Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
This is FTTH and not FTTN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ComputerNinja posted:

Also, wtf, 250GB for 25mb. Did that just drop? I could have sworn it was like 400GB.
Pretty sure it was.

gently caress Telus. Really. They're doing everything they can to fight streaming. Sure, streaming alone it's probably good enough for all but the most hardcore but hopefully you don't have to reinstall windows or download several games from PSN or Steam in the same month.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

slidebite posted:

Pretty sure it was.

gently caress Telus. Really. They're doing everything they can to fight streaming. Sure, streaming alone it's probably good enough for all but the most hardcore but hopefully you don't have to reinstall windows or download several games from PSN or Steam in the same month.

Yeah I didn't switch to start.ca because the first day I got my Xbone, I downloaded something like 70GB , plus my girlfriend got a new game on Steam. I don't want to deal with my traffic having less priority because of poo poo like that. I'll pay TekSavvy more for a solid connection with no throttling.

A week later we both got the Diablo upgrade at 25GB/each, then I lost my Steam hard drive and did something like 150GB in a day getting it all some back.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
No idea when these packages showed up, but I just now saw them: https://www.rogers.com/web/content/internet-packages

They look quite sweet (speeds and all). What's the hybrid fibre thingy? FTTN as in bell's case, just with cable from the node to the house? Or is it something else?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

rhag posted:

They look quite sweet (speeds and all).

Are you crazy? Those prices / caps are insane. $51.99 for 10mb down & 25GB cap is where they start.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Oh My Science posted:

Are you crazy? Those prices / caps are insane. $51.99 for 10mb down & 25GB cap is where they start.

Hybrid Fibre 250 - download 250 Mbps - 500GB cap - $99.99

that doesn't look too bad to me. yes, the low speed one is insanely expensive, but the higher tiers are not (given the alternatives). I now have cable with Start, 150Mbps for $89. Rogers has right now essentially a better deal.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

rhag posted:

Hybrid Fibre 250 - download 250 Mbps - 500GB cap - $99.99

that doesn't look too bad to me. yes, the low speed one is insanely expensive, but the higher tiers are not (given the alternatives). I now have cable with Start, 150Mbps for $89. Rogers has right now essentially a better deal.

Man you people are getting screwd in ontario.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Sprawl posted:

Dude you don't say.

rhag posted:

that doesn't look too bad to me blah blah blah blah

Is the prevalent attitude with most people I meet who subscribe to Bell or Rogers directly, here. There is such complacency for the gouging it's absurd.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Dude you don't say.

Is the prevalent attitude with most people I meet who subscribe to Bell or Rogers directly, here. There is such complacency for the gouging it's absurd.

I wish i had options, I wish i would have google fibre gigabit for 70$, but unfortunately i dont. My question is: what's with the hybrid fibre? is it FTTN like bell? as things stand right now it looks a better deal than i can get anywhere else, but I am open to suggestions.

I don't subscribe to Start or to Teksavvy just to make a point, i subscribed to them (Start.ca now) because it was cheaper. I dont have a problem to go to rogers if their offer is better, even if when you think about it still sucks.

Please enlighten me on the gouging. Can i get a better deal someplace else and i just don't know about it?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

It says fiber to the neighborhood and high capacity coax to your home.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
It's kinda worth it I guess, especially the unlimited use ones where it's 100+ mbps. Especially when you have roommates it's a no-brainer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sprawl posted:

:smith:

I console myself with the fact that my hockey team has won (5) Stanley Cups within my own lifetime.
On the bright side, TekSavvy owns the lower tiers, but what I wouldn't kill to get that upload speed...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

rhag posted:

Can i get a better deal someplace else and i just don't know about it?

You probably can't! I wasn't implying there is a better deal but rather the best deal in a bag of garbage is still garbage and you're okay with that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

You probably can't! I wasn't implying there is a better deal but rather the best deal in a bag of garbage is still garbage and you're okay with that.

I don't understand where you're coming from: just because their cheapest deal provides nothing for an exorbitant price (nobody in their right mind would buy that), it means that i shouldn't even consider their better deal where they promise higher speeds for same or less money than the competition?
You would rather go with Teksavvy and pay almost the same and get a lot less just because they're not Rogers? How does that make any financial sense?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

rhag posted:

I don't understand where you're coming from: just because their cheapest deal provides nothing for an exorbitant price (nobody in their right mind would buy that), it means that i shouldn't even consider their better deal where they promise higher speeds for same or less money than the competition?
You would rather go with Teksavvy and pay almost the same and get a lot less just because they're not Rogers? How does that make any financial sense?

