 Thamar Black
  • Skin in P3 Midlund Flesh
  • Uniform basecoated in AP's Skeleton Bone
  • Camo pattern is jagged stripe-blobs of 1:3 mix of Skeleton Bone and Vallejo's Jade Green followed by jagged stripes of Thamar Black
  • Washed everything with soy sauce AP's Strong Tone Ink
  • Drybrushed the guns lightly with Vallejo's Stormy Blue

The webbing and boots look pretty much spot on, but the uniforms ended up too bright. A few more washes of Strong Tone (or maybe Dark Tone, AP's black wash) might solve it, but I'm scared of ruining everything. :shobon: As far as I'm concerned, these guys are ready for gaming.

By the way, is it just me, or does Thamar Black dry really fast? It kept drying up on me constantly while I was doing the camo pattern, unlike any other paint I used.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For first models, those are loving great, nice work - but paint your base rims!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks! I actually fixed the bases (and the bit of flock stuck to the rightmost guy's gun) right after taking these pics, but I flubbed the photos and these ended up being the best I had.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Started up my 3rd Riptide last week and finished painting the bottom half last night as well as pinning it to the base. This one is going to be my dedicated Skyfire one and I am considering modeling it to have two HBC's on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Little bit rude.

Love the base though.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
X-Posting from the infinity thread:

Finished the Mirage-5 team.
Also featured a not finished terrain piece.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Crossposting my oath along with paints list:

Mix of GW Ceramite White and P3 Morrow White for the clothing. I don't mean I mixed them together, I mean I switched between them according to whim, and seeing which one I liked better.
Mix of GW Mephiston Red and Reaper HD Brilliant Red for the skin (ditto).
Reaper Blush Pink layered on the raised areas of the skin.
VMA Silver for most of the metal parts.
VMC Brass for a few metal parts I wanted a contrasting color, like the stubber's ammo cartridges.
Reaper Chestnut Gold for the brown leather parts.
Reaper Imperial Purple for the fur of the champion's loincloth.
Washed the entire thing in Army Painter Strong Tone ink, then selectively re-highlighted some areas of clothing with white.

For the bases I alternated between Vallejo Grey Pumice and Vallejo Black Lava, again rather arbitrary.
Painted Reaper Rainy Grey, washed Army Painter Dark Tone, drybrushed Reaper Weathered Stone.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Mines!

Vypers, added some details like stripes and picked out all the jewels since they looked way too plain for my liking from my last "done" photos of them.

Plus my eldar landing pad! If it'll ever see actual use I have my doubts, but it looks nice for display anyways.

Highlighted my Hell Prawn with some more red, I think I'd burnt out on my last attempt since some panels had highlighting, others were still just the base red.

And finally, my scratch built tank is finished! Except the engine, the cables keep popping off so I need to figure out some way of securing crap down bettter before doing a final few colours of metal on it. But my side sponsons can turn just like the real thing! Turns out I had some extra lasguns from sentinels I never used.

edit: The mechanism on the gun is volume control from an old radio, best greebly looking thing with minimal effort ever!

While there's some issues I love how the crystal main gun turned out. The problem is since I did a much better job on it than on the walker, the walkers crystal cannon now looks a bit spindly in comparison.

So now it's onto my kanz, serpents and 30+ wraithguard! Only waiting on spraypaints to come in and magnets/kneadatite from ebay. My wraithguard test airbrush attempts turned out decently however:

Maybe I'll get around to doing the infinity nomads I got a couple years back while I wait.

VolatileSky fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 21, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Does anybody have recommendations on forest themed resin bases? I make a lot of my own bases, but for my Wood Elf characters I'm looking for something a little more scenic than I usually do. Most of the forest bases that I've seen are little more than a sand texture with a few roots showing through; I'd like something flashier.

So far the closest that I've found are Micro Art Studio forest bases, which have a lot of nice 3D on them, but many of them are a bit too busy. I especially like the idea of their 40mmx40mm flying base, but I'd rather not have the naked tree dryad popping out of a every tree in a unit of warhawk riders.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Scibor have slightly less busy bases, but they're more of a ruined temple vibe. In terms of good forest bases MAS is your best bet. I'm sure you can tone down the busy nature by painting it a certain way. (maybe not)

The other alternative is making your own out of twigs, seed pods, brass etching etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tadhg posted:

Does anybody have recommendations on forest themed resin bases? I make a lot of my own bases, but for my Wood Elf characters I'm looking for something a little more scenic than I usually do. Most of the forest bases that I've seen are little more than a sand texture with a few roots showing through; I'd like something flashier.

