Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
What build is everyone using for Loki? And does it take until 60 before he actually is good because I've been leveling a couple other characters and it feels like other players that are in my same level range are just making GBS threads out damage and I'm doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Nodoze posted:

This is correct. The other thing with her, and Storm for instance, is that she should be this good. There are different classes of ability and she is just so far above most other people in terms of power that it makes sense for her to be "overpowered" in a sense.

Storm and SW should definitely get nerfed before raids, they're the two most overpowered characters in the game and are a free ride in x-defense. The fact that only Scarlet got hit with the nerf hammer means they might actually have some cool raid mechanics that you can't cheese with absurd damage and stacking Storms right?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Why? I feel like they explained their reasoning pretty well.

Doomsaw's line about the medkit affix not being needed due to enemies doing less damage is kind of bullshit. The defense changes they made a few months ago ain't all they're cracked up to be. Higher level Xdef and cosmic terminals still hit with the force of a thousand freight trains. Even with the medkit affix you were far from invulnerable, it just gave you a lot more survivability.

Disco Bandit
Nov 15, 2004

All I want for christmas is a winning season

Afraid of Audio posted:

Buying a hero just gives you a standard hero box, so every hero currently in game has a chance to pop out.

I have gotten 2 Thing tokens from those things.

I mean that last time they did this was at Dr. Strange's release and buying Strange didn't qualify for a random hero box. I wanted to make sure that they weren't just copy/pasting the code from the Strange release before I coughed up my :10bux:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

Doomsaw's line about the medkit affix not being needed due to enemies doing less damage is kind of bullshit. The defense changes they made a few months ago ain't all they're cracked up to be. Higher level Xdef and cosmic terminals still hit with the force of a thousand freight trains. Even with the medkit affix you were far from invulnerable, it just gave you a lot more survivability.

No, they said that due to there being more item slots and other item changes you can have way more health than what they intended when they made that affix.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 22, 2014

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Yay for opening up build diversity.

Also looks like the new legendary might be only good if you have a char with the following:

40%+ crit rate
helas
phys damage at range/hybrid

Can someone show my work?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daric posted:

What build is everyone using for Loki? And does it take until 60 before he actually is good because I've been leveling a couple other characters and it feels like other players that are in my same level range are just making GBS threads out damage and I'm doing nothing.

You get Bouncing Bolt at like level 1, so not really.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

No, they said that due to their being more item slots and other item changes you can have way more health than what they intended when they made that affix.

Yes, they said that, but they also justified it by saying that enemy damage used to be a lot higher, which is only partially true. Certain modes still have enemies hitting extremely hard. The 25% affix still gets a lot of use in those modes.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things I really don't see how it was that overpowered. It was a very useful affix but I never felt like I was some kind of invincible walking god with it on. I still died a lot even on high health heroes.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

WarLocke posted:

Or just 20-point a basic and still poo poo out damage like a furry blue cuisinart.

e: This is a stupid argument anyway. Do what you want, I'm just not going to rely on spirit-return mechanics to try to leverage a basicless build when the basics in question are plenty good enough themselves and the only time you can't use them is if you're dead. It also frees you up from having to devote multiple artifact/runeword/whatever slots just for making sure you have the spirit to skip using a basic attack, so you can instead use those slots to bulk up or increase your damage output.

I ran some quick numbers just in case you wanted to take a look:

Base damage amounts pulled from marvel base

Rank 1 Swashbuckler
1730-2595(2162.5 avg) + 480 CDR
attacks per second 2.8
6055 avg dps before CDR increase

Rank 20 Swashbuckler
3288-4932(4110 avg) + 860 CDR
attacks per second 2.8
11508 avg dps before CDR increase

Rank 1 X slash
4300-6450(5375 avg)
attacks per second 2
10750 avg dps

Rank 20 X slash
8176-12283(10229.5 avg)
attacks per second 2
20459 avg dps

So if you shift your points to X slash and keep a point in Swashbuckler, you would be looking at something like a 75-85%(after allowing for the CDR difference) increase in dps while you have spirit and a 45-50% loss of dps when you dont have it. In game numbers might be wildly different but thats a good idea as far as what you give up going for the basic.

(you do realize that having an optimal build is a big part of the fun for some of us nerds right?)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Daric posted:

The build in the build post. Use this to level and this at 60. He's good from the get-go with Bouncing Bolt, but gets amazing at 30ish with his signature.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toss a point in Projection too. Enemies will forget about you because you just sent 8 of you at them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How are people speccing Gambit nowadays? The info in the build post is...kinda real old.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
It sounds like I (possibly) picked a pretty good time to start playing this? I've been playing for a bit throughout the past week, got through the campaign with Colossus at around level 30 and I'm just now starting to explore the terminals and whatever the hell else is going on. For a freemium game, there's a ton going on here and it's still kinda overwhelming. The campaign felt super duper easy all the way through, and the red terminals are finally giving me a bit of a challenge so I can't just rush in and pound everything without taking any damage so that's fun at least.