You need to look at the long term picture.
1. Part of the reason that these plans are almost reasonable is because of TPIA competition.
2. Teksavvy has inquired into these new tiers and will have to offer them in a few months. People on old tiers will be grandfathered in.

Rogers also has a tradition of quickly gimping their plans. Today that 350gig plan can easily be 300 in 6 months and 250 in a year.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

rhag posted:

they promise higher speeds

Key point here. Rogers has a history of not living up to their own advertising and reliability/speed claims.

Rogers delenda est

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Key point here. Rogers has a history of not living up to their own advertising and reliability/speed claims.

Rogers delenda est

Which is why I wanted to see if anyone has those packages and if they're giving what they claim. The "competition" (those on cable) are still on their network, so they cannot provide better service than what rogers does, except when they're assholes (4-5 years ago they used to employ packet sniffing making several games unplayable. rumors were that a few years back they dropped that practice, but i've never heard from someone still on rogers if that's the case or not).

In my experience (been with rogers 5 years ago, been with the others on cable since), there wasnt much difference in speed/reliability between the teksavvy/start/rogers, the only thing that the others had were better speeds/caps for less money, which is why i moved in the first place.

Well, since nobody tried these new plans yet, i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and see how they behave. Not like I can't switch back should they back down on their promises.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rogers has been horrifically unreliable for me, starting about two years ago.
Then it got even worse last summer, and I was, "One more chance for this abusive, piece of poo poo husband of an ISP,"

I switched In January, and the stability and signal quality was immediately, significantly improved. Packet loss down, prices down, and speeds back up.

I've been with them since '05. gently caress Rogers. gently caress their anti-consumer cartel with the other ISPs.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EngineerJoe posted:

Rogers also has a tradition of quickly gimping their plans. Today that 350gig plan can easily be 300 in 6 months and 250 in a year.
Canadian ISPs have pulled a neat trick and seemingly turned consumer electronics and associated services on its head. Give it time, it actually becomes more expensive and less capable instead of the other way around.

I mean, poo poo, The oligopoly ISPs are charging more and providing less than a year ago. What a joke.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I've been noticing an issue with Teksavvy lately and they tell me they are stumped and are opening a ticket with Telus, who, of course said there is nothing wrong with my dsl connection.

I'm on the 25/2 package and have been really happy with my service but lately from about, say 7PM to Midnight my download speeds have dropped drastically.

Instead of 25/3 I generally get 4/3 or maybe 10/3 if I am lucky.

It is worth noting my pings seem unaffected and my tracerts show good with no loss even when it's at its worst. It seems to the uneducated me strictly a bandwidth issue at peak time.

I have tried speedtesting with 3 different computers and the same issue, including plugging my laptop directly in at the modem.

Is that common with DSL?

They are asking Telus to do checks during the window of problems because if they do in the middle of the day or off hours, it will be fine.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Are your pings fine because you're prioritizing ICMP? Ensure that's off. But yeah, that's not normal for DSL, no.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

slidebite posted:

hopefully you don't have to reinstall windows or download several games from PSN or Steam in the same month.

The worst about this is that the PS4 doesn't currently have a method to back up game data when upgrading the hard drive, so because my hard drive is full and I don't have any disc-based games I have to redownload about 350 gigs of content to my new drive when I install it. drat good thing I have unlimited (and I'm eternally grateful I do every single day). Neither does the Xbox One but it doesn't have any way of upgrading the storage capacity, and there's a planned-but-unscheduled update to allow external USB devices as storage.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

slidebite posted:

So I've been noticing an issue with Teksavvy lately and they tell me they are stumped and are opening a ticket with Telus, who, of course said there is nothing wrong with my dsl connection.

I'm on the 25/2 package and have been really happy with my service but lately from about, say 7PM to Midnight my download speeds have dropped drastically.

Instead of 25/3 I generally get 4/3 or maybe 10/3 if I am lucky.

It is worth noting my pings seem unaffected and my tracerts show good with no loss even when it's at its worst. It seems to the uneducated me strictly a bandwidth issue at peak time.

