Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

I had a good poke around the convertibles last week at the NY Auto Show. I was actually a bit disappointed with the fit and finish of the interior; the design is much better but the quality is still a little off (things like buttons not being centered in their recesses, that kind of thing.

Star of the show for me was the BMW i8, hoping I can line up one for a review later this year.

The 4C was actually a bit disappointing; the driving position was not great as the wheel is set too high in the dash (and didn't seem to be adjustable) and the paddles on the wheel felt terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sounds like they will be making the Golf R 400. Not sure if it will be sold in the US or not.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My car came with a sunroof. I never ever ever use it. Maybe one time in the three years I've owned my car. On a whim, went to open it the other day and one of the gaskets just loving fell right out onto my head. gently caress sunroofs.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

My car came with a sunroof. I never ever ever use it. Maybe one time in the three years I've owned my car. On a whim, went to open it the other day and one of the gaskets just loving fell right out onto my head. gently caress people who don't take care of their cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I use my moonroof all the time. It owns. I want one of those new fancy XXL moonroofs that some cars are getting that are like basically the whole roof.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I only use my "moonroof" to vent air with only the minimum of the shade pulled if at all.

Those whole roof things would be cool if you were in the back seat and someone was driving you around Yosemite or something, that's about it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Guinness posted:

I use my moonroof all the time. It owns. I want one of those new fancy XXL moonroofs that some cars are getting that are like basically the whole roof.

My A3 has the glass roof and it owns heavily. I also live in the sun-deprived North so I need every ray of sunshine I can get.

E: "owns heavily" was not meant to be a pun. The glass does add weight and shift the CoG up, but the A3 weighs so drat much already it's not really relevant.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I like my crank operated sunroof. Never leaked, nothing to break and doesn't take away much from headroom. It's fun to open it halfway once a year and be deafened by wind noise while losing a few extra MPG on the highway.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/04/2015-mustang-makes-burnouts-brainer.html

Performance driving of any kind nowadays is all down to whether your car knows how to do it. Not whether you know how to do it.

At least it's manual only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Whenever you get a decent day here in New England you better be able to use all possible means to enjoy it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Whenever you get a decent day here in New England you better be able to use all possible means to enjoy it.

I took a long drive the other night with the moonroof open and windows cracked just to enjoy the fresh spring weather. It was magical.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Spring through Autumn I only close my sunroof if it's raining or at night.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Spring through Autumn I only close my sunroof if it's raining or at night.

So you like to drive around with the sun pounding down on you?

I don't get this at all. I just hate sunroofs. Heavy, potentially can break, adds cost for something I don't want, less headroom. Stupid sunroofs. Worst part of the GTI SE package is the sunroof.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

tijag posted:

So you like to drive around with the sun pounding down on you?

I don't get this at all. I just hate sunroofs. Heavy, potentially can break, adds cost for something I don't want, less headroom. Stupid sunroofs. Worst part of the GTI SE package is the sunroof.
You're crazy. I miss my old power moonroof every time its nice outside. Made driving in the sun awesome, driving in the rain awesome, and driving at night awesome.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Cage posted:

You're crazy. I miss my old power moonroof every time its nice outside. Made driving in the sun awesome, driving in the rain awesome, and driving at night awesome.

This may be a product of living in Los Angeles where I'm just trying to avoid being so miserably hot, and opening my car to allow the sun in and my precious A/C out is just a ludicrous idea.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

tijag posted:

This may be a product of living in Los Angeles where I'm just trying to avoid being so miserably hot, and opening my car to allow the sun in and my precious A/C out is just a ludicrous idea.
Well that makes sense. I live in NY, and can survive without AC in the summer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've never owned a car with working A/C and I get car sick if I don't have a window cracked. I'm that dude in the winter with a passenger window cracked with the heat blasting.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've never owned a car with working A/C and I get car sick if I don't have a window cracked. I'm that dude in the winter with a passenger window cracked with the heat blasting.

I'm the dude that hates the sound of air rushing into the windows and so never rolls them down and ALWAYS has the AC on, even when its winter and 'cold'.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I love the big moonroof in my Optima and passengers like that they have the moon-window (what do you call the window in the roof but it doesn't open?) in the rear. I think it looks pretty cool when its cracked open but once you roll it back and that windscreen pops up in the front it looks so silly. I mean I'm glad it's there because I like not having all the wind in the compartment, it just doesn't look very sleek.