With that said (campaign plus minor dabbling in terminal stuff) what the hell should I be trying to get done before this weekend then what should I be aiming for during this weekend? I'm sure as poo poo going to whale a bit and buy some Gs because I am having enough fun with the game to warrant buying a few things. Stash space is looking like a definite, and with BOGO I'll pick up a hero or two. Iron Man and Gambit both sound like fun, is there any reason for me to avoid either one of those two for later on? I'm having enough fun with Colossus still, and it sounds like it is worthwhile to get your dudes to 60, so that is a definite possibility.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
It will get changed back or they will reduce the cooldown on life on hit.

Bosses, X-Def, and cosmic terminals all have ridiculous spike damage that was only made reasonable by these cores. Most heroes do not have a health regen skills. People playing them will flip out enough that the devs will see that once again they think their idea for balance makes sense but really doesn't.

Take MoonKnight for example. He has the statue you can drop to slowly get some health back... then wait for the long cooldown. Also you can use his avatar in a pinch if you're gonna die.

That's it.

That's literally all of the self preservation he has. Now you get to heal 3k every 30 seconds or whatever the cooldown is. On a melee hero. Standing in or around power cosmics, boss aoe, or exploding enemies in the harder cosmic areas.

I'm looking forward to encounter duration being extended 10 fold now that we're going to have to kite every enemy around until we can use seven more health kits. We're loving going to be drowned in the deepest mud and shrouded in a cloak of darkness.

Good luck not getting frustrated that you're being pushed into rolling affixes on your costume that you don't want just because they felt like medkits were too good at this level.

Medkits themselves should be changed to automatically heal 15% HP/SP and the costume affix should add a further heal over time effect provided you aren't hit with CC at which point that would stop. This way you are still able to heal through bullshit damage but there's a risk factor involved making the heal not a guarantee but still possible. Mitigates how "OP" it was at 25% but keeps it worthwhile vs a very lovely 3k.

Yeah, my Colossus at 35k is gonna benefit greatly from that kit.

By Lenin's beard. I will not be denied.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
At last, people will finally recognise the inherent superiority of invuln cores.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Oh Snapple! posted:

How are people speccing Gambit nowadays? The info in the build post is...kinda real old.
I'm having a lot of fun with a Hybrid build right now:

20 Sleight of Hand
20 52 Pick-Up
20 Royal Flush
20 Bo Beatdown
20 Street Sweeper
10 Savate Expert
10 Kinetic Control
1 Cheat Death
1 Bo Vault
Dump the rest into Rajun Cajun

For Artifacts I have AMeta/Adv Starstone Tooth/PSS/AKungFu. Basically I stacked everything that gave me Dodge, and I'm in the process of loading those up with Fandral Blessings. I'm predicting that I'll easily have 50% dodge when I hit 60 (I'm at 55 right now on my first Prestige).

It's probably not an ideal Build, but it's incredibly fun to play.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Melee had it way too good anyways. Heck, the 25% health gain to 3000 flat was actually a boost for her!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

At last, people will finally recognise the inherent superiority of invuln cores.

Melee Ms. Marvel, still Gungnir right? The majority of my damage is from Haymaker/Mighty Punch but I still don't think that makes the Ares axe worth it.

Any of these artifact/medallion changes have you looking at something new? I don't see anything that makes me want to switch from Madame Hydra/AMA/ACCC/Super Soldier/Kung Fu.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lunchboxx posted:

With that said (campaign plus minor dabbling in terminal stuff) what the hell should I be trying to get done before this weekend then what should I be aiming for during this weekend? I'm sure as poo poo going to whale a bit and buy some Gs because I am having enough fun with the game to warrant buying a few things. Stash space is looking like a definite, and with BOGO I'll pick up a hero or two. Iron Man and Gambit both sound like fun, is there any reason for me to avoid either one of those two for later on? I'm having enough fun with Colossus still, and it sounds like it is worthwhile to get your dudes to 60, so that is a definite possibility.

