Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Reese modeling my purchase from Etsy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

haha I recognize that expression

:stare: :effort: :stare:

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

RazorBunny posted:

Apparently Vastra is too much of a princess to eat raw chicken. She took it to her bed and then forgot about it, and wouldn't take it from me when I offered it again. She was very interested in the goat cheese I was cutting up, but I'm not quite ready to deal with the epic farts that would likely cause.

We went on a nice long walk through the neighborhoods today and ignored some fence-running dogs, some guys doing construction, and a squirrel carrying an entire slice of bread. She has pretty good leash manners so far, I was pleased. And she's doing really well with our staircases, especially the outdoor one (which is kind of scary because it's wood and has an open back). All in all she seems to be adjusting nicely.

She likes to hang out in her crate a lot, although she's starting to chill on the other beds in the house as well.

Pretty girl! She is the exact same brindle color as my non-greyhound dog. :3: Congratulations on your new addition.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
First night home for ours, who has been christened Francis York Morgan, but you can call him York. Everyone does. So.. is the first night with a puppy always this nervewracking? I'm terrified!

He's had a good wander around, and pooed near the front door (he can't go out til his second set of injections, and he missed the puppy pad by like, an inch, bless) after having a huge bowl of food. The cats are displeased but he's not too bothered by them, he'll look at them if they're staring at him, but he's easily distracted from them. Hopefully they'll get used to him but I'm half-worried that they won't- I didn't expect them to be insta-cuddling or anything and they're snoozing away quite happily now, so probably I'm worrying over nothing.

York is also snoozing, having ignored the fleecey bed we got him in favour of a pile of laundry.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Welp. I emailed the adoption representative with my situation, and she said to go ahead and move forward with scheduling the home visit. Apparently a lot of greyhound owners have ferrets and it isn't an issue. Of course now the hardest part will begin. I've volunteered at the kennel several times, so probably have a better grasp on their various personalities than most first time adopters, but still don't really know a lot about how they change once outside the kennel. One of the bigger things I'm wondering is regarding the more skittish dogs. There are a couple that will recoil if you start running towards them but are otherwise willing to come up to you for attention. Are these dogs likely to overcome that and be great social dogs that everybody loves? Also, any signs that a dog might chew, bark, be more on the trainable side, have separation anxiety, etc?
Beginning to get pretty excited.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We Took Jake to the off leash park today. This park has separate sections for large and small dogs. The small dog section is 20 pounds and under. I took Jake into the big dog section and he ran around chasing tennis balls and smelling butts. He had a great time. I noticed when we walked in that one guy had a very small shih tzu mix with him. Probably still a puppy, had to be less than ten pounds, closer to five. The guy was sitting on a bench holding it, I thought it was odd that he would bring such a tiny dog into the big dog section but since he was holding it, it should be fine. While we weren't looking he let it loose and it wandered into the middle of the area. As you can probably guess, a small white fluffy animal in the open and a fresh-off-the-track unleashed greyhound can lead to disaster. Jake spotted it from halfway across the park, hit full gallop, and had the dog by the neck in a just a few seconds. He began rolling it on the ground in the same manner that he destroys his toys. The small dog's owner got there first and ripped Jake off of his dog. I leashed him, apologized and asked if his dog was hurt. The guy was upset and said "no, he had him by the neck!" I asked again to clarify, I wanted to see if he was actually injured. His response was "I guess we can't be in this area!". No poo poo Sherlock. I asked if he was bleeding and while he didn't respond, he was looking through the fur for injuries but luckily for me he turned out to be fine. I took Jake over to the watering area and three other dog owners, one a previous greyhound owner, commended us saying that the guy shouldn't have let his snack sized dog loose on in the big dog side. One lady said that if her dog had seen it, that would have been the end. Despite this we were still shook up seeing our dog almost kill another dog right in front of us. I'm thinking we could muzzle him next time but that could leave him defenseless if another dog attacks him.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Not your fault at all. Standard operating procedure for small dogs in the big dog park is ASK IF THE BIG DOGS ARE OKAY WITH IT. Some small dogs are terrors and need bigger dogs to bounce off of. Dude is an idiot if he didn't recognize an effing greyhound zipping around the park as a possible problem.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not your fault at all. Standard operating procedure for small dogs in the big dog park is ASK IF THE BIG DOGS ARE OKAY WITH IT. Some small dogs are terrors and need bigger dogs to bounce off of. Dude is an idiot if he didn't recognize an effing greyhound zipping around the park as a possible problem.