Also my 2002 Monte Carlo had a moonroof and I never had a problem with the gaskets in 10+ years. My '98 Corvette has a targa top that some of the gaskets are tearing a little bit but I just keep it out of the rain. I guess they're all specially molded for each car so I assume its an expensive part.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Seconding that I love my Optima's panoramic moonroof. It adds a nice amount of light in the car when the sun shades are retracted and gives me another option to enjoy nice weather. It also gives the exterior a nice look with the all black roof contrasting against the paint color.

It doesn't even take all that much headroom away.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend got his M235i 6-spd a few days ago and I got a ride in it today. Nice car, smaller than it looks in photos. Comfy cabin, and it's unbelievably quiet. He got the M sport exhaust and the only sounds you get from it is popping on decel, I can't imagine the stock exhaust being any quieter. Power is lusciously smooth, I think it's deceptively fast because it's so smooth and quiet.

In other news, the 2015 Sonata looks pretty good in this picture, I'm considering buying one when they come out. Probably a horrible poverty spec one though :(

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

T-tops 4 life :cool:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tijag posted:

I live in Miami and my favorite thing is cruising down residential roads with the windows down and the A/C on full foot vents.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was the guy in winter in PA with the top down on my convertible if it wasn't snowing. I miss my personal fleet having a topless option, but my wagon is way more practical. Sigh. Growing up sucks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ziploc posted:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/04/2015-mustang-makes-burnouts-brainer.html

Performance driving of any kind nowadays is all down to whether your car knows how to do it. Not whether you know how to do it.

At least it's manual only.

factory line lock kinda owns

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

factory line lock kinda owns

This. Sure you can do a burnout by balancing throttle and brake, but why put unnecessary wear on the rear pads?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only problem I see with this is all of the disclaimers about how "racing voids your warranty". They're going to set a counter in the computer that shows how many times you've used this, and they're going to wave it in your face when you blow something up.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you beat the poo poo out of a car you rely on and then take it back to the dealership when it blows, you're probably stupid anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

If you beat the poo poo out of a car you rely on and then take it back to the dealership when it blows, you're probably stupid anyway.

Have you seen the average Mustang / Camaro / tuner-car forum?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

NASIOC posted:

Blown motor? Just convert it back to stock and take it in for warranty work.

The sad part is that it occasionally works.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, I have, and you only reinforce my point.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never found an even half decent mustang forum period.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I put the roof down and the heat on in the winter :shobon:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

actionjackson posted:

Sounds like they will be making the Golf R 400. Not sure if it will be sold in the US or not.

That thing certainly isn't going to be cheap

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

That thing certainly isn't going to be cheap

I'm assuming low 40's starting if we ever get it. I think it's interesting and would probably be a lot of fun, but there's a lot of competition once you start getting to that price range.

I kind of want to know why they didn't put the 5 cylinder in it. What else has it been in other than the TT-RS? Seems like a waste of what is supposed to be a pretty awesome engine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

I'm assuming low 40's starting if we ever get it. I think it's interesting and would probably be a lot of fun, but there's a lot of competition once you start getting to that price range.

I kind of want to know why they didn't put the 5 cylinder in it. What else has it been in other than the TT-RS? Seems like a waste of what is supposed to be a pretty awesome engine.

The fact that it's the same EA288 that's in the standard Golf R with some "minor" changes is pretty incredible though.

If it came to the US I'd look at it for low to mid 40s probably, but I worry that it would be too 'hard' and would betray the nice blend of compromise the normal R has. I don't like the neon yellow bits much either, but I suppose the production version would differ from the concept. Really, I'd much rather have that Golf R wagon that's been spied racing around.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Mutang6g (lol at using 6G for a mustang forum) looks to have some option prices for the 2015.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-options-1661.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Yes, I have, and you only reinforce my point.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean there won't be some uproar when people realize this is going to happen. Nissan did it with the GT-R, and in their case launch control was so aggressive that it did actually break poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

I'm assuming low 40's starting if we ever get it.

No way in hell. R is what, 35? Think mid 40s, maybe a touch higher. This is going to be extremely limited edition and won't have any trouble selling to VW fanboys if no-one else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

ilkhan posted:

Mutang6g (lol at using 6G for a mustang forum) looks to have some option prices for the 2015.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-options-1661.html

Is ford still using as400? God I hate that program.