Just make sure you buy Gambit first then open the BOGO token. You'd feel terrible if you bought them together them your bogo from Gambit was an Iron Man token. Iron Man lives up to the hype which is why I saved him for almost last, but instead of playing him properly I went for an all spirit gimmick build and its still just as fun as any hero I've put actual thought into building. Once I get him to red 60 I can start upgrading stuff because I'm determined to hit 2,000 spirit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

20 Sleight of Hand
20 52 Pick-Up
20 Royal Flush
20 Bo Beatdown
20 Street Sweeper
10 Savate Expert
10 Kinetic Control
1 Cheat Death
1 Bo Vault

For Artifacts I have AMeta/Adv Starstone Tooth/PSS/AKungFu. Basically I stacked everything that gave me Dodge, and I'm in the process of loading those up with Fandral Blessings. I'm predicting that I'll easily have 50% dodge when I hit 60 (I'm at 55 right now on my first Presige).

Going hybrid with a melee core definitely seems to be the way to go. Savate is better than Kinetic Control right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

Melee Ms. Marvel, still Gungnir right? The majority of my damage is from Haymaker/Mighty Punch but I still don't think that makes the Ares axe worth it.

Yeah - she has a few energy skills and also has high crit naturally thanks to Kree Toughness, so you want that 2k CDR from Gungnir.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

Yes, they said that, but they also justified it by saying that enemy damage used to be a lot higher, which is only partially true. Certain modes still have enemies hitting extremely hard. The 25% affix still gets a lot of use in those modes.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things I really don't see how it was that overpowered. It was a very useful affix but I never felt like I was some kind of invincible walking god with it on. I still died a lot even on high health heroes.

The problem with instant, on-demand healing of 25% of your life available every 10 seconds is that only burst damage is really a threat because you can so quickly heal up slower damage.

That said, I really hope there are new options dedicated to active means to restore health and spirit. Currently running low on either just turns fights into stalling for time for regeneration and cooldowns. It would be nice to have tactical options other than kiting the boss in circles or spamming your one basic attack.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 22, 2014

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
They definitely know how to get people to spend money on this game. I've never spent money on a F2P game before, and now I'm planning on buying at least 3 heroes this weekend (I want about five or six, but I'll wait and see what the randoms are first). Without the BOGO deal, I probably only would have bought one somewhere down the line.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

HPanda posted:

They definitely know how to get people to spend money on this game.

May '13 davebo: I'm just gonna preorder the Wolverine pack then play whatever free drops I get. Oh the $20 Wolvie pack is "sold out? I'll just get the $60 one.

July '13 davebo: Well maybe I'll just get all the X-Men since that's what I was into when I was young.

December 13' davebo: Hey if I shell out a hundred bucks for the 2014 advance pack then I can use all my splinters to get every hero in the game I don't already have and max out the xp synergy bonus. Of course I'll need to buy stash tabs for the heroes I'm going to prestige a bunch but they're $1.50 cheaper than regular stash tabs so it's stupid not to so gaz take all my money!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

The problem with instant, on-demand healing of 25% of your life available every 10 seconds is that only burst damage is really a threat because you can so quickly heal up slower damage.

The problem is that the on-demand 25% healing is basically mandatory because the game has so much lovely spike damage.

Nerfing the heal without nerfing boss damage is just going to result in making life worse for everyone.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The problem is that the on-demand 25% healing is basically mandatory because the game has so much lovely spike damage.

Nerfing the heal without nerfing boss damage is just going to result in making life worse for everyone.

You're right, they dont exist in a vacuum. We'll just have to speculate on what this means for spike damage until they post more specific notes, or much more likely will just let the changes hit patch and we'll find out if they have changed spike damage at all.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There's a decent amount of character-based healing(I think about half the cast has something or other), but it isn't always especially strong stuff. So most people gear for it-but there's problems there too. Life-on-hit keeps being reworked. Regeneration has always been a bad option in most cases. Killing for health orbs only works where there are things to kill, so that's unreliable too.

I realise they want there to be hope of us dying, but it's problematic.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

What artifacts should I use for Luke? I know there's been a bunch added since I last played. Gonna use Adv Crimson Crystal + Growth for size.. would Advanced Kung-Fu and Advanced Metasensory be best for the other two, or am I overlooking something?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Baram posted:

What artifacts should I use for Luke? I know there's been a bunch added since I last played. Gonna use Adv Crimson Crystal + Growth for size.. would Advanced Kung-Fu and Advanced Metasensory be best for the other two, or am I overlooking something?

Those are good. For slot 4 you can use an Advanced Super-Soldier Serum or a White Suit Jacket. The former is common, the latter rather rare and expensive.

Edit: Regarding the upcoming melee changes...

There are two heroes whose melee will be buffed enough to make me real excited to see how they play in content I've already cleared numerous times. Specifically MK and C-Money (or C-Los, C-Sharp, Co-Bang Bang, and my favorite, Colossucks).