Yeah, we've only had Jake a few weeks and we haven't seen this yet so we weren't sure how to handle it. His last race was in February so he's still in race condition and anything resembling the lure is extremely interesting to him. The adoption agency usually rates their cat friendliness as A, B, or C. His just said "NO CATS". His prey drive is high and I'm starting to think the dude is lucky that half of his dog isn't in my dog's stomach. Why he didn't kill on the first bite is beyond me, just feeling lucky now.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Rhoga and I visited my mom on Sunday, and Tess really liked hanging out in her flowers:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Those pictures of Tess are great, what a happy looking hound! I especially like the middle one where she is like yes I am the queen this is my flowery domain. You should enter them in the April post your pet thread.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Sharing some photos of Jake:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Super ears! Mine does this too:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

This beast is eating my whole house, it's ridiculous. Never known a greyhound to be such a persistent chewer. I'm hoping it will be like Husker's brief obsession with plush - he realized he liked plush toys, and then suddenly everything soft was a dog toy. Maybe once she's gotten over the excitement of CHEWING ALL THE THINGS she'll stick to chewing appropriate items. She utterly destroyed my husband's cufflink box, of all things.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lhet posted:

ferrets
Yesterday my dog found a rabbit nest! He and the hawk have an arrangement apparently, he mauls a baby rabbit until it's dead and then the hawk carries off the corpse. Sorry no horrible pics since this isn't GBS. Anyway all that's left now is some baby rabbit juice.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

slap me silly posted:

Yesterday my dog found a rabbit nest! He and the hawk have an arrangement apparently, he mauls a baby rabbit until it's dead and then the hawk carries off the corpse. Sorry no horrible pics since this isn't GBS. Anyway all that's left now is some baby rabbit juice.

Wow. The worst thing my dog did so far was poo poo then immediately get distracted and step in it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slap me silly posted:

That's a pretty awesome arrangement. I don't like having to steal and dispose of the corpse-toy and hawks are awesome.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

After 2.5 years of frustration, Abby finally got a small animal this morning. There was this little mouse sitting in the grass that she lunged at before I could notice. I pulled her back but the damage was already done. On my way back I saw it sitting there, twitching. Poor mouse :smith:

I think Abby really enjoyed the experience.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

various cheeses posted:

Wow. The worst thing my dog did so far was poo poo then immediately get distracted and step in it.

My dog did this after dropping a really soft turd. He then tried to shake it off his paw and flung it directly at my crotch. That was an awkward walk home. He doesn't seem to have much interest in rodent murder at least. I can't even get him to play with his plushies. He does love to destroy random cardboard he fishes out of the recycling box though.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Haha, mine is so afraid of cardboard that he won't come into a room if there's a box there.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I started panicking last night when I woke up and Mona wasn't in her bed, and wasn't by the bedroom door wanting to be let out. Turns out, she decided the pile of close in my closet would make a nice place to sleep. Guess I need to tidy up.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
A greyhound issue that might be a separation anxiety issue as well?

When we first got Tatianna she loved her crate. She would spend the majority of the time in her crate if given a choice. And as she's gotten more at home, and (honestly) we've gotten more beds for her to lay around the house on, she no longer lays in her crate very often. However, since she doesn't like being home alone, and she's had a few potty accidents and chewed up some blinds, we don't prefer to leave her out while we're gone. So now she's back to being left home alone in the crate. We only ever close the crate door when we're leaving the house and now she's put together that when we ask her to go to her crate, we're leaving. And now she's refusing to go into her crate on her own, although doesn't react badly to being led into her crate. So how should we maintain her comfort with the crate? I know when you train them, treats and toys can be used in the crate. Should we just randomly crate her while we're home during the day? Her separation anxiety might be affected by the fact that my husband is home all day, and she gets to lay near him all day as well.

Also, we bought "Don't Leave Me" for the separation anxiety and it just came in yesterday. Work will begin immediately.

e: for clarity

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

My dog did this after dropping a really soft turd. He then tried to shake it off his paw and flung it directly at my crotch. That was an awkward walk home. He doesn't seem to have much interest in rodent murder at least. I can't even get him to play with his plushies. He does love to destroy random cardboard he fishes out of the recycling box though.