I have tried speedtesting with 3 different computers and the same issue, including plugging my laptop directly in at the modem.

Is that common with DSL?

They are asking Telus to do checks during the window of problems because if they do in the middle of the day or off hours, it will be fine.

One thing you could do is go and download http://www.wireshark.org/download.html . This is a packet tracer and will get you actual diagnostics, as opposed to just icmp based results. The program is not exactly consumer friendly but you should be able to find the tracer function and run that for 20 seconds during your down time. Make sure you close everything except for ONE internet using application, exit out of steam/skype/etc.

Once that's done scroll through the list of packets sifted and check for warnings about tcp retransmission, or sketchy timestamps. If you can't get anything out of the diagnosis then you can always save the data and then email it to someone important at your isp. It may not be the bottom tier customer support, but if someone important sees a wireshark file being sent with a complaint they'll take it much more seriously.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kachunkachunk posted:

Are your pings fine because you're prioritizing ICMP? Ensure that's off. But yeah, that's not normal for DSL, no.
Googling what that is, that's not something I would have played with so it would be the default Win 7 setup and my search-fu shows how to change that for earlier windows just to double check. Either way, my speeds seem to be fine 21 hours out of the day so I kind of doubt it.

Methanar posted:

One thing you could do is go and download http://www.wireshark.org/download.html . This is a packet tracer and will get you actual diagnostics, as opposed to just icmp based results. The program is not exactly consumer friendly but you should be able to find the tracer function and run that for 20 seconds during your down time. Make sure you close everything except for ONE internet using application, exit out of steam/skype/etc.

Once that's done scroll through the list of packets sifted and check for warnings about tcp retransmission, or sketchy timestamps. If you can't get anything out of the diagnosis then you can always save the data and then email it to someone important at your isp. It may not be the bottom tier customer support, but if someone important sees a wireshark file being sent with a complaint they'll take it much more seriously.
I will try that thanks. Since it reads the same on my other PCs I'm a little skeptical it's a PC thing though :(

I also checked my network and made sure nobody was stealing my signal during those times just to be safe. Only thing that showed was the PC I was on at the time and my nest thermostat which is always on.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Oof, sorry for wasting your time Googling that. Prioritizing ICMP (pings fall under ICMP, type 6, I think) is something a consumer router might give you a checkbox for, and more sophisticated routers might have QoS or priority configurations for it. But Windows itself doesn't really muck around with traffic priority where you could be interested (exception being stuff like Background Intelligent Transfer Service (or something close to that) in domain environments, using Windows Server Update Services).
TL;DR: I wasted your time with that recommendation, sorry! It's very likely a DSL/ISP issue, and sounds like throttling.

That said, it sounds like well-handled shaping/throttling if pings aren't delayed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kachunkachunk posted:

Oof, sorry for wasting your time Googling that. Prioritizing ICMP (pings fall under ICMP, type 6, I think) is something a consumer router might give you a checkbox for, and more sophisticated routers might have QoS or priority configurations for it. But Windows itself doesn't really muck around with traffic priority where you could be interested (exception being stuff like Background Intelligent Transfer Service (or something close to that) in domain environments, using Windows Server Update Services).
TL;DR: I wasted your time with that recommendation, sorry! It's very likely a DSL/ISP issue, and sounds like throttling.

That said, it sounds like well-handled shaping/throttling if pings aren't delayed.

No worries. Interesting with the throttling idea, but Teksavvy swears they don't and I'm sure Telus wouldn't do it to their wholesaler.

hahaha, who am I kidding. If they could they probably would. I'll ask them about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Teksavvy denies there would be any throttling or shaping so now the ticket is at their :siren: TIER 3 :siren: support.

Whatever that means.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It means you're finally getting close to having someone who knows what they're talking about look at it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there a big difference between cable or DSL on Teksaavy? I'd be in a shaw/telus area and they both have 25Mbs plans, I think with the DSL being 2Mbs up and cable 2.5.

So:

Cable 25/2.5 - unlimited $45
DSL 25/2 - unlimited $55

Leaning towards the cable not only because it is cheaper but also the higher top end (it goes up to 100 in my area).