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 22, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Baram posted:

Pym's Shrinking, but I'd avoid Luke for now while he's broken.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Toshimo posted:

Pym's Shrinking, but I'd avoid Luke for now while he's broken.

Broken in what sense?

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Those are good. For slot 4 you can use an Advanced Super-Soldier Serum or a White Suit Jacket. The former is common, the latter rather rare and expensive.

Edit: Regarding the upcoming melee changes...

There are two heroes whose melee will be buffed enough to make me real excited to see how they play in content I've already cleared numerous times. Specifically MK and C-Money (or C-Los, C-Sharp, Co-Bang Bang, and my favorite, Colossucks).

Which change are you referring to exactly? Stat changes?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Attributes mainly. Fighting skills getting a 25% base damage buff before new Str and Fighting bonuses = hellll yesssssssssssss

Post-Modok Gaming Session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM572Kj_ac

Re: Luke.
Pym's is good on him if you also stack Fandral and use the Dodge synergy bonuses (TM and SM). A Tony Stark insignia with +Dodge helps as well.

He doesn't have much dodge rating alone, but pumping it with the listed items above helps out tremendously.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

No more using a level 30-some 25% health/spirit core on my prestige characters all the way to 60. Guess I'll have to start saving 4-5 costumes instead of 2. :v:

Edit: Unless the 3000/100 health/spirit return is the same at all levels (it won't be).

trem
Sep 17, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

20 Sleight of Hand
20 52 Pick-Up
20 Royal Flush
20 Bo Beatdown
20 Street Sweeper
10 Savate Expert
10 Kinetic Control
1 Cheat Death
1 Bo Vault

For Artifacts I have AMeta/Adv Starstone Tooth/PSS/AKungFu. Basically I stacked everything that gave me Dodge, and I'm in the process of loading those up with Fandral Blessings. I'm predicting that I'll easily have 50% dodge when I hit 60 (I'm at 55 right now on my first Prestige).

My melee Gambit build: (warning: probably terrible, about to start prestige 2 anyways)
20 Bo Strike (lol)
20 Bo Beatdown
20 Savate Expert
20 Grand Slam
20 Street Sweep
20 Sleight of Hand
1 into: Bo Vault (I love this skill), Ace of Spades, Royal Flush, Kinetic Control, 52 Pickup, House of Cards, Cheat Death, Sticky Fingers, Ragin' Cajun

My artifacts are: Adv Meta, SH Yukio's, Kung Fu, and Adv Super Soldier Serum
Definitely not BiS or anything, basically just using what I've found so far. I have some other ones too but I can't remember what they are. Magik is kind enough to carry them around for me.

When I hit 60 the first time I was using some hybrid build I saw on the forums.
I maxed Bo Strike just to see if it was worth it. It isn't. The only time I use it is when I'm trying to keep a yellow alive so I can kill poo poo for a LQ (mostly on MGH Brutes and Lavamen).
Bo Beatdown+Street Sweep is fantastic. When I remember, I throw a RF (for the vuln) or an AoS first because some of my gear gives me a buff to melee when I do a ranged attack first.
I picked up House of Cards just to check it out and I rarely use it. By the time the cards explode everything is already dead.
If I'm feeling lazy or if there's just a lot of poo poo all around me, I'll spam Grand Slam (for the stun and because it's a pretty big area attack when you release it).

Oh and I use the relic that gives +spirit :lol:

Next prestige I'll probably leave the basic at 1, put less into Grand Slam, more into the kinetic tree, and dunno what else. Haven't really thought about it.

trem fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 22, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bloodly posted:

Broken in what sense?

Pet auras are currently non-functional.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
As far as I can tell they didn't do much to alleviate the problem with relics, if anything maybe they made it worse by changing how healing works.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nickhimself posted:

Attributes mainly. Fighting skills getting a 25% base damage buff before new Str and Fighting bonuses = hellll yesssssssssssss

Post-Modok Gaming Session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM572Kj_ac

Re: Luke.
Pym's is good on him if you also stack Fandral and use the Dodge synergy bonuses (TM and SM). A Tony Stark insignia with +Dodge helps as well.

He doesn't have much dodge rating alone, but pumping it with the listed items above helps out tremendously.

Iron Fist gives over 1100 dodge and I'd probably run Kung Fu with Pyms. That's a fair bit right there even without Fandrals.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Broken in what sense?

Pet auras aren't working so his summons don't provide a stat boost on top of doing negligible damage.

Watching Iron Fist wildly flail around to slowly defeat a single regular enemy is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Toshimo posted:

Pet auras are currently non-functional.

Did they rebreak them? I know it seemed a couple weeks ago or so when I played him I was getting the bonuses.

• Locked thread