I gave Vastra a paper towel tube and she did a little dance and took it to her crate to shred it :3:

gninjagnome posted:

I started panicking last night when I woke up and Mona wasn't in her bed, and wasn't by the bedroom door wanting to be let out. Turns out, she decided the pile of close in my closet would make a nice place to sleep. Guess I need to tidy up.

My stepson used to leave piles of dirty clothes, or comforters he had tossed off the bed, or whatever in his room and Husker used to love to burrow in and snooze.

Speaking of killing things, Husker accidentally did in a baby bird at one point. It was fledging, and fluttering around, and he grabbed it playfully, and, well...he was very sad about it, and kept nudging it with his nose until we took it away. I genuinely don't think he realized he was going to harm it. I think it died instantly, thankfully.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

So I don't know if my new pup Chance belongs here or not, but he is a "greyhound mix" that I took home from a local no-kill shelter last week.
Maybe you guys can help me identify what he may be mixed with!

Jove Tone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 23, 2014

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Do you have more shots of him? Maybe some of his whole body from the side?

My first thought was Ridgeback or APBT. Good looking boy!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Yep, looks like a pittie mix to me.

I will need to see more pictures though, ideally. Not for ID purposes, but because look at his cute little face.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

"I'm perfectly comfortable, why do you ask?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Pointy dawg :3:

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
We have officially determined that she just has isolation anxiety. Which is slightly better than separation anxiety because at least she will be fine if we leave her at a friend's house who has dogs. But we're moving soon, so has anyone else had any luck helping a grey over isolation distress? Or do most of you guys have more than one animal? I know most people who get greys get more than one (because how could you resist, really...) so how may "companions" do your greys have?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Home visit is tomorrow. I'm assuming just have the place more or less clean and things should be fine?
e: approved!

I gathered a list of about 20ish available dogs that would theoretically fit my circumstances, and after volunteering for turnout, more or less halved it, mostly based on barking (which isn't a complete deal breaker, but I have to narrow it based on something). After volunteering for turnout this weekend, I more or less narrowed the list of dogs down to 7 or so, but not all of them have been small dog tested, so that might lower the count a bit. Anyways, the dogs more or less fall into a couple categories:
Four of them are sweet, quiet, fairly relaxed dogs, two males and two females, 2.5-4 years old. The one possible downfall is that they all somewhat resist being put back into their kennel, which I'm guessing means there will be a degree of separation anxiety.
There are also couple other boys with slightly more outgoing personalities, which could be good.
The youngest consideration is only 1, and is from South Korea. He's energetic, but seems to be very trainable, already knowing sit and shake, and he seems like he's one step away from fetching (pays attention to a ball in hand and chases it, but then drops it after a few seconds). Thinking that maybe this plus the plan of taking him to work might work out really well. I notice that he does an interesting low stalking type walk around the ball, which I haven't really seen other greyhounds do, and he kinda looks a bit different (here are a couple pictures), so I'm wondering if he might not be 100% greyhound (maybe part lurcher/galgo?).

Lhet fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 30, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

It rained a lot this week and I discovered to my surprise that I actually adopted a retired racing Labrador Retriever.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pastor of muppets posted:

It rained a lot this week and I discovered to my surprise that I actually adopted a retired racing Labrador Retriever.

Hilarious!! Mine will not even get his toes wet.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona will do that too. We bought her a kiddie pool to lie in during the summer.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah, I was just thinking about how easy it will be to keep her occupied this summer. Definitely investing in a kiddie pool!

On another note, am I the only weirdo who keeps their dog on a leash at the dog park? It"s a little over an acre of enclosed space, but owners there tend to not keep an eye on their dogs and fights break out all the time. Rory gets plenty of zoomie-time in our backyard, but I still like to take her there to have a chance to socialize. I also have the double paranoias of her being my first dog AND I work in veterinary medicine, so I see the worst case results of dog park scuffles. Also, being a greyhound her recall still isn't great and I don't really trust HER to retreat from a fight if she gets involved and I call her.

Anyway, after her "swim" today and her romp at the dog park I took her for a bath at a groom-your-own-pet bathhouse. She smells like green tea now. :3:

The cats still look disappointed every time I bring her back from an outing.