So far the closest that I've found are Micro Art Studio forest bases, which have a lot of nice 3D on them, but many of them are a bit too busy. I especially like the idea of their 40mmx40mm flying base, but I'd rather not have the naked tree dryad popping out of a every tree in a unit of warhawk riders.

Have a look at the Basius basing pads. They have two, Kingswood Forest and Forest of Deep Shadow. http://www.wargamesbakery.co.uk/Basius%20Basing.html

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Question about water slide decals: should I be putting down a layer of gloss finish before putting on the transfer?

Also are Microsol/Microset really needed or does just water do the job?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Have a look at the Basius basing pads. They have two, Kingswood Forest and Forest of Deep Shadow. http://www.wargamesbakery.co.uk/Basius%20Basing.html

I bought 4 different basius pads and am very pleased with them. I have the woodland one but haven't used it yet. The nice thing is that you can cover all or part of a base with whatever you want to mold and leave gaps for other stuff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Speaking of this I have 3 of these things still in the plastic wrap, never used, that I want to get rid of. Does TG have a buy/sell/trade thread that I can't seem to find? I have more than this to sell and SA Mart ain't exactly a target rich environment.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

head58 posted:

Question about water slide decals: should I be putting down a layer of gloss finish before putting on the transfer?

I have basically the same question. My models get instantly dusty, and I can't really seal them. I'll be using microsol/set.

signalnoise posted:

Speaking of this I have 3 of these things still in the plastic wrap, never used, that I want to get rid of. Does TG have a buy/sell/trade thread that I can't seem to find? I have more than this to sell and SA Mart ain't exactly a target rich environment.

At this point all you have to do is edit in a SA mart thread link to your post and you're set.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

Depending on which 3 I am interested. PM me I guess?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

JoshTheStampede posted:

Depending on which 3 I am interested. PM me I guess?

Same here (giving Josh dibs, of course)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

head58 posted:

You should, yes. Gloss provides a smooth, flat surface for you to place the decal on, and helps protect your model from any potential damage or loosening of paint that would happen. You'll want to add matte varnish afterwards to help seal the decal to the model.

As for microsol/set, it's highly recommended by most people. You CAN use just plain ol' water, but don't dunk it into a cup; instead, place it on a moist (not damp) paper towel and wait 30 seconds. Submersion into water destroys the bonding on the decal, which isn't really a problem if you have some decal solvent, but obviously a terrible thing if you don't.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Finished my Chinese rear end Ram.

Couldn't get good pictures of it in the lightbox, because I have a crappy camera.

The Flight Base:

Bonus, what it delivers:

Ugh, I hate painting faces. That looks terrible. I will probably replace it with a regular Terminator head.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

ijyt posted:

Little bit rude.

Love the base though.

Truth is Ill never actually drop three Riptides in a game unless I go to a tournament, which is pretty rare in it's own regard. I just enjoy building/painting them and displaying if anything.

Thanks, even though all I do is buy Secret Weapon bases because gently caress basing.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

These look amazing, and I'm sad that I missed the kickstarter (but glad that they were funded.) 25 pounds is pretty steep, but I know that I'll make up that cost in custom bases for an entire army + terrain making.

I really want to get the entire range now...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was really impressed with the testers we did with some of the other bases. I haven't tried the forest ones yet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tadhg posted:

These look amazing, and I'm sad that I missed the kickstarter (but glad that they were funded.) 25 pounds is pretty steep, but I know that I'll make up that cost in custom bases for an entire army + terrain making.

I really want to get the entire range now...

I did some calculation on it during the kickstarter and came to the conclusion that if you wanted to buy a basius pad and use green stuff instead of buying resin bases outright, you'd need to use it for somewhere close to 100 bases if I recall correctly, including the cost of the greenstuff. Not bad, and of course every single one of those bases would look different instead of having one of 10 resin bases on each figure, and they can be used on any size base up to 6 inches in diameter. On the other hand, you need to account for about 100 bases before you break even. On the third hand apparently there's a fantastic secondary market for them in the states. I could totally see some people buying some pads, making a fuckload of bases, and then sending the pads on their merry way to the next person in the padpass.

