Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Did the Ultimo Dragon ever have a notably good match in WWE? I was really excited for him to come in, but nothing comes back from memory really. Watching this Ultimo/Chavo match from Spring Stampede 98 on the Network, it just seems there should be no reason he didn't have some good stuff in WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

89 posted:

Did the Ultimo Dragon ever have a notably good match in WWE?
Not from what I remember, although to be fair I barely saw any of his matches before he was banished to Velocity and tripped during his Mania XX entrance.

Man, they really screwed up with Ultimo. From what I've read, they brought him in assuming he's be just like Rey Mysterio and then proceeded to not do anything with him when they realized he wrestled a completely different style. I seem to remember there also being a story about Vince thinking Ultimo's offense looked weak, which may or may not have been just a rumor some NEWZ site made up.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The big problem with the WCW -> WWF thing is Vince and company seem to have never watched any WCW at all.

Which is how you get something like the Buff Bagwell match and people like Ultimo Dragon being wasted.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Kevin Nash is so big and so sexy.

Anyone have that picture of him with his fan club? I would like to have that on my current hard drive.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

The big problem with the WCW -> WWF thing is Vince and company seem to have never watched any WCW at all.

Which is how you get something like the Buff Bagwell match and people like Ultimo Dragon being wasted.

Knowing Vince's mindset about what a wrestler "should" look like, Buff must have been a tremendous poo poo backstage to only have that one match.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Regrettable posted:

Anyone have that picture of him with his fan club? I would like to have that on my current hard drive.

Biggest I could find. http://i.imgur.com/4h3ZB40.jpg

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

That's goddamn hilarious. It looks like he's at a book club or something.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Knowing Vince's mindset about what a wrestler "should" look like, Buff must have been a tremendous poo poo backstage to only have that one match.

It probably didn't help when Buff's mom called in sick for him to JR.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

JR's reaction to that was pretty great. "While I'm sure you're a nice lady, Marcus is a big boy and I never want to hear you call about any of his business decisions ever again. But feel free to call just to say hello."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I recall reading a rumor that he had a dustup with Shane Helms or someone else backstage.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
An oldie but a goodie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cWekq9XZoI

I remember Nash was posting about training hard after his quad injury in WWE, but someone on Lethal Wrestling found all those pictures of him just eating junk food and sitting on beds hidden on his server. Nash rules.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

natetimm posted:

That's goddamn hilarious. It looks like he's at a book club or something.

http://www.kevinbigsexynash.com/images2004/fanclubdinner/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
His legs are so skinny, no wonder he's got so many leg problems.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I recall reading a rumor that he had a dustup with Shane Helms or someone else backstage.

As well that he complained to JR about Big Show getting a limo and not him.

Bagwell was only around for two weeks or something (he wrestled the RAW match and a couple house show matches) and he just stirred up so much poo poo.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Never seen it before and I lol. I can see why lots of people don't like him but from what I've read/watch, he seems to understand that it's his fans that draws him money and he tries to take care of them. This kind of confirms it for me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Justin Godscock posted:

As well that he complained to JR about Big Show getting a limo and not him.

They pay for him to take a bus everywhere because he's too big to fly, right?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

They pay for him to take a bus everywhere because he's too big to fly, right?

I believe Show has his own bus. Orton definitely does, and I think Cena does as well. Before that he flew like everyone else.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Punk also had a bus. It's a status symbol in the WWE.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They wanted to be like Lex.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nash is just really brazen that it's a carny business where the object is to make money and stay on top of the card to make the most money, not be the best wrestler that ever lived--and the best wrestlers that ever lived rarely make anywhere near the most money or stay on top of the card, so the results speak for themselves.

I can respect that.

I don't like when he lies about how he went about business in WCW to make himself seem more altruistic than that, but in order to be a carny that stays on top and makes the most money, one is obligated to lie, so like John Cena, I respect him yet again.

I don't think anything amuses Kevin Nash more than to hear Jim Cornette whine about good and bad wrestling as if it particularly matters.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I watched Nash's you shoot and a fan had a question making fun of the women in that picture and to Nash's credit he was visibly upset they were being made fun of.

He didn't give a joking or angry response just basically said that that wasn't worth responding too.

To me that definitely says he appreciates all his fans if nothing else and really that's all you can ask of any celebrity. It's the people that pay to see you that make you your money.

The fans also shouldn't be huge douches either but that goes without saying.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nash also likes to wax on about how being a self-serving rear end in a top hat was a benefit to the locker room, and he glosses over a lot of his ego-driven booking that pushed fans away.