"You again?!" :saddowns:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

On another note, am I the only weirdo who keeps their dog on a leash at the dog park? It"s a little over an acre of enclosed space, but owners there tend to not keep an eye on their dogs and fights break out all the time. Rory gets plenty of zoomie-time in our backyard, but I still like to take her there to have a chance to socialize. I also have the double paranoias of her being my first dog AND I work in veterinary medicine, so I see the worst case results of dog park scuffles. Also, being a greyhound her recall still isn't great and I don't really trust HER to retreat from a fight if she gets involved and I call her.

For a lot of dogs this wouldn't be a good idea. There's a reason that so many dogs are leash reactive but fine off-leash: the leash can restrict a dog from giving good social cues like a wide berth or flowing curvy motion. A dog that lunges on a leash looks threatening, even if they're lunging because they want to go interact with the other dog in an appropriate way. Combine that with the possibility of dogs getting tangled up on-leash and you may create more problems than you solve.

I feel like a leash tab rather than something that may pull tight or drag is a better choice for dogs you think you'll need to collect.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I have zero to contribute to the dog park discussion, we haven't taken Reese yet. Our last dog was a golden retriever who loved everyone and everything so the dog park was easy. I'm still a bit wary of trying it with Reese.

What I wanted to comment on was Rory's ears in that photo, they are standing straight up! Does she do that a lot? Reese's ears are almost always back against his head unless I am playing with them (soooo soft). Love the kitties looking out the door too.

To the person who asked about other pets and separation anxiety: we have two cats but they don't seem to figure appreciably into our hounds feelings at being left on his own. The aforementioned golden had way more problems with being left alone and did seem to get better with it when introduced to cats. Even though she didn't cuddle with them per say, it seemed like having another creature or two around soothed her.

Reese the greyhound however loves being with us and will follow us from room to room but it we put him in his crate or put a baby gate up and get ready to leave he is just like ok this is fine. It was kind of awesome at Easter when we were serving dinner he was getting a bit pushy and we put him in his crate which is in the same room as the table and he flopped and roached. Rosie couldn't even stand to be restrained in the same room as us without barking her drat head off. I think what I am trying to say is it depends on the dog and what they get comfort from. I hope you are able to make some progress soon!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If my dog is really interested in something, he has both ears all the way up and quivering. If he's kind of interested, one ear is up and the other is halfway up. It's about the cutest thing he does, which I suppose is why I couldn't find a picture of it. So here are some pictures of him being a dumbass:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Part of me feels like I need to just stop being a weenie and let her off on her own at the dog park. I was worried about some deep-seated prey drive kicking in, but she doesn't seem to have any weird triggers towards certain types of dogs so far. I usually meet a friend there, and she's noted that since her dog Maddie has started hanging around Rory, Maddie's manners towards other dogs have improved significantly!

Rory's ears stand up about half the time. It's adorable. They're very expressive. Even when she's sleeping, if she's on her side, they'll flop forward and stay like that. :3:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 2, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Gannon's ears stick straight up like that whenever he's focused on something far away. Sometimes when he's lying down he's perk an ear up as well to monitor an interesting sound without getting up. They'll also go out to the side when he's trying to communicate with me/figure out what I'm saying.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Part of me feels like I need to just stop being a weenie and let her off on her own at the dog park. I was worried about some deep-seated prey drive kicking in, but she doesn't seem to have any weird triggers towards certain types of dogs so far. I usually meet a friend there, and she's noted that since her dog Maddie has started hanging around Rory, Maddie's manners towards other dogs have improved significantly!

Mine seems absolutely fine with any and all other dogs, including the smallest and shittiest chihuahuas one of my neighbors owns. She'll do a backflip and try as hard as possible to break her own neck if she sees a cat while we're walking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Husker had his ears up a lot more often than Vastra seems to. She tends to put hers out to the side instead. Also his ears were a little stiffer than hers, like they had more cartilage or something.

She's meeting my stepsister's bluetick/pointer/? (big ole spotty hound dog, in other words) Eli today, hopefully they'll be friends.

Unrelated, she's been stealing clean clothes out of my laundry basket. No damage, just dragging them over to her bed while I'm in the shower or something. Guess I need to get off my rear end and put my clothes away...