Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

CLAM DOWN posted:

I regret not rolling with the character name Blogan Blackeray.

The obvious answer is to delete and reroll. This includes deleting everything in bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Well, in so far as gems can be converted directly to gold, the game's always been pay to win in some capacity. I mean, when I get a new character to 80, I could just sink a few thousand dollars into the game and have a character loaded up with legendary weapons, ascended armor, ascended back and amulet, and exotic rings and accessories. It's silly, but it's entirely doable.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
The same way you can dump thousands of gold into a goldseller and be kitted out in top crafted geer in Rift or WoW.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

kafziel posted:

Well, in so far as gems can be converted directly to gold, the game's always been pay to win in some capacity. I mean, when I get a new character to 80, I could just sink a few thousand dollars into the game and have a character loaded up with legendary weapons, ascended armor, ascended back and amulet, and exotic rings and accessories. It's silly, but it's entirely doable.

Well yeah, but while that is possible no would care if someone did that beyond endlessly making fun of them for doing it. Pay to win carries a nasty stigma because of how it has the ability to really water down the competitive side of the experience for many players. Nothing in GW2's cash shop does that.

Also, that only applies directly to legendaries. The rest of the ascended gear requires that the player earn it through in game activities. Although, you can buy yourself out of the crafting material time gates.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Tried Rousing Resilience (Warrior Defense trait) in sPvP.

Pro
1,000 toughness when you break out of stun for 4 seconds with no cooldown. Say gently caress you to any direct damage dealers.

Con
Stun and stun breakers have long cooldown so either can't be used often, making it useless most of the time. Also everybody's using condition anyway so you need condition removers. If you're using Hammer then you need to drop either Merciless Hammer or Cleansing Ire, which are both quite good to drop when using Hammer. I don't use Hammer as my main weapon anyway so gently caress Merciless Hammer :colbert:

Overall it increases your defense against some builds that involve direct damages, and will let you survive longer when you're stunned. But since ANet made it so easy to apply conditions and yet so hard to remove them, it doesn't make any difference against condi builds. Probably slightly more useful than Defy Pain since you can trigger it any time you get stunned.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

kafziel posted:

Well, in so far as gems can be converted directly to gold, the game's always been pay to win in some capacity.

Pay to win means you pay to get an advantage. There's no advantage from buying gold for real money because it doesn't give you access to anything that anyone who plays the game without converting gems for gold has access to.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Even getting earlier access to stuff that others can get to on their own is not pay to win. Pay to win is literally giving the ability for those who pay money to have a very clear advantage over those who don't pay, in the form of something they absolutely cannot get/do/use in any other fashion.

Arenanet sells cosmestic things in the gemstore so you can feel pretty or items for lazy people like infinite gathering tools/salvage kit. True pay to win would be if they sold a weapon with a higher tier of stats than Ascended but never allowed anyone to get it outside of the gemstore or they sold a new elite skill or something that did insane amounts of damage and couldn't be unlocked any other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daxxVviKvgo

Actually this pretty much sums it up.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Aesis posted:

Tried Rousing Resilience (Warrior Defense trait) in sPvP.

Pro
1,000 toughness when you break out of stun for 4 seconds with no cooldown. Say gently caress you to any direct damage dealers.

Con
Stun and stun breakers have long cooldown so either can't be used often, making it useless most of the time. Also everybody's using condition anyway so you need condition removers. If you're using Hammer then you need to drop either Merciless Hammer or Cleansing Ire, which are both quite good to drop when using Hammer. I don't use Hammer as my main weapon anyway so gently caress Merciless Hammer :colbert:

Overall it increases your defense against some builds that involve direct damages, and will let you survive longer when you're stunned. But since ANet made it so easy to apply conditions and yet so hard to remove them, it doesn't make any difference against condi builds. Probably slightly more useful than Defy Pain since you can trigger it any time you get stunned.

Probably the best stunbreaker and condition remover in the game

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

...and when paired with Trooper runes (previously Soldier) this ability removes two conditions from yourself. I am running with Strength runes now but I miss what Trooper gave me. I still have a healing shout build so I get healed on top of the condition removal and stun breaker.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Jesus that's nutty. I need to roll a warrior.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Crimsonbeak posted:

I really hate dealing with Charr feet nevermind Asura

Something tells me that gasmask was a limited-time gemstore deal, wasn't it? Neat look tho, evokes a kind of SNES-era Samus Aran look.