All of his upfront carnyisms wouldn't bother me if they didn't affect his performances so negatively. WCW Kevin Nash was an unprofessional dick who cut long promos about insider crap that no one cared about and seemed more interested in amusing himself and ribbing management than entertaining the fans, which was his actual job.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

His legs are so skinny, no wonder he's got so many leg problems.

from what I infer from the Legends of Wrestling episodes (and one in particular) Nash had some leg/knee issues coming into wrestling thanks to his previous experience in basketball. He was a tall guy and played D-1 basketball at Tennessee, so it's not a stretch to imagine he didn't continue with any sort of basketball career (not even "journeyman in Europe") thanks to some bad injuries.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mr. Anderson is pretty universally hated around here now but what was the opinion of Mr. Kennedy during his WWE push pre and post injuring people consistently.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

harperdc posted:

from what I infer from the Legends of Wrestling episodes (and one in particular) Nash had some leg/knee issues coming into wrestling thanks to his previous experience in basketball. He was a tall guy and played D-1 basketball at Tennessee, so it's not a stretch to imagine he didn't continue with any sort of basketball career (not even "journeyman in Europe") thanks to some bad injuries.

Nash was, in fact, a journeyman player in Europe before another round of knee injuries retired him.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Mr. Anderson is pretty universally hated around here now but what was the opinion of Mr. Kennedy during his WWE push pre and post injuring people consistently.

wrestlehut sweetheart

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sweetheart

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WeaponX posted:

Before he left Smackdown he was considered to be "the next Rock" by a lot of Wrestlehut. As soon as he moved to Raw his career nosedived for a variety of reasons, and with it went his Internet Popularity.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Wrestlemania 23 was the first Wrestlemania I watched live. I had no idea who Kennedy or CM Punk was but I HATED Kennedy and wanted Punk to win Money in the Bank. I was so mad when Kennedy won it. Then I stopped watching wrestling for a while after that, and came back to learn Kennedy lost the briefcase. I was happy to learn that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

WeaponX posted:

Like PSP's brief infatuation with The Miz. There's like an automatic 1 month grace period for any new main eventer before we realize they suck.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We're so happy to not be watching Cena vs. Orton XXXXVII that we can't see how bad something is.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Thank you!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Before he left Smackdown he was considered to be "the next Rock" by a lot of Wrestlehut. As soon as he moved to Raw his career nosedived for a variety of reasons, and with it went his Internet Popularity.

I hated him from the start :colbert:

Though I think moving to the live show really exposed his weaknesses in the ring.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He did the avalanche steamroller thing, that was cool. He really made it pop! By that I mean he landed on his own head all the time like a big goof.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

WeaponX posted:

I will forever remember a dumb cheap heat backstage interview he did with Josh Mathews:

"You smell like poop, Mister. No, you smell worse than poop... you smell like Arkansas!!!"

I'll randomly think about it for no reason and crack up.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Was it true no heels were ever allowed to mention Hogan's baldness in promos?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I believe so. It may have even been in Hogan's contract. They even did Hogan's War Bonnet thing to try to cover up his baldness when his hair was starting to recede more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTqJQD4qPs

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Not sure if it was in writing, but Hogan made it very clear his baldness was off-limits in promos everywhere he went. The reason why Hogan left and sued WCW in 2000 was because Russo called him a "bald-headed bitch" at Bash at the Beach that year. Hogan was very serious about it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My understanding that the suit was because Hogan had it specifically written into his contract that other wrestlers weren't allowed to mention his baldness, but I don't actually remember where I heard that so it may well be apocryphal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I generally just read these threads, but the Nash talk, particularly about his fans got me thinking.

Back when I was kid, there was a signing at a local grocery chain to promote a house show.

My cousin and I were huge wrestling fans, so of course we begged our parents to take us, and it being about 10 minutes from our houses, they didn't have much problem dropping us off in line and doing some shopping. We were near the end of a huge line, and we didn't know if we'd make it to the front before the event was over, but we stuck around anyway. We were going to get Diesel's autograph no matter what, drat it.

About 10 people before us, their handler or the agent or whoever, says he's sorry, but the event is over. Alundra Blayze, who is also there, jumps up and can't get out of dodge quick enough. Nash though, says he's staying and signing for everyone. The guy tries telling him they have to go, but eventually realizes he's fighting a losing battle and looking like a dick in the process, so he lets him stick around. Not only did he sign for the rest of the people, but he made sure to have a little conversation with everyone too. I didn't know they'd have stuff to sign, so I brought some picture cut out of some second rate wrestling magazine, and he cracked some jokes about he wasn't as thin or blurry in person.

So even though I know now that Nash could be a huge prick backstage and screwed with a lot of people, I can't think of him as a bad guy. To 10 year old me, what he did back then was the coolest thing in the world.