Is it pretty dependent on who you share the network segment with for what kind of speeds you get?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

priznat posted:

Is there a big difference between cable or DSL on Teksaavy? I'd be in a shaw/telus area and they both have 25Mbs plans, I think with the DSL being 2Mbs up and cable 2.5.

So:

DSL 25/2 - unlimited $55

Leaning towards the cable not only because it is cheaper but also the higher top end (it goes up to 100 in my area).

Is it pretty dependent on who you share the network segment with for what kind of speeds you get?

It is extremely dependent on your area. I was on DSL 25/2 (via Bell in Montreal) and would have sync issues pretty much daily, sometimes for hours at a time (I would get about 5 seconds of connectivity, then it would go down for 2 minutes, rinse repeat). Ultimately got fed up, paid $65 for a changeover to Videotron-based cable and I've had like one half-hour service interruption in the year since the changeover.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

univbee posted:

It is extremely dependent on your area. I was on DSL 25/2 (via Bell in Montreal) and would have sync issues pretty much daily, sometimes for hours at a time (I would get about 5 seconds of connectivity, then it would go down for 2 minutes, rinse repeat). Ultimately got fed up, paid $65 for a changeover to Videotron-based cable and I've had like one half-hour service interruption in the year since the changeover.

Yeah. In Quebec, cable is pretty much flawless, and Videotron actually seems fair to resellers on their network. But from what I hear about Ontario on Rogers's network... The main thing that drove my decision was I sure as gently caress did not want to deal with Bell and their network, however indirectly. In Quebec, that leaves Videotron.

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I should add I am in the greater Vancouver area. I'd like to just bite the bullet and forgo cable TV so no more optik I guess. Shaw or Teksavvy would be choices.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

It means you're finally getting close to having someone who knows what they're talking about look at it.

That's good news. I'm home at lunch right now and just noticed my connection has been going up and down, hopefully that means someone is checking into it. Only problem though is that my connection is good and fast now and it only happens in the evenings. :ohdear:

priznat posted:

So:

DSL 25/2 - unlimited $55

FWIW, other than the issue I'm working through right now with prime time download speeds, my 25/2 package is consistently 25/2.8-2.9

Even now if my connection sucks in the PM when it might be 4.5/2.8. I'm always well over the 2up speed.

Also in Telus land but in Southern Alberta.

e: Here is my current test on a 25/2

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 22, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

the ticket is at their :siren: TIER 3 :siren: support.

I hope this story becomes Kafka-esque and you are still unsatisfied at tier 43 support

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

priznat posted:

So:

DSL 25/2 - unlimited $55

The cable is better if only because you can upgrade speeds and you dont get a bad modem you get a nice docsis 3 modem so it will last some time.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sprawl posted:

The cable is better if only because you can upgrade speeds and you dont get a bad modem you get a nice docsis 3 modem so it will last some time.

Nope. Rogers just released new speed tiers all require a cable modem that can bond 24 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels. No modem that meets these requirements has been approved for third party providers (the best is currently 8 down 8 up). Rogers uses a Hitron 24x8 modem for its own customers, but requires custom firmware that also isn't available to third parties (who can't buy that modem anyway).

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 23, 2014

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

Nope. Rogers just released new speed tiers all require a cable modem that can bond 24 downstream channels and 8 upstream channels. No modem that meets these requirements has been approved for third party providers (the best is currently 8 down 8 up). Rogers uses a Hitron 24x8 modem for its own customers, but requires custom firmware that also isn't available to third parties (who can't buy that modem anyway).

In shaw areas you use a dociss 3 modem because i have shaw And i got shipped out a DCM475 which are very nice modems.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EoRaptor posted:

I doubt Rogers even has 24 downstream channel available for bonding yet. Probably won't have the bandwith until they switch cable service to IPTV.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sprawl posted:

In shaw areas you use a docsis 3 modem because i have shaw And i got shipped out a DCM475 which are very nice modems.

DariusLikewise posted:

I doubt Rogers even has 24 downstream channel available for bonding yet. Probably won't have the bandwith until they switch cable service to IPTV.

It isn't a technical necessity, Rogers is just making it a requirement in order to cost the third party guys a bunch of money and hassle with their customers. Other cable companies can do what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

EoRaptor posted:

Rogers is just making it a requirement in order to cost the third party guys a bunch of money and hassle with their customers.

Goddamnit.