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 23, 2014

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mechanism Eight posted:

Something tells me that gasmask was a limited-time gemstore deal, wasn't it? Neat look tho, evokes a kind of SNES-era Samus Aran look

It was a living story thing, but yeah, limited time unfortunately.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Just had a solo arena game against a goon with a warrior named Altanna. Good game man, you were almost impossible to put down.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Xavier434 posted:

...and when paired with Trooper runes (previously Soldier) this ability removes two conditions from yourself. I am running with Strength runes now but I miss what Trooper gave me. I still have a healing shout build so I get healed on top of the condition removal and stun breaker.

Also if you're putting 30 points in the toughness line, 10% of your toughness gets converted to power, so it's an extra 100 power for 4s after breaking stun

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lord Grundle posted:

Just had a solo arena game against a goon with a warrior named Altanna. Good game man, you were almost impossible to put down.

Hey thanks. I've been working on not dying. :buddy:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

SlothBear posted:

Hey thanks. I've been working on not dying. :buddy:

I'm terrible at that, myself.

I've been tempted to try out spvp after this patch, but I've always been too busy. After this next week I'll have plenty of time to get slaughtered by worthless pubbies.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Might drop Signet of Stamina for it, and change rune from Melandru to Soldier.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I run a hammer warrior in WvW and between healing sig, adrenal health, quick breathing, trooper runes, and shout healing the amount of damage I can soak up is insane. No problems leaping into a zerg and cracking a bunch of skulls either.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNBiYDbkpjKP78wMEORDwFUY77AQXKkODChNA-T1CBwAcOIA5U/RrSjzKBxqMTyDAAwFAQlmhq7Pw4IAoXHApAYSYE-w

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

rap music posted:

I run a hammer warrior in WvW and between healing sig, adrenal health, quick breathing, trooper runes, and shout healing the amount of damage I can soak up is insane. No problems leaping into a zerg and cracking a bunch of skulls either.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNBiYDbkpjKP78wMEORDwFUY77AQXKkODChNA-T1CBwAcOIA5U/RrSjzKBxqMTyDAAwFAQlmhq7Pw4IAoXHApAYSYE-w

This is a good start, but the meta build is more like this. It's the same general principle but has around 20% more EHP and better condi clears.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNB...3bAs45Ap5YSYA-t

I've won a lot of 3v1s with it.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

ItBurns posted:

This is a good start, but the meta build is more like this. It's the same general principle but has around 20% more EHP and better condi clears.

I had a match against that guy, I hope you were watching.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

I had a match against that guy, I hope you were watching.

lol nope

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ItBurns posted:

you tricked me and now im looking at an idiot

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I need to be as blinding as possible to my enemies.

I still have a loooooooong way to go before I unlock those boots though :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:ssh:
They were all Leprechaun.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Inzombiac posted:

:ssh:
They were all Leprechaun.

Never forget your shame, Holander.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

And yet Team Dota won :c00l:

For "Things associated with Scotland", Holander guessed leprechaun

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Aww, jeeze, there was another Jeopardy and I missed it? Dammit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

For "Things associated with Scotland", Holander guessed leprechaun

Hahaha oh my god Holander never change.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

I LOST ALL THE AUDIO, gently caress HOLANDER

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dukka posted:

I LOST ALL THE AUDIO, gently caress HOLANDER

You are such a failure or arus paid you off.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hahaha oh my god Holander never change.

That's your kid arus.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

jaegerx posted:

That's your kid arus.

That explains so much.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
how do people know when temple events are up now

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

quite the fucker posted:

By being in Orr and looking in map chat, I guess.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

quite the fucker posted:

http://guildwarstemple.com/dragontimer/events.php?serverKey=117&langKey=en

That has some timers for temples

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
There any ways to make a lowbie warr not slow as poo poo? Can't stack travs till 80 :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

There any ways to make a lowbie warr not slow as poo poo? Can't stack travs till 80 :(

Warhorn. Or just use the trait that gives you 25% run speed with a 1-handed weapon.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
24 more 'unlocks' till I can get Arah armor set :smithicide: At least I did the story mode and can take it slow.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowMoo posted:

Warhorn and any banner will stack swiftness a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Aesis posted:

24 more 'unlocks' till I can get Arah armor set :smithicide: At least I did the story mode and can take it slow.

Just to make sure you don't end up spectacularly disappointed... You're aware that the "set" contains your choice of one piece of Arah armor, right?

• Locked thread