Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mother gently caress 58 new posts and no new comic. I can't believe you assholes had that many puns in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phenotype posted:

Mother gently caress 58 new posts and no new comic. I can't believe you assholes had that many puns in you.
This thread is really all bark and no bite.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't think we're tapped out quite yet.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
If you don't like it, you can just, y'know, get out of here.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Eschers Basement posted:

If you don't like it, you can just, y'know, get out of here.

You forgot to tell him to make like a tree.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

He might as well just log out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
To change the subject a little, I took a look at Rich's twitter. Highlights: he's apparently busy with OOTS sidework and will consider ebooks when he's finished with the Kickstarter stories. Also, thumb isn't oakay.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cat Mattress posted:

To change the subject a little, I took a look at Rich's twitter. Highlights: he's apparently busy with OOTS sidework and will consider ebooks when he's finished with the Kickstarter stories. Also, thumb isn't oakay.

:psyduck: Rich

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Considering that Roy's art update now includes faulds... that's actually pretty funny.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wood you look at that: an :siren: update :siren:

Glad to see wizards take care of everything, as usual.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm not sure what the point of that was, but it's nice to see Mr. Scruffy and the T-Rex getting along.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hey I just noticed their hair is now being blown around. That's a nice detail.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not sure what the point of that was, but it's nice to see Mr. Scruffy and the T-Rex getting along.

Also good to get confirmation that Bloodfeast hasn't been forgotten.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That art is actually really entertainingly good, now, though it may be ~1000 strips of flatly posed c/p stick figures talking.

And yeah, Bloodfeast and Mr S is a heartwarming sight.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Did V cast Fly just so he wouldn't have to climb a ladder?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PFlats posted:

Did V cast Fly just so he wouldn't have to climb a ladder?

Maybe she's running something permanently now. Or at least for all the time they're on the airship.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I'd ask how you can fly in an airship without the airship pushing you around since fly doesn't tether you to an object but gently caress it I don't care and I don't want :words: about it (Though it would be better than tree puns at least)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

My other airship is a carpet. :3:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Forer posted:

I'd ask how you can fly in an airship without the airship pushing you around since fly doesn't tether you to an object but gently caress it I don't care and I don't want :words: about it (Though it would be better than tree puns at least)

MY PHYSICS-DEFYING SPELL DOES NOT STRICTLY FOLLOW NEWTONIAN MECHANICS :spergin::spergin::spergin::emo::emo::emo:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Forer posted:

A wizard did it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DoctorTristan posted:

MY PHYSICS-DEFYING SPELL DOES NOT STRICTLY FOLLOW NEWTONIAN MECHANICS :spergin::spergin::spergin::emo::emo::emo:

It does though? It is the same as if you move on any moving vehicle, be it airship, boat, bus, or the astronauts on the space station. Or even you here on earth. Their initial velocity is the same as the craft so all their movements are normal relative to that frame of reference. It would only be different if the craft was under acceleration, and even then only matter if they were doing so fast enough that there was a noticeable shift. And that would be impacting everyone not just the flier.

Nice use of perspective there. Really appreciating the new art

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm trying to parse V's reaction in that 4th-to-last panel. Perhaps slight disappointment at how easy that was?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Forer posted:

You want :words: about it, you say?! Here's a fun physics thing to try: the next time you're in a steadily moving vehicle, try dropping something. You'll notice that it appears to fall straight down, even though there's no force acting on it to push it forward along with the vehicle. This is thanks to momentum: as soon as you let it go, the object effectively becomes a projectile moving forward at the same speed as your vehicle relative to the earth, and only appears to be falling straight down to you because you are moving forward as fast as it is.

As such, as long as the airship doesn't change its direction while you were in the air and there were no forces (such as wind resistance) acting against you, jumping or flying while on an airship wouldn't fling you backwards. If you're on the deck of the ship and being buffeted by the wind, you could probably convince your DM to use the wind rules, so you'd be fine as long as you're not moving faster than 30 MPH.

:goonsay:

Or you could just ignore physics, because if we weren't, that Forcecage that V dropped on Laurin should have totally torn through the airship as it flew.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Forer posted:

For the same reason you can jump in an airplane (but only once, then they tackle you and call a terrorist :( )

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Keep in mind that D&D settings are generally set on Earth-like planets, which orbit their own sun and stuff. A planet moves fast. Like a car, train, plane, or airship, but actually even faster!

Just assume that magic is convenient enough to use the most relevant referential.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

There was a dumb post here, where I said something wrong. It's gone now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In fact, let's keep in mind that there's no such thing as a universal 'stop'!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is what's going on here that we're being shown that V not only isn't trying to avoid using more power and magic than necessary, but is instead using magic trivially and as the first resort? Are we seeing a return to V's earlier attitudes after the soul splice-inspired change in behavior?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

V probably just has Overland Flight up at all times, considering that they're on an airship and all. Long lasting, no real reason not to.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Pope Guilty posted:

Is what's going on here that we're being shown that V not only isn't trying to avoid using more power and magic than necessary, but is instead using magic trivially and as the first resort? Are we seeing a return to V's earlier attitudes after the soul splice-inspired change in behavior?

Maybe, but I'm not a big fan of retreading old plot points. Instead I like to think it's to show us the team becoming over-reliant on V and his overpowered magic, which will come back to bite them in the behind when the fiends inevitably play their hand again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

About the flight thing, maybe, though that seems like a good idea anyway when you're an adventurer on an airship.

About using cone of cold to put out the fire, no. Solving the problem as fast as possible is what you'd want to do when the problem is "my airship is on fire", and that's quite specifically what he's been called to do. Haley wouldn't have evacuated the area, called V and told the resident wizard that frost magic worked well enough if the intention was to get one more person to toss buckets of water on the flames or cover them with wet tarps. This page was "Hey, wizard! Do the wizardy thing!" Even if the focus was on Vaarsuvius, the point, if any, would rather be on the rest of the team's attitude, like Triple Elation said.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

For me the big thing is the Ray of Frost. I guess it's just a throwaway punchline, but that tiny little flame could've easily been put out without magic, and I'd expect post-splice Varsuuvius to avoid doing something that trivial with magic.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Pope Guilty posted:

For me the big thing is the Ray of Frost. I guess it's just a throwaway punchline, but that tiny little flame could've easily been put out without magic, and I'd expect post-splice Varsuuvius to avoid doing something that trivial with magic.

Ray of Frost is also a level 0 spell that does all of 1d3 damage. He's not going to miss the spell cast.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't help but think that the major point of this strip was to show off more of the art upgrade.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is it just me, or... Is the latest arc not really grabbing people's attention as much as the strip used to? Like, during the stuff from Malack's fight with Durkon and on, I was practically on the edge of my seat for the next update. Now... It's like I just want it to get to the meat of the latest plotline already.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Is it just me, or... Is the latest arc not really grabbing people's attention as much as the strip used to? Like, during the stuff from Malack's fight with Durkon and on, I was practically on the edge of my seat for the next update. Now... It's like I just want it to get to the meat of the latest plotline already.

This is the start of a new book, coming off the climax of the last one. Of course it's less gripping.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's also been only four pages.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regalingualius posted:

It's literally the first pages of a new book. Of course it's not as gripping as the climax of the previous book. Go back and re-read the opening pages of the previous book.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Alright, alright, fair enough on that front. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I can't help but think that the major point of this strip was to show off more of the art upgrade.
Pretty much my impression. Maybe with a little bit of showing how a lightning strike to the airship really ain't no big thing for these guys anymore, but mostly it's "get everyone in panel once."