That's what I'd do anyway. I totally plan on buying one of the futuristic ones and churning out some Deadzone bases, and I could see passing it around. I wonder if they'd consider that some kind of piracy.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I got the Happy Seppuku basing mat and I'm pretty bummed that those ones look a lot more interesting.

http://happyseppuku.com/texturestamps.html

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

signalnoise posted:

I did some calculation on it during the kickstarter and came to the conclusion that if you wanted to buy a basius pad and use green stuff instead of buying resin bases outright, you'd need to use it for somewhere close to 100 bases if I recall correctly, including the cost of the greenstuff. Not bad, and of course every single one of those bases would look different instead of having one of 10 resin bases on each figure, and they can be used on any size base up to 6 inches in diameter. On the other hand, you need to account for about 100 bases before you break even. On the third hand apparently there's a fantastic secondary market for them in the states. I could totally see some people buying some pads, making a fuckload of bases, and then sending the pads on their merry way to the next person in the padpass.

That's what I'd do anyway. I totally plan on buying one of the futuristic ones and churning out some Deadzone bases, and I could see passing it around. I wonder if they'd consider that some kind of piracy.

I... own a lot of models. To my shame, more are unpainted than not. And even the painted ones I'm considering repainting, and I've learned a lot since then and could do much, much better.

I've used resin bases for a handful of models, usually my really nice centerpiece ones. The rest typically get some combination of sand, tiny rocks, and flock/static grass. While I've sometimes gone gone all-out on making my own bases, I've found that the nice resin bases are infinitely easier to work with. And doing that kind of job for several hundred rank and file troops just never appealed to me.

These pads really are perfect for me. Not all of them, as there are some that don't fit any army of mine or just seem plain uninspiring. But at least half a dozen not only work for me, but will significantly improve the quality of my model bases and save me way more money than buying resin bases for them all. And they'll help tie the bases together my terrain projects if I use them to stamp both. I am excited.

Plus, my FLGS sells green-stuff and green-stuff alternatives in bulk at a good discount. :dance:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Basius pads are also pretty drat helpful if you want to texture the floor of a scenery piece.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I also did the math, and based on what I already had in my possession and wanted to base, grabbing the basius pads came out slightly cheaper already, and that's before I discovered cheap alternatives like brownstuff and greystuff. Being able to make them all unique is an added bonus, plus you can use them for a lot more than the names claim - my Eldar army has an ice world theme, and the the cobblestone road sections of the Baker Street 1825 AD do a pretty good job of looking like a cracked ice sheet. Mean time my Deadzone Marauders are going on Baker Street infinity AD bases quite nicely, my Deadzone Enforcers are going to go on Sulaco Aftermath bases - the first run of which I already gave out for use as Genestealer and Lictor bases in the TG secret santa - and I'm considering reusing what I have or getting a couple new pads to base my Forge Fathers, Rebs, Plague and Asterians.

Best KS investment I've made to date. Wooden decking is the only one I got and haven't used yet, but it was too cool to skip, and I've got some Reaper Bones coming that are gonna look the business on those floorboards :black101:

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Does anyone have any experience using Filters on their models?

http://migproductions.com/2010/11/washes-and-filters/

I'd never heard of them before, but a fried of mine has been using them on a Pre-Heresy Death Guard Contemptor and it looked really cool. He's done a ton of weathering over the top though so it's hard to tell exactly what impact it had. You get certain ones for different gradients aparently. I was thinking of picking up a grey/black for my iron hands, since highlighting black is always a bit tricky to do subtly!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

The Heckler posted:

Does anyone have any experience using Filters on their models?

http://migproductions.com/2010/11/washes-and-filters/

I'd never heard of them before, but a fried of mine has been using them on a Pre-Heresy Death Guard Contemptor and it looked really cool. He's done a ton of weathering over the top though so it's hard to tell exactly what impact it had. You get certain ones for different gradients aparently. I was thinking of picking up a grey/black for my iron hands, since highlighting black is always a bit tricky to do subtly!

Just seems like a fancy name / product for a glaze at first glance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of glazes, I accidentally bought a blue glaze instead of a wash. Can I be a lazy gently caress and not go to the store to return it, or will it cause problems if I try to use it?

• Locked thread